homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   photo gallery   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > Music Discussion > Recording Studio
LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter

Recording Studio Discussion on everything recording based, such as mixing, mastering, mics, monitors and other gear.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 06-04-2012, 05:45 PM   #1
ss.org Regular

RSN89 is on a distinguished road
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
GOJIRA SOUNDING MIX

So im a big gojira fan, and always try to get there sound down in my own recording

Vultures by RSN89 on SoundCloud - Create, record and share your sounds for free

This is my newest track ive recently worked on, a quick mix,would be cool to hear some thoughts on it!
RSN89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
Seven String

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 06-04-2012, 06:18 PM   #2
Is a Pastafarian

sakeido harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.sakeido harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.sakeido harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.sakeido harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.sakeido harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.sakeido harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.sakeido harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.sakeido harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.sakeido harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.sakeido harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.sakeido harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.sakeido harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.sakeido harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.
Feedback Score: 12 reviews
which album Gojira sound are you going for? From Mars or Way of All Flesh? From Mars has very gritty, gainy guitars.. peavey 5150. Can't remember the cab offhand tho. I found Audix i5 impulses worked best to try and get that character.

Flesh - the guitars are smoother sounding but still totally crushing. They recorded that with an AKG 421 mic about a foot away from the cab. Redwire makes an impulse of exactly that mic in a similar position, so that would help you cheat a bit to get closer to that airy sound.

Your cymbal sound is good, I can hear the Mario in all the bell. They are dominating the mix though. This is the tricky part about mixing Gojira-esque cymbals .. getting the bells and rides to come through without the rest of the cymbals getting overwhelming.

Snare is low in the mix. Gojira especially on the last couple have a lot more pop in the lows for the snare. I like bright tones like you've got but more bass helps them cut in the mix

Kick slap and click are too loud in relation to the rest of the kick, imo. Kick itself is a bit low in the mix and could stand to come out. I could send you a kick sample, if you'd like, that works very well for a Gojira style drum mix.. I can drop it into almost any mix and it only needs a bit of tweaking to be good to go.

The left/right tracks of guitar don't sound 100% in time or maybe the delay from the intro is messing with me. Solid ideas tho, the slow build sounds awesome!

Soundcloud - New clip 9/16/2014
sakeido is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-05-2012, 04:05 AM   #3
ss.org Regular

thats the exact feedback i was looking for mate!!

It was a quick mix, more of gettin the idea down but i do think the guitars lack power, especially the rhythm! and basically will incorporate everything you've said, cheers man!
Unread 06-05-2012, 06:03 PM   #4
ss.org Regular

xplanet2112 is on a distinguished road
I really liked that, I think there's a solid idea for a song there, very nice. I would suggest that Gojira's sound of late has alot more mids in than what you have recorded and maybe you have rolled the highs down a bit too much, just a tad mind. But you're never gonna get anything approaching what is recorded by the pros with pro gear, I think just a bit of tweaking here n there and it will be about as good as it gets using amp and drum simulators on a PC. nice work though
xplanet2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-05-2012, 06:35 PM   #5
Is a Pastafarian

sakeido harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.sakeido harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.sakeido harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.sakeido harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.sakeido harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.sakeido harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.sakeido harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.sakeido harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.sakeido harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.sakeido harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.sakeido harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.sakeido harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.sakeido harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.
Feedback Score: 12 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by xplanet2112 View Post
But you're never gonna get anything approaching what is recorded by the pros with pro gear
I beg to differ

Soundcloud - New clip 9/16/2014
sakeido is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-05-2012, 06:40 PM   #6
SS.org Regular

AstonAston is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I'm sorry, riffs are similar to Gojira's work, but that mix isn't anything like Gojira.
AstonAston is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-05-2012, 07:58 PM   #7
ss.org Regular

xplanet2112 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sakeido View Post
I beg to differ
I admire your enthusiasm friend! But even the most skilled Pod farm and EZ drummer (for example, other brands are available) user is never gonna sound as good as the sound created by experienced engineers in massive live rooms using quality mics to mic up Triple Recitifier/ENGLE etc amps and cabs into quality desks and quality out board equipment. I do certainly think that there are some impressive recordings using the various amp and drum simulations out there and I for one love my software, it is what it is but it is not years and years of experience and 100,000 plus worth of gear and studio time. Just my opinion dude.

My advice to the OP is to just get your recordings sounding as best you can and take it from there, I think your mix sounded like the mix on Terra Incognita but their sound has come on so much over the years it's hard to say what a Gojira mix should sound like, you need more mids and less gain perhaps. Gojira they are an original band and i look forward to their new stuff!
xplanet2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-06-2012, 01:47 PM   #8
ss.org Regular

MAYBE this mix of a different part of the song is nearer to the gojira tone im looking for?

still dont like the snare but hey ho

Vultures Breakdown sneak peak by RSN89 on SoundCloud - Create, record and share your sounds for free
Unread 06-07-2012, 07:43 AM   #9
progressive insanity

IAMLORDVADER is a glorious beacon of lightIAMLORDVADER is a glorious beacon of lightIAMLORDVADER is a glorious beacon of light
Definitely closer to the mars to sirius tones also your drums sound stands well next to Gojiras imo
IAMLORDVADER is offline   Reply With Quote