homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   photo gallery   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > Music Discussion > Recording Studio
LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter

Recording Studio Discussion on everything recording based, such as mixing, mastering, mics, monitors and other gear.

Like Tree23Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 06-01-2012, 08:00 PM   #1
Scourge

sojorel is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
How do YOU make playthroughs/covers?

Talk about the best way to make a playthrough or a cover!

What programs do you use to record/ isolate tracks?
How many takes do you do?
What phase of the moon is best?
sojorel is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
Seven String

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 06-01-2012, 08:03 PM   #2
Banned

Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Record guitars separately then make a video playing it and dub over that. If I'm just doing a cover I use the mic's camera and go at it, most trve way so people can see your ....ups.
brutalwizard and bonuzround like this.
Stealthdjentstic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-01-2012, 08:07 PM   #3
Ermahgerd!

rgaRyan is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I record the guitars over the original track and depending on the difficulty of the song, it make take quite a few takes and re-doing of certain parts.

Then I record the video and overdub it and sync it up. Playing the song on video can require a few takes as well, because though the audio part is perfect, I could mess up a note or two and have to retake the shot.

I record with Reaper, awesome free program. And full moon's are always best :p

http://www.sevenstring.org/forum/signaturepics/sigpic39505_3.gif
My YouTube Channel:
https://www.youtube.com/user/RyanEnvy

Bands covered include Textures, Scale the Summit, KSE,
Red Seas Fire, August Burns Red, The Contortionist, As I Lay Dying, etc.
rgaRyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-01-2012, 08:09 PM   #4
Banned

Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.
Reaper isn't free.
Purelojik, Razzy, niffnoff and 1 others like this.
Unread 06-01-2012, 08:11 PM   #5
Ermahgerd!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealthdjentstic View Post
Reaper isn't free.
Sure it is. Download it, and then it says it will expire in x number of days, but it never does. Just keep clicking "still evaluating".

I have a legal copy too, downloaded straight from the Cockos website, not a torrent or anything.

My YouTube Channel:

Unread 06-01-2012, 08:22 PM   #6
Banned

Yes but you're supposed to pay for it. Its called trialware.
Razzy, niffnoff and Their Savior like this.
Unread 06-01-2012, 10:15 PM   #7
Ermahgerd!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealthdjentstic View Post
Yes but you're supposed to pay for it. Its called trialware.
Why pay for it when they give you an unlimited trial and all the features are fully enabled? lol

My YouTube Channel:

Unread 06-01-2012, 10:48 PM   #8
Control The Sun

The Uncreator is just really niceThe Uncreator is just really nice
To support a company that has the decency to provide such a high quality product for no initial charge. Its a respect thing, should check it out.

On topic, I rarely do them. But when I do I like to do a complete cover, record the entire song my way.

L A S C A I L L E 'S S H R O U D

Progressive Cosmic Death Metal

YouTube

Facebook
The Uncreator is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-02-2012, 01:09 AM   #9
Got a 7

Randyrhoads123 is a jewel in the rough
^^ Seriously? Did you guys buy WinZip as well? I bought a copy of Reaper, but if someone is just casually using it to record cover songs I see no reason to pay when they let you try for as long as you want.
rgaRyan likes this.
Randyrhoads123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-02-2012, 01:26 AM   #10
Scourge

sojorel is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Uhh..freeware vs. trialware vs. whatever isn't the topic...

toiletstand likes this.
sojorel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-02-2012, 06:39 AM   #11
SS.org Regular

Santuzzo has much to be proud ofSantuzzo has much to be proud ofSantuzzo has much to be proud ofSantuzzo has much to be proud ofSantuzzo has much to be proud ofSantuzzo has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgaRyan View Post
Why pay for it when they give you an unlimited trial and all the features are fully enabled? lol
Let me ask you this: How do you like going to work and not getting paid for it?
Rain likes this.

my website - free licks - some of my music

I offer online guitar lessons on Skype in different styles. Send me a PM if interested.

Santuzzo is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-02-2012, 07:18 AM   #12
mgh
Betwixt and Between

mgh is a jewel in the rough
yeah i play the whole thing too; otherwise it's a bit guitar karaoke isn't it? process: learn the thing, record scratch guitar parts to map out the timing/tempo changes etc.
then programme the drum part, then add in the instruments...
never done a video. don't think the world is ready for my face yet, lol...
mgh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-02-2012, 07:31 AM   #13
Needs more strings

EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
When I did On Impulse I did it as an entire studio recording from scratch, no original track. I then filmed myself playing along to that and muted the video.

If I was just doing a quick cover, I'd do a live take over the song with my guitar recorded direct (I only use plugins). Webcam audio if I was using an amp.

A layered cover with multiple guitars (splitscreen or not) I'd record in takes over the song, edited if necessary, mixed to an extent. Video overdubbed and muted.

Could say the middle option is the only 'legit' method...but I don't really mind. I guess I'd treat them more like 'music videos' a lot of the time.
sojorel likes this.
EtherealEntity is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-02-2012, 11:01 PM   #14
Ermahgerd!

I like how I post about using Reaper for free and within a few hours after posting (and not posting anything else) my rep goes down to -9.

Wow.
Rain likes this.

My YouTube Channel:

Unread 06-02-2012, 11:09 PM   #15
The Sunwalker

Rain is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I record the video with a camera and the audio through my Shure SM57 straight into Pro Tools with the drums in the background. After I get the guitars, I do the same with the bass except DI and use Line 6 POD Farm for bass amps.

Then I mix, master, and bounce to disk. Once I got an audio file of the performance, I take all the separate video clips and import them to Adobe Premiere Pro where I lay them out on the screen and sync them up.

Finally, I import the audio, sync it up, make any necessary cuts and add transitions, if needed, and then create a video file. It's sort of a long process but turns out pretty cool
sojorel likes this.

Unread 06-02-2012, 11:30 PM   #16
Ermahgerd!

It's worth the time and effort. I use Vegas Pro which is really efficient at video editing. Tomorrow I'm probably going to record 2-3 different angles to make my latest cover a bit more interesting.

My YouTube Channel:

Unread 06-03-2012, 02:48 PM   #17
SS.org Regular

Ryan-ZenGtr- is a glorious beacon of lightRyan-ZenGtr- is a glorious beacon of lightRyan-ZenGtr- is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
RgaRyan said...
I like how I post about using Reaper for free and within a few hours after posting (and not posting anything else) my rep goes down to -9.

Wow.
No one likes a bragging cheapskate who exploits the generosity of others.

If you hadn't bragged about software theft no one here would have known or cared. I hope that explanation clears up any confusion.

@EtherealEntity
Nice post. I agree that there seems little point in random guitar karaoke. There's enough random content on YouTube as it is. Full studio recreations of favourite tracks I understand, as some tracks aren't well recorded in the first place and it's a great way to practice recording techniques with music you enjoy.
Ryan-ZenGtr- is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-03-2012, 02:57 PM   #18
Scooped-mids-noob

bonuzround is a jewel in the rough
Crescent Moon!

www.youtube.com/bonuzround

GAS : Too lazy to write, now.
bonuzround is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-03-2012, 03:09 PM   #19
Pretty Your Petunia

brutalwizard is shredding to new heights.brutalwizard is shredding to new heights.brutalwizard is shredding to new heights.brutalwizard is shredding to new heights.brutalwizard is shredding to new heights.brutalwizard is shredding to new heights.brutalwizard is shredding to new heights.
I have always done it live with an amp and the song playing at the same time since 09, all video camera audio.

Check out my band

Facebook.come/forsythiaofficial

My youtube
youtube.com/therealgtarbeast666

I don't think that we ever thought of it as the equivalent of music, as the end-goal was to buy more in-game slut clothes-- schecterwhore on rock band

Im a super chill mellow ambient slut. --7 STRINGS OF HATE
brutalwizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-03-2012, 04:23 PM   #20
Ermahgerd!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan-ZenGtr- View Post
No one likes a bragging cheapskate who exploits the generosity of others.

If you hadn't bragged about software theft no one here would have known or cared. I hope that explanation clears up any confusion.

@EtherealEntity
Nice post. I agree that there seems little point in random guitar karaoke. There's enough random content on YouTube as it is. Full studio recreations of favourite tracks I understand, as some tracks aren't well recorded in the first place and it's a great way to practice recording techniques with music you enjoy.
Bro, how is it theft? Please explain.

I don't use the program enough to justify buying it. People accuse me without understand my intentions at all. I was hardly bragging.

And for some reason, you guys on here now accuse me of stealing music and torrenting it. Proof? I buy 90% of my music. God, some people...

My YouTube Channel:

Unread 06-03-2012, 11:49 PM   #21
SS.org Regular

Ryan-ZenGtr- is a glorious beacon of lightRyan-ZenGtr- is a glorious beacon of lightRyan-ZenGtr- is a glorious beacon of light
I was just pointing out why OTHERS had neg rep'd you, I haven't done so. No need to defend yourself, take it as a personal attack or otherwise. I don't care what you do, it's none of my business.

I'm not calling you names, just explaining the impression you gave so you can see why the neg reps came in from so many others who recognised Cockos efforts. "Wow".

You've said you have been exploiting the trial ware. Continuing to use the product after the trial period has expired will be described in the user agreement you committed to when you installed the software. It's on your PC to be looked at when you like.

It's nothing to boast about or attract more attention to by trying to induce an argument and sending out revenge reps to random people.

*Everyone; Sign your Reps!!! Especially negs. *

I think what your doing with youtube is pretty cool and I wish you all the best. From a quick scan of your videos you clearly have good knowledge to share on the original topic, so let's get back to it. You'll balance out that negativity in no time.
Ryan-ZenGtr- is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-05-2012, 11:43 PM   #22
Ermahgerd!

Alright, I respect you're reply. I still don't see how I was boasting, I was just explaining that the program is "free" if you want it to be. It is entirely up to you whether you pay for programs, music, etc. Like I said earlier, I don't use the program enough to justify purchasing it. That's all.

My YouTube Channel:

Unread 06-06-2012, 12:08 AM   #23
SS.org Regular

wrongnote85 is a jewel in the rough
lol, i don't do any thing fancy AT ALL. wish i could though. i set my speakers on the left, my amp on the right, and my phone in the middle. then i play along with a tune for about 5 secs and do that a few times till the volume sounds reasonable on both sides.

then it comes out like this:

again, i wish i had the resources to do it the way you cats do it, cause that would be a lot cooler.

The Official Traverser ReverbNation
http://www.reverbnation.com/traverserofficial

The Official Traverser Facebook
http://www.facebook.com/Traverserofficial
wrongnote85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-06-2012, 12:28 AM   #24
Army Without A Flag

All_Ľour_Bass is shredding to new heights.All_Ľour_Bass is shredding to new heights.All_Ľour_Bass is shredding to new heights.All_Ľour_Bass is shredding to new heights.All_Ľour_Bass is shredding to new heights.All_Ľour_Bass is shredding to new heights.All_Ľour_Bass is shredding to new heights.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrongnote85 View Post
lol, i don't do any thing fancy AT ALL. wish i could though. i set my speakers on the left, my amp on the right, and my phone in the middle. then i play along with a tune for about 5 secs and do that a few times till the volume sounds reasonable on both sides.

then it comes out like this:

[vid]

again, i wish i had the resources to do it the way you cats do it, cause that would be a lot cooler.
That turned out a lot better than I thought it would.
wrongnote85 likes this.

No Nation. No Philosophy. No Ideology.
All_Ľour_Bass is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-06-2012, 12:53 AM   #25
SS.org Regular

wrongnote85 is a jewel in the rough
lol, thanks man. it's a bit of a trial and error undertaking at first, but i've done it quite a few times so it's easier now.

The Official Traverser ReverbNation
http://www.reverbnation.com/traverserofficial

The Official Traverser Facebook
http://www.facebook.com/Traverserofficial
wrongnote85 is offline   Reply With Quote