homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   photo gallery   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > Music Discussion > Recording Studio
LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter

Recording Studio Discussion on everything recording based, such as mixing, mastering, mics, monitors and other gear.

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By KingAenarion
  • 1 Post By Andii

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 05-29-2012, 03:50 AM   #1
ss.org Regular

JohnLA is on a distinguished road
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recording Mic Preamp.

Ok guys. I'm buying Mic Preamp with USB connector.
I can't decide between: Line 6 UX2,EMU Tracker Pre 2.0 and Mbox2 Digidesign. Some videos from net:

Line 6

EMU

Mbox

Which one should I buy?
JohnLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
Seven String

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 05-29-2012, 06:16 AM   #2
Resident Studio Nerd

KingAenarion is a glorious beacon of lightKingAenarion is a glorious beacon of lightKingAenarion is a glorious beacon of light
The Mbox 2 is pretty meh... The 3 is much better imo

Out of those I'd probably go the Line 6 for now.

My band - Ex Curia - Prog metal in an Opeth meets Machine Head kind of way
KingAenarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-29-2012, 09:29 AM   #3
Captain tying knots

Andii is a glorious beacon of lightAndii is a glorious beacon of lightAndii is a glorious beacon of light
The Presonus Audiobox 22VSL is a really good interface in that price range.

The preamps are really transparent and it sounds a lot smoother overall than a lot of similar priced products. I had another inexpensive interface(Tascam us1641) with more channels and I "upgraded" to the 22vsl and was not disappointed with the huge jump in sound quality.

PreSonus
Andii is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-29-2012, 11:15 AM   #4
ss.org Regular

http://www.bamguitar.si/en/studio-eq...blackjack.html

I just bought this one. Great preamp. Tnx.
Unread 05-29-2012, 11:22 AM   #5
Baritone Funbags

EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Nice Just being picky here but these are called interfaces, preamps are a component of them and there would have been misunderstandings had you not clarified what you meant in your first post You aren't even actually using the mic preamps unless you are using a microphone haha
EtherealEntity is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-29-2012, 12:15 PM   #6
Resident Studio Nerd

KingAenarion is a glorious beacon of lightKingAenarion is a glorious beacon of lightKingAenarion is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andii View Post
The Presonus Audiobox 22VSL is a really good interface in that price range.

The preamps are really transparent and it sounds a lot smoother overall than a lot of similar priced products. I had another inexpensive interface(Tascam us1641) with more channels and I "upgraded" to the 22vsl and was not disappointed with the huge jump in sound quality.

PreSonus
Except the drivers for the Presonus' tend to be quite buggy.

They're also a little noisy on quieter sources because you tend to have to crank the gain quite a bit.
Purelojik likes this.

Unread 05-29-2012, 12:59 PM   #7
Baritone Funbags

EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.
^ My Presonus does the job but +1 on the bad driver reputation. Mine doesn't really cause me many issues but I certainly wouldn't use it live or to track bands professionally. Crashes too much.
EtherealEntity is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-31-2012, 02:14 AM   #8
ss.org Regular

http://i45.tinypic.com/280npt5.jpg

IT'S HERE!!!
Unread 05-31-2012, 04:53 AM   #9
Resident Studio Nerd

That's actually quite a good choice. The Onyx Pre's are really nice.

Unread 05-31-2012, 06:49 PM   #10
Captain tying knots

Andii is a glorious beacon of lightAndii is a glorious beacon of lightAndii is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingAenarion View Post
Except the drivers for the Presonus' tend to be quite buggy.

They're also a little noisy on quieter sources because you tend to have to crank the gain quite a bit.
I haven't had either of those issues. My Tascam used to crash my computer and cause a restart. That hasn't happened to me a single time since I switched. Flawless performance here. Windows XP 32 bit.

Mileages vary on different systems.
Unread 06-01-2012, 10:52 AM   #11
Resident Studio Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andii View Post
I haven't had either of those issues. My Tascam used to crash my computer and cause a restart. That hasn't happened to me a single time since I switched. Flawless performance here. Windows XP 32 bit.

Mileages vary on different systems.
Yea the Presonus' performance is fine on XP... but you have to remember that XP is more than 10 years old now. The drivers for Windows 7 and even Vista just aren't acceptable in comparison. While the majority of computers using Windows still use XP, I would hesitate to guess that the majority of people wanting to do Audio Production on Windows are going to want to be taking advantage of newer computers and better utilisation of computer resources, which XP just doesn't do. There is no excuse.

Unread 06-01-2012, 02:54 PM   #12
Captain tying knots

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingAenarion View Post
Yea the Presonus' performance is fine on XP... but you have to remember that XP is more than 10 years old now. The drivers for Windows 7 and even Vista just aren't acceptable in comparison. While the majority of computers using Windows still use XP, I would hesitate to guess that the majority of people wanting to do Audio Production on Windows are going to want to be taking advantage of newer computers and better utilisation of computer resources, which XP just doesn't do. There is no excuse.
Yeah if there are issues with the other platforms that's not good. But I haven't heard it mention elsewhere and everyone's reviews are overwhelmingly positive.

But it's interesting you mentioned better utilization of resources in the windows versions after XP. I actually chose winxp on the recording system I built specifically because win7 (and of course vista..yuck) waste a lot memory and CPU. They are really bloated. But all that is off topic.
Wookieslayer likes this.
Unread 06-02-2012, 04:56 AM   #13
OOOAAARWWWRR

Wookieslayer is a glorious beacon of lightWookieslayer is a glorious beacon of lightWookieslayer is a glorious beacon of light
If you're not opposed to Firewire rather than USB, I highly recommend the TC Electronics Konnekt series. Sounds clean and clear. I use the Konnekt 8 but since it's discontinued now, you can try to find one used or look for the Konnekt 6, which is almost the same with less inputs and no MIDI, but it has onboard reverb and sick knobs and blinky lights!

Check GC's used site, they have a few for under $100 right now :wink:

Edit: wow I didn't read the thread, grats on the Mackie instead!

Randall V2 / Titan + RS412XLT100
Tech 21 Midi Mouse, Alesis Midiverb III
Schecter Omen, OLP MM5 bass

http://www.soundcloud.com/wookieslayer
My Youtube channel - Gear demos and stuff
Wookieslayer is offline   Reply With Quote