homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   photo gallery   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > Music Discussion > Sevenstring Guitars
LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter

Sevenstring Guitars Discuss all aspects of seven string guitars here.

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 07-27-2010, 12:05 PM   #1
ss.org Regular

LxCxExCx will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Cheap (playable) 7-string?

I'm looking at buying a cheap (but playable 7-string for myself (I've been using my youngest brother's 6-string guitar for the most part for the last two months while learning how to play). I'm moving out in less than a month for college and want to continue learning, but I want the extra range of a 7-string...

Anyway, I'm looking at this Douglas. I've heard great reviews from googling and lurking here on sevenstring.org. I'm also looking at a Davison, but I've heard slightly better reviews of these than the Davisons, even though they look nearly identical except the pickups, switch, and name branding (I think they might just be re-branded)... Like the Specs?

Douglas:

Douglas SR-370 7 String Guitar Black at RondoMusic.com

Davison:

Electric Gutiars On Sale with Free Shipping Discount Wholesale To The Public including Davison Guitars

I also intend to go buy a book on 7-strings. I'm not that far into 6-strings so I figure it's good to change now while I still easily can. Lastly, a decent, but cheap amp (this is for a more Metal/Nu-Metal-style of playing, lots of heavy riffs, some solos, etc). Thanks in advance
LxCxExCx is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
Seven String

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 07-27-2010, 01:44 PM   #2
SS.org Regular

spawnsc is a jewel in the rough
since your still kinda new I would advise you to not get a floyd rose guitar but one with a string through body. If you have the experience on how to keep the bridge floated, and how to tune them then go for it.

How much is your budget first off? how is the max you can spend on a 7 string?

also check out this dean it might be a better fit for you and your price range.

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/p...tar?sku=516905
spawnsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-27-2010, 02:00 PM   #3
ss.org Regular

Rapture is a jewel in the rough
I would advise against getting a 7-string before a 6 string.
Rapture is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-27-2010, 02:02 PM   #4
Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator

MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapture View Post
Why?

You know a 7-string has a built in 6-string right?

Need help with setting up a trem?
Need info on your Ibby?
Live in Milwaukee? Please feel free to message me.

New Rules. Read Them.
MaxOfMetal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-27-2010, 02:07 PM   #5
SS.org Regular

blister7321 is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by spawnsc View Post
since your still kinda new I would advise you to not get a floyd rose guitar but one with a string through body. If you have the experience on how to keep the bridge floated, and how to tune them then go for it.

Buy Dean Vendetta VNXM 7 String Electric Guitar | Solid Body Electric Guitars | Musician's Friend
+1

this is an awesome 7 i got one used and its a beast, light good sound i slightly wider tho thin neck than some others just get thicker strings anything under a 60 on top is too floppy with a low action the perfect first 7
blister7321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-27-2010, 02:43 PM   #6
SS.org Regular

Kidneythief is a jewel in the rough
Or maybe a Schecter? They make nice guitars also, and they are not that expensive. Or you could always try to buy a used one.
Kidneythief is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-27-2010, 03:30 PM   #7
ss.org Regular

Stateless is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapture View Post
I would advise against waiting longer to get a 7-string if that's really what you want to play. There's no reason not to make the adjustment as early as possible.

Those who don't create dictate
Stateless is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-27-2010, 03:35 PM   #8
Needs moar Gear.....

BlindingLight7 has much to be proud ofBlindingLight7 has much to be proud ofBlindingLight7 has much to be proud ofBlindingLight7 has much to be proud ofBlindingLight7 has much to be proud ofBlindingLight7 has much to be proud of
DO NOT BUY THE DEAN.

My ex guitar player bought one, within a few weeks of hardcore thrashing and jamming it was already starting to get loose wobbly knobs and buzzing like crazy(fret buzz and pickup hum), it felt really cheap, paper weight wood.

If I had to suggest you get something I'd have to say find something on craigslist or ebay from Ibanez or Schector.
BlindingLight7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-27-2010, 04:01 PM   #9
SS Contributor

xtrustisyoursx is just really nicextrustisyoursx is just really nice
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
I'll wholeheartedly recommend the SR370 to anyone, regardless of their skill level. With a proper setup, it plays like a dream. The stock pickups aren't bad at all, and if you're like me and hate floyds, just block it.
xtrustisyoursx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-27-2010, 04:29 PM   #10
SS.org Regular

blister7321 is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlindingLight7 View Post
DO NOT BUY THE DEAN.

My ex guitar player bought one, within a few weeks of hardcore thrashing and jamming it was already starting to get loose wobbly knobs and buzzing like crazy(fret buzz and pickup hum), it felt really cheap, paper weight wood.

If I had to suggest you get something I'd have to say find something on craigslist or ebay from Ibanez or Schector.

nothing wrong with mine
blister7321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-27-2010, 04:30 PM   #11
ss.org Master

Kapee is a jewel in the rough
Maby an used RG7321? I wouldnt put my money on a cheapo never heard brand 7-stringer.

I would recommend the 7321
Kapee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-27-2010, 04:31 PM   #12
ss.org Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by spawnsc View Post

Buy Dean Vendetta VNXM 7 String Electric Guitar | Solid Body Electric Guitars | Musician's Friend
Price Range? I'd say at or under $210 $250 (inc. tax or shipping)...

And lol I have no idea what you're talking about so I guess you're probably right, although I'll consider what other posters are saying in addition... I guess I could always just get a wah-wah whammy pedal later on? Maybe I'm just thinking too fast, lol.

Ok then, the reviews on that guitar seem really good. Thanks. What about amps?

And do you need a special tuner for a 7-string?

Sorry if I'm asking a lot of questions. Lastly, I'm looking at buying this one book titled "7-String Guitar: An All-Purpose Reference for Navigating Your Fretboard". Something better I should get instead, or should I just use websites (as I have been)?
Unread 07-27-2010, 04:34 PM   #13
ss.org Regular

Quote:
DO NOT BUY THE DEAN.

Hmmm well on the Dean I DO remember reading similar things about it on one site, but I can't recall what site, nor can I find it for the life of me.... people were bitching their heads off which is why I looked at the Douglas and Davison more thoroughly...

I'm trying to avoid used... I just have an awkward feeling about buying instruments (and electronics) used...
Unread 07-27-2010, 04:35 PM   #14
Rainbow In The Dark

Origin is just really niceOrigin is just really nice
Feedback Score: 16 reviews
6 and 7-strings are the same damn thing with one small difference, I started on 7s and easily got used to 6s, I don't see what the big deal is. But I'd recommend fixed bridge too.

A normal guitar tuner should easily suffice; it's just a B note in standard. I don't think you'll need any book dude, honestly it's just notes, it's not that different.

Praise the sun!
Origin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-27-2010, 04:39 PM   #15
ss.org Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtrustisyoursx View Post
I'll wholeheartedly recommend the SR370 to anyone, regardless of their skill level. With a proper setup, it plays like a dream. The stock pickups aren't bad at all, and if you're like me and hate floyds, just block it.
I don't know if I hate floyds XD the only guitar I played on so far was the "Silvertone SSL3 Electric Guitar Pack Vintage Sunburst", a standard which has no tremelo of any sort, and retails with an amp and tuner for a $200 bundle -_-
Unread 07-27-2010, 05:53 PM   #16
SS.org Regular

Phlegethon is a jewel in the rough
well agile probably has some sevens with a hardtail for a good price, also can't go wrong with a used ibanez RG7321/7421/7621 either.

and like it's been mentioned in this thread I would also advise you get one without a trem as well. but if you do want one then there's a few more sevens available to you, like the douglas SR370 you mentioned. agile and ibanez also have their respective offerings which can also be had for really cheap without going into emperion/devries "quality"

Contributing writer for guitars canada: www.guitarscanada.com

Guitar lessons for the Hamilton region in southern ontario in the comfort of your home, contact me via PM or the following email address: odetoanote@gmail.com

Phlegethon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-27-2010, 05:57 PM   #17
Needs moar Gear.....

BlindingLight7 has much to be proud ofBlindingLight7 has much to be proud ofBlindingLight7 has much to be proud ofBlindingLight7 has much to be proud ofBlindingLight7 has much to be proud ofBlindingLight7 has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by LxCxExCx View Post
I could always just get a wah-wah pedal later on? Maybe I'm just thinking too fast, lol.
Wah wah's and tremolo's do two different things, just so you know.
BlindingLight7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-27-2010, 06:15 PM   #18
ss.org Regular

Quote:
Wah wah's and tremolo's do two different things, just so you know.
I meant whammy pedal x_x

Lol, like I said, I am a guitar noob though, so expect a few more idiotic things for me to say.
Unread 07-27-2010, 08:42 PM   #19
ss.org Regular

Just got outbid on this Ibanez by $2 at the last minute by one of those last-minute motherf*ckers (are we allowed to cuss on this forum?) x_x FML:

IBANEZ RG7321 7 STRING ELECTRIC GUITAR BLACK W/CASE - eBay (item 150471683865 end time Jul-27-10 18:31:14 PDT)
Unread 07-27-2010, 11:18 PM   #20
SS.org Regular

Justin Bailey is a name known to allJustin Bailey is a name known to allJustin Bailey is a name known to allJustin Bailey is a name known to all
welcome to ebay
Justin Bailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-27-2010, 11:28 PM   #21
ss.org Regular

Bananalyze is a jewel in the rough
Hey! I have that Douglas guitar in natural Ash!

I do like it, but I wouldn't advise getting it if you aren't prepared for an ugly and frustrating set-up period. I had quite a bit of trouble with the Floyd Rose, and ended up just blocking it.

But besides the bridge, I really like the guitar. If you know how to set it up you can get it to play nicely, and I like the sound of it.

Plus, don't worry about adjusting to the 7 string. I was able to do it pretty quickly, and I'm nearly retarded. So if you're a little smarter than me, you should be fine.

I hope this helps!
Bananalyze is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-28-2010, 02:48 AM   #22
Shrederick

Fred the Shred won't break the oath.Fred the Shred won't break the oath.Fred the Shred won't break the oath.Fred the Shred won't break the oath.Fred the Shred won't break the oath.Fred the Shred won't break the oath.Fred the Shred won't break the oath.Fred the Shred won't break the oath.Fred the Shred won't break the oath.Fred the Shred won't break the oath.Fred the Shred won't break the oath.Fred the Shred won't break the oath.Fred the Shred won't break the oath.
Feedback Score: 20 reviews
I had been playing the guitar for very little time when I got my first seven string. It's as simple to play as a 6, if you're not using the low E as a reference. The one noticeably tougher thing about 7's is just damping in high gain situations, but I don't think you'll have much trouble there unless you're a die-hard tapper and pick like Marty Friedman. Since I do, I had to practice a tad more to get it right.

Buy my album, will you? My store | CDBaby
FredBrum.com
Happily endorsed by Jaden Rose Guitars, Bare Knuckle Pickups, Gruv Gear, Sik Pik Picks, PHD Picks and Spectraflex cables
Fred the Shred is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-28-2010, 07:17 AM   #23
SS.org Regular

spawnsc is a jewel in the rough
i've not heard of those issue before on the Dean
spawnsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-28-2010, 07:46 AM   #24
ss.org Regular

MusicManJP6 is a jewel in the rough
You are on the right track. Go for the Ibanez 7321. I tried the Davison and it is a piece of China made crap!! Looks good on paper and in specs, but I COULD NOT get the action low enough because of construction issues.

I just bought a RG7421 and couldn't be happier...

Fractal AXE-FX Standard | ART SLA-2 | Furman M8X | Pair of EVM12L loaded Mesa 3/4 back 1x12 cabs | Behringer FCB1010 (UnO & Phantom Powered)
Ernie Ball Music Man JP6 (Mystic Dream) | Paul Reed Smith CE24 (Royal Blue) | Peavey Predator Custom | Ibanez RG7421 (Cherry Fudge)
MusicManJP6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-28-2010, 10:49 AM   #25
ss.org Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin Bailey View Post
welcome to ebay
Lol, not nu to eBay but I needed somewhere to express my frustration.