homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   photo gallery   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > Music Discussion > Sevenstring Guitars
LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter

Sevenstring Guitars Discuss all aspects of seven string guitars here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 01-15-2010, 03:51 PM   #1
SS.org Regular

Tritono is on a distinguished road
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Exclamation [25.5 VS 26.5 SCALE LENGTH !!!]

Hey!,

Hello, Im J.P. from South America.

I need your help.

With much effort I get the money to buy a good seven strings (my first seven).

Im thinking in get the Horizon FR 7, a new model for this year, is like the NT 7 but with floyd rose. I really like that guitar, but it have a 25.5 scale.

Is it a bad thing? guitars like Schecter have a 26.5 scale length. I understand that the main factor is about the tension in the strings.

I play mainly a whole step down, D to D.

If choose the right gauge of strings for the 25.5 scale, Do you think that the strings will be loose?

Please help me!. what scale do you preffer?

You must know this: I only can pay with credit card, and the only shop that allows me to buy with credit card only import ESP guitars. In fact, the only possibilty for me is to buy the guitar that I mentioned, the horizon FR 7.

Sorry for my english!

Thank you!
Tritono is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
Seven String

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 01-15-2010, 03:52 PM   #2
JP BFR Whore

Metalus is a glorious beacon of lightMetalus is a glorious beacon of lightMetalus is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
I own nothing but 25.5" scale guitars but ive played a C7 a couple of times before. I honestly dont feel the difference in scale. I think it would be much more noticeable if it was a 27" or above
Metalus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-15-2010, 03:59 PM   #3
SS.org Regular

Thank you!

This is the thing:

In my 6 guitar in D, with elixir strings 11 to 49, I feel a little less tension that with normal traditional tuning. Is only a little, but when you do pull offs or hammers is a little more difficult. I miss the little miss tension.

I wondering if with the seven strings maybe it will get more tight. I like big frets, but sincerely, I only can pay with credit card, and the only shop that allows me to buy with credit card only import ESP guitars. In fact, the only posibilty for me is to buy the guitar that I mentioned, the horizon FR 7.

Is very important to me your guide!

Let me know!
Unread 01-15-2010, 04:50 PM   #4
A Chap Called Ross

vampiregenocide harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.vampiregenocide harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.vampiregenocide harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.vampiregenocide harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.vampiregenocide harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.vampiregenocide harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.vampiregenocide harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.vampiregenocide harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.vampiregenocide harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.vampiregenocide harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.vampiregenocide harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.vampiregenocide harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.vampiregenocide harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.
I prefer 26.5, its a subtle extra bit of tension that makes it easier for me. 25.5 is fine, though iif I had my way I'd have 26.5 for my 6ers and 27 for my 7s.

I'm sure you'd love the Horizon though
vampiregenocide is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-15-2010, 05:28 PM   #5
SS.org Regular

thank you!

yeah, that is what make problem to me. i need maybe that little more tension, because i like heavy tunings. but since i have the chance to buy only with credit card in one place, then you said to me that the 25.5 is not a problem? i can live with it?

someone with a seven string with 25.5 that can share his experience?

is the buy of my life :\, im a little worried

thank you for your time!
Unread 01-15-2010, 05:33 PM   #6
SS.org Regular

troyguitar is shredding to new heights.troyguitar is shredding to new heights.troyguitar is shredding to new heights.troyguitar is shredding to new heights.troyguitar is shredding to new heights.troyguitar is shredding to new heights.troyguitar is shredding to new heights.
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
I didn't know they were making a Horizon FR-7. I would probably buy that over any regular Schecter if you can afford it.
troyguitar is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-15-2010, 05:36 PM   #7
SS Contributor

wannabguitarist has much to be proud ofwannabguitarist has much to be proud ofwannabguitarist has much to be proud ofwannabguitarist has much to be proud ofwannabguitarist has much to be proud ofwannabguitarist has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 15 reviews
Use slightly thicker strings, I've tuned a 25.5 down to G before and it was fine. Quality wise the ESP will blow the Schecter out of the water
wannabguitarist is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-15-2010, 05:43 PM   #8
wake up dead

7slinger is a splendid one to behold7slinger is a splendid one to behold7slinger is a splendid one to behold7slinger is a splendid one to behold7slinger is a splendid one to behold
Feedback Score: 25 reviews
I prefer 25.5 to 27".

I find that lead work is much easier for me, especially bends, with the shorter scale. There is nothing wrong with either scale, it's just personal preference.

This is a tough call for you, not being able to try before you buy...I took a chance when I ordered my KxK, and I wish now that I'd ordered it with 25.5 vs the 27" that I went with.
7slinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-15-2010, 06:15 PM   #9
SS.org Regular

really thank you! thanks for your experiencie and time.

the horizon fr 7 will be release this year. i cant try it before because it will be available from march, and here in chile (my country sucks, the people, dont the nature) dont come good models like that. here in chile there aren't good stock.

so i cant try it before buy, for it im asking to you guys, and your answer make me more relaxed because is very important to me. im not rich, im a worker guy, you understand me, is not easy, not easy to buy something not cheaper and cant try it before buy.

well, nothing to do, i cant buy in other store, i cant pay cash, only credit card, so i will go for the 25.5 then.

if someone can share more experience it will be great for all us.

thank you again for your time!
Unread 01-15-2010, 06:22 PM   #10
Needs more strings

EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
I can assure you your 25.5 will be just fine The majority of production 7 string models are at 25.5 inch and are very popular. I have one from Ibanez myself and the scale length is fine.
EtherealEntity is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-15-2010, 08:19 PM   #11
Banned

mrhankey87 is a glorious beacon of lightmrhankey87 is a glorious beacon of lightmrhankey87 is a glorious beacon of light
The Horizon FR 7 will be a better instrument, both in craftmanship and playability, than any Schecter. My Loomis included. End of story.
mrhankey87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-15-2010, 10:44 PM   #12
SS.org Regular

Duke318 is just really niceDuke318 is just really nice
Feedback Score: 12 reviews
I had a 25.5 inch scale hellraiser, but I sold it for a 26.5 inch scale baritone blackjack. I'm always tuned in D-standard. On 25.5 the strings were too loose for really fast tremelo picking and shred stuff. I prefer .11's to .54 gauge.
Duke318 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-16-2010, 01:42 AM   #13
SS.org Regular

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke318 View Post
I had a 25.5 inch scale hellraiser, but I sold it for a 26.5 inch scale baritone blackjack. I'm always tuned in D-standard. On 25.5 the strings were too loose for really fast tremelo picking and shred stuff. I prefer .11's to .54 gauge.
thanks for your experience and time. that is exactly what i mean. in D to D in 6 strings i feel the strings loose, and that is a bad thing because is more easier and efficient when you have the right tension under your fingers. i use 11 to 49 because is difficult to found elixir hybrid sets here.

the problem is that seems to be that for each tuning are different lengths. for example, I think that in E standardt 25.5 is right, but from D and under I think that 25.5 are loose a little. My dilemma is that I have never tried a guitar with 26.5 and there is not opportunity for now.

well, i dont know what to do 100%, i will think, keep answer if you have time and experience!

thank you!
Unread 01-16-2010, 03:48 AM   #14
BMU
SS.org Regular

BMU has a spectacular aura about
I have two 25.5 Ibanezes and a 26.5 Loomis. I string my guitars 10 - 46 + 59. Where I am I don't often get my hands on a 7th string heavier than a 59 - it might be the same for you in South America. For tuning down to D with that string gauge, the 26.5 is ideal, perfect. On the 25.5 the 7th string is a little more loose.

BUT having said that, you need to keep this in perspective. I don't think it's a make or break thing. The human machine is extremely adaptable, a 25.5 is still completely playable in D tuning. You'll adapt to it and it'll be just fine. Remember most guitars, even 7 strings are 25.5 and a lot of people tune them down.

I guess what I'm saying is given a choice, for tuning in D, I'd say 26.5 is slightly better. But 25.5 is by no means BAD or anything like that.
Good luck making your choice!!!
BMU is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-16-2010, 04:29 AM   #15
Army Without A Flag

All_Ľour_Bass is shredding to new heights.All_Ľour_Bass is shredding to new heights.All_Ľour_Bass is shredding to new heights.All_Ľour_Bass is shredding to new heights.All_Ľour_Bass is shredding to new heights.All_Ľour_Bass is shredding to new heights.All_Ľour_Bass is shredding to new heights.
If you want the "feel" between guitars to be similar use strings gauges one size smaller on the 26.5" guitar. (ex: use 9's instead of 10's)

No Nation. No Philosophy. No Ideology.
All_Ľour_Bass is offline   Reply With Quote