homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   photo gallery   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > Music Discussion > Recording Studio
LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter

Recording Studio Discussion on everything recording based, such as mixing, mastering, mics, monitors and other gear.

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Ben.Last

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 05-27-2012, 02:38 PM   #1
Scotty G!

Aerospace274 is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Help me sound better!

My new song.
I'm recording direct from my amp (Line6 Spider3 75w lulz) with my customized Schecter baritone.
How's it sound? Any advice to get a better tone out of my amp or anything I could do to make it sound better? It's double tracked with one take each if that's useful to know!

-I'm an 8 string guitarist, not an 8th string guitarist.

-Music is an expression of emotion, not a challenge of who can play faster or who can tune lower.
Aerospace274 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
Seven String

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 05-27-2012, 02:50 PM   #2
Banned

Diggy is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
I've been messing with my Spider III lately.. recording direct with the Meshuggah setting, but tweaking down the treb and gain a bit. While its no killer sound, pretty decent for single note stuff in low tunings.. playing chords is another story all together.

That being said, while I listend to your track, I thought to myself "less gain. less highs".
Diggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-27-2012, 02:56 PM   #3
Scotty G!

Thanks! I think that might just be error on my part. My gain is at 6 and my highs are at 7 but I did not remove any of the normal hiss that comes along with recording using shitty cables haha! I'll run some noise removal and see, otherwise I'll tweak my tone a bit!

-Music is an expression of emotion, not a challenge of who can play faster or who can tune lower.
Unread 05-29-2012, 09:47 PM   #4
Scotty G!

So, I did tweak my tone a little bit. Less gain, less highs, less channel volume. Let me know what you think!
Letsplayfast
Edit: Also filtered some noise out and threw in some midi bass and drums!

Unread 05-29-2012, 10:20 PM   #5
SS.org Regular

jsaudio is a jewel in the rough
well your first step would be to completely get rid of your line 6 spider and then make sure you clean your house after you have gotten rid of it to make sure no "spider grossness" is left behind lol

No but seriously i personally think it making getting a good tone more difficult because they suck lol awesome practice amps but should never enter a into any type of recording IMO

but overall i think mixwise you just need to work on better guitar/drum tones make sure you EQ out all that low end that is muddying everything up. Hope this helps a bit sorry if i sound condescending no intention of it lol
jsaudio is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-30-2012, 05:07 PM   #6
Banned

Diggy is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
This one sounds better.. but as jsaudio said above, dont expect too much from the Spider. Its good to mess around with and silently record ideas.. like i do, since I dont have a bazillion dollars rite now an Axe FX.. but "THE TONE" is just not in Spiders.
Diggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-30-2012, 07:54 PM   #7
Scotty G!

Letsplayfaster
There, dropped the bass down from 6 to 4. I think it actually did help a lot!

Oh, after listening to it, the guitars are a lot quieter this time!

Unread 05-30-2012, 08:29 PM   #8
Formerly Lern2Swim

Ben.Last is a glorious beacon of lightBen.Last is a glorious beacon of lightBen.Last is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Yeah, I like the previous one more. It, honestly, doesn't sound too bad, considering the amp. Everyone is obviously telling you to get rid of the Spider, which would be a good time, eventually, but that's not always an option. So, in the meantime, let's focus on getting what you have available to you sounding as good as possible.

I think part of the issue with the 2nd (and 3rd) mix is actually the bass. It seems like it's just taking up a bit too much room and making things a bit boomy. I'd try to tighten that up a bit and cut some of the excess frequencies out of it and then maybe add a bit more presence back into the guitar.

Alternately, could you play through an amp sim instead of the Spider? There's plenty of free options available.
Ben.Last is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-30-2012, 09:13 PM   #9
Scotty G!

Do you mean the bass guitar or the bass in my tone? Cause the bass instrument is just midi lol. I'm playing a really long scale baritone (30" in B) so I'm sure I could cut most of my bass freq out of my tone if that's a problem!

Unread 05-30-2012, 09:15 PM   #10
Formerly Lern2Swim

Ben.Last is a glorious beacon of lightBen.Last is a glorious beacon of lightBen.Last is a glorious beacon of light
I meant the actual midi bass. It sounds boomy. Not so much that there's no initial attack, but enough that it's a constant din of bass note. If you could post that exact mix, with the midi bass removed, I could tell you for sure if that's what I'm hearing.
Unread 05-30-2012, 09:18 PM   #11
Scotty G!

I could record a new one with the same tone and no bass? Just the drums going with it, if that'd be cool!
ala this

Unread 05-30-2012, 10:45 PM   #12
Formerly Lern2Swim

Yep. That definitely makes it apparent to me that the bass is a big part of MY issues with the mix. I'd go in and take a look at the kick drum too, because you can hear that it was adding to the boom too. Then work on the guitar eq a bit from there (It sounds like it needs a bit more presence to me, but it'll be hard to tell until you address the kick drum a bit). THEN add the midi bass back in, keeping it's eq a bit more selective. Then, from there, you should only have some slight tinkering to balance things out.

I think, if you go through things in that order, you'll end up with a much more defined mix, even sticking with the Spider.
Aerospace274 likes this.
Unread 05-31-2012, 05:05 PM   #13
Formerly Lern2Swim

Make sure you post the results if you try that. I'm curious to hear how it comes out.
Unread 06-11-2012, 04:59 PM   #14
Formerly Lern2Swim

So?
Unread 06-12-2012, 12:54 AM   #15
Ashes Of Rebirth

iRaiseTheDead is a glorious beacon of lightiRaiseTheDead is a glorious beacon of lightiRaiseTheDead is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Getting better man I'm really liking the tone
iRaiseTheDead is offline   Reply With Quote