homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   photo gallery   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > Music Discussion > Recording Studio
LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter

Recording Studio Discussion on everything recording based, such as mixing, mastering, mics, monitors and other gear.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 01-03-2007, 11:37 AM   #1
Nik
Arrogant asshole

Nik will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Challenge for all you PodXT-ers!

I've got a bit of a challenge for you guys.

Here's the deal: While I love my PodXTLive and I've done a lot with it, I have yet to create my dream rhythm sound.

Fortunately, I've been able to achieve excellent rhythm sound with my Line 6 Spider II 112 amp (weird, I know). However, I'm tired of having to go to my old computer and record through the line-in for my rhythm tracks. I have been trying for months to replicate this Spider II tone on my Pod without much success and I could do with a bit of help.

This is the awesome rhythm tone I'm using on my Spider II:

Green Insane Channel (Insane amp model on the Pod):

Gain - 1:00
lows - 1:00
mids - 9:00
highs - noon

It sounds weak on its own, but double track it, and it sounds bad-ass in a mix. It also sounds great in a live situation at a loud volume.

Here's some samples of how it sounds:
------------------------------------------------
You can hear the tone really well about 2:00 into this song:

[MEDIA]http://home.comcast.net/~petsev/Embrace2.mp3[/MEDIA]

The rhythm tone for this sample here:

[MEDIA]http://home.comcast.net/~petsev/CollapseTest.mp3[/MEDIA]

Here's the last and best sample. This one is very good because you can hear how the tone sounds palm-muted, arpeggiated etc. ALL of the distortion sounds used for this song (including the solo at 2:18) are done with the same amp model. The distorted part start at 2:18:

[MEDIA]http://home.comcast.net/~petsev/TheEnd.wma[/MEDIA]
--------------------------------------------
Every time I've tried replicating this tone with my Pod, it comes out too-muddy, etc., and I end up having the cut back the gain all the way back to 10-15% and it still sound bad and not like the Spider II Insane tone. I think Line 6 also used some stompbox effects to enhance the Insane tone for the Spider.

Can someone help me dial this baby into my Pod?

----------------------
Visit my band, 'Emulsifier.' Unless you suck. You don't suck... do you?
http://www.myspace.com/demx
Nik is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
Seven String

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 01-03-2007, 12:15 PM   #2
Fueled by Satan

NewArmyGuitar is just really niceNewArmyGuitar is just really nice
Can't you just save the tone into Line 6 Edit and import it into your POD?
NewArmyGuitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-03-2007, 12:18 PM   #3
Cancer:The Crucifuct

Cancer is pretty damn metal.Cancer is pretty damn metal.Cancer is pretty damn metal.Cancer is pretty damn metal.Cancer is pretty damn metal.Cancer is pretty damn metal.Cancer is pretty damn metal.Cancer is pretty damn metal.
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Can you post a sample of the Pod XT patch you created, so we can contrast and compare?

I'm under the impression that the Spider II Insane model is based off the old Pod 2.0 Insane Model which sounds different (to me anyway) than the XT version of the same model (which sounds slilghtly more scooped asnd little less compressed to me than the 2.0 version).

Also, what do you NOT like about the XT's Insane model, that will help considerably.
Cancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-03-2007, 12:34 PM   #4
Nik
Arrogant asshole

Nik will become famous soon enough
@NewArmyGuitar - The Spider II is a standalone unit--you can't connect it to anything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by psyphre View Post
Can you post a sample of the Pod XT patch you created, so we can contrast and compare?

I'm under the impression that the Spider II Insane model is based off the old Pod 2.0 Insane Model which sounds different (to me anyway) than the XT version of the same model (which sounds slilghtly more scooped asnd little less compressed to me than the 2.0 version).

Also, what do you NOT like about the XT's Insane model, that will help considerably.

I don't have the patches I made for the PodXT saved because I could never get them to sound good. I never got very far, so I got frustrated and deleted them. Right now I'm using Bulb's rhythm tone, which is great for my heavier tunes, but it doesn't really work well for songs like the ones I posted before.

I would just like to emphasize that I want the same rhythm tone, if possible, and not a different-but-still-good rhythm tone, for consistency's sake.

As I mentioned, everytime I used the Insane model, it sounded too muddy, round, and distorted, even when I rolled the gain back to 10-15%. Apparently the PodXT Insane amp model is different from the Spider II, and I'm hopin someone can help me adjust it so it sounds like the Spider II Insame model I'm using in the above mentioned samples.

----------------------
Visit my band, 'Emulsifier.' Unless you suck. You don't suck... do you?
http://www.myspace.com/demx
Nik is offline   Reply With Quote