homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   photo gallery   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > Music Discussion > Recording Studio
LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter

Recording Studio Discussion on everything recording based, such as mixing, mastering, mics, monitors and other gear.

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By EtherealEntity
  • 1 Post By iceythe
  • 1 Post By Crescendo

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 07-22-2012, 11:11 AM   #1
rololoo

Crescendo is on a distinguished road
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Problem with Kefir (impulse loader)

I switched to Kefir from LeCab because it sucked, but now I have a problem with Kefir. The impulse response on that program only works if the guitar track is panned left. No matter how I click the damn L R buttons it never works on the right channel. If I move the pan slider to the left, the IR starts working but if it's hard right, all I hear is the dry amp signal. Help
Crescendo is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
Seven String

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 07-22-2012, 01:56 PM   #2
Neo Star Nova-Z

BrianWaymire is on a distinguished road
hopefully this can help. While I've never used that program that usually means it's a stereo problem it used to happen to me with my new interface.
BrianWaymire is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-22-2012, 02:02 PM   #3
Needs more strings

EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Trying to use it on a guitar bus, with one guitar panned left and right, yeah? Hmm, I don't know why that doesn't work. I always used to do that.
But I don't know why you would switch from LeCab. LeCab (at least LeCab 2, never tried 1) is miles ahead of Kefir.
EtherealEntity is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-23-2012, 04:20 AM   #4
rololoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by EtherealEntity View Post
Trying to use it on a guitar bus, with one guitar panned left and right, yeah? Hmm, I don't know why that doesn't work. I always used to do that.
But I don't know why you would switch from LeCab. LeCab (at least LeCab 2, never tried 1) is miles ahead of Kefir.
I have two separate guitar tracks and they both have an independent Kefir opened. Right one doesn't work.

Why not LeCab? Because it turned out to make my impulses sound like shit, nothing like the EQ curve sounded like when I was making this one IR. On Kefir it sounds pretty much exactly the way it's supposed to sound like.
Unread 07-23-2012, 04:27 AM   #5
Needs more strings

EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.
Fair play - I have heard of one other occasion where one person found different loaders to affect just one particular impulse badly. Never experienced it myself.

I know the problem now bro, by default single channel operation is done by the L button. They actually don't mean L and R at all until you use them in a stereo operation.
Just because you are doing your right guitar, doesn't mean you need to press R. You pan the guitar in you DAW AFTER the Kefir plugin.
So Track 1 'Guitar L' , Kefir plugin L mode. Track panned left.
Track 2 'Guitar R', Kefir plugin ALSO L mode. Track panned right.

The function of the L and R buttons is for the following application, which will save you work and CPU power if you are using the exact same cab on both guitars:
Guitar L panned 100% left, Guitar R panned 100% right. Amp sim on each channel.
Both tracks output without a cab to a Guitar Master Stereo Bus.
Kefir inserted on Stereo Bus and set to stereo mode by pressing the R button so both L and R are active. You will hear pressing R brings the right channel into play and you'll have both guitars hard panned.
You can even do the same with an amp sim providing it has stereo operation and you want the same tone both sides. Put them both on the master bus and leave your two guitar tracks as completely clean DI's. Just make sure to hard pan them else they will be blending together in the amp or cab.

Hope this helps!
The only drawback to this method is if you don't want them panned 100%. You'd have to find some kind of stereo width plugin to insert after the cab to narrow them back down once they have been individually processed panned 100%.
Crescendo likes this.
Unread 07-23-2012, 05:30 AM   #6
SS.org Irregular

iceythe is just really niceiceythe is just really nice
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I'm gonna ask the obvious question. Did you load the two-channel instance of Kefir? You'll want the one that says keFIR_v1_2ch and not keFIR_v1 if you want to process stereo.

I just tried the mono channel version and symptoms are exactly as you said. Left is being processed with impulse. Right is not.
Crescendo likes this.
iceythe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-23-2012, 05:50 AM   #7
rololoo

Thanks for the elaborate explanation EtherealEntity, it made me realize I haven't even played around with buses much. But when I enabled the right channel on Kefir, the left one stopped working! BUT:

I actually had keFIR_v1.. goddamn. Well, I tried keFIR_v1_2ch and it's working like a charm now.
iceythe likes this.
Unread 07-23-2012, 01:44 PM   #8
Needs more strings

Forgot that point
Good stuff!