homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   photo gallery   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > Music Discussion > Sevenstring Guitars
LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter

Sevenstring Guitars Discuss all aspects of seven string guitars here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 01-15-2010, 02:24 PM   #1
SS.org Regular

audibleE is just really niceaudibleE is just really nice
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
2010 Schecter Line FAIL (IMO)

I'm very sad. The new 2010 Schecter line seems to have missed the boat in my opinion and not listened to the current guitarist trends. I'm sure there are going to be many of you yelling at me but here's my reasons:

1. The Schecter website. Mostly built in Flash. By day I'm a web/graphic designer so I know what's what. Slow page builds, if you have a slow connection, fug'ed about it. Remember the current attention span of avid web users is 3-5 sec. (click)

2. The new look of promotional materials? Very late 80's space/tech cheesy look. Horrible. They even used the Star Wars perspective type for the credits... C'mon? Who's nephew did the new corporate identity?

3. The half inch abalone binding on most of the models still looks wretched.

4. Chrome pickup covers?
They're not Les Pauls, so they look retarded. (yes the Solo-6 series look like Les Pauls, so...yeah.)

5. Color options. Still boring red, black and white on the customs. Yes, yes there are some blue, sunburst, see thru and standard satin finishes. But they don't seem to be "2010" colors.

6. How many of you actually use 3 tone knobs on a guitar? Some don't even use the tone knob at all. Loathe that they clunk up the guitars with 3 knobs. The one good model that has one volume, Loomis. Wasn't there suppose to be a black satin one shown on the website, but has since disappeared?

--

The few decent ones: Gold Top Tempest, the Blue Damien Elite: Solo

I know I'm being really picky and bitchy but compared to the other guitar companies, the Schecters look a little behind the times.

With all this said... I own 4 Schecter guitars and have been playing my White Tempest for 10 years now and is my main guitar for live/studio performance. I also have an Ultra, a 006 and Omen 7. I was looking forward to updating my main guitar, but unfortunately I will be switching brands this year.

Let me know what you guys think or that I'm just friggin' bonkers or something.

Eric Antonik
guitarist for The Terminal and Audiblethread
AIM: audibleE
Myspace Profile
audibleE is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Alt Today
Seven String

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 01-15-2010, 02:30 PM   #2
Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator

MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
From the looks of it Schecter and ESP/LTD (both owned by the same guy, you do the math ) have been trying to get on the same page this year. They both seemed to play the "safe card". I don't blame them, but I think it might have been a bad idea given what other companies have brought to the table so far.

Telling by the last few Schecter NAMM oriented threads, this NAMM was certainly more of a miss than a hit. We'll see how they do at Summer NAMM.
MaxOfMetal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-15-2010, 02:36 PM   #3
ss.org Regular

JacksonKE2Shred is just really niceJacksonKE2Shred is just really nice
you think they fail check out Dean's line up for 2010 Dean Guitars: New for 2010 I was so excited to see a fanned 8 string like rusty cooley has been talking about
JacksonKE2Shred is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-15-2010, 02:37 PM   #4
SS.org Regular

splinter8451 is just really nicesplinter8451 is just really nice
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by audibleE View Post

I know I'm being really picky and bitchy but compared to the other guitar companies, the Schecters look a little behind the times.
Sums it up right there

Just kidding dude I see where you are coming from. Schecter is the one company that never really seems to change as the years go by. Sure they are offering 8 strings now but they are the SAME models just with more strings.

Only thing exciting for me from them for 2010 is the Damien 8. But I owned a Damien 7 and the neck killed my wrist so it is looking like a no for me (especially with the RGA8 from Ibanez )

"And I want a blowjob from Emma Watson, but sometimes we just gotta deal with what we're given!" -The Armada

my youtube channel- http://www.youtube.com/user/vitreusMD?feature=mhum SikTh, Cyclamen After the Burial covers. More on the way!
splinter8451 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-15-2010, 02:41 PM   #5
SS.org Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by splinter8451 View Post
Sums it up right there
Hahahahah!!!

(I hate you.)

Eric Antonik
Myspace Profile
Unread 01-15-2010, 02:43 PM   #6
Gearus Pimptasticus
Super Moderator

technomancer is Odin incarnatetechnomancer is Odin incarnatetechnomancer is Odin incarnatetechnomancer is Odin incarnatetechnomancer is Odin incarnatetechnomancer is Odin incarnatetechnomancer is Odin incarnatetechnomancer is Odin incarnatetechnomancer is Odin incarnatetechnomancer is Odin incarnatetechnomancer is Odin incarnatetechnomancer is Odin incarnatetechnomancer is Odin incarnatetechnomancer is Odin incarnatetechnomancer is Odin incarnate
Feedback Score: 36 reviews
Formal Rule of Existence #3246882872: Regardless of what a guitar company does or does not release in a given year there will be somebody bitching about it on a guitar forum

Incoming
It's a surprise

Site Rules. Read Them.
technomancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-15-2010, 02:44 PM   #7
ss.org Master

Kapee is a jewel in the rough
Better than plain black. Im actually pretty happy about Schecters 2010 models otherwise than LTD... About chrome pup-covers, why not? Im pretty tired to see allways black ones..
Kapee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-15-2010, 03:03 PM   #8
ss.org Regular

xxxyyy is on a distinguished road
Ok, is that new mahogany RC7 made in USA? If so... if so... I'm not responsible for my actions.
xxxyyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-15-2010, 03:14 PM   #9
ss.org Regular

xkovacsx will become famous soon enough
they did okay i guess. they put out the 8 strings which was a good move. i was really hoping they'd change the design of their v series because they look retarded. wider selection of colors would've been nice too. they didn't fail near as badly as dean though.
xkovacsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-15-2010, 03:24 PM   #10
ss.org Regular

JacksonKE2Shred is just really niceJacksonKE2Shred is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by xkovacsx View Post
they did okay i guess. they put out the 8 strings which was a good move. i was really hoping they'd change the design of their v series because they look retarded. and the new casket series is a blatant ripoff of zakk wylde's graveyard disciple. wider selection of colors would've been nice too. they didn't fail near as badly as dean though.
Schecter has has been doing the coffin guitar far longer then epiphone. DCGL has had custom shop Schecters with the coffin design for a long time now.
JacksonKE2Shred is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-15-2010, 03:29 PM   #11
ss.org Regular

xkovacsx will become famous soon enough
oh, my fault then. it was new to me. like i'd want coffin-shaped guitar anyway. >_<
xkovacsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-15-2010, 03:30 PM   #12
SS.org Regular

pink freud is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/pink freud is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/pink freud is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/pink freud is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/pink freud is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/pink freud is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/pink freud is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/
I'm confused as to how abalone is "metal." It's flashier than Liberace, ffs.
pink freud is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-15-2010, 03:36 PM   #13
SS.org Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by xkovacsx View Post
i was really hoping they'd change the design of their v series because they look retarded.
I totally, 100% agree. Just not good at all.

Eric Antonik
Myspace Profile
Unread 01-15-2010, 03:40 PM   #14
SS Contributor

wannabguitarist is a splendid one to beholdwannabguitarist is a splendid one to beholdwannabguitarist is a splendid one to beholdwannabguitarist is a splendid one to beholdwannabguitarist is a splendid one to behold
Feedback Score: 13 reviews
I'm one of those people that likes having a tone knob for each pickup
wannabguitarist is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-15-2010, 04:05 PM   #15
NDG
SS Contributor

NDG is just really niceNDG is just really nice
I'm kind of curious who you would say is "with the times." I haven't seen much this year that made me think, now that is innovative!
NDG is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-15-2010, 05:03 PM   #16
SS.org Regular

etiam is a jewel in the rough
The website is awful, the focus on new Les Paul style designs is bewildering, and the only non-Loomis 7 string that really looks eye-catching is the C-7 Custom. They need to get the lame overwrought stuff off of the Avenger and let that shape be sexy on its own.

Which it is.

Even though I own and like my Schecter, their necks just aren't doing it for me these days, so I can't get too excited about them, alas.

That said, they're still one of the only 7 string companies that seems to be producing guitars for the US with passive pickups, mahogany bodies, 26" and 26.5" scale lengths, and prices under $2K (EDIT: And that, sometimes, don't look ridiculous). Give and take, I guess.

--Circumspice--
etiam is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-15-2010, 05:35 PM   #17
Banned

Troegenator is on a distinguished road
I do like those Goldtop Tempests...sexy.
Troegenator is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-15-2010, 05:52 PM   #18
the Experimetalist

Location: the rain soaked post industrial wasteland known as Manchester, England
Triple-J is a name known to allTriple-J is a name known to allTriple-J is a name known to allTriple-J is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally Posted by pink freud View Post
I'm confused as to how abalone is "metal." It's flashier than Liberace, ffs.
That's exactly why I got rid of my Hellraiser it played great but looked like it belonged in a Puff Daddy video.

As for Schecter it's a valid point as the website is sloooooooooowww and some of their choices for sigs this year are absolutely ....ing baffling for example a Gwar sig? I am completely stumped as to how and why that guitar even got past the drawing board when some of their other models (such as the Hellraiser Scorpion!) REALLY need to be put back into production.

I will say though that as a whole this year is possibly the best year for 7's and erg players as there's been way more choice than we've had for several years now.

"People percieve the rock world as a dichotomy such as 'metal vs alternative' or 'mainstream vs underground' but dichotomies aren't real they're human constructs " - Kim Thayil

"They don't really understand that he was a funny mother@$%ker, he was not some down, dour drug addict. Nobody laughed more than Kurt and we had great times together" - Buzz Osbourne

Triple-J is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-15-2010, 06:30 PM   #19
SS.org Regular

I_infect is a glorious beacon of lightI_infect is a glorious beacon of lightI_infect is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
I am HUGE Schecter and ESP fan, but just not excited as last year, with their rush of 8's. They have alot of mid-level options, which is good, competition wise. Maybe that's what they wanted to concentrate on this year, saving the basswood $1500 bolt on guitars for Ibanez Agile had been burying Ibanez and Schecter/ESP for a few years on 7's/ERGs.

I may pick up a MH-417, may not, just because of the 25.5" scale I doubt I'll get any 2010 Schecters, unless it's a black Loomis. I'm on that.

Extended Scale Destroyer of Worlds

Still searching for the perfect cab...
I_infect is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-15-2010, 06:34 PM   #20
Ambiente Savante

signalgrey is a name known to allsignalgrey is a name known to allsignalgrey is a name known to allsignalgrey is a name known to all
i think Schecter is a step ahead of the ESP line. Ill agree that both are a bit boring though. i would like a Robin Finck Ultra....
signalgrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-15-2010, 06:37 PM   #21
SS.org Regular

I_infect is a glorious beacon of lightI_infect is a glorious beacon of lightI_infect is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by audibleE View Post

6. How many of you actually use 3 tone knobs on a guitar?
the thing is, I see alot of 'standardization' among all the brands' models... Ibanez using all 24 fret necks(S7420), and Schecter/ESP interchangeable head-stocks and bodies. It cuts down on production costs, and makes the parts pretty much universal. Wiring each pickup to a volume is alot easier than someone wiring split coils to a 5 way switch when they are getting paid pennies to do so; less room for error. A C-7 body can easily become a hellraiser body and vice versa, depending on production numbers and what quotas they need. Is it limiting? sure, but we are seeing alot of that in todays economy. slimming down/buttoning up.

Extended Scale Destroyer of Worlds

Still searching for the perfect cab...
I_infect is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-15-2010, 07:24 PM   #22
Banned

mrhankey87 is a glorious beacon of lightmrhankey87 is a glorious beacon of lightmrhankey87 is a glorious beacon of light
100% agree with the op.

also, being a graphic designer, I see that "Star Wars" or "Mac OSX 10.5" thing really tacky.

The inlays are horrible, too.
mrhankey87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-16-2010, 12:48 AM   #23
Consumer Whore

XeoFLCL is a name known to allXeoFLCL is a name known to allXeoFLCL is a name known to allXeoFLCL is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Slightly disappointed in the Damien 8.. only because I was expecting a metallic blue I've been wanting a blue guitar for a while now, but I can settle with red.

Regardless it'll prolly be my first 8, being I'm not a fan of 27" and beyond scales however want to get an 8..

Check out my band, 1371:
www.facebook.com/1371band

¯\(゜Д゜)

¯\(゜Д゜)/¯

¯\(゜Д゜ 三゜Д゜)/¯

"North Korean women in uniforms waving at the traffic, raining from the sky on platforms, hold by giant umbrellas. Scary... just wait until they invent electricity and traffic lights. Imagine traffic lights falling from the sky and just confusing everyone..." - SD83
XeoFLCL is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-16-2010, 12:49 AM   #24
NANNIE DOSS!

a_hub10 will become famous soon enough
I like the new line, they are just adding more options for the consumer.
a_hub10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-16-2010, 01:08 AM   #25
ss.org Addict

DevinShidaker is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/DevinShidaker is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/DevinShidaker is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/DevinShidaker is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/DevinShidaker is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/DevinShidaker is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/DevinShidaker is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
one thing I'd like to point out that I found funny, if you look at the blackjack 8 string, it says that it comes with blackouts, but the guitar in the picture clearly has EMG's
DevinShidaker is offline   Reply With Quote