homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   photo gallery   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > Music Discussion > Recording Studio
LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter

Recording Studio Discussion on everything recording based, such as mixing, mastering, mics, monitors and other gear.

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 03-29-2012, 06:00 PM   #1
I suck at guitar.

ConnorGilks is a glorious beacon of lightConnorGilks is a glorious beacon of lightConnorGilks is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Dirt or no dirt on bass?

So do you guys put any overdrive or distortion on your bass when recording metal/prog metal kind of stuff? What about punk stuff? I plan to record all my bass through DI, so I thought I'd ask about when you guys use distortion, when you don't, and what you use to achieve it (pedals, amp, plugins etc.).

Thanks!
ConnorGilks is online now   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
Seven String

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 03-29-2012, 06:01 PM   #2
The Armada

JamesM is pretty much the man.JamesM is pretty much the man.JamesM is pretty much the man.JamesM is pretty much the man.JamesM is pretty much the man.JamesM is pretty much the man.JamesM is pretty much the man.JamesM is pretty much the man.JamesM is pretty much the man.
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
I use LeCto and Redwirez.
JamesM is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-29-2012, 06:07 PM   #3
I suck at guitar.

ConnorGilks is a glorious beacon of lightConnorGilks is a glorious beacon of lightConnorGilks is a glorious beacon of light
I'm on a Mac unfortunately so I can't use those plugins. Thanks though I'll look for similar plugins.
Unread 03-29-2012, 06:09 PM   #4
Wololololo

Scottckr is a jewel in the rough
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1393938/MAC%.../LeCto.vst.zip <-- LeCto for Mac

EDIT: sorry that was VST, AU is more suitable for mac use:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1393938/MAC%....component.zip
Scottckr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-29-2012, 06:18 PM   #5
I suck at guitar.

Thanks so much! So you use this plugin with bass instead of guitar and it works alright?
Unread 03-29-2012, 06:19 PM   #6
Wololololo

I actually just use CLA Bass which is magic by just applying it to the bass track, recently started putting "Decapitator" behind it which is a VERY aggressive distortion plugin :P
Unread 03-29-2012, 06:22 PM   #7
I suck at guitar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottckr View Post
I actually just use CLA Bass which is magic by just applying it to the bass track, recently started putting "Decapitator" behind it which is a VERY aggressive distortion plugin :P
Cool, happen to have any mixes of it in action?
Unread 03-29-2012, 06:37 PM   #8
Wololololo

well, yea I do, but they're from a mix I did for a buddy's band and they haven't released the songs yet, I could send a link in pm though
Unread 03-29-2012, 06:42 PM   #9
I suck at guitar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottckr View Post
well, yea I do, but they're from a mix I did for a buddy's band and they haven't released the songs yet, I could send a link in pm though
Sure man that'd be great! Thanks!

What's a good impulse or cab sim to use with the LeCto plugin for Mac?
Unread 03-29-2012, 06:44 PM   #10
Tard

metal_sam14 is a name known to allmetal_sam14 is a name known to allmetal_sam14 is a name known to allmetal_sam14 is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I use both, I have a main punchy bass track, then a distorted one underneath for grit, then bus them both to a multi band comp and EQ.
FireInside likes this.

My band "Actuality":
https://www.facebook.com/ActualityBand
Australian Prog!
metal_sam14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-29-2012, 06:45 PM   #11
Wololololo

I've got no clue there, apparently LeCab isn't available for Mac
I believe you could just download some impulse responses from wherever and use pace Designer(if you're using Logic) as a cab sim
Unread 03-29-2012, 06:45 PM   #12
Wololololo

but bass sounds pretty good just lined, no cab needed
Unread 03-29-2012, 06:57 PM   #13
K K

isispelican is a jewel in the rough
yes definitely add some dirt to it and never mix bass alone, because when played alone it can sound pretty bad where in the mix it could sound great
isispelican is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-29-2012, 07:20 PM   #14
Extended Ranger

Hollowway is deemed true by Crom himselfHollowway is deemed true by Crom himselfHollowway is deemed true by Crom himselfHollowway is deemed true by Crom himselfHollowway is deemed true by Crom himselfHollowway is deemed true by Crom himselfHollowway is deemed true by Crom himselfHollowway is deemed true by Crom himselfHollowway is deemed true by Crom himselfHollowway is deemed true by Crom himselfHollowway is deemed true by Crom himselfHollowway is deemed true by Crom himself
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Personally I like a very clean bass sound, no dirt whatsoever. If it's a punk song I make it sound real bright and plucky, but the opposite for metal. I don't really like the sound of a distorted bass, and I feel like it fuzzes out the bottom end too much. Can't help you with the plug ins, though, since I don't really do it.
Hollowway is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-29-2012, 07:58 PM   #15
SS.org Regular

Ryan-ZenGtr- is a glorious beacon of lightRyan-ZenGtr- is a glorious beacon of lightRyan-ZenGtr- is a glorious beacon of light
The distortion adds upper harmonics to bass guitars making the perceived volume louder.

Go have a look at Sound on Sound magazine's website for more uses of distortion for powerful mixes, if your interested. They had a nice feature on the loudness wars recently.

Blend a DI, mic'd cab (or sim) and FX track (dirt, chorus, subharmonic enhancer etc.) together and apply parallel compression.

Monitors and room are important when judging how much bass to include in a mix. Try to mix on a system your audience may listen to and aim for a good sound on that.

TSE (The Serena Experiment) offer a bass sansamp VSTi for free.

http://www.theserinaexperiment.net/f...c.php?f=9&t=68

A review
TSE B.O.D, A Freeware Sansamp Bass Driver DI Emulation Bedroom Producers Blog

You can get a tubescreamer and ENGL 530 preamp for free there as well.
Hollowway likes this.
Ryan-ZenGtr- is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-29-2012, 08:11 PM   #16
THE. DEAD. SEASON.

FireInside is a name known to allFireInside is a name known to allFireInside is a name known to allFireInside is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 15 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by metal_sam14 View Post
I use both, I have a main punchy bass track, then a distorted one underneath for grit, then bus them both to a multi band comp and EQ.
^ This is exactly how I do it as well.

Six's:
Gibson Les Paul Studio
ESP LTD EC-1000 - EMG 81/81
Fender Strat - Duncan Blackout/Mick Thompson Blackout, tricked out.

Seven's:
Ibanez RG7321 - Blaze/Jazz w/Blackouts Modular Preamp.
ESP LTD M-107 tricked out.

ERG's:
ESP LTD VB-400 Viper Baritone - Blackout/EMG 85
Ibanez RGA8 - D Activator 8's
Ibanez RG8

Amp stuff:
Axe FX Ultra
Mesa Oversized 4x12
Line 6 Vetta HD
Framus Dragon 4x12

Basses:
Fender Jazz Bass - EMG's
Schecter Elite 4 Bass - EMG/BQC Control.
FireInside is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-29-2012, 08:16 PM   #17
Baritone Funbags

EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollowway View Post
I feel like it fuzzes out the bottom end too much.
Definitely best to only apply it to the high end. I've been reading the mixing book that was just posted here the other night and was pleased to read I am already using his bass distortion method with slightly different frequencies as a starter

-Sending the bass to 3 different tracks
-Clean signal, low passed around 250Hz
-Slightly dirty signal, high passed around 500Hz and low passed around 5k
-Distorted signal, also high passed around 500Hz and low passed around 5k

That way you get none of the mess in the low end as that's covered by the clean

I highly recommend picking up that book!
Hollowway likes this.
EtherealEntity is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-29-2012, 08:46 PM   #18
has the groove.

C2Aye has much to be proud ofC2Aye has much to be proud ofC2Aye has much to be proud ofC2Aye has much to be proud ofC2Aye has much to be proud ofC2Aye has much to be proud ofC2Aye has much to be proud of
I definitely like a bit of crunch in my bass tone, I think it really livens it up, especially when it's alongside heavy guitars. I use Guitar Rig 4 for my bass tone mainly because it's how I did it initially before using Lepou plugins and I liked it how it was so I didn't bother changing it.

However, seeing how much work people put into their bass sound has me slightly worried. I mean, all I do is record it with my bass preset, slap a high pass and Stillwell Rocket Compressor on it and I'm done
C2Aye is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-29-2012, 09:01 PM   #19
Extended Ranger

Hollowway is deemed true by Crom himselfHollowway is deemed true by Crom himselfHollowway is deemed true by Crom himselfHollowway is deemed true by Crom himselfHollowway is deemed true by Crom himselfHollowway is deemed true by Crom himselfHollowway is deemed true by Crom himselfHollowway is deemed true by Crom himselfHollowway is deemed true by Crom himselfHollowway is deemed true by Crom himselfHollowway is deemed true by Crom himselfHollowway is deemed true by Crom himself
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
I really like that idea about keeping the lowest frequencies clean. Where the heck have I been? This is one of the many reasons I've never been the one to engineer anything my band or I have done, other than scratch tracks.
EtherealEntity likes this.
Hollowway is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-29-2012, 09:06 PM   #20
Baritone Funbags

EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollowway View Post
I really like that idea about keeping the lowest frequencies clean. Where the heck have I been? This is one of the many reasons I've never been the one to engineer anything my band or I have done, other than scratch tracks.
Try it sometime You're definitely right that distorted low frequencies sounds like ass!

Quote:
Originally Posted by C2Aye View Post
However, seeing how much work people put into their bass sound has me slightly worried. I mean, all I do is record it with my bass preset, slap a high pass and Stillwell Rocket Compressor on it and I'm done
Worried? It should be us that are worried about your great results without putting any effort in
Unread 03-29-2012, 09:10 PM   #21
has the groove.

C2Aye has much to be proud ofC2Aye has much to be proud ofC2Aye has much to be proud ofC2Aye has much to be proud ofC2Aye has much to be proud ofC2Aye has much to be proud ofC2Aye has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by EtherealEntity View Post
Worried? It should be us that are worried about your great results without putting any effort in
Well, there are definitely more things to try for bass tone tweakage! No point resting on your laurels

Wish I had the money to spare to pick up Ermz's mixing book. It sounds so incredibly useful!
C2Aye is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-29-2012, 10:28 PM   #22
Baritone Funbags

It's the best 13 you'll ever spend - the bass section blew me away. I've never seen such detail haha.
Unread 03-29-2012, 10:40 PM   #23
ss.org Regular

BadStarWanderer is on a distinguished road
Id say a little distortion can help it mix well with the guitars or be good for solos bass runs. but adding to much is a bad idea IMO. I have a bass friend and i had him help me design a bass tone on my pod x3... he went for a really clean ampeg sound. spanky and clean. he told me in deapth why he likes to keep it clean and it made sense.

so all in all im a guy who prefers his bass nice fat, clean, and spanky.

theres really enough distrotion in the guitars and ecspecially if you have a screamer. it just helps to keep =the bass clean so you dont muck up the rest of the mix.
BadStarWanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-29-2012, 10:57 PM   #24
I suck at guitar.

Thanks guys, again this is all helping me quite a bit so far, so thank you!! I also bought Ermz's book and it's also helping loads. Whoohoo!
Unread 04-01-2012, 04:12 PM   #25
SS.org Regular

Ryan-ZenGtr- is a glorious beacon of lightRyan-ZenGtr- is a glorious beacon of lightRyan-ZenGtr- is a glorious beacon of light
@ BadStarWanderer

Well put contradiction of the general theme of the thread.

I'm in the for bass distortion camp.

What we're talking about is having a high pass filtered distortion on a duplicate of the original clean bass (DI/mic'd cab or simulated) and blending it with the original signal so that when the mix is played back on feeble speakers with no ability to reproduce bass there are some suitable/in context high tones being heard from the bass guitar. It also reinforces the guitars distorted low end.

I really like pure clean bass tones, with "hidden" distortion for reinforcement. Having the ability to blend in a distorted bass tone allows you to have more bass in the final mix. What you hear is a clean bass tone, the distortion increases the note definition, as most people remove a lot of bass after 1.2khz.
Ryan-ZenGtr- is offline   Reply With Quote