homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   photo gallery   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > Music Discussion > Recording Studio
LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter

Recording Studio Discussion on everything recording based, such as mixing, mastering, mics, monitors and other gear.

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By KingAenarion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 08-08-2012, 05:45 PM   #1
Formerly Lern2Swim

Ben.Last is a glorious beacon of lightBen.Last is a glorious beacon of lightBen.Last is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
What do you have *on* your guitar while recording?

What extras do you have in your signal chain while doing the actual recording of your guitars? Regardless of whether you are going to be using the DI signal and only monitoring the effected audio or if you're actually using the signal as you record it, what do you have on there? Amp and cab probably. TS? EQ? Compressor?

I'm trying to figure out what exactly I want to be adding after recording vs. what I want on the actual recorded signal/monitored signal, and I'd like to hear how other people treat this.
Ben.Last is online now   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
Seven String

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 08-08-2012, 05:53 PM   #2
A Different Logic

illimmigrant is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Guitar => Axe FX2. Within it, TS808 => Noise Gate => Amp => Cab => EQ => Volume. Then one more EQ in the DAW for Mixing. Fairly simple.
illimmigrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-08-2012, 06:00 PM   #3
Needs more strings

EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.
I'd just think about what is going to affect your performance.
You will play differently if you don't have a screamer, for example, I'd imagine.
I construct a basic tone for the song which is often just the final mix tone of the last track I did (which gets completely re-done by the time I finish the current track, haha).
So usually that will be a Screamer and Head in Revalver, a cab impulse, and then an EQ. Sometimes compression. I disable noisegate to make me play as tight and clean as possible.
I'd say as long as you have the correct gain level it doesn't matter too much - you just want to be listening to an amp that makes you pick right I guess.
And of course anything like delay parts you're going to want to track WITH the delay to get it anywhere near how it should be.
EtherealEntity is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-08-2012, 07:17 PM   #4
Resident Studio Nerd

KingAenarion is a glorious beacon of lightKingAenarion is a glorious beacon of lightKingAenarion is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
No gate... I never let anyone track with a gate.

The way I set monitoring gain is as little gain as possible. If they do any pinch harmonics, that's what I'll set the gain level too. If it's too little gain to pinch with, then they won't feel it right. Otherwise, I go for little gain to get them hitting the strings harder, as well as to better hear their intonation.
adadglgmut likes this.

My band - Ex Curia - Prog in an Opeth meets Karnivool meets Porcupine Tree meets Tool kind of way
KingAenarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-08-2012, 09:36 PM   #5
Notes from a Ghost

adadglgmut is a jewel in the rough
I usually try to get the majority of my effects and modulation in before I record, ie. running through my pedal board. Granted, I don't use an AxeFX and prefer to get my rig to interact with the room I'm in (which is a whole other can of worms...).

Just about the only effects that I add in after recording are various EQs, individual single comps and multi comps and a touch of room verb to get everything to sit together. Really, there is no one way to do it. For some heavy effect driven passages or weird space-trip ambient type stuff, you might rely more heavily on post-recording processing to set the mood and keep things clear.
adadglgmut is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-08-2012, 09:58 PM   #6
Needs more strings

EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.
Yeah, King has it. I forgot that I ALWAYS pinch harmonic check despite never playing pinch harmonics in my music, haha.
EtherealEntity is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-09-2012, 03:14 AM   #7
\m/^_^\m/

AliceLG is just really niceAliceLG is just really nice
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
My recording rig is my live rig. It's actually my only rig

In the DAW I'd fiddle with EQs, compressors and reverbs when needed.

Metal is the air I breathe

For poorly recorded melo/black/power/thrash metal click here

AliceLG is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-09-2012, 04:02 AM   #8
SS.org Regular

Edika is a name known to allEdika is a name known to allEdika is a name known to allEdika is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
My experience when tracking in a studio was that you find a tone on the amp itself which sounds good with proper mic placement and that's that. It is important to find a sound that you can play well but that will also sound good in the mix and the type of music you'll be playing. Taking the signal wit a DI is always a good idea to have options after the mix. EQ'ing, modulation effects, compressors, gates, limiters were put afterwards so the original signal should be closer to what the end sound would be.

New songs from my band Semic Stains up at:

http://www.myspace.com/semicstains

Check 'em out!
Edika is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-09-2012, 04:07 AM   #9
I can count to 8.

octatonic is a jewel in the rough
It is either:

Amp -> mic (usually a Sennheiser E906) -> Groove Tubes Vipre Preamp -> Focusrite ISA220 (for eq only) ->Apogee Rosetta 800 converter.

or

Axe FX.

I don't track with compression- the amp should have enough if it is dialed in correctly.
I actually don't like compression on guitars that much- it kills dynamics, although if doing a lot of layering then I might compress the guitar bus a tad- but no more than a db or two of reduction.
octatonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-09-2012, 08:54 AM   #10
SS Contributor

Dr. Von Goosewing is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingAenarion View Post
No gate... I never let anyone track with a gate.

The way I set monitoring gain is as little gain as possible. If they do any pinch harmonics, that's what I'll set the gain level too. If it's too little gain to pinch with, then they won't feel it right. Otherwise, I go for little gain to get them hitting the strings harder, as well as to better hear their intonation.
I agree using only as much gain as you need makes sense, but I'm curious as to why you would not record with a gate? After all, if it's set up right you're only cutting out sounds you don't want, right? Is it more of a psychological "gates encourage sloppy playing so = bad take" philosophy? Do you leave noisegating to the mix stage?

"... I understand that Absinthe makes the tart grow fonder..." - Ernest Dowson
Dr. Von Goosewing is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-09-2012, 10:04 AM   #11
Dude

Ghost40 is a glorious beacon of lightGhost40 is a glorious beacon of lightGhost40 is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 12 reviews
Guitar > Modded TS9 > Mesa Dual Rec > Cab > interface > DAW. I don't normally add anything until after the recording. Then its pretty much just EQ.
Ghost40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-09-2012, 11:25 AM   #12
Assman McTrollster

axxessdenied is a name known to allaxxessdenied is a name known to allaxxessdenied is a name known to allaxxessdenied is a name known to all
> pod hd pro > firestudio project > daw
But I'm new to all this... digital is definitely easier to work with than mic'ing up a cab (tried it haha)

The WIP Thread
Give feedback to others, and get some in return on your works in progress!

musical exploration - Check out my site.
check it out! [ SoundCloud ] [ YouTube Channel ][ Instagram ]

Looking for great strings for your ERG?
http://www.sevenstring.org/forum/sig...pic36618_2.gif
axxessdenied is online now   Reply With Quote