homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   photo gallery   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > Music Discussion > Recording Studio
LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter

Recording Studio Discussion on everything recording based, such as mixing, mastering, mics, monitors and other gear.

View Poll Results: Choose THREE entries!
xfilth 9 20.00%
sexybacon 2 4.44%
musikizlife 16 35.56%
bhakan 1 2.22%
TheSilentWater 2 4.44%
C2Aye 22 48.89%
Larcher 2 4.44%
Enselmis 7 15.56%
Waelstrum 1 2.22%
Semikiller 0 0%
itscurbe 5 11.11%
dbrozz 8 17.78%
simulclass83 1 2.22%
in-pursuit 5 11.11%
unbrblncvncfbng 3 6.67%
Varcolac 0 0%
thedrummerkid 12 26.67%
danieluber1337 6 13.33%
ooidort 3 6.67%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 45. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree24Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 01-10-2012, 05:28 AM   #1
WhiskeyTangoFoxtrot

Customisbetter is pretty damn metal.Customisbetter is pretty damn metal.Customisbetter is pretty damn metal.Customisbetter is pretty damn metal.Customisbetter is pretty damn metal.Customisbetter is pretty damn metal.Customisbetter is pretty damn metal.Customisbetter is pretty damn metal.
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
-VOTE- Sevenstring.org 1-Hour Recording Comp V.4

This competition was about composing and recording a song based on a theme in about an hour.
Here is the original thread so you can get an idea of how it worked.

SSO One Hour Recording Competition V.4!!

An the Theme for this Competition was this...

Quote:
Cozy Cabin

As you look out of the frosted window you see the snow continue to blow across the ridge. The winds carry so many flakes that only the largest mountains are visible through the storm. You hear that satisfying crunch of snow falling off of your cabin's roof. The Fire pops and sizzles as it consumes your fresh cut pine logs creating the cozy warm heat for you and your companions. This is an atmosphere like none other.
Please vote for THREE of your favorite entries!

xfilth
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/6017642/1h%20jan.mp3

sexybacon
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/12904618/1%20hour.mp3

musikizlife
Incandescent by Musikizlife on SoundCloud - Create, record and share your sounds for free

bhakan
Sevenstring.org 1 Hour Competition v4 Entry by Brad Sorman on SoundCloud - Create, record and share your sounds for free

TheSilentWater
January ss.org 1 Hour Recording Competition by jnewham on SoundCloud - Create, record and share your sounds for free

C2Aye
SSO 1 hour Comp V4 Entry by C2Aye on SoundCloud - Create, record and share your sounds for free

Larcher
SSO 1 hour comp entry by IAmTitan on SoundCloud - Create, record and share your sounds for free

Enselmis
Gazing Into the Blizzard - One Hour Song Contest by Robert_H on SoundCloud - Create, record and share your sounds for free

Waelstrum
SoundClick artist: Waelstrum - page with MP3 music downloads

Semikiller
1 Hour Thingy by Ahhlecks on SoundCloud - Create, record and share your sounds for free

itscurbe
SoundClick artist: Curbe Dreher - page with MP3 music downloads

dbrozz
SoundClick artist: Dev Brow - page with MP3 music downloads

simulclass83
Smirkunov by Eclipsis NJ on SoundCloud - Create, record and share your sounds for free

in-pursuit
The Comforting Embrace of Isolation by Frogherder on SoundCloud - Create, record and share your sounds for free

Varcolac
January by Varcolac on SoundCloud - Create, record and share your sounds for free

thedrummerkid
SSO One Hour v4 by xOxmodious on SoundCloud - Create, record and share your sounds for free

danieluber1337
1hr4 by Inside Black Mesa on SoundCloud - Create, record and share your sounds for free

ooidort
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/5798359/1hr%...on_ooidort.mp3

unbrblncvncfbng
SoundClick artist: The Unbearable Inconvenience of Being - page with MP3 music downloads

\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\

Lets give a round of applause to all of this Month's contestants! Thanks so much for participating guys and I plan on seeing you all again for the next one.

http://www.sevenstring.org/forum/signaturepics/sigpic17517_3.gif
Customisbetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
Seven String

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 01-10-2012, 05:31 AM   #2
fpoon

Larcher is a glorious beacon of lightLarcher is a glorious beacon of lightLarcher is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
was fun can the contestees vote aswell?
Larcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-10-2012, 05:41 AM   #3
For Mod

Fiction is a name known to allFiction is a name known to allFiction is a name known to allFiction is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Edit: Did the poll instead, wasn't up when I loaded the thread originally..

Great job guys!
Fiction is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-10-2012, 05:49 AM   #4
Pardon my french

Andromalia is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Andromalia is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Andromalia is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Andromalia is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Andromalia is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Andromalia is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Andromalia is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Too bad I can't be available at the time those contests are done.
Andromalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-10-2012, 08:16 AM   #5
WhiskeyTangoFoxtrot

Customisbetter is pretty damn metal.Customisbetter is pretty damn metal.Customisbetter is pretty damn metal.Customisbetter is pretty damn metal.Customisbetter is pretty damn metal.Customisbetter is pretty damn metal.Customisbetter is pretty damn metal.Customisbetter is pretty damn metal.
Everybody can vote!

My personal favorite was Xfilth's entry. It perfectly emulated what I had in mind while writing the theme.

Also Ooidort's entry was killer and had vocals!

Sithu's had a sweet presence to it as does all of his stuff.

Muzikislife's was rockin too but its so hard to choose just three!
xfilth likes this.

Unread 01-10-2012, 12:52 PM   #6
doesn't djent, sorry

Location: #3 most dangerous city in the U.S.... makes you feel all warm and fuzzy, doesn't it...?
the unbearable is a jewel in the rough
Bumpzinga

Petrus Thomas Ratajczyk (January 4, 1962 April 14, 2010)
--------------------------------------------------------------------

me - is this "pink floyd-core"? don't answer, i'm totally not serious....

Opeth21 (n/k/a dbrozz) - have you even listened to music since '03? this is totally mellowstrat-chordprogcore. but dont take it too hard man
the unbearable is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-10-2012, 09:01 PM   #7
has the groove.

C2Aye has much to be proud ofC2Aye has much to be proud ofC2Aye has much to be proud ofC2Aye has much to be proud ofC2Aye has much to be proud ofC2Aye has much to be proud ofC2Aye has much to be proud of
When is the voting open until? I'm really struggling to find the time to sit down and listen to all of the entries thanks to my bloody exams.

Edit: Nevermind, just read the bit at the top. Score negative one million to me
the unbearable likes this.
C2Aye is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-10-2012, 09:45 PM   #8
Banned

Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Vote Drbrozz, vote obama.
Stealthdjentstic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-10-2012, 10:25 PM   #9
SS.org Regular

dbrozz is a glorious beacon of lightdbrozz is a glorious beacon of lightdbrozz is a glorious beacon of light

Gear:
Axe-Fx II
Mackie HD1221
Ibanez RG7620
dbrozz is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-11-2012, 12:03 AM   #10
doesn't djent, sorry

Location: #3 most dangerous city in the U.S.... makes you feel all warm and fuzzy, doesn't it...?
i would have voted for xfilth's, except i can't get over my hate for piezo sounding acoustics.... playing was ....ing ace though.....

Opeth21 (n/k/a dbrozz) - have you even listened to music since '03? this is totally mellowstrat-chordprogcore. but dont take it too hard man
Unread 01-11-2012, 10:18 AM   #11
Phrygianist

xfilth is a name known to allxfilth is a name known to allxfilth is a name known to allxfilth is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by unbrblncvncfbng View Post
i would have voted for xfilth's, except i can't get over my hate for piezo sounding acoustics.... playing was ....ing ace though.....
Haha, I would have mic'd it, but I was just grasping at straws during the last 20 mins when I finally decided I wanted acoustic in. Was recorded a mellow slide lead when time ran out :|

Let's have another one in february, please! I feel like I have to redeem myself (or fail even worse)
xfilth is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-11-2012, 11:58 AM   #12
has the groove.

C2Aye has much to be proud ofC2Aye has much to be proud ofC2Aye has much to be proud ofC2Aye has much to be proud ofC2Aye has much to be proud ofC2Aye has much to be proud ofC2Aye has much to be proud of
Great entries by all, I like how diverse the takes on the theme are! Personally, my favourites were the mellow, jazzy ones. It really sets that 'chill down in front of the fire' vibe (as well as me being a sucker for mellow, jazzy tunes )
Hourglass1117 likes this.
C2Aye is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-11-2012, 01:49 PM   #13
doesn't djent, sorry

Quote:
Originally Posted by xfilth View Post
Haha, I would have mic'd it, but I was just grasping at straws during the last 20 mins when I finally decided I wanted acoustic in. Was recorded a mellow slide lead when time ran out :|

Let's have another one in february, please! I feel like I have to redeem myself (or fail even worse)
sorry, man. no offense... mine was done ghetto as hell... pc died so i did everything to 4 track cassette... shitty rompler, direct guitars, the whole shot..

Unread 01-11-2012, 01:54 PM   #14
SS.org Regular

bhakan is just really nicebhakan is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by xfilth View Post
This always happens to me. I come into the contest knowing that I'm gonna be way better than my last and have it be awesome, then suddenly I have 10 minutes left and haven't tracked any of the guitars yet .
the unbearable likes this.
bhakan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-11-2012, 01:59 PM   #15
Phrygianist

xfilth is a name known to allxfilth is a name known to allxfilth is a name known to allxfilth is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by unbrblncvncfbng View Post
sorry, man. no offense... mine was done ghetto as hell... pc died so i did everything to 4 track cassette... shitty rompler, direct guitars, the whole shot..
None taken at all haha, that's awesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhakan View Post
This always happens to me. I come into the contest knowing that I'm gonna be way better than my last and have it be awesome, then suddenly I have 10 minutes left and haven't tracked any of the guitars yet .
Haha This is the first time I join, so I guess it's a good thing to start at rock bottom and attempt to climb up slowly :p
xfilth is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-11-2012, 09:09 PM   #16
☻☺☻☼☺☻☺

danieluber1337 is a jewel in the rough
I definitely thought xfilth's was the one that fit the most.

I got my SD2.0 bulb preset whipped out, my heavily distorted guitar track primed and ready... and wtf? Cozy cabin? Uhh... I don't have any clean amps on my computer that I like!

I just had to get my distortion in there... xD But, in retrospect, I'm glad it wasn't a metal theme. I liked the shock and the fact that I had to branch out.

Keep em coming, custom

"i think you are right - the bass seems lower than the guitars" - Jogeta

Inside Black Mesa - Progressive Metal

WIP - Would love feedback!

Multitracking Guitars - A Short Guide - by yours truly!
danieluber1337 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-12-2012, 04:56 AM   #17
Giddyup.

Prydogga is pretty damn metal.Prydogga is pretty damn metal.Prydogga is pretty damn metal.Prydogga is pretty damn metal.Prydogga is pretty damn metal.Prydogga is pretty damn metal.Prydogga is pretty damn metal.Prydogga is pretty damn metal.
Damn. Can't believe I missed it, was in the mood for something like this theme too. Anyways, C2Aye got my vote.

M E M O I R S
Music from myself and Kurkkuviipale!
http://soundcloud.com/m-e-m-o-i-r-s

I also do graphic design, both freelance and for label Myriad Records.
Prydogga is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-12-2012, 05:48 AM   #18
For Mod

Fiction is a name known to allFiction is a name known to allFiction is a name known to allFiction is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by C2Aye View Post
Great entries by all, I like how diverse the takes on the theme are! Personally, my favourites were the mellow, jazzy ones. It really sets that 'chill down in front of the fire' vibe (as well as me being a sucker for mellow, jazzy tunes )
Exactly the pieces I picked as well. One day when i'm old i want to move to a cold snowy place, sip tea and listen to mellow jazz.
GATA4 likes this.
Fiction is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-12-2012, 06:19 AM   #19
/\'...'/\

toiletstand is a glorious beacon of lighttoiletstand is a glorious beacon of lighttoiletstand is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 22 reviews
c2aye for sure. reminded me of iamamiwhoami
toiletstand is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-12-2012, 08:01 PM   #20
WhiskeyTangoFoxtrot

Bumpalicious. Vote errahbody!

Unread 01-12-2012, 10:54 PM   #21
Aaron Branches

Hourglass1117 is a glorious beacon of lightHourglass1117 is a glorious beacon of lightHourglass1117 is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 12 reviews
I voted xflilth, musikislife, and dbrozz.
I felt that those three really captured the cozy theme. dbrozz didn't feel as cozy as the other two more mellow tracks, but I really enjoyed the "snowflakes" of the natural harmonics. Really cool stuff.

There was a lot of good material in this contest, guys! Awesome work! There were many of you who's music I really enjoyed listening to but the emotions that they struck inside of me was not so much "cozy cabin" feeling. A lot of people went for a majestic, snowstorm kinda feel, which I really dug, but didn't quite gel with the theme IMO.
xfilth and GATA4 like this.

Follow me on Soundcloud:
www.soundcloud.com/aaronbranches

EBMM JPX-7
EBMM JPX Emerald Green
AxeFX Ultra
Hourglass1117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-13-2012, 01:35 AM   #22
SS.org Regular

dbrozz is a glorious beacon of lightdbrozz is a glorious beacon of lightdbrozz is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hourglass1117 View Post
I voted xflilth, musikislife, and dbrozz.
I felt that those three really captured the cozy theme. dbrozz didn't feel as cozy as the other two more mellow tracks, but I really enjoyed the "snowflakes" of the natural harmonics. Really cool stuff.

There was a lot of good material in this contest, guys! Awesome work! There were many of you who's music I really enjoyed listening to but the emotions that they struck inside of me was not so much "cozy cabin" feeling. A lot of people went for a majestic, snowstorm kinda feel, which I really dug, but didn't quite gel with the theme IMO.
thank you for the kind words, towards everyone!
i'm glad the harmonics helped you visualize the blizzard, because that's exactly what I hoped they would do. I figured if I were in that cabin, I'd be captivated by nature outside looking through the window, such as " The winds carry so many flakes that only the largest mountains are visible through the storm. " So thats what I did

But enough about that, I just wanted to say cheers to everyone for their contributions - all the entries were great in their own right. Its great to hear each individuals take on the same theme

Really looking forward to the next one! Hope to see you all.

Gear:
Axe-Fx II
Mackie HD1221
Ibanez RG7620
dbrozz is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-13-2012, 01:57 AM   #23
TCM Softhands

musikizlife is just really nicemusikizlife is just really nice
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
This comp was a load of fun just like the last one and everyone did a really "chill" job Im so glad that so many people got involved!

This is just the kind of thing that brings a forum together, and I'm already stoked for the next one.

Thanks Customisbetter for putting this together again!
xfilth and GATA4 like this.
musikizlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-13-2012, 02:34 AM   #24
Banned

GATA4 is just really niceGATA4 is just really nice
Really impressed by these entries. Great job everyone
GATA4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-14-2012, 12:14 AM   #25
Banned

in-pursuit is just really nicein-pursuit is just really nice
I've still got a couple to listen to before I vote, gonna be a hard choice...
in-pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote