homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   photo gallery   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > Music Discussion > Recording Studio
LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter

Recording Studio Discussion on everything recording based, such as mixing, mastering, mics, monitors and other gear.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 05-31-2012, 07:16 PM   #1
ss.org Regular

Mauled will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Pleasehelp me improve my tone (Veil of maya content)

Hi, i'm fairly new to mixing. I recorded a short sample cover of the breakdown on the song Punisher by Veil Of Maya.

Here is the clip: Punisher Test by TripleXFTW on SoundCloud - Create, record and share your sounds for free

Here is the exact clip again, but with the drums soloed (with the same mixing): Punisher Drums by TripleXFTW on SoundCloud - Create, record and share your sounds for free

I like the sound of the drums, i found a setup somewhere and tweaked it and added parallel compression, and other things. What do you think of them?

I'm not trying to clone VoM's sound at all, what I'm trying to do is use this for basis to craft my own sound. I'm looking for a more in your face type of sound, a sound that covers the whole spectrum well, but im not sure how to get it.

Can you guys give me tips on where to go next to improve this mix? EQ tips, compression, etc?
Mauled is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
Seven String

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 05-31-2012, 09:13 PM   #2
Sojourner

Splinterhead is a glorious beacon of lightSplinterhead is a glorious beacon of lightSplinterhead is a glorious beacon of light
The mix sounds pretty tight as is. I'd add some more instrumentation to it and see how things change up. I don't hear a bass guitar right now. That's a biggie right there. The way the bass guitar sits against the bass drum will be something to work out. Also vocals and additional guitar (melody line, solo) will add another dimension to the mix as well. Creating a sense of space through panning and reverb is fun to work on. I'd like to hear more.
Splinterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-31-2012, 10:30 PM   #3
ss.org Regular

Thanks, there's a bass in there but i have it high passed lol. I'm still trying to figure out how to make the mix sound massive, any help is appreciated.
Unread 06-01-2012, 01:14 AM   #4
SS.org Regular

asilayamazing is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
guitars too loud IMO i catch myself doing it all the time cus i play, but listen to your favorite song then your mix chances are, your fav has more balance, i found it hard to hear the drums, i mean i had to concentrate to hear them over the guitar, RATHER then hearing it together if it makes sense. nice playing though

EDIT: guitars ARE massive everything else seemed small, may be my speakers but drums still low IMO

smooth transactions with: djpharoah, bob123, Sevenstringer, Jolo5150, kfiggy

If you're gonna "Thank me" then Thank (post) me, or give rep

"With the amount of flak I've been receiving lately, i may just keep this post to myself!"
asilayamazing is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-01-2012, 05:09 AM   #5
Electrifying

Rook is pretty much the man.Rook is pretty much the man.Rook is pretty much the man.Rook is pretty much the man.Rook is pretty much the man.Rook is pretty much the man.Rook is pretty much the man.Rook is pretty much the man.Rook is pretty much the man.Rook is pretty much the man.
Feedback Score: 25 reviews
It's lacking depth:

I can hear there's a bass in there but why would you high pass the bass? It's there to be bassy I'd recommend double tracking the bass (I do two tracks simultaneously so it doesn't give a double tracked feel) if you want to have a slightly distorted one, then distort one and high pass it and make the other, clean track just pure low end.

That's what I did here (really old clip haha):

escapee - Gr Arg - Without Guitars by Praxis111 on SoundCloud - Create, record and share your sounds for free

So in a mix it sounds like this:

escapee - Gr Arg - Verse Riff by Praxis111 on SoundCloud - Create, record and share your sounds for free

The guitar tone is fine, doesn't feel particularly big though. That'll be the mix, not the guitar sound itself.

Drums are very flat, have you got some parallel compression over the whole kit?

Have you applied any kind of master EQ or Limiting?

Got questions about anything I've said, done or do? How about pickups, tech, music production or just anything! Check here and ask away!

My project on Facebook: Rook

Click banner below to download my first E.P. for free or pay what you want:
Rook is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-01-2012, 05:43 AM   #6
ss.org Regular

Hi, i'll try double tracking the bass, do you pan one left and one right or keep both center?

Yeah that;s exactly what i mean though, the whole thing sounds kind of lifeless. I put minor parallel compression over the drums, no mastering or eqing was done on this clip.

Heres another clip to show what I have done since I uploaded this:

Punisher by TripleXFTW on SoundCloud - Create, record and share your sounds for free
Unread 06-01-2012, 05:56 AM   #7
Electrifying

Rook is pretty much the man.Rook is pretty much the man.Rook is pretty much the man.Rook is pretty much the man.Rook is pretty much the man.Rook is pretty much the man.Rook is pretty much the man.Rook is pretty much the man.Rook is pretty much the man.Rook is pretty much the man.
Feedback Score: 25 reviews
Keep them both centre. You should have 2 guitar tracks panned far left and far right too but it sounds like you have.

I think the reason it sounds lifeless is to do with the lacking low end and the fact that the snare just sounds like someone dropping a drumstick on a snare drum it just goes

.......pop......

There's no body or sustain to it. It sounds like it needs more velocity to it too. Start by lowering it in the mix a bit.

Definitelty consider putting an Adaptive Limiter or something over it, and put an EQ over the lot and look at the analyser!

Got questions about anything I've said, done or do? How about pickups, tech, music production or just anything! Check here and ask away!

My project on Facebook: Rook

Click banner below to download my first E.P. for free or pay what you want:
Rook is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-01-2012, 12:31 PM   #8
ss.org Regular

When looking at an analyzer, what should the spectrum look like?
Unread 06-01-2012, 05:29 PM   #9
SS.org Regular

jsaudio is a jewel in the rough
i wouldnt suggest "double tracking" the bass unless you are a bass god and can track super effing tight and/or wanna spend like 20hours editing a bass track just track bass once then create a new track and copy and paste your bass track there as well. now you have 2 bass tracks. on the 2nd cut out everything below 500hz and give it some distortion this will create a high end in your bass that only 1 track does not accomplish.
jsaudio is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-01-2012, 05:30 PM   #10
SS.org Regular

jsaudio is a jewel in the rough
sorry "Fun" just realized we said basically the same thing lol, i should read
jsaudio is offline   Reply With Quote