homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   photo gallery   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > Music Discussion > Sevenstring Guitars
LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter

Sevenstring Guitars Discuss all aspects of seven string guitars here.

Like Tree50Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 12-22-2010, 08:01 AM   #76
Pantysniffing zombie

JJ Rodriguez has more eRep than he knows what to do with.JJ Rodriguez has more eRep than he knows what to do with.JJ Rodriguez has more eRep than he knows what to do with.JJ Rodriguez has more eRep than he knows what to do with.JJ Rodriguez has more eRep than he knows what to do with.JJ Rodriguez has more eRep than he knows what to do with.JJ Rodriguez has more eRep than he knows what to do with.JJ Rodriguez has more eRep than he knows what to do with.JJ Rodriguez has more eRep than he knows what to do with.JJ Rodriguez has more eRep than he knows what to do with.JJ Rodriguez has more eRep than he knows what to do with.JJ Rodriguez has more eRep than he knows what to do with.JJ Rodriguez has more eRep than he knows what to do with.JJ Rodriguez has more eRep than he knows what to do with.
Feedback Score: 18 reviews
This is the first I've heard anything bad about Ran. There have been a few people here who have gotten them and been quite happy, and they do have a reputation as being pretty nice guitars.

That said, that design looks pretty crappy and amateurish, and this is from someone who generally likes Ran's work.

EDIT: Okay, maybe that's a little harsh, the body doesn't look too bad, but that headstock looks like he just cut a random shape out on a bandsaw and called it a day.
JJ Rodriguez is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
Seven String

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 12-22-2010, 08:05 AM   #77
SS.org Regular

Sudzmorphus is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I useto own 2 RAN RR models.

The 1st one I got had a bit of metal under the nut to stop the strings resting on the f/b. I tried taking it out but no matter how much I or anybody else tried it just didnt work. We ended up making a new block as the one that came with the guitar made the action really high.

The floyd was also a lemon, 2 of the strings were noticably lower then the rest

However after sorting these problems out the guitar was "okay"

The 2nd however was a train wreck. totally dead wood and the finish was printed instead of painted on (was really pissed about that one)

I sold both and bought a caparison couldnt be happier. Personally I'd never go back to RAN.
Sudzmorphus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-22-2010, 08:13 AM   #78
Pantysniffing zombie

JJ Rodriguez has more eRep than he knows what to do with.JJ Rodriguez has more eRep than he knows what to do with.JJ Rodriguez has more eRep than he knows what to do with.JJ Rodriguez has more eRep than he knows what to do with.JJ Rodriguez has more eRep than he knows what to do with.JJ Rodriguez has more eRep than he knows what to do with.JJ Rodriguez has more eRep than he knows what to do with.JJ Rodriguez has more eRep than he knows what to do with.JJ Rodriguez has more eRep than he knows what to do with.JJ Rodriguez has more eRep than he knows what to do with.JJ Rodriguez has more eRep than he knows what to do with.JJ Rodriguez has more eRep than he knows what to do with.JJ Rodriguez has more eRep than he knows what to do with.JJ Rodriguez has more eRep than he knows what to do with.
Feedback Score: 18 reviews
Wow, where did all the Ran horror stories come from?

I've never heard them before, and now there's a whole bunch.

I did get a quote from Ran before, but I got pissed off because when getting the quote, Dariusz would just start tacking on like 400 Euro upcharges for shit. I linked him a picture of a Horizon body shape for reference, and when he returned the quote, it had one of his named on it. I asked about a carved top, and said that was an extra 400 Euro's or something along those lines (this was like 4-5 years ago). By the time I got done adding shit to the quote, I was up to like 4000 Euro's and I hadn't finished speccing it. I just said .... it at that point, why pay just as much for a copy when I could get an actual ESP CS guitar cheaper?

But like I said, I had always heard his guitars were great.
JJ Rodriguez is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-22-2010, 08:22 AM   #79
Br00tal Bubbly Mofo

petereanima is pretty damn metal.petereanima is pretty damn metal.petereanima is pretty damn metal.petereanima is pretty damn metal.petereanima is pretty damn metal.petereanima is pretty damn metal.petereanima is pretty damn metal.petereanima is pretty damn metal.
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnderTheSign View Post
A euro is approx. $1,20-1,30 depending on the day I believe.
More likely between 1,30 - 1,35. Its been in this range for the last 6 weeks, didnt went below 1,30 in months...

Depending on the day of course. Currently its 1,312.

The problem is - you would have to calculate a waiting time of ~14-18 months. In that time it could go to 1 EUR = 1,60 USD again if things go bad, then you are pretty much ....ed (for the second half of your payment).
petereanima is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-22-2010, 08:31 AM   #80
Sir Paul of the Mosh

drmosh is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/drmosh is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/drmosh is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/drmosh is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/drmosh is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/drmosh is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/drmosh is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skin Coffin View Post
The thing about the case was because when I asked him the price, he told me "For flight case to this project please add 160 euros."
So what's wrong with that amount for a good flight case?
drmosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-22-2010, 08:33 AM   #81
Hasta la vista, Baby

Emperoff has much to be proud ofEmperoff has much to be proud ofEmperoff has much to be proud ofEmperoff has much to be proud ofEmperoff has much to be proud ofEmperoff has much to be proud ofEmperoff has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ Rodriguez View Post
Wow, where did all the Ran horror stories come from?

I've never heard them before, and now there's a whole bunch.

I did get a quote from Ran before, but I got pissed off because when getting the quote, Dariusz would just start tacking on like 400 Euro upcharges for shit. I linked him a picture of a Horizon body shape for reference, and when he returned the quote, it had one of his named on it. I asked about a carved top, and said that was an extra 400 Euro's or something along those lines (this was like 4-5 years ago). By the time I got done adding shit to the quote, I was up to like 4000 Euro's and I hadn't finished speccing it. I just said .... it at that point, why pay just as much for a copy when I could get an actual ESP CS guitar cheaper?

But like I said, I had always heard his guitars were great.
Actually, all of the quotes I've got were in the Bernie Rico/KxK price territory, so obviously would chose either of them if I was speccing a custom.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmosh View Post
So what's wrong with that amount for a good flight case?
Nothing, Roter charged 200€ for them
Emperoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-22-2010, 09:16 AM   #82
Call me Charlie :)

CloudAC is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Im aware that two people from here have gotten a RAN, one guy had an explorer shaped with a kickass goat skulls as the inlay.

Another guy got a Blue Cruiser that is actually the first picture in the Cruiser section of their website. It would be good if we can hear from those guys what their thoughts were, especially the guy with the Cruiser since it is a production shape
CloudAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-22-2010, 12:55 PM   #83
Dragonblade629

Hemi-Powered Drone is a glorious beacon of lightHemi-Powered Drone is a glorious beacon of lightHemi-Powered Drone is a glorious beacon of light
He said no up charge for Blackouts, that's pretty awesome! Gonna have to save my money for one of these.
Hemi-Powered Drone is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-22-2010, 01:00 PM   #84
Dragonblade629

Hemi-Powered Drone is a glorious beacon of lightHemi-Powered Drone is a glorious beacon of lightHemi-Powered Drone is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Originally Posted by petereanima View Post
More likely between 1,30 - 1,35. Its been in this range for the last 6 weeks, didnt went below 1,30 in months...

The problem is - you would have to calculate a waiting time of ~14-18 months. In that time it could go to 1 EUR = 1,60 USD again if things go bad, then you are pretty much ....ed (for the second half of your payment).
You can get past that though by getting your currency converted when you make the first payment so you have the necessary amount of euros just sitting in your bank or whatever until you need to pay the second half.
Hemi-Powered Drone is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-22-2010, 01:34 PM   #85
SS.org Regular

CapenCyber is just really niceCapenCyber is just really nice
I have a Ran, I couldn't be happier with it, the workmanship is spectacular, it plays and sounds brilliant too.

The horror stories sound completely alien to me, I have no complaints about the service and would gladly buy another (if I had the money!)
CapenCyber is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-22-2010, 03:06 PM   #86
SS.org Regular

UnderTheSign is a glorious beacon of lightUnderTheSign is a glorious beacon of lightUnderTheSign is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Originally Posted by petereanima View Post

Jeez, if it wasn't for the absolute insane shipping and tax, I'd start orderling LOADS of stuff from the US sometime soon!
UnderTheSign is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-22-2010, 05:31 PM   #87
ss.org Regular

chucknorrishred is a jewel in the rough
hooro stories from hell here, ive always wanted to get a RAN but waiting andg the money just piss me off. i guess thats what to expect when getting a custom, (WAITING).

but ive never heard any horror stories obout RANS other that " they copy body shapes".

avfter the holidays i'll get a slat 7 jackson, then, maybe, put an order down for a custom. i was goin to go with ran but now i need to look around again
chucknorrishred is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-25-2010, 01:23 PM   #88
SevenString n00b

Pete27 will become famous soon enough
oh my
must.....save......money.
Pete27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-30-2010, 03:42 PM   #89
Pretty wisdomous

Jakke is pretty damn metal.Jakke is pretty damn metal.Jakke is pretty damn metal.Jakke is pretty damn metal.Jakke is pretty damn metal.Jakke is pretty damn metal.Jakke is pretty damn metal.Jakke is pretty damn metal.
To those talking about waiting times, the time for this one is 3-4 month for standard features. Got to have one of these, but I just got a universe.... What to do, What do do.....
Jakke is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-26-2011, 01:08 PM   #90
SS.org Regular

JacobShredder is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
they have pictures of a 7 string version up now..mighty sexy.
Skin Coffin likes this.

Rig:
ZWOD-->ISP Decimator-->Peavey XXX-->Mesa Recto 2x12
---Various Shred Guitars---

Good transactions with: Sevenstring, biggness
JacobShredder is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-28-2011, 01:02 PM   #91
Murder Machine

Sepultorture is a glorious beacon of lightSepultorture is a glorious beacon of lightSepultorture is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
sad they only have it for the soap bar sized pickups, i imagine they would charge more to have them routed for passive sized pups

BEARDS: They Instantly Turn Any Man Into A Badass, It's Like Having Machine Guns On Your Face
Sepultorture is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-28-2011, 03:32 PM   #92
ss.org Regular

kromeasdf is on a distinguished road
DO WANT
kromeasdf is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-28-2011, 06:47 PM   #93
Sir Mattafer

Opion is a jewel in the rough
I...think I just found out what my graduation guitar might possibly be

My originals & mix test clips - slowly but surely growing:
http://soundcloud.com/opion
http://www.soundclick.com/members/de...member=opion59
Opion is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-28-2011, 09:53 PM   #94
SS.org Regular

FrostyTheDroMan is a jewel in the rough
What a beautiful, yet aggressive looking guitar! RAN really outdid themselves with this one! I'd kill to get my hands on the 7-string Crusher...

My rock/experimental/metal project, The Infinite Distance. VOCALIST WANTED for online collab!
http://theinfinitedistance.bandcamp.com
https://www.facebook.com/theinfinitedistance

Ibanez RGD7321 w/DiMarzio D-Activators
ESP Eclipse II
Washburn Renegade w/DiMarzio Titans
Ibanez RG8 w/EMG 808x's
SX Furrian w/DiMarzio Fast Track T and Air Classic
Ibanez AW100 CE Acoustic/Electric
FrostyTheDroMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-28-2011, 11:21 PM   #95
SS.org Regular

JacobShredder is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opion View Post
I...think I just found out what my graduation guitar might possibly be
I thought this too since the price is really nice and all, but the horror stories have kinda turned me off

I think I might just pickup a 7621 and customize the hell out of it.

Rig:
ZWOD-->ISP Decimator-->Peavey XXX-->Mesa Recto 2x12
---Various Shred Guitars---

Good transactions with: Sevenstring, biggness
JacobShredder is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-01-2011, 06:14 AM   #96
Sir Mattafer

Opion is a jewel in the rough
Yeah, that has actually been surprising me. I've heard nothing but good about RAN for the past few years I've known their existence and now all of the bad things come out of the woodwork...who knows, maybe someone will take the plunge and see for themselves for the rest of the forum to judge? 'Til then it's back to the drawing board...

My originals & mix test clips - slowly but surely growing:
http://soundcloud.com/opion
http://www.soundclick.com/members/de...member=opion59
Opion is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-01-2011, 06:41 AM   #97
More gear than sense

Dionysian is a jewel in the rough
I'm really thinking of getting one - with a few mods it's actually almost my dream guitar, and Dariusz says he can throw in a 26.5" rosewood neck (for a 6 string guitar) for only $380 more ($160 for 26.5", $220 for the rosewood neck)

I would really love to get one, but the horror stories are really turning me off the idea. Especially considering this is an experimental offer - and with a huge interest in the guitar, it might turn into something like what happened to Emperion (huge demand, production was overloaded and shit hit the fan). I might order one when they have started shipping and I've read some good reviews.

Until then I'm looking at the Jaden Rose Series 2.
Dionysian is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-01-2011, 11:21 AM   #98
SS.org Regular

UnderTheSign is a glorious beacon of lightUnderTheSign is a glorious beacon of lightUnderTheSign is a glorious beacon of light
I don't know if he still does but Markus (ex-Obscura) told me their other guitarist used a RAN when he was in Obscura, back in '06. Mark always said it was a pretty good guitar.

Though TBH, there's a shitload of horror stories on the RGA8 too, yet you guys still buy Ibby's, right?

edit - I had more pics of this axe, I'll see if I can find them
Churchie777 likes this.

SPEEDGURU - fuzz/doom/death
http://www.facebook.com/speedgurudoom
UnderTheSign is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-01-2011, 11:26 AM   #99
SS Contributor

cyril v is a splendid one to beholdcyril v is a splendid one to beholdcyril v is a splendid one to beholdcyril v is a splendid one to beholdcyril v is a splendid one to behold
Feedback Score: 31 reviews
OBSCURA - Ran Guitars
cyril v is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-01-2011, 11:38 AM   #100
Power Metal Cellist

TemjinStrife is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/TemjinStrife is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/TemjinStrife is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/TemjinStrife is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/TemjinStrife is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/TemjinStrife is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/TemjinStrife is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnderTheSign View Post
Though TBH, there's a shitload of horror stories on the RGA8 too, yet you guys still buy Ibby's, right?
Ibanez has plenty of distributors and contact points in the US though, and is a very large company with reasonable amounts of inventory that can afford to eat a few warrantied payments and quickly and easily replace an instrument.

Ran is based far away from the US, and is a small company. Much riskier place to throw a few thousand dollars at.
TemjinStrife is online now   Reply With Quote