homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   photo gallery   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > Music Discussion > Recording Studio
LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter

Recording Studio Discussion on everything recording based, such as mixing, mastering, mics, monitors and other gear.

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Pedrojoca
  • 1 Post By nojyeloot

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 09-08-2011, 03:17 PM   #1
ss.org Regular

Phreeck will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Axe-Fx & Redwirez Question

Hey,

I see a lot of people talking about using the Axe-Fx with Redwirez cab simulators.

Is the point to take away from this that a 2000 piece of kit can't emulate cabs as well as some $100 software? So the idea is to use the axe to emulate the head and then the software for the cab?

Or am I missing something?
Phreeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
Seven String

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 09-08-2011, 04:44 PM   #2
Gear Whore

Pedrojoca is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
ermm erm

now seriously...

Axe Fx comes stock with it's own cab simulator, which is one of the best there are, at least from the ones that are modelled after real cabs. Basically, they analyzed the changes (or EQing) that a certain cab does to a sound and modelled their cabs after it.
Impulses, on the other hand, are actually made from real equipment, from the cabs they represent without changing the sound a single bit (well, actually it's impossible to be 100% accurate).
Check this out: The Impulse FAQ/Tutorial Thread
So, the axe fx cab sim is good enough to record and gig with, but if you can use a nearly identical version of the actual cab (Impulses), why the hell would you want to use the cab sim. Well, actually this applies if the impulses are really well made (redwirez case), plus if a cab sim did an original cab, instead of just copying real ones and tweaking it to "perfection", maybe it would be more useful. Not bashing cab sims here
Pedrojoca is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-08-2011, 05:33 PM   #3
Resident Studio Nerd

KingAenarion is a glorious beacon of lightKingAenarion is a glorious beacon of lightKingAenarion is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedrojoca View Post
ermm erm

now seriously...

Axe Fx comes stock with it's own cab simulator, which is one of the best there are, at least from the ones that are modelled after real cabs. Basically, they analyzed the changes (or EQing) that a certain cab does to a sound and modelled their cabs after it.
Impulses, on the other hand, are actually made from real equipment, from the cabs they represent without changing the sound a single bit (well, actually it's impossible to be 100% accurate).
Check this out: The Impulse FAQ/Tutorial Thread
So, the axe fx cab sim is good enough to record and gig with, but if you can use a nearly identical version of the actual cab (Impulses), why the hell would you want to use the cab sim. Well, actually this applies if the impulses are really well made (redwirez case), plus if a cab sim did an original cab, instead of just copying real ones and tweaking it to "perfection", maybe it would be more useful. Not bashing cab sims here
Incorrect

The AxeFX uses Impulses...

The impulses it uses in the original aren't as good as the impulses Redwirez make (which are some, if not THE best JUST cabinet impulses out there). In the original there are spots for user chosen Impulses (which a lot of people filled with Redwirez)

The AxeFX II has Redwirez included.

Putting Redwirez in an AxeFX one is like putting a turbocharger in your car. The car runs great without the turbocharger... but with it it's something special.

My band - Ex Curia - Prog metal in an Opeth meets Machine Head kind of way
KingAenarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-08-2011, 06:03 PM   #4
☻☺☻☼☺☻☺

danieluber1337 is a jewel in the rough
Yep. It uses impulses.

I'd use iFace to pick the cab, too. Unless you've bought/you're going to buy the whole cab set. IDK if the RedWirez convolver does this, but iFace allows you to blend two cabs, EQ and create an IR file from it, so you get two cab IRs and EQ all in one IR file. Though I'd prefer to do the EQ on the Axe-FX...

"i think you are right - the bass seems lower than the guitars" - Jogeta

Inside Black Mesa - Progressive Metal

WIP - Would love feedback!

Multitracking Guitars - A Short Guide - by yours truly!
danieluber1337 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-09-2011, 06:46 AM   #5
ss.org Regular

Phreeck will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Ok guys, thanks for clearing that up for me
Phreeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-09-2011, 03:48 PM   #6
Murder Machine

Sepultorture is a glorious beacon of lightSepultorture is a glorious beacon of lightSepultorture is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by danieluber1337 View Post
Yep. It uses impulses.

I'd use iFace to pick the cab, too. Unless you've bought/you're going to buy the whole cab set. IDK if the RedWirez convolver does this, but iFace allows you to blend two cabs, EQ and create an IR file from it, so you get two cab IRs and EQ all in one IR file. Though I'd prefer to do the EQ on the Axe-FX...
the Redwirez convolver does let you combine 2 cabs, maybe more i think, check out what it does on the website, but it does let you select 2 cabs for sure

BEARDS: They Instantly Turn Any Man Into A Badass, It's Like Having Machine Guns On Your Face
Sepultorture is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-10-2011, 04:56 AM   #7
Gear Whore

Pedrojoca is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingAenarion View Post
Incorrect

The AxeFX uses Impulses...

The impulses it uses in the original aren't as good as the impulses Redwirez make (which are some, if not THE best JUST cabinet impulses out there). In the original there are spots for user chosen Impulses (which a lot of people filled with Redwirez)

The AxeFX II has Redwirez included.

Putting Redwirez in an AxeFX one is like putting a turbocharger in your car. The car runs great without the turbocharger... but with it it's something special.
ooops... i really thought they were modelled.... silly me
nojyeloot likes this.
Pedrojoca is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-28-2011, 09:42 AM   #8
Mike / Made Of Hate

Crank is a jewel in the rough
did any of you install those redwirez cabs on axe-fx ultra? I'm thinking about it and I'd use a help. What do I do? There is one free IR on Redwirez and I'd like to try it. Any steps?
Crank is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-28-2011, 11:40 AM   #9
Set up us the bomb

MF_Kitten is deemed true by Crom himselfMF_Kitten is deemed true by Crom himselfMF_Kitten is deemed true by Crom himselfMF_Kitten is deemed true by Crom himselfMF_Kitten is deemed true by Crom himselfMF_Kitten is deemed true by Crom himselfMF_Kitten is deemed true by Crom himselfMF_Kitten is deemed true by Crom himselfMF_Kitten is deemed true by Crom himselfMF_Kitten is deemed true by Crom himselfMF_Kitten is deemed true by Crom himselfMF_Kitten is deemed true by Crom himself
go look for the axe-fx manual, dude. or the wiki. just google it. Redwirez impulses come with axe-fx formatted files. i think the first axe-fx has to be connected via MIDI to transfer stuff? not sure how it works.

--------------------------------------
What will metal be doing in ten years? What ever Meshuggah will be doing in two.
-Anthony
MF_Kitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-28-2011, 11:55 AM   #10
Mike / Made Of Hate

yeah it's midi connection and I know that. I thought since we're in the topic someone could share it as 'easy steps'. Googling it I found this thread.

Redwirez cabs come with .syx files that are operated in Axe-Fx. But do I actually add them using axe-edit? Or is it drag-drop? I just don't know so I'm asking if someone did it and if so could he share the procedure in some easy-to-do-steps. That's all.
Unread 10-28-2011, 12:40 PM   #11
SS.org Regular

nojyeloot has much to be proud ofnojyeloot has much to be proud ofnojyeloot has much to be proud ofnojyeloot has much to be proud ofnojyeloot has much to be proud ofnojyeloot has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 13 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crank View Post
yeah it's midi connection and I know that. I thought since we're in the topic someone could share it as 'easy steps'. Googling it I found this thread.

Redwirez cabs come with .syx files that are operated in Axe-Fx. But do I actually add them using axe-edit? Or is it drag-drop? I just don't know so I'm asking if someone did it and if so could he share the procedure in some easy-to-do-steps. That's all.
I've done this a few times before, but most recently just did this again last night.

Use Axe Edit (once your Ultra is connect w/ a USB to MIDI interface):
  1. Click Axe Manage and you can drag/drop your .syx impulses under the "Cabs" area.
  2. THEN, in Axe Manage under "Cabs", right click each impulse you just dragged/dropped and send to one of the 10 cabinet banks (you'll see the progress bar at the bottom of the window move).
    Attachment 22459
  3. Once you've loaded all the impulses, click on "User Cabs" and you will see all your new cabs there, with a red circle icon to the left of the name. THEY'RE NOT ON YOUR AXEFX YET.
  4. Right click any of the impulses under "User Cabs" and go down to "Send to Axe FX" and select "All Cabs" or any other option you want.
    Attachment 22460
  5. You will now have these impulses available to you in your AxeFX
Crank likes this.

http://www.facebook.com/BristolGuitars | https://soundcloud.com/nojyeloot

"If anyone speaks badly of you, live so that no one believes it."[/FONT]

nojyeloot is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-28-2011, 12:51 PM   #12
Mike / Made Of Hate

thank you very much!!!
Unread 10-28-2011, 12:58 PM   #13
SS.org Regular

nojyeloot has much to be proud ofnojyeloot has much to be proud ofnojyeloot has much to be proud ofnojyeloot has much to be proud ofnojyeloot has much to be proud ofnojyeloot has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 13 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crank View Post
thank you very much!!!
Pleasure duder...

PS - I love the products of your country (Vik / Decapitated)...

http://www.facebook.com/BristolGuitars | https://soundcloud.com/nojyeloot

"If anyone speaks badly of you, live so that no one believes it."[/FONT]

nojyeloot is offline   Reply With Quote