homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   photo gallery   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > Music Discussion > Sevenstring Guitars
LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter

Sevenstring Guitars Discuss all aspects of seven string guitars here.

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 02-18-2011, 06:16 AM   #1
Shrederick

Fred the Shred won't break the oath.Fred the Shred won't break the oath.Fred the Shred won't break the oath.Fred the Shred won't break the oath.Fred the Shred won't break the oath.Fred the Shred won't break the oath.Fred the Shred won't break the oath.Fred the Shred won't break the oath.Fred the Shred won't break the oath.Fred the Shred won't break the oath.Fred the Shred won't break the oath.Fred the Shred won't break the oath.Fred the Shred won't break the oath.
Feedback Score: 20 reviews
NGD - Strandberg #6 is here!

So, after being subjected to Tosin and Chris' abuse, the flightcase arrived at last and Ola could safely ship #6 to me. After yet another glorious postal failure, I picked her up at the local post office, only to find her unscathed - and in tune.

Here are the girl's specs:
- Zebrano body with tone cavities
- Belly carve, concave body
- Oil finish
- 2 x Lace Alumitone Aluma 90 pickups
- 3-position selector:
.Neck
.Neck + Bridge Parallel In-Phase
.Bridge
- Master volume, master tone
- EGS Series 3 fixed bridge and string locks, black
- 3pc through body maple neck with 2 x mahogany and 4 x carbon fiber laminates, carbon fiber tube + double-acting truss rod, 25.75 25 scale, 24 medium/high stainless frets
- Ebony fretboard
- Trapezoidal Neck Profile

Neck profile is indeed an oddball, yet surprisingly comfy. She has a nice and relatively thick neck that feels "smaller", so to speak. I'm curious as to how this profile affects fatigue over longer periods of playing, which she will experience today, hopefully getting to get some half decent video over the soundcheck.

Anyway, pics - still few of them from me, but I'll add a few far more accomplished shots from Ola himself:

Feel free to ask any questions.
j13777 and quaned like this.

Buy my album, will you? My store | CDBaby
FredBrum.com
Happily endorsed by Jaden Rose Guitars, Bare Knuckle Pickups, Gruv Gear, Sik Pik Picks, PHD Picks and Spectraflex cables
Fred the Shred is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
Seven String

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 02-18-2011, 06:20 AM   #2
Banned

Variant is deemed true by Crom himselfVariant is deemed true by Crom himselfVariant is deemed true by Crom himselfVariant is deemed true by Crom himselfVariant is deemed true by Crom himselfVariant is deemed true by Crom himselfVariant is deemed true by Crom himselfVariant is deemed true by Crom himselfVariant is deemed true by Crom himselfVariant is deemed true by Crom himselfVariant is deemed true by Crom himselfVariant is deemed true by Crom himself
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Nice! If I ever get around to building guitars, I'd love for .strandbergGuitarworks* to be the hardware supplier.
Variant is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-18-2011, 06:40 AM   #3
Deftones Guru.

BrainArt is a splendid one to beholdBrainArt is a splendid one to beholdBrainArt is a splendid one to beholdBrainArt is a splendid one to beholdBrainArt is a splendid one to behold
Congrats, Fred!

Member of the Injustice League with Pooluke41, Jakke and -42.

I am Poi; The Ipu pounding, Ukulele shredding rapey clown, who ruins childhood dreams of balloon animals!
BrainArt is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-18-2011, 06:41 AM   #4
SS.Org's Irish Guy

777 has much to be proud of777 has much to be proud of777 has much to be proud of777 has much to be proud of777 has much to be proud of777 has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Jesus ....ing christ.... OH MY GOD!

Nice!!!!
777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-18-2011, 07:01 AM   #5
dotlike

loktide is his own personal hero.loktide is his own personal hero.loktide is his own personal hero.loktide is his own personal hero.loktide is his own personal hero.loktide is his own personal hero.loktide is his own personal hero.loktide is his own personal hero.loktide is his own personal hero.loktide is his own personal hero.
Feedback Score: 12 reviews
wow, nice. now that's something you definitely don't see every day
loktide is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-18-2011, 07:03 AM   #6
SS.org Regular

georg_f is a jewel in the rough
looks fantastic
yes, that half decent soundcheck video would be cool
georg_f is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-18-2011, 07:37 AM   #7
ss.org Regular

Korpau is on a distinguished road
Holy shit, that is fantastic!
You don't mind donating couple of your guitars to me?
Korpau is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-18-2011, 08:00 AM   #8
Shrederick

Fred the Shred won't break the oath.Fred the Shred won't break the oath.Fred the Shred won't break the oath.Fred the Shred won't break the oath.Fred the Shred won't break the oath.Fred the Shred won't break the oath.Fred the Shred won't break the oath.Fred the Shred won't break the oath.Fred the Shred won't break the oath.Fred the Shred won't break the oath.Fred the Shred won't break the oath.Fred the Shred won't break the oath.Fred the Shred won't break the oath.
Certainly not, if you don't mind donating the vast sums of money they command in return...

FredBrum.com
Happily endorsed by Jaden Rose Guitars, Bare Knuckle Pickups, Gruv Gear, Sik Pik Picks, PHD Picks and Spectraflex cables
Unread 02-18-2011, 08:25 AM   #9
Undecided forever

Empryrean is a name known to allEmpryrean is a name known to allEmpryrean is a name known to allEmpryrean is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
Hows the trapezoidal profile? I'm thinking on trying that too

[ry_z] 4:17 am: You looked tiredness in the face, flexed, and canceled it.
Empryrean is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-18-2011, 08:27 AM   #10
SS.org Regular

Skin Coffin is a glorious beacon of lightSkin Coffin is a glorious beacon of lightSkin Coffin is a glorious beacon of light
Parabens! Looks Awesome!
Skin Coffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-18-2011, 08:29 AM   #11
The Armada

JamesM is pretty much the man.JamesM is pretty much the man.JamesM is pretty much the man.JamesM is pretty much the man.JamesM is pretty much the man.JamesM is pretty much the man.JamesM is pretty much the man.JamesM is pretty much the man.JamesM is pretty much the man.
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
One of my top five favorite guitars of all time.
JamesM is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-18-2011, 09:12 AM   #12
Gearus Pimptasticus
Super Moderator

technomancer is Odin incarnatetechnomancer is Odin incarnatetechnomancer is Odin incarnatetechnomancer is Odin incarnatetechnomancer is Odin incarnatetechnomancer is Odin incarnatetechnomancer is Odin incarnatetechnomancer is Odin incarnatetechnomancer is Odin incarnatetechnomancer is Odin incarnatetechnomancer is Odin incarnatetechnomancer is Odin incarnatetechnomancer is Odin incarnatetechnomancer is Odin incarnatetechnomancer is Odin incarnate
Feedback Score: 36 reviews
Very cool, love the look of Ola's guitars

Incoming
It's a surprise

Site Rules. Read Them.
technomancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-18-2011, 09:17 AM   #13
SS Contributor

kmanick is pretty much the man.kmanick is pretty much the man.kmanick is pretty much the man.kmanick is pretty much the man.kmanick is pretty much the man.kmanick is pretty much the man.kmanick is pretty much the man.kmanick is pretty much the man.kmanick is pretty much the man.kmanick is pretty much the man.
Feedback Score: 14 reviews
that's really cool and unique looking
(man you've got some really nice stuff lately)
so........................how the hell do you tune it?

Axe Fx II in da house
kmanick is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-18-2011, 09:18 AM   #14
The Dirt Guy

SirMyghin is shredding to new heights.SirMyghin is shredding to new heights.SirMyghin is shredding to new heights.SirMyghin is shredding to new heights.SirMyghin is shredding to new heights.SirMyghin is shredding to new heights.SirMyghin is shredding to new heights.
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Empryrean View Post
Hows the trapezoidal profile? I'm thinking on trying that too
Also curious about the trap profile.

I am curious about the pickups too, haven't actually seen someone get them before.

Guitar techs are for sissies.

Learn some damn music theory, don't complain, and you'll be a better person. -Schecterwhore

Show me a truly awesome guitar for under $1000 and I'll show you hateful lies.
SirMyghin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-18-2011, 09:20 AM   #15
Shrederick

Haha! You tune it at the bridge, just like any other headless axe, mate - check the tuning "barrels" where the ball ends are - simple and streamlined.

As for the trapezoidal neck profiles, the one thing left to test is how it affects long term fatigue, which I'll do tonight as I gig. Comfort is surprisingly nice in spite of all the angles, although I predict die-hard wafer thin neck fans won't like it that much.

I haven't tested the pickups adequately through my Vetta rig yet, which I plan to do in a few hours.

FredBrum.com
Unread 02-18-2011, 09:26 AM   #16
has wood for you

scherzo1928 is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/scherzo1928 is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/scherzo1928 is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/scherzo1928 is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/scherzo1928 is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/scherzo1928 is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/scherzo1928 is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/
Oh wow, I thought it only had a zebrano top or veneer. Beautiful axe man.

But... wtf, no red chair pics?
scherzo1928 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-18-2011, 09:30 AM   #17
long ball larry!

adrock is a glorious beacon of lightadrock is a glorious beacon of lightadrock is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
nicccccce
adrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-18-2011, 09:31 AM   #18
Shrederick

The Red Chair will have to wait for tomorrow, as I picked her up and had to take care of a ton of stuff before heading to the gig, so I won't even go home till some 4am.

FredBrum.com
Unread 02-18-2011, 09:32 AM   #19
SS.org Regular

Mindcrime1204 is just really niceMindcrime1204 is just really nice
every luthier in practice needs to look up to this guy...

WARNING: This guitar does not float! DO NOT attempt to surf on it!
Mindcrime1204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-18-2011, 10:21 AM   #20
The Dirt Guy

SirMyghin is shredding to new heights.SirMyghin is shredding to new heights.SirMyghin is shredding to new heights.SirMyghin is shredding to new heights.SirMyghin is shredding to new heights.SirMyghin is shredding to new heights.SirMyghin is shredding to new heights.
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred the Shred View Post

As for the trapezoidal neck profiles, the one thing left to test is how it affects long term fatigue, which I'll do tonight as I gig. Comfort is surprisingly nice in spite of all the angles, although I predict die-hard wafer thin neck fans won't like it that much.

Out of curiousity how thick is it / how thick do you usually run. The most comfy neck I have is .83 - .96 on a nice round C (no shoulders). My other guitars neck is .78-.9 and not nearly as comfy (also no shoulders, but a flat C). It stands to reason that the trap neck would provide a similar feel if you play thumb behind neck ?

Guitar techs are for sissies.

Learn some damn music theory, don't complain, and you'll be a better person. -Schecterwhore

Show me a truly awesome guitar for under $1000 and I'll show you hateful lies.
SirMyghin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-18-2011, 10:23 AM   #21
Giant Fridge Magnet

Ishan has much to be proud ofIshan has much to be proud ofIshan has much to be proud ofIshan has much to be proud ofIshan has much to be proud ofIshan has much to be proud of
If I had the money, that's exactly what I would order I was always intrigued by the trapezoidal neck shape, it seems so simple, it shouldn't work

Current rig : Agile Intrepid Pro with Lace Aluma Deathbar pickup -> Eleven Rack + TC G-Major -> ESI Near 5 Experience
My string tension calculator STC - supports most D'addarrio and Circle K Strings
Ishan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-18-2011, 10:43 AM   #22
Shrederick

I run a variety of profiles, even among my JR's. The most usual profile is slightly thicker and rounder than that of an Ibby, as seen on my JHM, for instance. No shoulders, and a lot of ease switching between thumb over the neck and thumb behind the neck positions.

The trap neck is more noticeable when playing with your thumb over the neck, but it's also interesting to have a flat surface supporting your thumb otherwise. It's hard to describe this thing, to be honest, as it feels quite different, yet has a ton of familiar contact points when you're playing.

FredBrum.com
Unread 02-18-2011, 11:31 AM   #23
A Chap Called Ross

vampiregenocide harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.vampiregenocide harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.vampiregenocide harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.vampiregenocide harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.vampiregenocide harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.vampiregenocide harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.vampiregenocide harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.vampiregenocide harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.vampiregenocide harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.vampiregenocide harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.vampiregenocide harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.vampiregenocide harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.vampiregenocide harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.
Man this is gorgeous. Good to see you finally got it! :P
vampiregenocide is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-18-2011, 11:37 AM   #24
prototyping...

Durero is pretty much the man.Durero is pretty much the man.Durero is pretty much the man.Durero is pretty much the man.Durero is pretty much the man.Durero is pretty much the man.Durero is pretty much the man.Durero is pretty much the man.Durero is pretty much the man.Durero is pretty much the man.
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Congrats! that's a beautiful guitar
Durero is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-18-2011, 11:37 AM   #25
SS.org Regular

HumanFuseBen is shredding to new heights.HumanFuseBen is shredding to new heights.HumanFuseBen is shredding to new heights.HumanFuseBen is shredding to new heights.HumanFuseBen is shredding to new heights.HumanFuseBen is shredding to new heights.HumanFuseBen is shredding to new heights.
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
want want want!!!!
i also want to know how those pickups sound with heavy gain on them. they're P 90s, right?

please check out my band, ARC! fuisiony-metuhlz. Ultimate Warrior approved. 26 strings. www.myspace.com/officialarc
HumanFuseBen is offline   Reply With Quote