homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   photo gallery   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > Music Discussion > Sevenstring Guitars
LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter

Sevenstring Guitars Discuss all aspects of seven string guitars here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 03-24-2010, 08:16 PM   #1
ss.org Regular

mZappaz is on a distinguished road
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Bernie Rico Jr. Custom Shop guitars.

Alright, I posted a thread up here to help me choose a custom shop to build my next guitar (a seven string). It all seemed to boil down to Bernie Rico Jr. custom guitars. What do you guys think of those guitars.

If you own a Bernie Rico Jr. guitar then please put a review or at leased tell me what you think.

The best guitar that i have ever played so far was a paul reed smith 513 (followed by a musicman axis+jp7 model i also liked the ibanez jem and joe satriani guitar.)the 513 felt really tough and heavy and solid it felt like a piece of stone and the sound seemed to come from the whole guitar when i played it + the sustain+ the tone. without an amp it just felt resonant and light sounding (vibrations traveled through it easiliy it felt like not like they were deadened.) but at the same time it felt solid and well build (like a solid piece of smooth stone but lighter) im looking for a guitar kindof like that.

i have a Gibson les paul now. The finish is sticky sometimes it feels like its still drying i question the quality of the neck it less sturdy although it has a really nice fretboard. i question the quality of the pickups there is still some hum on the hum-buckers do to horrible grounding. i get shocked from it when i touch headphone jacks when im plugging then into my ipod. i get electrocuted when i touch microphones ( lol not that extreme but its worse then just touching the headphones) anyways... enough complaining lets hear your reviews guys. and if you want to reccomend any other custom shop then sure.
mZappaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
Seven String

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 03-24-2010, 08:23 PM   #2
Turd Ferguson

yellowv can play Erotomania with his toes.yellowv can play Erotomania with his toes.yellowv can play Erotomania with his toes.yellowv can play Erotomania with his toes.yellowv can play Erotomania with his toes.yellowv can play Erotomania with his toes.yellowv can play Erotomania with his toes.yellowv can play Erotomania with his toes.yellowv can play Erotomania with his toes.yellowv can play Erotomania with his toes.yellowv can play Erotomania with his toes.yellowv can play Erotomania with his toes.yellowv can play Erotomania with his toes.
Feedback Score: 21 reviews
Rico is on par with or above anything else you will find in the custom world. Great quality while having reasonable prices and sane wait times. Don't hesitate.
yellowv is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-24-2010, 08:37 PM   #3
ss.org Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowv View Post
Rico is on par with or above anything else you will find in the custom world. Great quality while having reasonable prices and sane wait times. Don't hesitate.
have you had much experience with them?
Unread 03-24-2010, 08:53 PM   #4
SS.org Regular

guitarplayerone is a name known to allguitarplayerone is a name known to allguitarplayerone is a name known to allguitarplayerone is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by mZappaz View Post
i have a Gibson les paul now...i get shocked from it when i touch headphone jacks when im plugging then into my ipod. i get electrocuted when i touch microphones ( lol not that extreme but its worse then just touching the headphones) anyways... enough complaining lets hear your reviews guys. and if you want to reccomend any other custom shop then sure.
dude WTF, go ground your guitar , its a really simple bit of wiring.
guitarplayerone is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-24-2010, 09:51 PM   #5
Banned

mrhankey87 is a glorious beacon of lightmrhankey87 is a glorious beacon of lightmrhankey87 is a glorious beacon of light
google and ss.org search is your friend, you'll find plenty of rico jr reviews and responses.
mrhankey87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-24-2010, 10:10 PM   #6
SS.org Regular

adaman is just really niceadaman is just really nice
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
I love my Rico, the build quality is amazing! I am so impressed with it that I am in the process of saving up for another custom 7.
adaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-24-2010, 10:11 PM   #7
Extended Ranger

Hollowway is deemed true by Crom himselfHollowway is deemed true by Crom himselfHollowway is deemed true by Crom himselfHollowway is deemed true by Crom himselfHollowway is deemed true by Crom himselfHollowway is deemed true by Crom himselfHollowway is deemed true by Crom himselfHollowway is deemed true by Crom himselfHollowway is deemed true by Crom himselfHollowway is deemed true by Crom himselfHollowway is deemed true by Crom himselfHollowway is deemed true by Crom himself
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
I just traded shreditup for a Jekyll 7 string, and am really happy with it. I've only had it for 48 hrs, so I haven't done an NGD, but I was glad to see the quality, because I've got an order for a Jekyll 828 on order thru Nick (Zimbloth) on here. I'm gonna tell you to PM him and ask him about BRJ, because Nick knows his stuff, is a dealer of high end guitars, and can pretty much answer any questions you have about what you're looking for. But I wouldn't hesitate to order a Rico Jr based on quality, and the fact that he builds in reasonable amounts of time doesn't hurt either.
Hollowway is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-24-2010, 10:13 PM   #8
ss.org Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarplayerone View Post
dude WTF, go ground your guitar , its a really simple bit of wiring.
yup i just fixed it. a guitar shouldnt come from the factory like that tho
Unread 03-24-2010, 10:17 PM   #9
ss.org Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollowway View Post
I just traded shreditup for a Jekyll 7 string, and am really happy with it. I've only had it for 48 hrs, so I haven't done an NGD, but I was glad to see the quality, because I've got an order for a Jekyll 828 on order thru Nick (Zimbloth) on here. I'm gonna tell you to PM him and ask him about BRJ, because Nick knows his stuff, is a dealer of high end guitars, and can pretty much answer any questions you have about what you're looking for. But I wouldn't hesitate to order a Rico Jr based on quality, and the fact that he builds in reasonable amounts of time doesn't hurt either.
i emailed him before and we have only talked once! he was really helpfull and then we never got around to talking again. so i messaged him the other day... he seemed interested in chatting some more but he hasn't yet. i dont know if i should wait till a time where my fathers not around (because hes always using the phone) and call him or what.
Unread 03-30-2010, 01:31 PM   #10
SS.org Regular

DIOBOLIC5150 is the epitome of metal.DIOBOLIC5150 is the epitome of metal.DIOBOLIC5150 is the epitome of metal.DIOBOLIC5150 is the epitome of metal.DIOBOLIC5150 is the epitome of metal.DIOBOLIC5150 is the epitome of metal.DIOBOLIC5150 is the epitome of metal.DIOBOLIC5150 is the epitome of metal.DIOBOLIC5150 is the epitome of metal.
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I got to play a bunch of Rico Guitars when I was at his shop a while back. They are amazing instruments! I'm really excited and I can't wait for mine to be completed. Bernie is a great guy to deal with. He's always really busy, but don't hesitate to call him if you have questions about your build idea. He'll take care of you.
DIOBOLIC5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-30-2010, 04:22 PM   #11
Of Blood and Sawdust

JaeSwift is a glorious beacon of lightJaeSwift is a glorious beacon of lightJaeSwift is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
A local ''guitar hero'' here has 2 Rico Jr. Jekyll 7's, and they are of insane quality. I've played a Blackmachine before (which is regarded as one of the highest of the high end) and it matches it's quality easily.

I can't comment about the service, build times or anything else, but I know a solid guitar when I see one and this was definetly it. That, and the tone was through the roof, it was acoustically so incredibly loud that it was almost like playing through a 15 watt amp with the volume on 2.

I was very impressed, and if I'de get a custom I'de be going for BRJ aswell.
JaeSwift is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-30-2010, 04:45 PM   #12
SS Contributor

kmanick is pretty much the man.kmanick is pretty much the man.kmanick is pretty much the man.kmanick is pretty much the man.kmanick is pretty much the man.kmanick is pretty much the man.kmanick is pretty much the man.kmanick is pretty much the man.kmanick is pretty much the man.kmanick is pretty much the man.
Feedback Score: 14 reviews
I've played a bunch of them over at the Axe-Palace and
I liked them so much that I had to order one.

Axe Fx II in da house
kmanick is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-30-2010, 06:52 PM   #13

-Nolly- can play Erotomania with his toes.-Nolly- can play Erotomania with his toes.-Nolly- can play Erotomania with his toes.-Nolly- can play Erotomania with his toes.-Nolly- can play Erotomania with his toes.-Nolly- can play Erotomania with his toes.-Nolly- can play Erotomania with his toes.-Nolly- can play Erotomania with his toes.-Nolly- can play Erotomania with his toes.-Nolly- can play Erotomania with his toes.-Nolly- can play Erotomania with his toes.-Nolly- can play Erotomania with his toes.-Nolly- can play Erotomania with his toes.
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I hate to be one of those guys who recommends stuff they haven't tried yet.. but from talking with many Rico owners, and spending a few hours on the phone with Bernie himself I am almost 100% certain that my incoming Jekyll 727 is going to kick ass.
-Nolly- is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-30-2010, 07:16 PM   #14
pixel pusher

mikernaut is his own personal hero.mikernaut is his own personal hero.mikernaut is his own personal hero.mikernaut is his own personal hero.mikernaut is his own personal hero.mikernaut is his own personal hero.mikernaut is his own personal hero.mikernaut is his own personal hero.mikernaut is his own personal hero.mikernaut is his own personal hero.
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
hah I need to have a stock answer sheet I can copy and paste my response from as I can't help but raving about my Rico. everytime a thread like this pops up.

I've owned plenty of quality guitars. Jackson customs, Esp customs., Parker , a few Ibanez's, BC Rich Customs, Flaxwood. blah blah blah. But when I received my Rico from Nick (Zimbloth) I was instantly blown away within minutes of playing it. It was soo responsive and immaculate in craftsmanship. The sustain and note clarity was like
The Bareknuckle pickups in it can't hurt either.

It was just on another level from any of the 25+ guitars I have owned.
So after about 30 mins of owning it I had already decided to order up a 7 string. Most guitars are gonna have their positives and negatives and alot of things will come down to personal preference and opinion, but for me these are excellent artful tools.
The only thing I can think of is if I could add a Piezo to it.

Now I've always heard good things about PRS's too but have yet really to play one so I can't compare it to that. Visually I have never been turned on by PRS's so I have never sought one out to test.

Ofcourse BlackMachines are another much sought after guitar that one day I would love to try and compare next to the Rico.

I've almost found that the Rico has kinda spoiled me because everything gets judged against it now. Although I do also love my LPC for different reasons and some of the ESP customs are still pretty stellar. (although $1000-$1500 more expensive then a Rico)
mikernaut is offline   Reply With Quote