homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   photo gallery   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > Music Discussion > Recording Studio
LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter

Recording Studio Discussion on everything recording based, such as mixing, mastering, mics, monitors and other gear.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 03-17-2009, 02:00 AM   #1
Bounce The Tits

Cadavuh is a name known to allCadavuh is a name known to allCadavuh is a name known to allCadavuh is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Interface question

Im want to start some home recordings pretty soon and ive decided to go with a presonus interface. whats the difference between a firebox and a firestudio besides the number of channels? im going to be programing the drums and just recording guitar/bass so is spending that extra 250$ gonna help me at all?
Cadavuh is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
Seven String

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 03-17-2009, 02:26 AM   #2
stay tuned

damigu is just really nicedamigu is just really nice
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
yep, the only difference is number of inputs/outputs.

if you're certain that you don't want/need more ins/outs, then you'll be fine with the firebox.
my friend bought a firebox to use while he traveled around in asia and it's served him very well.
damigu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-17-2009, 03:09 PM   #3
Loathes emulation...

CynicEidolon is just really niceCynicEidolon is just really nice
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Well, there are a few other things beside the I/O's. Look at the midi/spdif port. It's a serial connection. Not your typical ones. Also, the Pre's in that thing are not very good. I won't say they suck, but from what I've heard through them, they just don't hold their ground against the XMAX pre's in the Firestudio stuff. Also, it doesn't have ADAT I/o's which I HAVE to have since I'm getting the RME RayDAT card soon. :P

My faith is sound and sound is my faith.

BREA http://www.breaband.com
Post-metal/Ambient/Stoner-Rock
(Isis, Jesu, Mastodon, Intronaut, Textures, Rosetta)

Artisan Studio
www.facebook.com/artisanstudio
CynicEidolon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-17-2009, 03:25 PM   #4
stay tuned

damigu is just really nicedamigu is just really nice
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
the firebox comes with a cable to plugs into that 9 pin serial port that has 4 dongles (standard 5 pin MIDI in and out, and RCA S/PDIF in and out).
they made it a serial port for the sake of compactness, since having 2 MIDI jacks on the unit would have to increase its size by almost 50%.

i'm fairly certain the OP isn't concerned with MIDI, S/PDIF, or ADAT compatibility since it sounds like he's only looking for a few line and mic channels direct to PC.

i disagree about the pre-amps, though. the ones in the firebox *ARE* very good. not the best, but easily better than anything else in the price range.
(on a side note, i didn't know the firestudio had different pre-amps until now--the firebox has the same pres as were in the firepod/fp10, but i guess they upgraded them when recently when switching to the firestudio line)
damigu is offline   Reply With Quote