homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   photo gallery   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > Music Discussion > Sevenstring Guitars
LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter

Sevenstring Guitars Discuss all aspects of seven string guitars here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 01-25-2010, 04:06 AM   #1
SS.org Regular

Tritono is on a distinguished road
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Exclamation Seven vs Eight strings !!!

hello! im juan pablo from south america.

man, i have a confusion in my mind. i really need your help!

this is the situation: for first time in my life i can buy a 7 string guitar (with credit card) with much effort (im a worker guy). i have only 6 string guitar. i never played a 7 u 8 strings guitar. i was sure to buy a 7 string until presented the possibility to obtain an 8 string guitar. the 7 strings has floyd rose and 25.5 and the 8 string has normal bridge and 27 baritone scale. My goal as a composer is to be innovative and do what others dont have done. the guitar that i will buy will be my final guitar for at least 4 years and it will have a big impact in my musical career.

i want the range of the 8 string guitar, but i readed that the 8 strings need special amplification, that if you dont use a multiscale the guitar is out of intonation, that the 8 string sounds muddy and other things.

what do you think? im not rich, i cant buy much special gear for the guitar, it will be of much help if you can tell me some things about 8 strings through your experience.

i have this gold question: if you only can choose one guitar for your entire future music career, what guitar do you choose? a seven string or a 8 string? why?

* i want a modern innovative sound but i want good tone, a real tone, not mudy or out of tune.

the problem is that tomorrow i must confirm it but now im very confused. i cant try the guitar because i will import it.

please understand me and help me with your experience.

very thank you!!
Tritono is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
Seven String

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 01-25-2010, 04:16 AM   #2
SS.org Regular

Meshugger is a jewel in the rough
Before trying to answer your question, will you buy from a store in Chile or any other part of South America, or will you order from the US/Europe/Japan?

Do you guys have the same steep tariffs as they have in Brazil on foreign consumer goods?
Meshugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-25-2010, 04:23 AM   #3
JP BFR Whore

Metalus is a glorious beacon of lightMetalus is a glorious beacon of lightMetalus is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Id say take the plunge and buy the 8 string. It will be more of an adjustment but u will have that range available to you immediately that way you can begin composing now instead of composing on a 7 and then wishing u had the 8 later on.

Then again, a 7 will also be fine .

Buy the 8
Metalus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-25-2010, 04:35 AM   #4
Poland CEO / RHLC ©

Sebastian is his own personal hero.Sebastian is his own personal hero.Sebastian is his own personal hero.Sebastian is his own personal hero.Sebastian is his own personal hero.Sebastian is his own personal hero.Sebastian is his own personal hero.Sebastian is his own personal hero.Sebastian is his own personal hero.Sebastian is his own personal hero.
What are the 8/7 string models you are looking at ?

S7Figures.DeviantArt.com - Metal Figures!
Sebastian is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-25-2010, 04:50 AM   #5
Of Blood and Sawdust

JaeSwift is a glorious beacon of lightJaeSwift is a glorious beacon of lightJaeSwift is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Ide say it largely depends on how bad you want a Floyd Rose or not. If you're not that keen on a Floyd then get the 8 string, assuming both guitars are of similair quality.

Also, you dont need special amplification for an 8 string, just good speakers and some headroom. Intonation I cant help u with though I doubt that is much of a problem.
JaeSwift is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-25-2010, 05:11 AM   #6
Shrederick

Fred the Shred won't break the oath.Fred the Shred won't break the oath.Fred the Shred won't break the oath.Fred the Shred won't break the oath.Fred the Shred won't break the oath.Fred the Shred won't break the oath.Fred the Shred won't break the oath.Fred the Shred won't break the oath.Fred the Shred won't break the oath.Fred the Shred won't break the oath.Fred the Shred won't break the oath.Fred the Shred won't break the oath.Fred the Shred won't break the oath.
Feedback Score: 20 reviews
I use 7's mainly, although I do have a couple 8 strings, which I love. It's all down to what range you need, what type of sound you're after, and whether it's an actual range thing or an ability to tune even lower for bassy drone-ish tones and whatnot. Only you know what best suits your goals.

As for 8 strings, most of what you've been told is actually a myth - I use regular amps with my own 8 strings, and most muddiness problems are usually due to technical limitations from the player or amp settings, namely too much gain / bass dialed in, from what I've seen so far, and it was easy to help the player dial a far tighter tone out of it.

As for the "guitar for life thing", I can't answer that. I usually use more than 4 different guitars in each recording, out of a pool of 28, due to different feel, tonal character, and so forth.
Fred the Shred is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-25-2010, 06:19 AM   #7
Theory God

Mr. Big Noodles is pretty damn metal.Mr. Big Noodles is pretty damn metal.Mr. Big Noodles is pretty damn metal.Mr. Big Noodles is pretty damn metal.Mr. Big Noodles is pretty damn metal.Mr. Big Noodles is pretty damn metal.Mr. Big Noodles is pretty damn metal.Mr. Big Noodles is pretty damn metal.
I don't have an eight yet (it should be here tomorrow ), but I can't imagine that you'd need special amplification. And you shouldn't have intonation problems at 27", assuming you're not doing anything too crazy.

This sounds like a big decision for you, so I think you need to weigh your options: do you really want the Floyd? If you got the 8, do you think you could handle the 27" scale? What if you don't like the guitar?

I read some of your other posts, and found out the seven you're looking at is the ESP Horizon 7 FR. I don't know what the price on that model would be, but I know the six string version is quite expensive. Are you so sure that you're confined to that one shop in your country and those two guitars? Could you set up a PayPal account, maybe, and try to buy a guitar off of somebody here?

Skype theory lessons. PM me.
Mr. Big Noodles is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-25-2010, 06:20 AM   #8
\m not jesus land m/

CrushingAnvil is the epitome of metal.CrushingAnvil is the epitome of metal.CrushingAnvil is the epitome of metal.CrushingAnvil is the epitome of metal.CrushingAnvil is the epitome of metal.CrushingAnvil is the epitome of metal.CrushingAnvil is the epitome of metal.CrushingAnvil is the epitome of metal.CrushingAnvil is the epitome of metal.
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
ATE STRINGS R 4 NERDZ LOLs.

Nah, I'm not an 8 string guy but when it comes down to it you can play an 8 string like a 7 but it wont sound the same since there's no Evolution8 or JB-7/Jazz-8 pickups so you're stuck with EMG 808's for a few months. You can get Lundgrens though I suppose but no 7 string pickup sounds like the 8 string equivalent.

Whoever said "the best things in life are free" hasn't played an 80's RG" - TheSixthWheel
CrushingAnvil is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-25-2010, 06:30 AM   #9
Theory God

Mr. Big Noodles is pretty damn metal.Mr. Big Noodles is pretty damn metal.Mr. Big Noodles is pretty damn metal.Mr. Big Noodles is pretty damn metal.Mr. Big Noodles is pretty damn metal.Mr. Big Noodles is pretty damn metal.Mr. Big Noodles is pretty damn metal.Mr. Big Noodles is pretty damn metal.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrushingAnvil View Post
ATE STRINGS R 4 NERDZ LOLs.

Nah, I'm not an 8 string guy but when it comes down to it you can play an 8 string like a 7 but it wont sound the same since there's no Evolution8 or JB-7/Jazz-8 pickups so you're stuck with EMG 808's for a few months. You can get Lundgrens though I suppose but no 7 string pickup sounds like the 8 string equivalent.
Good point. It's probably going to be more difficult to find strings for an eight, too. I have to customize packs for my seven, as it is.

Skype theory lessons. PM me.
Mr. Big Noodles is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-25-2010, 06:37 AM   #10
Shrederick

Fred the Shred won't break the oath.Fred the Shred won't break the oath.Fred the Shred won't break the oath.Fred the Shred won't break the oath.Fred the Shred won't break the oath.Fred the Shred won't break the oath.Fred the Shred won't break the oath.Fred the Shred won't break the oath.Fred the Shred won't break the oath.Fred the Shred won't break the oath.Fred the Shred won't break the oath.Fred the Shred won't break the oath.Fred the Shred won't break the oath.
Bare Knuckle has their full line available as 8-string pickups. It is a more limited choice than being able to tap into Duncan or DiMarzio camps, evidently.
Unread 01-25-2010, 06:41 AM   #11
Banned

mrhankey87 is a glorious beacon of lightmrhankey87 is a glorious beacon of lightmrhankey87 is a glorious beacon of light
If your goal is doing something new, than DON'T buy an 8. Meshuggah already did it, other already did it after them, and practically all of them have some resemblance with Meshuggah.

If you have an 8 string, it's easy as hell to goin into meshuggah's musical territory, it's almost instinctive.

Buy a 7 because: if you're used to play 6 you'll have minor effort to get used to the 7, the shorter scale will be more friendly for solos, bendings, vibratos.

Consider also that gauges for the 8th string are rare and you'll have to buy them on the internet.

If, in the future, you'll join a band or want to form a band, I suppose nobody around you will have an 8 string guitar, but it's easier to find a seven-stringer.

A 7 string guitar will be the best choice, imho.
mrhankey87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-25-2010, 06:42 AM   #12
\m not jesus land m/

CrushingAnvil is the epitome of metal.CrushingAnvil is the epitome of metal.CrushingAnvil is the epitome of metal.CrushingAnvil is the epitome of metal.CrushingAnvil is the epitome of metal.CrushingAnvil is the epitome of metal.CrushingAnvil is the epitome of metal.CrushingAnvil is the epitome of metal.CrushingAnvil is the epitome of metal.
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred the Shred View Post
Bare Knuckle has their full line available as 8-string pickups. It is a more limited choice than being able to tap into Duncan or DiMarzio camps, evidently.
Yeah, forgot about BKP. I think you could get custom 8 string pups made by Dimarzio but you may have to be hooked up....thoroughly...?

Whoever said "the best things in life are free" hasn't played an 80's RG" - TheSixthWheel
CrushingAnvil is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-25-2010, 06:47 AM   #13
Shrederick

I'd hardly bother regarding whether Meshuggah play 8's or not. I use 8 strings in some of my compositions and trust me - there is 0 resemblance to Meshuggah there. I even have a ton of more Eric Johnson'esque passages using the low F#. Remember there's no "law" that forces you to go all out djent on the 8th string.

I jam and play regularly with people toting 6 strings. Both 7 and 8 strings alike never posed a problem there. It's a matter of complementing each other's lines, really.

The transition to a 7 is, of course, easier, since all you need to know is that your low string is no longer the E. As for the string gauges for 8-strings, they are indeed a bitch to get, and I have to buy my 8th online all the time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrushingAnvil View Post
Yeah, forgot about BKP. I think you could get custom 8 string pups made by Dimarzio but you may have to be hooked up....thoroughly...?
Well, let me put it to you this way: there's a great DiMarzio dealer in the US whose prices are so competitive he doesn't export to some countries anymore, mine included. As such, some of my friends have developed a sudden interest in DiMarzio pickups, and they kindly decide to offer me those pickups afterwards. Farfetched, but the only way to get things done, as the dealers who were so keen on whining in the first place never carry or order coloured sets such as red or blue, which incidentally are exactly what I want.
Unread 01-25-2010, 08:20 AM   #14
Banned

iondestroyer1527 is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
i could not more whole heartedly disagree with the comment that you will sound like meshuggah if you have an 8 IMHO...rusty cooley, animals as leaders, scale the summit, agoraphobic nosebleed, my own band putrescine sound NOTHING (not a pun on the meshuggah album haha) like meshuggah. i love meshuggah but i don't agree that because you have the same amount of strings your music will even slightly resemble theirs. to get back on topic though i would try to play them both to see which one you are able to be more creative with/feel more comfortable with...8's are really fun i'm used to 7's but plan on getting an 8 at some point. i've had them before but didn't like 28.625" scale i prefered my ibanez 2228 with the 27" but had to sell it because i needed money at the time...hope i may have helped!
iondestroyer1527 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-25-2010, 09:34 AM   #15
Bring the gain

MikeH can play Erotomania with his toes.MikeH can play Erotomania with his toes.MikeH can play Erotomania with his toes.MikeH can play Erotomania with his toes.MikeH can play Erotomania with his toes.MikeH can play Erotomania with his toes.MikeH can play Erotomania with his toes.MikeH can play Erotomania with his toes.MikeH can play Erotomania with his toes.MikeH can play Erotomania with his toes.MikeH can play Erotomania with his toes.MikeH can play Erotomania with his toes.MikeH can play Erotomania with his toes.
Feedback Score: 19 reviews
While I agree with not having to sound like Meshuggah with an 8, AAL is definitely Meshuggah-esque.

Lethal Force Fitness: Hardcore fitness for hardcore musicians.
KEEP IT GRIM IN THE GYM
MikeH is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-25-2010, 09:42 AM   #16
Elite Troop

Gamba is just really niceGamba is just really nice
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
When I used to play 6 strings, maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaany years ago, I had the need for an extra string then I swapped to 7 strings and never look back. However now I also have a 8 string guitar and the same thing did not happen. I still playing the 7 strings and for some songs I feel more comfortable playing 7 strings than 8 strings. So my advice is: if you can fool around with both a couple of times and see which one fills your needs but if you can't then I believe that you should grab a good 7 string instead an 8...

Man is just a pupil, pain is his teacher.
Gamba is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-25-2010, 09:43 AM   #17
Pantysniffing zombie

JJ Rodriguez has more eRep than he knows what to do with.JJ Rodriguez has more eRep than he knows what to do with.JJ Rodriguez has more eRep than he knows what to do with.JJ Rodriguez has more eRep than he knows what to do with.JJ Rodriguez has more eRep than he knows what to do with.JJ Rodriguez has more eRep than he knows what to do with.JJ Rodriguez has more eRep than he knows what to do with.JJ Rodriguez has more eRep than he knows what to do with.JJ Rodriguez has more eRep than he knows what to do with.JJ Rodriguez has more eRep than he knows what to do with.JJ Rodriguez has more eRep than he knows what to do with.JJ Rodriguez has more eRep than he knows what to do with.JJ Rodriguez has more eRep than he knows what to do with.JJ Rodriguez has more eRep than he knows what to do with.
Feedback Score: 18 reviews
Personally, I'd take a 7, but only because I don't find myself ever wanting to go lower than Bb. If you're a crazy shredder and can make use of grabbing notes on a lower string doing sweeps/scale runs, or you want some insane low end, then sure it would probably make sense for you. Personally 7 is perfect for me. I don't know what style you're playing, but I'd wager like 50% of bands using 8 strings could get by on downtuned 6's, or 4's for that matter You could always buy a baritone scale 7 string and tune it down as well if you just want the low end.

I know what I've said isn't much help, but it really depends on your playing style, and what you want to accomplish with the extra range available.
JJ Rodriguez is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-25-2010, 02:54 PM   #18
SS.org Regular

hello!

first of all, thank you for your time and experience!!! really. thank you.

i will import it from japan, esp.

my options (with a lot of effort) are the horizon fr 7 (with scalloped neck) or the carpenter b 8.

one problem is that i cant try it first. other problem is that this year is for the guitar, and the next year is for the amplification. after that, i will starting play live again, and a big problem is that i will need a back up guitar for live shows (if i break a string in my debut without a backup you can imagine, all will be ....). if i get an seven string now, in the future i will need to buy another to have a back up on stage, and the same thing for the 8 strings, so the guitar that i will buy will be my main weapon for at least five years, i cant go for a seven and after for and 8 without buy a back up for live shows. like you can see, is very complex, because i want a innovative sound but an actual decision will affect my future for a few years. i know that is a thing of taste and of the player, but is very complex.

for the moment im choosing the seven strings because the factors. here is difficult to get strings. i want to use elixir strings, i dont like to put one set of a brand a put other brand for other strings because the difference of tension will affect.

this history started with esp japan before the end of the 2009. i contact him and i choose to do some modifications to the esp horizon fr 7, so we keep talking about even today. in fact, i must confirm this week. and since a few days i go confused thinking about a 8 string. on one side i feel committed for the work that i generated to esp japan team about the modifications and for the time. i have good relations with makoto suzuki and i trust in him, so i will keep with esps plus i can only pay with credit card.

and man i dont know, is complex. maybe i just must go for the seven strings and walk slow for the extended range road. my problem is that i need to be a radical musician, some crazy modern alien guy, with the new guitar i will record my debut album and i need some creative weapon that allows me to do some crazy stuff and to enter in the modern age with good sound, good tone, a good crazy weapon.

what you would do in my place?

thanks again, really thanks you for your time and experience!!!
Unread 01-25-2010, 03:01 PM   #19
SS.org Regular

guitarplayerone is a name known to allguitarplayerone is a name known to allguitarplayerone is a name known to allguitarplayerone is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
don't get an 8 with EMGs if you do get one. Even if you like them on your six/seven. This seems to be the general consensus.
guitarplayerone is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-25-2010, 03:03 PM   #20
SS.org Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarplayerone View Post
don't get an 8 with EMGs if you do get one. Even if you like them on your six/seven. This seems to be the general consensus.
hello, thank you!.

but the option that i have with 8 strings have emgs. what do you think about?
Unread 01-25-2010, 03:05 PM   #21
Pantysniffing zombie

JJ Rodriguez has more eRep than he knows what to do with.JJ Rodriguez has more eRep than he knows what to do with.JJ Rodriguez has more eRep than he knows what to do with.JJ Rodriguez has more eRep than he knows what to do with.JJ Rodriguez has more eRep than he knows what to do with.JJ Rodriguez has more eRep than he knows what to do with.JJ Rodriguez has more eRep than he knows what to do with.JJ Rodriguez has more eRep than he knows what to do with.JJ Rodriguez has more eRep than he knows what to do with.JJ Rodriguez has more eRep than he knows what to do with.JJ Rodriguez has more eRep than he knows what to do with.JJ Rodriguez has more eRep than he knows what to do with.JJ Rodriguez has more eRep than he knows what to do with.JJ Rodriguez has more eRep than he knows what to do with.
Feedback Score: 18 reviews
If the 7 string is going to be a main stage axe for 5 years, and you have no back ups, don't get one with a Floyd, and this is coming from a Floyd Rose whore

If you're gigging and you can't afford a back up, then get a hardtail, whether you go 6 or 7 or 8. You still didn't describe your style though. Are you just playing down tuned metal, are you a crazy shredder, are you playing rock, etc etc?
JJ Rodriguez is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-25-2010, 03:07 PM   #22
SS.org Regular

guitarplayerone is a name known to allguitarplayerone is a name known to allguitarplayerone is a name known to allguitarplayerone is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
you should factor in the cost of replacing the pickups immediately, and then try to see if maybe there is a reputable Luther in your area who might build you one cheaper (or for the same money)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ Rodriguez View Post
If the 7 string is going to be a main stage axe for 5 years, and you have no back ups, don't get one with a Floyd, and this is coming from a Floyd Rose whore

If you're gigging and you can't afford a back up, then get a hardtail, whether you go 6 or 7 or 8. You still didn't describe your style though. Are you just playing down tuned metal, are you a crazy shredder, are you playing rock, etc etc?
i disagree... he could just install a T-no and block the trem for shows.

Last edited by guitarplayerone; 01-25-2010 at 03:08 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
guitarplayerone is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-25-2010, 03:13 PM   #23
SS.org Regular

SPBY is just really niceSPBY is just really nice
I see an 8 (planning on getting one soon myself) compared to a 7 the same way i see a 6 compared to a 7. I hate when i see someone playing an 8 string (or 7 for that matter) and the only strings they play are the bottom 3. I like the "djenty" sound every once in a while, but not when bands do it for every song. It's like breakdowns, i like one every once in a while, but when generic bands put one (or five) of them in every song it gets tedious and boring.

I see an 8 as a 7 string that with the advantage of, i think "a lower note would sound good here" i can play it. Not like, "my low notes... let me show you them."
SPBY is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-25-2010, 03:16 PM   #24
SS.org Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ Rodriguez View Post

that is a big problem, because i love floyd rose. the perfect guitar for me will be a 8 strings with floyd rose. but maybe sacrificing the floyd for more notes is a good choice. i dont want to be in any style, but if i had to choose, choose something like a violent, psychotic and rapist metal sometimes but too for sometimes serene, tranquil, beautiful, like life itself, still can not get that at all but that's my goal, not put myself in anything, be free. I like fat tones and crazy stuff.

i think that i big problem for me is that i have not been able to hear sounds clearly of a 8 strings compared to a 7, maby listen to some good demo really made me understand how my sound would be in each choice. I searched a lot, but always feel dont clear about the options, can you recommend specific songs to understand the vocabulary of each guitar?

really thank you!
Unread 01-25-2010, 03:19 PM   #25
Ex Whiny Bitch

Scar Symmetry is a happy camper.Scar Symmetry is a happy camper.Scar Symmetry is a happy camper.Scar Symmetry is a happy camper.Scar Symmetry is a happy camper.Scar Symmetry is a happy camper.Scar Symmetry is a happy camper.Scar Symmetry is a happy camper.Scar Symmetry is a happy camper.Scar Symmetry is a happy camper.Scar Symmetry is a happy camper.Scar Symmetry is a happy camper.Scar Symmetry is a happy camper.
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
If you're looking to do what others haven't done, then buying an 8 string is futile.

To hear 8 strings used:

Meshuggah on MySpace Music - Free Streaming MP3s, Pictures & Music Downloads

AFTER THE BURIAL on MySpace Music - Free Streaming MP3s, Pictures & Music Downloads

After The Burial use Ibanez RG2228s... if you like what you hear you might want to consider getting one.

What happened to Jeff? Funny how he dropped off the radar now that the entire Western world disagrees with his right wing bullshit.
Scar Symmetry is offline   Reply With Quote