homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   photo gallery   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > Music Discussion > Sevenstring Guitars
LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter

Sevenstring Guitars Discuss all aspects of seven string guitars here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 02-27-2010, 12:24 AM   #1
JP BFR Whore

Metalus is a glorious beacon of lightMetalus is a glorious beacon of lightMetalus is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
RG7620 vs RG1527M?

I plan on getting both of these at some point, but i wanted to get everybody's opinion on them anyway. One reason i'm asking this question is because i keep hearing so many good things about the 7620. CooleyJr has said it is the best guitar hes ever played, I hear it has one of the thinnest ibanez necks around (BIG plus for me), and that for the price you cant go wrong. I plan on replacing the pups and the body at some point when i get it.

So besides all this, what would you say is the better qualities of the 1527M vs the 7620? I do love the idea of the maple FB on the 1527, but i suppose i could always replace the rosewood FB on the 7620 if i wanted to.

Anyways enough rambling, which one of these would you take first and why?
Metalus is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
Seven String

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 02-27-2010, 12:28 AM   #2
SS.org Regular

Phlegethon is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
if you get the 7620 the only reason you would have to replace things would be personal taste, and even then only the pickups would be the things to replace. the overall quality is regarded to be extremely high

but if you really want a maple boarded 7 then you'd be better off going with the 1527. re boarding is a very major job and something that should only be done if you absolutely need to replace it for whatever reason IMO

Contributing writer for guitars canada: www.guitarscanada.com

Guitar lessons for the Hamilton region in southern ontario in the comfort of your home, contact me via PM or the following email address: odetoanote@gmail.com

Phlegethon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-27-2010, 12:59 AM   #3
JP BFR Whore

Metalus is a glorious beacon of lightMetalus is a glorious beacon of lightMetalus is a glorious beacon of light
Beside the maple FB, would u take the 7620 over the 1527?
Unread 02-27-2010, 01:24 AM   #4
Banned

CooleyJr is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/CooleyJr is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/CooleyJr is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/CooleyJr is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/CooleyJr is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/CooleyJr is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/CooleyJr is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
If you plan on getting them both in the future I'd say go for the 7620 first for the better trem. You'll be happy as hell either way!
CooleyJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-27-2010, 02:10 AM   #5
vagitarian

TMatt142 is a name known to allTMatt142 is a name known to allTMatt142 is a name known to allTMatt142 is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
Hands down a 7620, here's why. Basically, they are pretty much the same. The 1527 has the 5 piece w/ volute neck but that's about it. Now, I paid $300.00 for my 7620. What's a 1527M? From 900 and up to around 1200? I've spent 100.00 on my p/u's (Evo/AN combo), and also modded it a bit (veneer top, Jem output jack, etc..) If I want to put a maple fretboard on it, with offset dots even, it'll cost me $200.00 at my local luthier. So that leaves me anywhere from 300-600 dollars left over as the difference. In which case I could go out, find another 7620 neck, and possibly have that fretboard done.....It all comes down to what you wanna do with your money. If I can get a great deal on a great guitar, I'll do that over spending retail on something that will leave me with possibly no money at all for improvements I may want to make. All things being said though and the way the market price on 7620's go, both are a decent bet. I have heard some say the necks feel the same between the two and others who say the 7620's are a tad thinner....Oh and as for the trems, I've heard from both groups (the lo-pro guys vs. the edge pro guys) that both are damn close, but since I'm a lo-pro guy....That's what I'd prefer.
TMatt142 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-27-2010, 02:21 AM   #6
Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator

MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.
It all comes down to whether you want to buy used or new. They're just about the same spec wise, as well as quality.

Need help with setting up a trem?
Need info on your Ibby?
Live in Milwaukee? Please feel free to message me.

New Rules. Read Them.
MaxOfMetal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-27-2010, 02:32 AM   #7

leonardo7 is his own personal hero.leonardo7 is his own personal hero.leonardo7 is his own personal hero.leonardo7 is his own personal hero.leonardo7 is his own personal hero.leonardo7 is his own personal hero.leonardo7 is his own personal hero.leonardo7 is his own personal hero.leonardo7 is his own personal hero.leonardo7 is his own personal hero.
Feedback Score: 30 reviews
The 1527M will be in new condition and the 7620 will most likely be in used condition. Its basically the same guitar. Features, playability and sound are nearly the same if they have the same pickups so I would base it on price, condition and looks. Although I would imagine the maple fretboard makes a nice difference in sound.
leonardo7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-27-2010, 10:12 AM   #8
Phil

Ytseman is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Edge Pro was a major downgrade from LoPro mostly because nonlocking trem studs and body inserts and also lighter tone block. That means tuning issues and midrangy tone. In my opinion early 90's RG is the way to go.
Ytseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-27-2010, 10:19 AM   #9
Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator

MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ytseman View Post
Edge Pro was a major downgrade from LoPro mostly because nonlocking trem studs and body inserts and also lighter tone block. That means tuning issues and midrangy tone. In my opinion early 90's RG is the way to go.
Actually if you open up the back of an Edge Pro and Lo-Pro equipped guitar, the blocks are relatively the same size and weight, the Edge Pro is wider and shorter, where the Lo-Pro is longer and narrower. I've compared those on my early 90's UV7s to that of my late 00's UV777s.

As for the locking studs, $20 can easily rectify that situation. Not to mention some of the Lo-Pros got the dreaded "pinched" studs with inferior divots.

Though both trems have a significantly different feel from what I've played and owned the Lo-Pro has a much looser feel too it, while the Edge Pro can be rather stiff.

Need help with setting up a trem?
Need info on your Ibby?
Live in Milwaukee? Please feel free to message me.

New Rules. Read Them.
MaxOfMetal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-28-2010, 12:14 AM   #10
JP BFR Whore

Thanks guys. I'm probably gonna with the 7620 and mod it to taste. Thanks guys
Unread 02-28-2010, 12:29 PM   #11

sevenstringj is a glorious beacon of lightsevenstringj is a glorious beacon of lightsevenstringj is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 23 reviews
I'd never get an RG7620, because the neck is too narrow for the strings, with the first and last strings practically riding on the edges. Just a personal preference. Schecter 7s are on the opposite extreme, with too much fretboard on either side (at least the one I used to own). My Jackson is right in the middle. And from photos, looks like the RG1527M is about perfect as well.

Just something to consider.
sevenstringj is offline   Reply With Quote