homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   photo gallery   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > Music Discussion > Recording Studio
LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter

Recording Studio Discussion on everything recording based, such as mixing, mastering, mics, monitors and other gear.

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By MisterMcCruff
  • 1 Post By GSingleton
  • 1 Post By ShreddingDragon

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 07-11-2012, 06:54 PM   #1
SS.org Regular

BaylorPRSer is on a distinguished road
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Tracking guitars for two sides

i was tracking guitars with record enabled on two tracks each hard-panned left and right. My buddy was telling me that that was incorrect and you had to physically track both sides each. Why is that? It's puzzling to me, because you want both sides to be identical, and the only real way to do that is to enable record on two tracks simultaneously, pan center or copy/paste from left into right or vice versa. any input?
BaylorPRSer is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
Seven String

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 07-11-2012, 07:05 PM   #2
z o m b i e 1 3

Zombie13 has much to be proud ofZombie13 has much to be proud ofZombie13 has much to be proud ofZombie13 has much to be proud ofZombie13 has much to be proud ofZombie13 has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 26 reviews
There is no correct or incorrect way, it all depends on what sounds better to you.

Personally for me, everything sounds much better having 2 guitars (one hard left, one hard right) some parts I still quad though (2 left, 2 right)

Morphesia (Black Metal)
http://morphesia.bandcamp.com/
Squirrelly Arts (Industrial Metal)
http://www.facebook.com/SquirrellyArts
Zombie13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-11-2012, 07:05 PM   #3
ss.org Regular

MisterMcCruff has a spectacular aura about
Forgive me if I'm wrong here, as I'm a novice myself, but recording precisely the same thing L&R hard panned will help to space your mix out but won't make it any thicker. Tracking it twice (accurately) lends itself to a fatter sound.
Purelojik likes this.
MisterMcCruff is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-11-2012, 07:25 PM   #4
SS.org Regular

I'm getting good not great takes at the moment. Good enough to track drums ya know? But when I track the other side separately the differences are subtle but there. Using identical tracks for both sides doesn't have any distinct disadvantages though is what I am gathering, correct?

Thx so much for the replies guys!!! Means a lot.
Unread 07-11-2012, 07:26 PM   #5
SS.org Regular

Clocks is just really niceClocks is just really nice
There has to be some difference in the sound for double tracking to be any use, if you put the same exact part panned l/r it is the same as doing 1 take in the middle.
The only way you could get round this is by using the Haas(sp?) effect, by recording the exact same sound, then moving 1 part 12ms ahead or behind, which would give the double tracking effect.
Its better to track 2 times then pan each one though.
Clocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-11-2012, 07:27 PM   #6
SS.org Regular

mniel8195 will become famous soon enough
if im correct just duplicating your take and panning it to the other side is just going to make it sound louder. the ideal is that you dont want both take to be identical. you want them to be tracked tight but their should be some differences.
mniel8195 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-11-2012, 09:07 PM   #7
Sleep on, Fly on

GSingleton is just really niceGSingleton is just really nice
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Yeah playing it twice and panning gives you a thicker tone. If you do the exact thing on each side it just sounds center.
osmosis2259 likes this.

Music Facebook: www.facebook.com/grsingleton
Soundcloud: http://soundcloud.com/gsingleton

Me:You could djent using a toothpick and aluminum foil.
Michael T: Aluminum + Djent = Alumidjent
Didn't Lace already do this....hmmmm
GSingleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-12-2012, 01:18 AM   #8
SS.org Regular

cool thanks for the info guys.
Unread 07-12-2012, 08:23 AM   #9
Silence the discord

ShreddingDragon is a jewel in the rough
Separate takes for both sides, always. I don't really see the point in recording only one take and putting it on both tracks. If that sounds good to someone, I'm interested By slightly delaying the other one, moving it further by a few milliseconds, it can be made useable in an emergency... But it's not going to be as lively and 3D as by individual tracking per side.
osmosis2259 likes this.

Treacherous, this deceit
to make no choice matter
To have and yet lose yourself
until finally all reasons why
are forgotten.
ShreddingDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-12-2012, 11:33 AM   #10
Fear the Polo!

Drew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnate
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by mniel8195 View Post
if im correct just duplicating your take and panning it to the other side is just going to make it sound louder. the ideal is that you dont want both take to be identical. you want them to be tracked tight but their should be some differences.
You are correct.

The point of multitracking isn't to have the guitar physically in two places at once in the mix, it's to create a sense of stereo spread and depth. For this to work, paradoxically, the two performances CAN'T be identical. You want them as tight as you can get them, but ever-so-slight differences in your attack and timing and the way notes sustain and the physical waveforms as they're captured will make each side sound slightly different, and give you a much bigger, lusher sounding recording.

Psychoacoustically, the best guess I've heard for why our ears like this is that when we're playing in a room and listening, we don't hear a guitar from one point. We hear the guitar coming from the cab, but we also hear it reflected off the floor, the ceiling, the walls, and we hear it coming at us from a number of different points (condensed down to L and R by our ears) Recording multiple tracks recreates this effect surprisingly well, and sounds more "natural" to our ears.

If done right, of course. There's nothing worse than sloppy doubling.

"...and everything under the sun is in tune, but the sun is eclipsed by the moon."

http://www.metalguitarist.org
Drew is offline   Reply With Quote