homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   photo gallery   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > Music Discussion > Sevenstring Guitars
LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter

Sevenstring Guitars Discuss all aspects of seven string guitars here.

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 12-25-2009, 04:04 AM   #1
JP BFR Whore

Metalus is a glorious beacon of lightMetalus is a glorious beacon of lightMetalus is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Best 7 string gauge for Drop A for my S7420FM?

I play in AEADGBE and was wondering what would be a good gauge for the 7th string (Im looking for the usual things. Tightness, clarity, nice good resistance)

I heard Alex from Whitechapel uses a .70 but my bitchy little fingers wouldnt be able to handle that . I currently have a .59 but ive become very dissatisfied with it. .65 maybe? Im assuming i should buy a bass string in this size that corresponds to whatever string set i buy. Thanks in advance for everyone's help
Metalus is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
Seven String

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 12-25-2009, 05:07 AM   #2
Baritone Funbags

EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
I have 10-46 and a 66 on my 7321, same tuning. Seems perfect for me, tried a few gauges lower than this until I found this one which I like Don't buy a bass string, as they are different than guitar strings in ways other than size..Don't know more about that but it's what I've heard. UNLESS your using Elixir nanowebs which are the same. I use D'addarios and their guitar strings go up to 80 or something.
EtherealEntity is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-25-2009, 06:13 AM   #3
JP BFR Whore

Metalus is a glorious beacon of lightMetalus is a glorious beacon of lightMetalus is a glorious beacon of light
Sweet. Could i get a link to the .66 string set?
Unread 12-25-2009, 08:40 AM   #4
Baritone Funbags

EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.
You wont find these strings in a set usually. 7 string sets tend to be several gauges floppy on the low string, even in standard tuning. You'll need to get them individually, but it's not problem. Especially where you live you can order rarer gauges straight from their site. Here's what I use;
The 6 set
DAddarioFretted Strings Electric Strings XL Nickel Round Wound EXL110 Regular Light 10-46

And the 66
DAddarioFretted Strings Electric Strings All Electric String Singles XL Nickel Wound Singles
EtherealEntity is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-25-2009, 10:47 AM   #5
ss.org Regular

Ironberry is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
That must be the most metal set of strings of all time!

hehe, 666.
DjentDjentlalala likes this.
Ironberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-25-2009, 12:39 PM   #6
Consumer Whore

XeoFLCL is a name known to allXeoFLCL is a name known to allXeoFLCL is a name known to allXeoFLCL is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I use a .68 elixir for drop A and it's perfect tension.

That being said, I recommend you check out Elixirs if you haven't.

Check out my band, 1371:
www.facebook.com/1371band

\(゜Д゜)

\(゜Д゜)/

\(゜Д゜ 三゜Д゜)/

"North Korean women in uniforms waving at the traffic, raining from the sky on platforms, hold by giant umbrellas. Scary... just wait until they invent electricity and traffic lights. Imagine traffic lights falling from the sky and just confusing everyone..." - SD83
XeoFLCL is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-25-2009, 03:34 PM   #7
SS.org Regular

whosdealin is just really nicewhosdealin is just really nice
Feedback Score: 13 reviews
I also tune to Drop A. Ive found that with a normal scale (25.5 or so) 64-68 would work well. On an extended scale like a 27in then 60-64 would work.

I would buy a few individual strings of different gauge and try them out. It depends on how you pick and the action of your guitar.
whosdealin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-25-2009, 03:52 PM   #8
Nick // Axe Palace

zimbloth is Odin incarnatezimbloth is Odin incarnatezimbloth is Odin incarnatezimbloth is Odin incarnatezimbloth is Odin incarnatezimbloth is Odin incarnatezimbloth is Odin incarnatezimbloth is Odin incarnatezimbloth is Odin incarnatezimbloth is Odin incarnatezimbloth is Odin incarnatezimbloth is Odin incarnatezimbloth is Odin incarnatezimbloth is Odin incarnatezimbloth is Odin incarnate
Feedback Score: 49 reviews
I would never use anything above a .060 for A personally. I've tried every gauge imaginable and have always found that the heavier you go the more mellow, round, and murky the tone becomes. Lighter gauges always sound tighter, crisper, clearer, and more aggressive by comparison. I also find things can sound bland when the tension is too high, as vibration is a key to tone IMO - within reason of course.

Since string vibration is relative to how hard you're picking, you can just adjust your technique slightly to become more efficient without having the strings be too floppy. That way you don't need to bash the hell out of the strings to get that huge attack.

I know I sound like a broken record here, but I can't help it since I always see the "heavier the gauge the better" stuff thrown out there and my experience says the exact opposite. Whenever I'm working on a guitar that sounds dull or muddy, often simply going to a lighter gauge alleviates the problem.

Jason_Clement likes this.

The Axe Palace <-- Dealer for: BKP, DiMarzio, Ibanez, Mayones, ENGL, Diezel, Orange, Fryette, ESP, Caparison, PRS, Vigier, Dean, Parker, Flaxwood, G&L, Schecter and many more.

NEW WEBSITE IS NOW LIVE: www.axepalace.com

zimbloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-25-2009, 10:25 PM   #9
JP BFR Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by EtherealEntity View Post
You wont find these strings in a set usually. 7 string sets tend to be several gauges floppy on the low string, even in standard tuning. You'll need to get them individually, but it's not problem. Especially where you live you can order rarer gauges straight from their site. Here's what I use;
The 6 set
DAddarioFretted Strings Electric Strings XL Nickel Round Wound EXL110 Regular Light 10-46

And the 66
DAddarioFretted Strings Electric Strings All Electric String Singles XL Nickel Wound Singles
Thanks a bunch man. Imma look into ordering them soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by XeoFLCL View Post
I use a .68 elixir for drop A and it's perfect tension.

That being said, I recommend you check out Elixirs if you haven't.
Ive always heard good things about Elixirs. Ill look into them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whosdealin View Post
I also tune to Drop A. Ive found that with a normal scale (25.5 or so) 64-68 would work well. On an extended scale like a 27in then 60-64 would work.

I would buy a few individual strings of different gauge and try them out. It depends on how you pick and the action of your guitar.
I pick very light. I only pick hard when i do rhythms. Even so i consider myself a pretty light picker. Ill probably try a .60, .62 or .64

Quote:
Originally Posted by zimbloth View Post
I would never use anything above a .060 for A personally. I've tried every gauge imaginable and have always found that the heavier you go the more mellow, round, and murky the tone becomes. Lighter gauges always sound tighter, crisper, clearer, and more aggressive by comparison. I also find things can sound bland when the tension is too high, as vibration is a key to tone IMO - within reason of course.

Since string vibration is relative to how hard you're picking, you can just adjust your technique slightly to become more efficient without having the strings be too floppy. That way you don't need to bash the hell out of the strings to get that huge attack.

I know I sound like a broken record here, but I can't help it since I always see the "heavier the gauge the better" stuff thrown out there and my experience says the exact opposite. Whenever I'm working on a guitar that sounds dull or muddy, often simply going to a lighter gauge alleviates the problem.

The .59 right now just feels so loose that its bothering me. Imma try .60, .62 and .64 and see which one works better.

Thanks for the responses everybody
Unread 12-26-2009, 12:53 AM   #10
SS.org Regular

AzzMan has a spectacular aura about
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
What scale is your guitar? Assuming it's the S7 you're talking about, I'd imagine it's a 25.5" (I don't know Ibbys that well, maybe I'm wrong?) so perhaps a 60-62 would be in your range. I found I like running 11-58 sets on my 26.5" Schecter, they aren't floppy in drop A, or at least I don't think so, and for a standard scale, I don't think you'd ever need to get up to a .70 unless you wanted it to be really smooth. Alex Wade is actually here on SS somewhere, and I'm 99% sure he and the other two guitarists from Whitechapel do in fact run .70s. I don't know how their tone is so tight.
AzzMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-26-2009, 03:22 AM   #11
JP BFR Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzzMan View Post
What scale is your guitar? Assuming it's the S7 you're talking about, I'd imagine it's a 25.5" (I don't know Ibbys that well, maybe I'm wrong?) so perhaps a 60-62 would be in your range. I found I like running 11-58 sets on my 26.5" Schecter, they aren't floppy in drop A, or at least I don't think so, and for a standard scale, I don't think you'd ever need to get up to a .70 unless you wanted it to be really smooth. Alex Wade is actually here on SS somewhere, and I'm 99% sure he and the other two guitarists from Whitechapel do in fact run .70s. I don't know how their tone is so tight.
Its 25.5". Im definitely gonna try a .60 or .62. I have a .59 right now so i might as well go with the 62 to really notice the difference. Another reason I dont wanna go up to .70 is because my little bitchy fingers wouldnt be able to handle it

As far as Whitechapel goes, tell me about it. No idea how their tone is so tight .
Unread 12-26-2009, 03:24 AM   #12
Nick // Axe Palace

zimbloth is Odin incarnatezimbloth is Odin incarnatezimbloth is Odin incarnatezimbloth is Odin incarnatezimbloth is Odin incarnatezimbloth is Odin incarnatezimbloth is Odin incarnatezimbloth is Odin incarnatezimbloth is Odin incarnatezimbloth is Odin incarnatezimbloth is Odin incarnatezimbloth is Odin incarnatezimbloth is Odin incarnatezimbloth is Odin incarnatezimbloth is Odin incarnate
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metalus View Post
I pick very light. I only pick hard when i do rhythms. Even so i consider myself a pretty light picker. Ill probably try a .60, .62 or .64

The .59 right now just feels so loose that its bothering me. Imma try .60, .62 and .64 and see which one works better.

Thanks for the responses everybody
Do you use a .046 for the 6th string 'D'? If you like how that feels, a .062 would have the exact same amount of tension.

The Axe Palace <-- Dealer for: BKP, DiMarzio, Ibanez, Mayones, ENGL, Diezel, Orange, Fryette, ESP, Caparison, PRS, Vigier, Dean, Parker, Flaxwood, G&L, Schecter and many more.

Unread 12-26-2009, 03:30 AM   #13
JP BFR Whore

Yeah i have a .46 on the 6th string but i have it tuned to E. Should i still go for a .62?
Unread 12-26-2009, 03:36 AM   #14
SS Contributor

wannabguitarist is a splendid one to beholdwannabguitarist is a splendid one to beholdwannabguitarist is a splendid one to beholdwannabguitarist is a splendid one to beholdwannabguitarist is a splendid one to behold
I use a 9-42 Elixer set with a 56 for the A, but that's lighter than what you use soo
wannabguitarist is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-26-2009, 02:47 PM   #15
JP BFR Whore

Oh man if i dont like the .59 I probably wouldnt like a .56 either
Unread 12-26-2009, 03:44 PM   #16
SS.org Regular

whosdealin is just really nicewhosdealin is just really nice
If you do not like a 59 then I wouldnt bother with a 60. Id say grab one 62 and a 64 and go from there.
whosdealin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-27-2009, 02:29 AM   #17
JP BFR Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by whosdealin View Post
If you do not like a 59 then I wouldnt bother with a 60. Id say grab one 62 and a 64 and go from there.
Unread 12-27-2009, 02:32 AM   #18
Nick // Axe Palace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metalus View Post
Yeah i have a .46 on the 6th string but i have it tuned to E. Should i still go for a .62?
Oh right, yeah you'd probably want to go for a .064 or .066 then, if you want to match the tension to your E. However I sometimes prefer a lower tension 7th string, it has its benefits to me.

Unread 12-27-2009, 02:35 AM   #19
JP BFR Whore

Quote:
Oh right, yeah you'd probably want to go for a .064 or .066 then, if you want to match the tension to your E. However I sometimes prefer a lower tension 7th string, it has its benefits to me.
Awesome. Thanks dude
Unread 12-27-2009, 08:55 AM   #20
Dedicated Headbanger

Haunted is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
I sometimes prefer a lower tension 7th string, it has its benefits to me.
makes it easier to djent...
Haunted is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-27-2009, 09:08 AM   #21
Talk To DeWalt

jymellis is the epitome of metal.jymellis is the epitome of metal.jymellis is the epitome of metal.jymellis is the epitome of metal.jymellis is the epitome of metal.jymellis is the epitome of metal.jymellis is the epitome of metal.jymellis is the epitome of metal.jymellis is the epitome of metal.
keep in mind if you change to elixirs they hold a little more tension. on the exact same guitar i am using 9-42 with a 52 for the b-a (i tune to b, b flat, and a) on my rgs i use 10-46 with a 56 and i also change tune them. im pretty hapy with these. i buy the 6 string 9 set and a single all from www.stringsandbeyond.com they are the cheapest when you include shipping charges, plus they usually throw in some picks and stickers and stuff!
jymellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-07-2010, 12:46 PM   #22
JP BFR Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by jymellis View Post
keep in mind if you change to elixirs they hold a little more tension. on the exact same guitar i am using 9-42 with a 52 for the b-a (i tune to b, b flat, and a) on my rgs i use 10-46 with a 56 and i also change tune them. im pretty hapy with these. i buy the 6 string 9 set and a single all from www.stringsandbeyond.com they are the cheapest when you include shipping charges, plus they usually throw in some picks and stickers and stuff!
Thanks for the suggestions dude
Unread 01-07-2010, 04:07 PM   #23
boy in a coma

AngryGoldfish is on a distinguished road
I found a standard set of standard .010's with a low .054 to be too loose in drop A (for Korn usage it's fine) as I couldn't get a really aggressive attack from the strings for heavy chordal work.

I bumped my gauge up to .060 and it was improved, but not quite enough. I then tried a .070, which was too much - overly thick sounding - so I hit up a .064 D'Addario and I'm pretty contented, and that's with a neck that's very similar to yours.

I'm making a new supergroup with me as superman
AngryGoldfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-07-2010, 06:32 PM   #24
ss.org Regular

vigil785 is a jewel in the rough
I use elixer's 10-46+65 for drop A and it works great. The 65 is a nanoweb bass string though and they are pretty expensive. I am thinking of moving up to the 68 guitar string because they are cheaper and I want a bit more tension.
vigil785 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-07-2010, 07:16 PM   #25
SS.org Regular

etiam is a jewel in the rough
I'm running DR Tite-Fits, 10-56, on a 25.5" Schecter neck in drop Bb, and I find the low Bb to be too loose. 62-64 would be my suggestion for you, based on your criteria.

I know we've had some threads on string tension in the past, including some gauge/tension calculators being posted; did anyone ever produce the definitive tool for that?

--Circumspice--
etiam is offline   Reply With Quote