homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   photo gallery   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > Music Discussion > Sevenstring Guitars
LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter

Sevenstring Guitars Discuss all aspects of seven string guitars here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 12-24-2009, 02:40 PM   #1
ss.org Regular

Khern has a spectacular aura about
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I need an opinion

I own a Schecter Hellraiser 7 and have a deal where I can trade it in to get a Dean RC7X at a very good price.
What do you think I should do? Should I get the Dean or should I just keep the Hellraiser?
Thanks
Khern is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
Seven String

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 12-24-2009, 02:41 PM   #2
SS.org Regular

Hollowman is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Keep the Hellraiser.
Hollowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-24-2009, 02:42 PM   #3
ss.org Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollowman666 View Post
Keep the Hellraiser.
Can you give me a reason why i should keep it?
Unread 12-24-2009, 02:53 PM   #4
Dan

Dan is pretty damn metal.Dan is pretty damn metal.Dan is pretty damn metal.Dan is pretty damn metal.Dan is pretty damn metal.Dan is pretty damn metal.Dan is pretty damn metal.Dan is pretty damn metal.
Feedback Score: 12 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Khern View Post
Can you give me a reason why i should keep it?
Dean are completely unreliable, sometimes you cant trust what they are selling. The hellraiser is a much better guitar allround.

I personally would wait till after NAMM, there will be more to choose from then

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dan is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-24-2009, 04:18 PM   #5
Pardon my french

Andromalia is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Andromalia is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Andromalia is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Andromalia is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Andromalia is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Andromalia is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Andromalia is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/
Haven't played it, bus as to where Dean is related, their higher end imports are usually of good quality. The VMNT I own certainly is one of the best korean guitars I've ever laid my paws on.
Their low end stuf is sometimes of disputable quality, yes.
So, no idea about the rusty, but you shouldn't be afraid of quality there.
Andromalia is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-24-2009, 06:34 PM   #6
ss.org Regular

JesseTheMachine is a jewel in the rough
Get the RC7, if not just for the badass paint job
JesseTheMachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-24-2009, 06:41 PM   #7
ss.org Regular

Kevp714 has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plug View Post
Dean are completely unreliable, sometimes you cant trust what they are selling. The hellraiser is a much better guitar allround.

I personally would wait till after NAMM, there will be more to choose from then
^This

NOBODY MOVE! ... I dropped me brain
Kevp714 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-24-2009, 06:42 PM   #8
Giddyup.

Prydogga is pretty damn metal.Prydogga is pretty damn metal.Prydogga is pretty damn metal.Prydogga is pretty damn metal.Prydogga is pretty damn metal.Prydogga is pretty damn metal.Prydogga is pretty damn metal.Prydogga is pretty damn metal.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JesseTheMachine View Post
RC7X, no badass paint job to speak of.

M E M O I R S
Music from myself and Kurkkuviipale!
http://soundcloud.com/m-e-m-o-i-r-s

I also do graphic design, both freelance and for label Myriad Records.
Prydogga is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-24-2009, 06:50 PM   #9
InstruMentalHead

zeal0us is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by JesseTheMachine View Post
The sparkly black paint was the best thing about mine. (Note: Thread is about an RC7x, not Mr. Badass Paint Job RC7G )

I had an RC7x, alongside my current Loomis, and RG7620. The RC7x's neck felt a lot like the RG7620, and even the weight distribution was very similar. But I had to pick and it was the one to go, replaced by an Intrepid.

It felt a little 'cheap', and its specs are pretty different from Cooley's actual signature, the RC7G. Smaller frets, OFR (which dug into my forearm because of the body design- doesn't happen at all on the Loomis which also has OFR), neck not sunk as low into the body, basically most of the benefits that the RC7G provides were just not there- except for the cutaway. The RC7 guitars are based off the Ibanez guitars that Cooley used to play, and TBH, the Ibanez I have kills the RC7x IMO. And out of all these guitars, the Loomis is my favorite... which I suppose is close enough to a regular C7.

If you like how the neck feels, I'd recommend you keep what you've got. If you want an RC7x, get an RG7420/7620.

If angels could shred-sing, they would sound like John Petrucci.
zeal0us is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-24-2009, 06:52 PM   #10
ss.org Regular

JesseTheMachine is a jewel in the rough
Jeez, paintjob or bust... Stay with the Hellraiser
JesseTheMachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-24-2009, 06:53 PM   #11
Giddyup.

Prydogga is pretty damn metal.Prydogga is pretty damn metal.Prydogga is pretty damn metal.Prydogga is pretty damn metal.Prydogga is pretty damn metal.Prydogga is pretty damn metal.Prydogga is pretty damn metal.Prydogga is pretty damn metal.
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeal0us View Post
The sparkly black paint was the best thing about mine. (Note: Thread is about an RC7x, not Mr. Badass Paintjob RC7G )

I had an RC7x, alongside my current Loomis, and RG7620. The RC7x's neck felt a lot like the RG7620, and even the weight distribution was very similar. But I had to pick and it was the one to go, replaced by an Intrepid.

It felt a little 'cheap', and its specs are pretty different from Cooley's actual signature, the RC7G. Smaller frets, OFR (which dug into my forearm because of the body design- doesn't happen at all on the Loomis which also has OFR), neck not sunk as low into the body, basically most of the benefits that the RC7G provides were just not there- except for the cutaway. The RC7 guitars are based off the Ibanez guitars Cooley used to play, and TBH, the Ibanez I have kills it IMO. And out of all these guitars, the Loomis is my favorite... which I suppose is close enough to a regular C7.

If you like how the neck feels, I'd recommend you keep what you've got. If you want an RC7x, get an RG7420/7620.
QFT!!

M E M O I R S
Music from myself and Kurkkuviipale!
http://soundcloud.com/m-e-m-o-i-r-s

I also do graphic design, both freelance and for label Myriad Records.
Prydogga is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-24-2009, 09:18 PM   #12
ss.org Regular

Thanks for all your help i will definitely keep all this in mind, but i am still going to try the rc7x and if i don't like it I will keep the schecter.
Unread 12-29-2009, 09:17 PM   #13
ss.org Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeal0us View Post
The sparkly black paint was the best thing about mine. (Note: Thread is about an RC7x, not Mr. Badass Paint Job RC7G )

It felt a little 'cheap', and its specs are pretty different from Cooley's actual signature, the RC7G. Smaller frets, OFR (which dug into my forearm because of the body design- doesn't happen at all on the Loomis which also has OFR), neck not sunk as low into the body, basically most of the benefits that the RC7G provides were just not there- except for the cutaway. The RC7 guitars are based off the Ibanez guitars that Cooley used to play, and TBH, the Ibanez I have kills the RC7x IMO. And out of all these guitars, the Loomis is my favorite... which I suppose is close enough to a regular C7.

Did you like the neck on the rc7x?
Unread 12-29-2009, 11:05 PM   #14
Luthier A Holic

Ultraworld is a jewel in the rough
I've been a Luthier for 30yrs.I have worked on them both & purchased I a C1 Hellraiser several years ago. I also own several early 80's Dean Guitars. The new Deans are no where near as good in my opinion. Schecter is owned by ESP, which is a good thing. The Hellraisers compare with the LTD-1000 series. The fit & Finnish, fret work, figured top woods, bindings, inlays & brand name pickups make the Schecter a great value. I really think the Deans are a step down in quality.

Luthier a holic
Ultraworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-30-2009, 08:34 PM   #15
ss.org Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultraworld View Post
I've been a Luthier for 30yrs.I have worked on them both & purchased I a C1 Hellraiser several years ago. I also own several early 80's Dean Guitars. The new Deans are no where near as good in my opinion. Schecter is owned by ESP, which is a good thing. The Hellraisers compare with the LTD-1000 series. The fit & Finnish, fret work, figured top woods, bindings, inlays & brand name pickups make the Schecter a great value. I really think the Deans are a step down in quality.
The Dean has most of that stuff to though, it has emg's, an original floyd, grover tuners, and an ebony board. The only bad thing Ive heard so far from people who own the guitar is that the frets are smaller then the usa version.
Unread 12-30-2009, 08:45 PM   #16
SS.org Regular

J0NNYBRAV0 is a glorious beacon of lightJ0NNYBRAV0 is a glorious beacon of lightJ0NNYBRAV0 is a glorious beacon of light
I just got a Dean RC7X and I also own a Schecter Loomis sig, which is based on the C7 Hellrasier series. Depending on the price you can get the Dean, I would say go for it but keep this in mind ---> the frets are very small and the fretwork is not fantastic.

I am going to refret my RC7X with Dunlop 6000's and then it will probably be the best guitar I own. The neck is amazingly fantastic: very comfortable and thin but not too thin where it cramps your hand. The original floyd rose it has, I prefer over the low profile version on the USA model. It sounds and plays awesome aside from the smallish frets.
J0NNYBRAV0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-30-2009, 10:40 PM   #17
ss.org Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by J0NNYBRAV0 View Post
I just got a Dean RC7X and I also own a Schecter Loomis sig, which is based on the C7 Hellrasier series. Depending on the price you can get the Dean, I would say go for it but keep this in mind ---> the frets are very small and the fretwork is not fantastic.

I am going to refret my RC7X with Dunlop 6000's and then it will probably be the best guitar I own. The neck is amazingly fantastic: very comfortable and thin but not too thin where it cramps your hand. The original floyd rose it has, I prefer over the low profile version on the USA model. It sounds and plays awesome aside from the smallish frets.
Thanks, I actually saw your youtube review the other day.
Unread 01-04-2010, 09:45 PM   #18
ss.org Regular

I went through with the deal and got the RC7X.I am very impressed! It sounds a lot better then the hellraiser in my opinion, it has a lot of low end. The neck and cutaway are great, I can really get up high without touching the body. I do notice the frets being smaller but its not that bad, ill get used to it. It came set up pretty well from the factory and there aren't any finish flaws and i was worried because i heard people saying Dean has bad quality control. The case is very nice and i heard that it was a pain that the guitar didn't have a battery compartment for the emg's but i was surprised that mine had one so maybe they just started putting them in.

Sorry for the bad pic, its from my phone, I will take better ones tomorrow on my digital camera.
Unread 01-05-2010, 06:27 PM   #19
SS.org Regular

J0NNYBRAV0 is a glorious beacon of lightJ0NNYBRAV0 is a glorious beacon of lightJ0NNYBRAV0 is a glorious beacon of light
@Khern

Nice man. It will feel a bit sloppy the few few days but once you play for a while it will get "greasy" for lack of a better word haha. The oil on your fingers makes everything so much smoother. I hate the feel of a new guitar.

I inquired about a refret and the guy just emailed me back today saying it would cost about $200. I think I'll go through with it even though after a few weeks of playing it I don't really feel the need to anymore. But it can only get better with bigger frets!
J0NNYBRAV0 is offline   Reply With Quote