homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   photo gallery   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > Music Discussion > Sevenstring Guitars
LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter

Sevenstring Guitars Discuss all aspects of seven string guitars here.

Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 04-21-2010, 11:13 PM   #1
Devil's Advocate

sepsis311 can only hope to improve
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Down tuning 7 string to F#

Hi guys,
The shit starter is asking for some advice... Before i get flamed, please understand that I tried searching, but you can't really submit a query like "7 string F#" and get results, 7 and F# are too short.

Anyway, I want to tune my ESP LTD H-307 down to F#. Has anyone done this with a 7 string with emg's producing excellent results? Or is the 25.5 scale length way too short? Also, are tapered guitar strings available? Im guessing anything above a .60 would be too thick to fit through the tuner. I figure i'd go with

F# .66
B .56
E .46 so forth

Also, for the 3rd string, could i still get away with an unwound string? The one that is usually a G? Because now it would be a D.

You won't need that anymore. Not anymore. It's on sale at your ....in dollar store.
Alt Today
Seven String

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 04-21-2010, 11:17 PM   #2
Consumer Whore

XeoFLCL is a splendid one to beholdXeoFLCL is a splendid one to beholdXeoFLCL is a splendid one to beholdXeoFLCL is a splendid one to beholdXeoFLCL is a splendid one to behold
I'd consider going with at least a .72 for F#, as anything below that will be flub. Also F# is definitely doable on 25.5", but it won't sound as clear as say a 27" scale.

Also, you can always unwind the tip of the string to get it through the tuner, which is what alot of us do here.

Check out my band, 1371:
www.facebook.com/1371band

¯\(゜Д゜)

¯\(゜Д゜)/¯

¯\(゜Д゜ 三゜Д゜)/¯

"North Korean women in uniforms waving at the traffic, raining from the sky on platforms, hold by giant umbrellas. Scary... just wait until they invent electricity and traffic lights. Imagine traffic lights falling from the sky and just confusing everyone..." - SD83
Unread 04-21-2010, 11:19 PM   #3
Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator

MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Definitely go for something thicker on the F#. Like XeoFLCL said, a .072 would be the thinnest I'd go on a 25.5" scale, and I don't even like super thick strings.

Need help with setting up a trem?
Need info on your Ibby?
Live in Milwaukee? Please feel free to message me.

New Rules. Read Them.
Unread 04-21-2010, 11:41 PM   #4
SS.org Regular

MaKo´s Tethan is shredding to new heights.MaKo´s Tethan is shredding to new heights.MaKo´s Tethan is shredding to new heights.MaKo´s Tethan is shredding to new heights.MaKo´s Tethan is shredding to new heights.MaKo´s Tethan is shredding to new heights.MaKo´s Tethan is shredding to new heights.
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
just an example...I can not find the thread in which some guy tune his apex1 to F sharp.
tuning-for-my-apex.html
dude, you have more neg rep than MetalKen

Unread 04-21-2010, 11:47 PM   #5
\m not jesus land m/

CrushingAnvil is the epitome of metal.CrushingAnvil is the epitome of metal.CrushingAnvil is the epitome of metal.CrushingAnvil is the epitome of metal.CrushingAnvil is the epitome of metal.CrushingAnvil is the epitome of metal.CrushingAnvil is the epitome of metal.CrushingAnvil is the epitome of metal.CrushingAnvil is the epitome of metal.
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
You would be tuned to B standard with a Low F#.

Whoever said "the best things in life are free" hasn't played an 80's RG" - TheSixthWheel
Unread 04-22-2010, 12:11 AM   #6
Devil's Advocate

mako, thanks for the link to that thread. yea i get neg'd all the time, people get easily offended. i wanna try to find sound samples of what a 7 detuned to F# sounds like. also, is it tough to unwind the string? thats an AWESOME idea by the way.

You won't need that anymore. Not anymore. It's on sale at your ....in dollar store.
Unread 04-22-2010, 12:21 AM   #7
\m not jesus land m/

CrushingAnvil is the epitome of metal.CrushingAnvil is the epitome of metal.CrushingAnvil is the epitome of metal.CrushingAnvil is the epitome of metal.CrushingAnvil is the epitome of metal.CrushingAnvil is the epitome of metal.CrushingAnvil is the epitome of metal.CrushingAnvil is the epitome of metal.CrushingAnvil is the epitome of metal.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sepsis311 View Post
mako, thanks for the link to that thread. yea i get neg'd all the time, people get easily offended. thanks for the link! i wanna try to find sound samples of what a 7 detuned to F# sounds like. also, is it tough to unwind the string? thats an AWESOME idea by the way.
Meshuggah used downtuned 7's on the first take of Catch-33 [except they tuned to F - same diff though!]

Whoever said "the best things in life are free" hasn't played an 80's RG" - TheSixthWheel
Unread 04-22-2010, 12:33 AM   #8
Devil's Advocate

thanks for the tip CA. Also, what would you guys do about the third string? Do you use a wound string or unwound? For some reason i dont think i could get used to having a wound string there.

Unread 04-22-2010, 12:49 AM   #9
\m not jesus land m/

Quote:
Originally Posted by sepsis311 View Post
thanks for the tip CA. Also, what would you guys do about the third string? Do you use a wound string or unwound? For some reason i dont think i could get used to having a wound string there.
You could get the G from a 12-54 set.

Unread 04-22-2010, 01:15 AM   #10
Devil's Advocate

but would that G tune down to D without significant flop?

F# 72
B 56
E 46
A 36
D would be 26 wound normally, thats pretty thick.
G
B

Unread 04-22-2010, 01:17 AM   #11
Devil's Advocate

actually i would tune it, F# B E A D F# A#
I just can't see that D being unwound

Unread 04-22-2010, 02:16 AM   #12
Banned

twiztedchild is a splendid one to beholdtwiztedchild is a splendid one to beholdtwiztedchild is a splendid one to beholdtwiztedchild is a splendid one to beholdtwiztedchild is a splendid one to behold
I had my H207 down to f# for about 3 minutes was trying to get it to a G but for some damn reason the string didnt want to go to G, anyways the short time I hade it there it sounded decent to me, Also the string was .59 D'Addario I want to get an 8 string but it may have to be my h207 tuned to F# with thicker strings just so I can have the 8 sound without the 8th string or till I get money to get an 8 string.

anyways, go for it man. I will just gotta get the right size strings
Unread 04-22-2010, 02:26 AM   #13
jebnem potebe volaco

preboha will become famous soon enough
in my opinion the lowest note that still sounds good on a 25,5 scale is G. i can't imagine going any lower, and i am allready using a 72 for the G.
Unread 04-22-2010, 02:38 AM   #14
Banned

twiztedchild is a splendid one to beholdtwiztedchild is a splendid one to beholdtwiztedchild is a splendid one to beholdtwiztedchild is a splendid one to beholdtwiztedchild is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by preboha View Post
in my opinion the lowest note that still sounds good on a 25,5 scale is G. i can't imagine going any lower, and i am allready using a 72 for the G.
thats usally what I have mine tuned to, and it workes fine with the 59 also it is like Drop D, but with the Low B droped down to g and the rest tuned to D standed sorta like a Korn tuning I guess
Unread 04-22-2010, 05:46 AM   #15
Formerly Lern2Swim

Ben.Last is a glorious beacon of lightBen.Last is a glorious beacon of lightBen.Last is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Originally Posted by twiztedchild View Post
thats usally what I have mine tuned to, and it workes fine with the 59 also it is like Drop D, but with the Low B droped down to g and the rest tuned to D standed sorta like a Korn tuning I guess
Korn have always tuned to A standard.
Unread 04-22-2010, 05:54 AM   #16
Random Swede

Hypothermia is a jewel in the rough
I recently started tuning my Schecter C-7 with 26,5" scale to FBEADGB

and i use a .80 for the low F, i would NEVER EVER go any thinner than that concidering how almost flobby it is
Unread 04-22-2010, 05:55 AM   #17
(((Ω)))

simonXsludge is his own personal hero.simonXsludge is his own personal hero.simonXsludge is his own personal hero.simonXsludge is his own personal hero.simonXsludge is his own personal hero.simonXsludge is his own personal hero.simonXsludge is his own personal hero.simonXsludge is his own personal hero.simonXsludge is his own personal hero.simonXsludge is his own personal hero.
i tuned my 26.5 scale ibanez RGD to F with a .074 string and it works fine. i would recommend to try the same gauge for F# on a 25.5.
Unread 04-22-2010, 01:08 PM   #18
ss.org Regular

darbdavys is a jewel in the rough
Using .70 for F# on JP7, sounds and feels great. not too floppy, imo

The whole image is that eternal suffering awaits anyone who questions God's infinite love. That's the message we're brought up with, isn't it? Believe or die! Thank you, forgiving Lord, for all those options.
Unread 04-22-2010, 02:45 PM   #19
SS.org Regular

guitarplayerone is a name known to allguitarplayerone is a name known to allguitarplayerone is a name known to allguitarplayerone is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
the biggest thing on tuning to F# at 25.5" scale is that if you have an aggressive attack on the string, it will first be sharp in pitch and then return to regular pitch whenever you hit it with your pick. i forget what the technical terminology for this is, but it has to do with the way that the string will vibrate- the oscillations will rise in frequency for a while and then return to pitch. if you pick lightly, this wouldn't be an issue, but if you pick a bit harder, it will.i have to be honest, i haven't used proper (>.070) gauge strings to try this when i did, i suspect that a nice thick string will help alleviate this issue, but have no personal experience with it.

but it also depends what you use for amping. there's a reason why people seem to like either long scale length of engls, i've noticed that my engl almost 'recreates' the effect of a long scale length with its midrangey attack, though my buddy's interceptor can djent through just about anything (including Sunn amps and mesas) at 28 5/8". but it really seems that depending on what you are planning on using this for, and considering your current amp situation, it might make more sense to sell your esp and just get an 8 instead of potentially having to change around your strings, and then a whole bunch of other stuff. what are you planning to do with this F# and what will you be running it through

i mean FWIW all of schecter's 8's are 26.5" scale and there's the 25.5" esp. but the esp is really intended for high a (but ships with an F# from what i remember).

so i guess track down some FM408 owners and ask them what they use
Unread 04-22-2010, 06:06 PM   #20
Army Without A Flag

All_¥our_Bass is shredding to new heights.All_¥our_Bass is shredding to new heights.All_¥our_Bass is shredding to new heights.All_¥our_Bass is shredding to new heights.All_¥our_Bass is shredding to new heights.All_¥our_Bass is shredding to new heights.All_¥our_Bass is shredding to new heights.
It can be done but be prepared to play with string gauges a lot.

I'm a freak who uses a 100 gauge elixir bass string for F on a 25.5" scale.

No Nation. No Philosophy. No Ideology.
Unread 04-22-2010, 06:46 PM   #21
ALL HAIL DJOD

Rick is Odin incarnateRick is Odin incarnateRick is Odin incarnateRick is Odin incarnateRick is Odin incarnateRick is Odin incarnateRick is Odin incarnateRick is Odin incarnateRick is Odin incarnateRick is Odin incarnateRick is Odin incarnateRick is Odin incarnateRick is Odin incarnateRick is Odin incarnate
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Mnemic uses 7 strings for F# standard, I don't know their gauges, though.

Head of Agile Gestapo

Line 6 XDS95-->Line 6 POD X3 Pro-->Matrix GT800FX-->Line 6 Spidervalve 4x12 cabinet
Unread 04-23-2010, 09:20 AM   #22
SS.org Regular

Monk is a splendid one to beholdMonk is a splendid one to beholdMonk is a splendid one to beholdMonk is a splendid one to beholdMonk is a splendid one to behold
I had pretty good results tuning my APEX1 down to F#

http://www.sevenstring.org/forum/sev...pex1-in-f.html

Unread 04-28-2010, 09:58 AM   #23
SS.org Regular

6Christ6Denied6 is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by XeoFLCL View Post
I'd consider going with at least a .72 for F#, as anything below that will be flub. Also F# is definitely doable on 25.5", but it won't sound as clear as say a 27" scale.

Also, you can always unwind the tip of the string to get it through the tuner, which is what alot of us do here.
or you could use a drill like me
Unread 04-28-2010, 09:59 AM   #24
SS.org Regular

6Christ6Denied6 is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
i use a 70 for my low F on a 26.5 sclale, though i will probably get a 74 next time because i like them on the tight side,
Unread 04-28-2010, 01:26 PM   #25
LOLKATYPERRYGUY

DrewsifStalin is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/DrewsifStalin is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/DrewsifStalin is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/DrewsifStalin is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/DrewsifStalin is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/DrewsifStalin is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/DrewsifStalin is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/
I tuned to F on my 25.5 with a .54 and it wasn't that bad...

Edit: .56
Closed Thread