homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   photo gallery   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > Music Discussion > Recording Studio
LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter

Recording Studio Discussion on everything recording based, such as mixing, mastering, mics, monitors and other gear.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 01-02-2007, 02:43 AM   #1
ss.org Regular

jakeskylyr is a glorious beacon of lightjakeskylyr is a glorious beacon of lightjakeskylyr is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Ok, I could use the feedback on a new tune

So, I recorded a new tune a few weeks ago. It was my first attempt at a couple of things. It's my first real work with programming drums via BFD (and Nuendo). It's also my first real recording done with Guitar Rig 2. (experimenting) It's also me trying to learn the sound from my new KRK V6 monitors. So all in all...very experimental

However, the song idea is pretty solid I think. I recorded it all myself, but it's most likely going to be a band song, as most of my heavier and progressive stuff tends to go that way, leaving the more mellow stuff to become "solo" stuff. This song is definitely heavier AND progressive.

I know it's not the best mix, and not the best example of my tone or anything, but any feedback on any aspect would rock.

So without further ado...

http://jakeskylyr.com/mp3/band/LookAroundYou.mp3

For the record, the devices harmed in the creation are as follows:
Nuendo
BFD v1.5
Ibanez UV777 through Guitar Rig 2
Steinberger XM2 through Guitar Rig 2
My own imagination
jakeskylyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
Seven String

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 01-02-2007, 03:00 AM   #2
Vince is X!!!

Vince has an entire closet full of viking hats.Vince has an entire closet full of viking hats.Vince has an entire closet full of viking hats.Vince has an entire closet full of viking hats.Vince has an entire closet full of viking hats.Vince has an entire closet full of viking hats.Vince has an entire closet full of viking hats.Vince has an entire closet full of viking hats.Vince has an entire closet full of viking hats.Vince has an entire closet full of viking hats.Vince has an entire closet full of viking hats.Vince has an entire closet full of viking hats.Vince has an entire closet full of viking hats.
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
The first thing that pops out to me, is this has more bass in the mix than any other 'Jake' tune to date.

The chord progressions are absolutely excellent. I'm not a fan of the Iron Maiden gallop you employ at certain points, but that's a matter of taste, not talent. This is a well-put together piece Jake.

Probably the best pure piece of music you've put out yet IMO! I absolutely love it. I'm burning a copy for myself to listen to in the car this week

The only noticeable influences I can hear in this are the aforementioned gallop, and the Symphony X-style interlude that starts at 3:26 and carries until the last bit, near the 5:00 mark.

Great dynamics, great progressions, and a lot of space left for lead vocals and/or guitar. I love the direction you're going with this.

Jake's back!
Vince is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-02-2007, 03:55 AM   #3
ss.org Regular

jakeskylyr is a glorious beacon of lightjakeskylyr is a glorious beacon of lightjakeskylyr is a glorious beacon of light
Thanks dude! Funny, you're not the first person to tell me that this is my best recorded piece, so I guess that says a lot. I will say that I was super proud of it, minus the headache of trying to get a decent mix . I'm still learning my monitors, and the first few mixes were bad. This one SEEMS to be ok, mind you I'm not going for pro, just listenable. The first ones really weren't. I guess making a huge upgrade from 20 dollar Harman/Kardon computer speakers to KRK V6s didn't work, as EVERYTHING sounded good on the KRKs. Still working on that...

Hopefully it doesn't have TOO much bass, but you know me, I like a strong bass, being a bassist too. I didn't want to make it overbearing, but I was shooting for more Geddy Lee than John Myung.

Funny, that whole bit was Symphpny X-y to me too, but I liked it so I figured it didn't hurt to wear my influence on my sleeve a little there. There are many worse bands I could do that with . Also you might like to know that when I first wrote that chorus riff about a year ago, my first thought was that it sounded like something we would've done in Obscure.
jakeskylyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-02-2007, 04:12 PM   #4
Vince is X!!!

Vince has an entire closet full of viking hats.Vince has an entire closet full of viking hats.Vince has an entire closet full of viking hats.Vince has an entire closet full of viking hats.Vince has an entire closet full of viking hats.Vince has an entire closet full of viking hats.Vince has an entire closet full of viking hats.Vince has an entire closet full of viking hats.Vince has an entire closet full of viking hats.Vince has an entire closet full of viking hats.Vince has an entire closet full of viking hats.Vince has an entire closet full of viking hats.Vince has an entire closet full of viking hats.
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
bump. Listen people, it's excellent
Vince is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-02-2007, 05:22 PM   #5
ss.org Regular

smueske is a jewel in the rough
Sounds cool! I think the bass is about 3 db too loud (or so) and you could carefully tweak some of the frequencies between 3 and 7hz with a good filter. I always get bass-heavy in my mixes, too -- it's easy to do.
smueske is offline   Reply With Quote