homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   photo gallery   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > Music Discussion > Recording Studio
LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter

Recording Studio Discussion on everything recording based, such as mixing, mastering, mics, monitors and other gear.

Like Tree10Likes
  • 1 Post By metal_sam14
  • 1 Post By sggod89
  • 1 Post By metal_sam14
  • 1 Post By Ryan-ZenGtr-
  • 1 Post By EtherealEntity
  • 2 Post By FireInside
  • 1 Post By Ryan-ZenGtr-
  • 1 Post By Monsterhulk
  • 1 Post By Daemoniac

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 05-09-2012, 08:42 PM   #1
SSBRO.org regular

CYBERSYN is a splendid one to beholdCYBERSYN is a splendid one to beholdCYBERSYN is a splendid one to beholdCYBERSYN is a splendid one to beholdCYBERSYN is a splendid one to behold
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Absynth or Reason?

Im looking for a soft synth to use at home.

Basically I want something that relatively easy to use with a midi controller or just midi map in Cubase Elements 6.

Im looking at doing stuff like Sybreed or Black comedy:

Skip to 3:00

Make a rule where, who ever messes up gets punched in the face.

That is how I run my solo project. - Floppystrings

O GREAT now your gonna tell me theres no Great Shred Doughnut,who delivers strings and picks to all the good shredders on yngwies birthday... - mr_rainmaker

Search this site by going to Google and adding site:sevenstring.org after your search word!
CYBERSYN is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
Seven String

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 05-09-2012, 09:30 PM   #2
Tard

metal_sam14 is a name known to allmetal_sam14 is a name known to allmetal_sam14 is a name known to allmetal_sam14 is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I can recommend absynth, it has some amazing sounds.

However, I would also recommend saving up the extra $$ and going with omnisphere, as it will have anything you will ever need and more
CYBERSYN likes this.

My band "Actuality":
https://www.facebook.com/ActualityBand
Australian Prog!
metal_sam14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-09-2012, 10:20 PM   #3
yeah I take steriods

sggod89 is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I have Reason, and I like Omnisphere a lot more.
CYBERSYN likes this.
sggod89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-09-2012, 10:25 PM   #4
Tard

metal_sam14 is a name known to allmetal_sam14 is a name known to allmetal_sam14 is a name known to allmetal_sam14 is a name known to all
These guys are Australian and they are great to deal with. They have omnisphere really cheap: Sound Devices - Spectrasonics - Omnisphere - Spectrasonics
CYBERSYN likes this.

My band "Actuality":
Australian Prog!
Unread 05-09-2012, 11:15 PM   #5
SS.org Regular

Ryan-ZenGtr- is a glorious beacon of lightRyan-ZenGtr- is a glorious beacon of lightRyan-ZenGtr- is a glorious beacon of light
See if you can track down Z3t+ v1, which was free. Really great synth with a lot of Nord lead sounds and more. V2 is available now for $99. But the free one is really good, though you may have to check KVR audio's database for it (lot's of free synths and recommendations there).

Massive Softsynth collection, marketplace and forum
KVR: Virtual Instruments, Virtual Effects, VST Plugins, Audio Units (AU), AAX & RTAS Audio Plugin News, Reviews and Community - plus iOS (iPhone and iPad) and Android Audio App News Too

Of course, Omnisphere is the best thing out there (IMO) but it can be a maze to navigate as there are so many presets it's hard to find a starting point, even with it's great search functions. Too much can be a good thing!
CYBERSYN likes this.
Ryan-ZenGtr- is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-09-2012, 11:19 PM   #6
Needs more strings

EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Z3ta is great. Massive is great.

Absynth is great moreso for ambient pads but it WILL do anything.

These are all programmable. Omnisphere is sample based.
CYBERSYN likes this.
EtherealEntity is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-09-2012, 11:44 PM   #7
SSBRO.org regular

CYBERSYN is a splendid one to beholdCYBERSYN is a splendid one to beholdCYBERSYN is a splendid one to beholdCYBERSYN is a splendid one to beholdCYBERSYN is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by metal_sam14 View Post
I can recommend absynth, it has some amazing sounds.

However, I would also recommend saving up the extra $$ and going with omnisphere, as it will have anything you will ever need and more
Cheers mate!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sggod89 View Post
I have Reason, and I like Omnisphere a lot more.
Checking out yt vids now, seems really cool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan-ZenGtr- View Post
See if you can track down Z3t+ v1, which was free. Really great synth with a lot of Nord lead sounds and more. V2 is available now for $99. But the free one is really good, though you may have to check KVR audio's database for it (lot's of free synths and recommendations there).

Massive Softsynth collection, marketplace and forum
KVR: Virtual Instruments, Virtual Effects, VST Plugins, Audio Units (AU), AAX & RTAS Audio Plugin News, Reviews and Community - plus iOS (iPhone and iPad) and Android Audio App News Too

Of course, Omnisphere is the best thing out there (IMO) but it can be a maze to navigate as there are so many presets it's hard to find a starting point, even with it's great search functions. Too much can be a good thing!
I have been searching KVR for a while now, lots of cool shit there. I was chasing one program that did the lot. Pads, leads & percussion and in depth but not confusing

Quote:
Originally Posted by EtherealEntity View Post
Z3ta is great. Massive is great.

Absynth is great moreso for ambient pads but it WILL do anything.

These are all programmable. Omnisphere is sample based.
I am rather familiar with Absynth and I love NI products, simple to use.

Omnisphere has got me very interested, I will look into it more and drop the reason idea. Reason seems kinda confusing with all the connecting and routing.

Would sample based stuff be easier to start off with?

Thank you guys for everything! + Reps all round!

Make a rule where, who ever messes up gets punched in the face.

That is how I run my solo project. - Floppystrings

O GREAT now your gonna tell me theres no Great Shred Doughnut,who delivers strings and picks to all the good shredders on yngwies birthday... - mr_rainmaker

Search this site by going to Google and adding site:sevenstring.org after your search word!
CYBERSYN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-09-2012, 11:47 PM   #8
Tard

Omnisphere (for me) works like this:
I want a sound, I search for it, then you filter through patches till you find something you like. All the patches are divided into menus based on how they sound (ie, dreamy, drone etc), it's really easy to get your head around.

My band "Actuality":
Australian Prog!
Unread 05-09-2012, 11:55 PM   #9
Needs more strings

EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
I don't think sample based stuff is better or worse. You're familiar with Absynth - you know you can load up cool presets and change or create your own from scratch.
That's the only thing I don't like about programs like Omnisphere - not being able to make things from scratch. But it comes with great presets just the same
EtherealEntity is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-10-2012, 12:16 AM   #10
THE. DEAD. SEASON.

FireInside is a name known to allFireInside is a name known to allFireInside is a name known to allFireInside is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 15 reviews
I have had Reason 4,5, and now 6. I am very happy with it.
CYBERSYN and ThePhilosopher like this.

Six's:
Gibson Les Paul Studio
ESP LTD EC-1000 - EMG 81/81
Fender Strat - Duncan Blackout/Mick Thompson Blackout, tricked out.

Seven's:
Ibanez RG7321 - Blaze/Jazz w/Blackouts Modular Preamp.
ESP LTD M-107 tricked out.

ERG's:
ESP LTD VB-400 Viper Baritone - Blackout/EMG 85
Ibanez RGA8 - D Activator 8's
Ibanez RG8

Amp stuff:
Axe FX Ultra
Mesa Oversized 4x12
Line 6 Vetta HD
Framus Dragon 4x12

Basses:
Fender Jazz Bass - EMG's
Schecter Elite 4 Bass - EMG/BQC Control.
FireInside is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-12-2012, 05:07 AM   #11
SS.org Regular

Ryan-ZenGtr- is a glorious beacon of lightRyan-ZenGtr- is a glorious beacon of lightRyan-ZenGtr- is a glorious beacon of light
Get Z3t+ v1!!!

If your reading this and YOU haven't already got it, DO! Find a good link and post it up!

V1 is freeware! It's as good as anything else and it's FREE!!!

It will do anything you can possibly require. Very cool synth. The latest version is available at a reasonable price if you want better features.

*sigh* I try and tell people things from time to time, but do they listen?

I've ended up with a LOT of synths from KVR. Of my favourites, mellotrons are a lot of fun, sneaking them in as subtly as possible with some tape delay. A great sound!

The trouble with a lot of Synths is they date your music, so it has to be something pretty cool to be worthwhile. Lot's of cheese can be discovered in most preset banks.

A friend once told me:
"Keyboards and metal are like sex and condoms. It always feels better without one."

I'm still undecided, but I have loads of keyboards on most of my stuff.
CYBERSYN likes this.
Ryan-ZenGtr- is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-12-2012, 05:26 AM   #12
ss.org Regular

Monsterhulk is a jewel in the rough
I used softsynth a lot for some of my projects ... Absynth, Z3 and some other ... even the built-in Cubase 6 padshop is a GREAT tool if you spend some time to create your own patches ...

if you do some Absynth stuff if recommend to look at

pluginguru.com - Quik-E Videos

there are tons of great sounds and lots of tutorials to do some great Absynths on your own ...

Reason is an other beast but if you just wanna get some synths in your metal you don t need reason at all.

You could check out Morphestra (very expensive) or Evolve if you like NI ... there are some good built in sounds to use instantly ...

But i d prefer to do my own presets and spend some work

Greatz M
CYBERSYN likes this.
Monsterhulk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-12-2012, 05:38 AM   #13
Rivethead Magnate.

Daemoniac is his own personal hero.Daemoniac is his own personal hero.Daemoniac is his own personal hero.Daemoniac is his own personal hero.Daemoniac is his own personal hero.Daemoniac is his own personal hero.Daemoniac is his own personal hero.Daemoniac is his own personal hero.Daemoniac is his own personal hero.Daemoniac is his own personal hero.
Reason blows. No VST support, limited existing patches, and honestly not as good as I'd remembered it. I loved it back in high school before I realised you can add VST's to FL Studio, so I got it again recently and just haven't used it

Absynth is the king of evolving pads. No way around it, it's fantastic for them. For bass patches or lead patches, however, I believe there are much better programs out there, Omnisphere is supposed to be one, and I have a few freebies you may even like - shoot us a PM.
CYBERSYN likes this.
Daemoniac is online now   Reply With Quote