homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   photo gallery   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > Music Discussion > Recording Studio
LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter

Recording Studio Discussion on everything recording based, such as mixing, mastering, mics, monitors and other gear.

Like Tree9Likes
  • 1 Post By revclay
  • 1 Post By Fiction
  • 1 Post By Ryan-ZenGtr-
  • 1 Post By Seamless
  • 1 Post By Ryan-ZenGtr-
  • 1 Post By Ryan-ZenGtr-
  • 1 Post By Red32
  • 1 Post By ThePhilosopher
  • 1 Post By HOKENSTYFE

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 02-18-2012, 09:41 PM   #1
SS.org Regular

Santuzzo has much to be proud ofSantuzzo has much to be proud ofSantuzzo has much to be proud ofSantuzzo has much to be proud ofSantuzzo has much to be proud ofSantuzzo has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
New mix (ambient metal) - I'd appreciate constructive criticism

I put some more work into my last tune and added a part/changed things a bit.
Also, I'm using SSD 4.0 on this, as opposed to AD.

Let me know what you think, any kind of constructive criticism is always very much appreciated.

Metal 9.4.0.mix1.2 by Lars Bauer on SoundCloud - Create, record and share your sounds for free

EDIT:

new, IMO improved mix:

http://soundcloud.com/larsbauer/metal-9-4-0-mix1-3

Thanks,
Lars

my website - free licks - some of my music

I offer online guitar lessons on Skype in different styles. Send me a PM if interested.

Santuzzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Alt Today
Seven String

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 02-18-2012, 11:25 PM   #2
SS.org Regular

revclay is a jewel in the rough
The guitars are overpowering the drums, especially the kick and snare. Try and bring up the snare and the kick in the mix. Also, make sure the different instruments are all occupying different frequencies. It seems like the snare, guitars and kick and are all fighting for space so some EQ will go a long way in helping them all occupy their own space in the mix. But I like the ideas in the song, so I would focus on the mix and trying to get everything to jive with one another a little bit better.
Santuzzo likes this.

VIRGA
Full-length album, Fragments of Us All, out now! http://virga.bandcamp.com/
www.facebook.com/virgaband
www.youtube.com/virgaband
revclay is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-18-2012, 11:32 PM   #3
For Mod

Fiction is a name known to allFiction is a name known to allFiction is a name known to allFiction is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Id probably bring the guitars down a tad, and bring the snare and kick up slightly. Also the snare has way to much reverb and "boom".

Also that part at 2:30 is awesome, man!
Santuzzo likes this.
Fiction is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-19-2012, 02:50 AM   #4
SS.org Regular

Santuzzo has much to be proud ofSantuzzo has much to be proud ofSantuzzo has much to be proud ofSantuzzo has much to be proud ofSantuzzo has much to be proud ofSantuzzo has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by revclay View Post
The guitars are overpowering the drums, especially the kick and snare. Try and bring up the snare and the kick in the mix. Also, make sure the different instruments are all occupying different frequencies. It seems like the snare, guitars and kick and are all fighting for space so some EQ will go a long way in helping them all occupy their own space in the mix. But I like the ideas in the song, so I would focus on the mix and trying to get everything to jive with one another a little bit better.
Thank you very much.
I will work on this!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiction View Post
Id probably bring the guitars down a tad, and bring the snare and kick up slightly. Also the snare has way to much reverb and "boom".

Also that part at 2:30 is awesome, man!
Thanks!

I offer online guitar lessons on Skype in different styles. Send me a PM if interested.

Unread 02-19-2012, 05:59 PM   #5
SS.org Regular

I just made a new IMO improved mix, added some more delay to the leads, turned down the OHs turned up the rest of the kit and changed one part in the drum programming:

Metal 9.4.0.mix1.3 by Lars Bauer on SoundCloud - Create, record and share your sounds for free

Does this sound better to you guys than the first mix?

Unread 02-20-2012, 03:17 AM   #6
SS.org Regular

Ryan-ZenGtr- is a glorious beacon of lightRyan-ZenGtr- is a glorious beacon of lightRyan-ZenGtr- is a glorious beacon of light
I enjoyed that. Always nice to hear people playing melodies.

I'd suggest that you think about the arrangement. So far as the backing goes, not too much movement until the whole tone section, that repeats for some time, then the major 7th arpeggio section, then back to the intro groove and fade out.

You could arrange the backing to give more dynamics and harmony for your soloing. As it is, it's very linear, rather than the intro/verse/chorus/verse/chorus/bridge/ending we're all used to.

It might be nice if you used the whole tone section as "the chorus" and arranged the rest around it, giving more variety.

The mix improved with your new version. Is it dinner jazz with metal rhythm guitars OR metal with dinner jazz keyboards? You need to figure out which you want to present to people and mix it accordingly.

Good luck and interesting sounds!
Santuzzo likes this.
Ryan-ZenGtr- is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-20-2012, 05:38 AM   #7
ss.org Regular

Seamless is a jewel in the rough
I'm listening to just the newer one.

First thing I noticed is the snare. Lots of mid range. It kind of sounds like a tom, almost. It's a stark contrast to the high frequency palette that everything else offers.

I would, personally, bring down the 2khz area on the leads when they harmonize over the rhythm. Too many similar tones creating a boost that sounds a tad uncomfortable for me.

The kick could stand to be louder, but it's honestly not a huge problem.

good stuff :]
Santuzzo likes this.
Seamless is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-20-2012, 05:02 PM   #8
SS.org Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan-ZenGtr- View Post
I enjoyed that. Always nice to hear people playing melodies.

I'd suggest that you think about the arrangement. So far as the backing goes, not too much movement until the whole tone section, that repeats for some time, then the major 7th arpeggio section, then back to the intro groove and fade out.

You could arrange the backing to give more dynamics and harmony for your soloing. As it is, it's very linear, rather than the intro/verse/chorus/verse/chorus/bridge/ending we're all used to.

It might be nice if you used the whole tone section as "the chorus" and arranged the rest around it, giving more variety.

The mix improved with your new version. Is it dinner jazz with metal rhythm guitars OR metal with dinner jazz keyboards? You need to figure out which you want to present to people and mix it accordingly.

Good luck and interesting sounds!
Thanks for your feedback.

I intentionally did not follow a traditional verse/bridge/chorus/verse/bridge/chorus arrangement.

Which part do you mean by whole-tone section. There is actually no whole-tone usage in this song. Did you mean the part at 2:30?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seamless View Post
I'm listening to just the newer one.

First thing I noticed is the snare. Lots of mid range. It kind of sounds like a tom, almost. It's a stark contrast to the high frequency palette that everything else offers.

I would, personally, bring down the 2khz area on the leads when they harmonize over the rhythm. Too many similar tones creating a boost that sounds a tad uncomfortable for me.

The kick could stand to be louder, but it's honestly not a huge problem.

good stuff :]
Thanks a lot!
I will try to EQ the snare differently. You mean it might need some more highs and less mids, right?

Unread 02-21-2012, 05:33 AM   #9
SS.org Regular

Ryan-ZenGtr- is a glorious beacon of lightRyan-ZenGtr- is a glorious beacon of lightRyan-ZenGtr- is a glorious beacon of light
I intentionally did not follow a traditional verse/bridge/chorus/verse/bridge/chorus arrangement.

I noticed!

Perhaps it would benefit from some more definition/orchestration in the various sections which repeat (1st time - No keyboards - 2nd time - keyboards /whatever you like). Just mute some tracks on each section, easy to do and would add definition and variety, helping to build towards the end of the piece. If you like the sound of that idea.

Which part do you mean by whole-tone section. There is actually no whole-tone usage in this song. Did you mean the part at 2:30?

Yes, you play a riff and ascend it after each repeat in whole tone steps, with a lydian overtone. It's a nice sound, I use it sometimes. I'd call it a whole tone modulation, but of course we can all disagree on theory jargon, it doesn't really matter.

Anyway, nice piece and easy to listen to. Well done!
Santuzzo likes this.
Unread 02-21-2012, 04:15 PM   #10
SS.org Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan-ZenGtr- View Post

I noticed!

Perhaps it would benefit from some more definition/orchestration in the various sections which repeat (1st time - No keyboards - 2nd time - keyboards /whatever you like). Just mute some tracks on each section, easy to do and would add definition and variety, helping to build towards the end of the piece. If you like the sound of that idea.

Yes, you play a riff and ascend it after each repeat in whole tone steps, with a lydian overtone. It's a nice sound, I use it sometimes. I'd call it a whole tone modulation, but of course we can all disagree on theory jargon, it doesn't really matter.

Anyway, nice piece and easy to listen to. Well done!

Thanks, man !
Yes, that is a cool idea about the build-up by using difference in orchestration. Thanks!

That part you mean actually moves up in minor 3rds and then goes down a major second, etc. So the root movement actually follows a diminished scale pattern.

Thanks again for your feedback and suggestions! much appreciated!

Unread 02-22-2012, 06:38 AM   #11
SS.org Regular

Still sounds whole tone to me.

I know what you mean though.

I look forward to hearing more from you.
Santuzzo likes this.
Unread 02-23-2012, 12:39 AM   #12
ss.org Regular

Red32 will become famous soon enough
You have to many 400 Hz in rhytm guitar and to little 100 Hz. Iron have many low frequencies. Kick drum too quiet(in fact, rhytm guitar is very loud). And many many other frequencies are needed to be edited. Cool music by the way
Santuzzo likes this.
Red32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-23-2012, 04:54 PM   #13
SS.org Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red32 View Post
You have to many 400 Hz in rhytm guitar and to little 100 Hz. Iron have many low frequencies. Kick drum too quiet(in fact, rhytm guitar is very loud). And many many other frequencies are needed to be edited. Cool music by the way
Thank you very much !

Do you mean the cymbals/overheads by iron having too much of low frequencies?

Unread 02-25-2012, 03:17 AM   #14
ss.org Regular

Red32 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Santuzzo View Post
Thank you very much !

Do you mean the cymbals/overheads by iron having too much of low frequencies?

yes, I mean all cymbals, hats, overheads. It's probably russian term to call that stuff "iron".
Red32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-27-2012, 01:40 PM   #15
SS.org Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red32 View Post
yes, I mean all cymbals, hats, overheads. It's probably russian term to call that stuff "iron".
Ok, thanks, I got it

Unread 02-27-2012, 06:35 PM   #16
Reason User

ThePhilosopher is a name known to allThePhilosopher is a name known to allThePhilosopher is a name known to allThePhilosopher is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
I can't hear the kick very well at all, and the snare sounds very hollow and tom-like. The guitars are quite loud compared to everything else. The cymbals may need more velocity to sound right (unless they're already up all the way).
Santuzzo likes this.

"Congrats on joining the man-fan club " - EtherealEntity
My Photography: www.bartkophoto.com
My Bandcamp: http://dbartko.bandcamp.com/
My Soundcloud: www.soundcloud.com/dbartko
ThePhilosopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-29-2012, 12:36 AM   #17
SS.org Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePhilosopher View Post
I can't hear the kick very well at all, and the snare sounds very hollow and tom-like. The guitars are quite loud compared to everything else. The cymbals may need more velocity to sound right (unless they're already up all the way).
Thanks a lot!

Unread 02-29-2012, 02:18 AM   #18
HeartWyrm

HOKENSTYFE is a jewel in the rough
All & all I like what I heard. Definitely going to keep my ear out for more.

Just in case your looking, Jonny Shnizz better known as ForiTorI has an 8 part tutorial on YouTube helping musicians get their recording the best they can get it. If your interested, check out Mojojojo378 on YouTube. In-depth stuff. He's routinely on Got-Djent.com if you want to engage him.
Good Luck
Santuzzo likes this.
HOKENSTYFE is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-29-2012, 07:19 PM   #19
SS.org Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOKENSTYFE View Post
All & all I like what I heard. Definitely going to keep my ear out for more.

Just in case your looking, Jonny Shnizz better known as ForiTorI has an 8 part tutorial on YouTube helping musicians get their recording the best they can get it. If your interested, check out Mojojojo378 on YouTube. In-depth stuff. He's routinely on Got-Djent.com if you want to engage him.
Good Luck
Thank you very much!