homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   photo gallery   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > Music Discussion > Recording Studio
LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter

Recording Studio Discussion on everything recording based, such as mixing, mastering, mics, monitors and other gear.

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Andii

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 01-16-2012, 06:27 PM   #1
Captain tying knots

Andii is a glorious beacon of lightAndii is a glorious beacon of lightAndii is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Clip:Lundgren M8 Maxon OD808 Peavey 6505+

I made a quick clip to show off what the M8 and 6505+ do when paired up.

The signal chain is:
Lundgren M8>Maxon OD808>Peavey 6506+>DI>s-preshigh impulse response>eq

The tuning is EBEADGBE. It's an EB pink seven string set and a .80 bass string on the low string. 30 inch scale agile.

The OD808 is set with the drive off, the tone at noon and the level at 2 oclock.

The Peavey has all EHX Russian tubes in it and it's biased all the way hot.

The amp settings are 1-10 on the control panel and not clock numbers:
Pre 6.5
low 10
mid1.5
high 5
post 1

Resonance and presence are included into the creation of the "s-preshigh" impulse so they were on zero on my amp.

I use a Countryman type 10 DI to capture the signal from the speaker out. The lead goes from the amps speaker out and into the DI's input and the cab is plugged into the thru. This captures the signal of the amp and allows it to work normally with the cab and not fry. The signal goes to my interface via the XLR out on the DI. I'm using Poulin lecab to run the s-preshigh impulse. The eq is a slight cut in the low mids where that impulse has a bit too much.

The drums are Toontrack Ezdrumer EZX Metaheads expansion.

Ignore the riffs in the clip. I was testing the M8 to see what it can do with my rig so I can decide what to do about gear later when I have time to write music that isn't for the death metal band I just joined.
M8ing Season by Axonicrot on SoundCloud - Create, record and share your sounds for free

the unbearable likes this.
Andii is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Alt Today
Seven String

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 01-16-2012, 06:40 PM   #2
SS.org Regular

TheBotquax is a jewel in the rough
The tone is a little scooped for my interests but it still sounds clear as .....
TheBotquax is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-17-2012, 08:27 PM   #3
Captain tying knots

Andii is a glorious beacon of lightAndii is a glorious beacon of lightAndii is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBotquax View Post
The tone is a little scooped for my interests but it still sounds clear as .....
Thanks for the feedback dude!
Unread 01-17-2012, 08:57 PM   #4
Reason User

ThePhilosopher is a name known to allThePhilosopher is a name known to allThePhilosopher is a name known to allThePhilosopher is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
I really liked it; I do wish there were more mids, but damn it sounded good.

"Congrats on joining the man-fan club " - EtherealEntity
My Photography: www.bartkophoto.com
My Bandcamp: http://dbartko.bandcamp.com/
My Soundcloud: www.soundcloud.com/dbartko
ThePhilosopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-19-2012, 01:54 PM   #5
Oh God Damnit!

Antenna is just really niceAntenna is just really nice
Dude I love it! We have got to work on some stuff together man!
Antenna is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-19-2012, 02:49 PM   #6
SS.org Regular

AstonAston is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
A bit too much gain and too scooped to my taste. But still sounds killer!
AstonAston is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-19-2012, 05:54 PM   #7
Set up us the bomb

MF_Kitten is deemed true by Crom himselfMF_Kitten is deemed true by Crom himselfMF_Kitten is deemed true by Crom himselfMF_Kitten is deemed true by Crom himselfMF_Kitten is deemed true by Crom himselfMF_Kitten is deemed true by Crom himselfMF_Kitten is deemed true by Crom himselfMF_Kitten is deemed true by Crom himselfMF_Kitten is deemed true by Crom himselfMF_Kitten is deemed true by Crom himselfMF_Kitten is deemed true by Crom himselfMF_Kitten is deemed true by Crom himself
This sounds just the right kind of filthy, my man! I would just get out a parametric EQ, and make a single "bump" with the highest Q value (narrowest setting) you can get, somewhere in the high end. Move it up and down and see if you can find that sizzle. It sounds like it's in the 3khz area. When you find it, turn that EQ bump down and suck that sizzle out, so you're left with the detailed high end only, and not the static-like partof it.

--------------------------------------
What will metal be doing in ten years? What ever Meshuggah will be doing in two.
-Anthony
MF_Kitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-20-2012, 11:40 PM   #8
Captain tying knots

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePhilosopher View Post
I really liked it; I do wish there were more mids, but damn it sounded good.
Thanks dude.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antenna View Post
Dude I love it! We have got to work on some stuff together man!
Thanks man! We probably should, but I don't know what sort of thing we would do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AstonAston View Post
A bit too much gain and too scooped to my taste. But still sounds killer!
Thanks for the feedback!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MF_Kitten View Post
This sounds just the right kind of filthy, my man! I would just get out a parametric EQ, and make a single "bump" with the highest Q value (narrowest setting) you can get, somewhere in the high end. Move it up and down and see if you can find that sizzle. It sounds like it's in the 3khz area. When you find it, turn that EQ bump down and suck that sizzle out, so you're left with the detailed high end only, and not the static-like partof it.
I worked with the EQ for a while and had some pretty meticulous fixes happening, but I really preferred the leave it alone in the high end. I'm not sure if it's a preference or a shortcoming in my monitoring setup. The fix I did in the low mids got rid of a boxy sound that is in that impulse, but it took me forever to get that right.... or maybe it isn't right,

As for the mids.... damn untreated room and cheap monitors are probably why I'm lured into that because it sounds just right on the monitors. I have headphones and hear the lacking,

Every time I kick mid up a half a notch on the amp it seems really really midrangey. I don't know what to think. Even though the midrange looks low on the amp, the TS in front paired with that amp and that pickup is midrange city. I try to control it, but my monitors may be making me overreact.