homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   photo gallery   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > Music Discussion > Recording Studio
LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter

Recording Studio Discussion on everything recording based, such as mixing, mastering, mics, monitors and other gear.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 11-18-2006, 10:25 PM   #1
ss.org Regular

machinegunriffer82 is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Does anybody have tips on customizing your own guitar tone

does anybody have tips on customizing your own guitar tone , like what would give me the options of doing this. eq pedals? etc.
machinegunriffer82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
Seven String

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 11-18-2006, 10:35 PM   #2
Aye.

Scott harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.Scott harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.Scott harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.Scott harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.Scott harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.Scott harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.Scott harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.Scott harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.Scott harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.Scott harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.Scott harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.Scott harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.Scott harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
All knobs to 11, treble at 4

POOF!
Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-18-2006, 10:43 PM   #3
Cancer:The Crucifuct

Cancer is pretty damn metal.Cancer is pretty damn metal.Cancer is pretty damn metal.Cancer is pretty damn metal.Cancer is pretty damn metal.Cancer is pretty damn metal.Cancer is pretty damn metal.Cancer is pretty damn metal.
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
My first guitar teacher said it to me first, and I still think it's true today. Find a player whose tone you absolutely love, copy what he/she does, then modify to taste. Build on the shoulders of giants, it saves a hell of a lot of time.

Good luck to you.
Cancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-18-2006, 10:56 PM   #4
Nik
Arrogant asshole

Nik will become famous soon enough
Tone comes from the fingers, so work on developing your technique in a unique way Actually, that's true to a certain extent, but obviously other stuff plays a big part as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by psyphre View Post
My first guitar teacher said it to me first, and I still think it's true today. Find a player whose tone you absolutely love, copy what he/she does, then modify to taste. Build on the shoulders of giants, it saves a hell of a lot of time.

Good luck to you.

^ Very excellent advice.

For example, for my lead tone, I got some advice and made it as close to John Petrucci's lead tone as possible, and messed around with it till I was finally happy

----------------------
Visit my band, 'Emulsifier.' Unless you suck. You don't suck... do you?
http://www.myspace.com/demx
Nik is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-19-2006, 12:19 AM   #5
ss.org Regular

machinegunriffer82 is a jewel in the rough
yeah that's really great advice, but I was thinking more gear wise like pedals procesors etc, like which ones carve out different kinds of tone greatly.
machinegunriffer82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-19-2006, 12:44 AM   #6
Vince is X!!!

Vince has an entire closet full of viking hats.Vince has an entire closet full of viking hats.Vince has an entire closet full of viking hats.Vince has an entire closet full of viking hats.Vince has an entire closet full of viking hats.Vince has an entire closet full of viking hats.Vince has an entire closet full of viking hats.Vince has an entire closet full of viking hats.Vince has an entire closet full of viking hats.Vince has an entire closet full of viking hats.Vince has an entire closet full of viking hats.Vince has an entire closet full of viking hats.Vince has an entire closet full of viking hats.
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Nik hit the nail on the head. What makes you you comes from you, not from some arbitrary piece of gear.

Having said that, the more ways you can shape your sound to be like the music you hear in your head, the better. Play with every piece of gear & guitar you can get your hands on. String 'em up together & see what works with what. It's the only way to fly IMO.
Vince is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-19-2006, 01:42 AM   #7
prototyping...

Durero is pretty much the man.Durero is pretty much the man.Durero is pretty much the man.Durero is pretty much the man.Durero is pretty much the man.Durero is pretty much the man.Durero is pretty much the man.Durero is pretty much the man.Durero is pretty much the man.Durero is pretty much the man.
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
This is probably obvious but I'll say it anyway: regarding eq - whenever I get a new piece of gear I set all the eq or tone controls to flat or neutral. Then I slowly move each knob to either extreme of its range, while playing a wide range of notes & chords, to get a sense of how it affects the tone by itself. It's the best way I know to get the feel of how each piece of gear can shape my tone.
Durero is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-19-2006, 01:26 PM   #8
Double Edge FTW

Regor shreds in his sleep.Regor shreds in his sleep.Regor shreds in his sleep.Regor shreds in his sleep.Regor shreds in his sleep.Regor shreds in his sleep.Regor shreds in his sleep.Regor shreds in his sleep.Regor shreds in his sleep.Regor shreds in his sleep.Regor shreds in his sleep.
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
definately an EQ of any sorts will help immensely. I have a 5 band parametric EQ and I get exactly what I'm looking for.
Regor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-20-2006, 04:25 PM   #9
Fear the Polo!

Drew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnate
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nik View Post
Tone comes from the fingers, so work on developing your technique in a unique way Actually, that's true to a certain extent, but obviously other stuff plays a big part as well.
This is a hugely underappreciated part of the tonal equation. Honestly, you want to sound better? Practice unplugged, and really listen to how the guitar responds when you hit it. My legato technique improved like tenfold when I started practicing legato licks unplugged - suddenly my notes weren't blurring together as much and were clearer with a more defined attack, since I basically HAD to play cleaner and more accurately without all that gain to hide behind.

Aside, from that, I'm a tonal purist - I think the easiest way to get great tone is to take a great sounding guitar with afresh set of strings, run it through a decent cable into a great sounding and responsive amp (I like tubes, but I've played some excellent SS rigs), and leave it at that. I like a bit of light delay, but my experience is that when in doubt the least amount of effect processing you can get away with will always sound better and more "real" in a mix, relative to a track doused in compression, delay, chorus, reverb, flanger, and gain. Additionally, more often than not you'll get a better attack with LESS gain, rather than more. it lets the sound of the guitar breathe a bit more.

"...and everything under the sun is in tune, but the sun is eclipsed by the moon."

http://www.metalguitarist.org
Drew is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-20-2006, 04:33 PM   #10
{##[====:::.

Leon is Odin incarnateLeon is Odin incarnateLeon is Odin incarnateLeon is Odin incarnateLeon is Odin incarnateLeon is Odin incarnateLeon is Odin incarnateLeon is Odin incarnateLeon is Odin incarnateLeon is Odin incarnateLeon is Odin incarnateLeon is Odin incarnateLeon is Odin incarnateLeon is Odin incarnate
Feedback Score: 20 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdweller View Post
Play with every piece of gear & guitar you can get your hands on. String 'em up together & see what works with what.

Leon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-20-2006, 05:18 PM   #11
Army Without A Flag

All_Ľour_Bass is shredding to new heights.All_Ľour_Bass is shredding to new heights.All_Ľour_Bass is shredding to new heights.All_Ľour_Bass is shredding to new heights.All_Ľour_Bass is shredding to new heights.All_Ľour_Bass is shredding to new heights.All_Ľour_Bass is shredding to new heights.
I have my tone pretty much where I want it, but I still don't know how to get more sustain without compressing the living shit out of my playing. That being said, I'm a big Pink Floyd / David Gilmour fan, so you can see where I'm comming from.

No Nation. No Philosophy. No Ideology.
All_Ľour_Bass is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-20-2006, 06:37 PM   #12
{##[====:::.

Leon is Odin incarnateLeon is Odin incarnateLeon is Odin incarnateLeon is Odin incarnateLeon is Odin incarnateLeon is Odin incarnateLeon is Odin incarnateLeon is Odin incarnateLeon is Odin incarnateLeon is Odin incarnateLeon is Odin incarnateLeon is Odin incarnateLeon is Odin incarnateLeon is Odin incarnate
Feedback Score: 20 reviews
if you're looking for more sustain, perhaps you need a new guitar?

Leon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-20-2006, 07:07 PM   #13
Nik
Arrogant asshole

Quote:
Originally Posted by All_Ľour_Bass View Post
I have my tone pretty much where I want it, but I still don't know how to get more sustain without compressing the living shit out of my playing. That being said, I'm a big Pink Floyd / David Gilmour fan, so you can see where I'm comming from.
Sustainer

Or you could get one of those E-Bows. They look pretty sweet, although they look better for slower stuff and not very comfy for shredding.

----------------------
Unread 11-20-2006, 09:59 PM   #14
Fear the Polo!

Drew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnate
Quote:
Sustainer

Or you could get one of those E-Bows. They look pretty sweet, although they look better for slower stuff and not very comfy for shredding.
...though, for shred-ier stuff, you don't really NEED three minutes of sustain.

The problem with an Ebow, though, is they're not really meant to be used with a distorted guitar amp - they recommend you use your neck pickup on the clean channel with the volume rolled back at the guitar. The thing has enough output that even that'll get you liquid, saturated sustain. You don't HAVE to use it this way - I love how it sounds on the bridge pickup in harmonic mode with the volume up, clean but held over the fretboard - but with that LED, if you use it on a saturated amp you're likely to get a lot of hiss.

"...and everything under the sun is in tune, but the sun is eclipsed by the moon."

Unread 11-20-2006, 10:27 PM   #15
Nik
Arrogant asshole

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew View Post
...though, for shred-ier stuff, you don't really NEED three minutes of sustain.

The problem with an Ebow, though, is they're not really meant to be used with a distorted guitar amp - they recommend you use your neck pickup on the clean channel with the volume rolled back at the guitar. The thing has enough output that even that'll get you liquid, saturated sustain. You don't HAVE to use it this way - I love how it sounds on the bridge pickup in harmonic mode with the volume up, clean but held over the fretboard - but with that LED, if you use it on a saturated amp you're likely to get a lot of hiss.
I'm sure you could use it like a violin bow and shred with it. In fact, that'd sound pretty interesting, I don't think I've heard anyone doing that.

But otherwise, point-taken

I didn't know you couldn't use distortion with it (although I don't find it surprising, I guess it makes sense.). That's somewhat disappointing... Although doesn't Petrucci use an E-Bow to sustain a distorted chord for like a minute in "Space-Dye Vest"?

----------------------
Unread 11-20-2006, 10:32 PM   #16
Fear the Polo!

Quote:
I'm sure you could use it like a violin bow and shred with it. In fact, that'd sound pretty interesting, I don't think I've heard anyone doing that.

But otherwise, point-taken

I didn't know you couldn't use distortion with it (although I don't find it surprising, I guess it makes sense.). That's somewhat disappointing... Although doesn't Petrucci use an E-Bow to sustain a distorted chord for like a minute in "Space-Dye Vest"?
I'm pretty sure SDV is basically just crushing amp gain by the end of the song, but it's alledgedly possible to sweep it back and forth from well above the strings to help a chord sustain.

Of course, the thing slams your preamp hard enough that even on your clean channel it sounds like it's pretty damned overdriven...

Unread 11-20-2006, 10:39 PM   #17
Nik
Arrogant asshole

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew View Post
I'm pretty sure SDV is basically just crushing amp gain by the end of the song, but it's alledgedly possible to sweep it back and forth from well above the strings to help a chord sustain.

Of course, the thing slams your preamp hard enough that even on your clean channel it sounds like it's pretty damned overdriven...
I think there was a list on the E-bow website of songs that use the E-bow, and Space Dye Vest was one of them.

Sounds cool, though, I might pick one up for Christmas or something

----------------------
Unread 11-20-2006, 10:45 PM   #18
Fear the Polo!

I need to break out my copy again - I KNOW that the last couple chords are at least partially straight-up amp distortion, because frankly an ebow doesn't "crunch" like that. However, my guess was always that there were distorted chords in the background, but some ebow lead lines harmonized on top.

I know what I'm listening to on the drive to work tomorrow.