homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   photo gallery   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > Music Discussion > Recording Studio
LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter

Recording Studio Discussion on everything recording based, such as mixing, mastering, mics, monitors and other gear.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 10-25-2006, 01:45 AM   #1
Vince is X!!!

Vince has an entire closet full of viking hats.Vince has an entire closet full of viking hats.Vince has an entire closet full of viking hats.Vince has an entire closet full of viking hats.Vince has an entire closet full of viking hats.Vince has an entire closet full of viking hats.Vince has an entire closet full of viking hats.Vince has an entire closet full of viking hats.Vince has an entire closet full of viking hats.Vince has an entire closet full of viking hats.Vince has an entire closet full of viking hats.Vince has an entire closet full of viking hats.Vince has an entire closet full of viking hats.
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Dropped C

When your heavy songs in dropped D just don't sound as heavy as the songs you play on 7-string....

...strap a set of 11-56 on that sixer and play in dropped-....ing-C.

I've never set up a guitar for dropped C before. .... dudes, this shit rules. I know a lot of you guys use this tuning, so .... you all for being ahead of me

Dropped C is Vince's new favorite tuning.
Vince is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
Seven String

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 10-25-2006, 01:47 AM   #2
SS Contributor

Seven is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I love that tuning, I've tuned and set-up my les paul for Ernie Ball 11's and it's tuned C-G-C-F-A-D, and it sounds damn good for some BLS and SOAD.
Seven is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-25-2006, 01:48 AM   #3
OldschoolGhettostyle

Naren has more eRep than he knows what to do with.Naren has more eRep than he knows what to do with.Naren has more eRep than he knows what to do with.Naren has more eRep than he knows what to do with.Naren has more eRep than he knows what to do with.Naren has more eRep than he knows what to do with.Naren has more eRep than he knows what to do with.Naren has more eRep than he knows what to do with.Naren has more eRep than he knows what to do with.Naren has more eRep than he knows what to do with.Naren has more eRep than he knows what to do with.Naren has more eRep than he knows what to do with.Naren has more eRep than he knows what to do with.Naren has more eRep than he knows what to do with.
I have my Les Paul tuned to 1-step down and then drop that low D to a C for drop-C as well. Very cool tunings.

My 7-string is in 1-step down, as well. But, since it's a floyd, I can't tune it to drop C when I want to.

But, yeah, the first time I ever used drop C was several years back when I wanted to write a really heavy low song and I originally wrote it in drop D, but it didn't sound heavy enough, so I dropped everything a full step. Sounded perfect after I did that.
Naren is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-25-2006, 01:56 AM   #4
Vince is X!!!

Vince has an entire closet full of viking hats.Vince has an entire closet full of viking hats.Vince has an entire closet full of viking hats.Vince has an entire closet full of viking hats.Vince has an entire closet full of viking hats.Vince has an entire closet full of viking hats.Vince has an entire closet full of viking hats.Vince has an entire closet full of viking hats.Vince has an entire closet full of viking hats.Vince has an entire closet full of viking hats.Vince has an entire closet full of viking hats.Vince has an entire closet full of viking hats.Vince has an entire closet full of viking hats.
dropped ....ing C for the win!! Here's a 20 sec clip of a piece I recorded today in dropped C. Motherlove the ....ing tone!

[MEDIA]http://www.vincelupone.com/mp3/vince....inglovesdroppedc.mp3[/MEDIA]

I ....ing love this tuning.
Unread 10-25-2006, 02:00 AM   #5
Banned

DSS3 is just really niceDSS3 is just really nice
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Sounds good to me, tone wise!

Honestly, though, the riff doesn't sound very original or insipiring, something I find to happen to most things I (and most other people) write in Drop C.
DSS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-25-2006, 02:11 AM   #6
Nick // Axe Palace

zimbloth is Odin incarnatezimbloth is Odin incarnatezimbloth is Odin incarnatezimbloth is Odin incarnatezimbloth is Odin incarnatezimbloth is Odin incarnatezimbloth is Odin incarnatezimbloth is Odin incarnatezimbloth is Odin incarnatezimbloth is Odin incarnatezimbloth is Odin incarnatezimbloth is Odin incarnatezimbloth is Odin incarnatezimbloth is Odin incarnatezimbloth is Odin incarnate
Feedback Score: 50 reviews
I like C standard tuning, not a fan of the drop D configuration.

DSS: Thats probably because 99% of metalcore bands tune that way. I think his riff is pretty cool though.
zimbloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-25-2006, 02:16 AM   #7
Canis lupis obscurus

The Dark Wolf is Odin incarnateThe Dark Wolf is Odin incarnateThe Dark Wolf is Odin incarnateThe Dark Wolf is Odin incarnateThe Dark Wolf is Odin incarnateThe Dark Wolf is Odin incarnateThe Dark Wolf is Odin incarnateThe Dark Wolf is Odin incarnateThe Dark Wolf is Odin incarnateThe Dark Wolf is Odin incarnateThe Dark Wolf is Odin incarnateThe Dark Wolf is Odin incarnateThe Dark Wolf is Odin incarnateThe Dark Wolf is Odin incarnate
I play my 7 in drop C.

And my low string in drop F. Keeps me out of that drop-tuning rut, DSS-whatever mentions, having those wierd open bass strings F-C-G-C.
The Dark Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-25-2006, 02:20 AM   #8
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by zimbloth
I like C standard tuning, not a fan of the drop D configuration.

DSS: Thats probably because 99% of metalcore bands tune that way. I think his riff is pretty cool though.
Most definitely - it's just overused and there's not much to do with it IMO. There's only a couple guys really innovating with dropped low string tunings lately - LoG and Arsis.
Unread 10-25-2006, 02:24 AM   #9
Nick // Axe Palace

zimbloth is Odin incarnatezimbloth is Odin incarnatezimbloth is Odin incarnatezimbloth is Odin incarnatezimbloth is Odin incarnatezimbloth is Odin incarnatezimbloth is Odin incarnatezimbloth is Odin incarnatezimbloth is Odin incarnatezimbloth is Odin incarnatezimbloth is Odin incarnatezimbloth is Odin incarnatezimbloth is Odin incarnatezimbloth is Odin incarnatezimbloth is Odin incarnate
Eh... I couldn't disagree more. I don't think LoG does anything remotely interesting. I also think your "anything below C# sucks" crusade you're on right now is pretty ridiculous.
Unread 10-25-2006, 02:25 AM   #10
Vince is X!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Wolf
I play my 7 in drop C.

And my low string in drop F. Keeps me out of that drop-tuning rut, DSS-whatever mentions, having those wierd open bass strings F-C-G-C.
you know, it was fun tuning the bass down to the dropped C config. I tuned C-C-G-C-F, on the 5-string (using a standard light-gauge Ernie Ball string set), and it was pretty cool having my choice of using either the big, bassy 5th string for the root notes, or using the lighter, flappier 4th string. I used both on my recordings today. I pulled a 12 hour session today, recording tons of guitars & bass, then mixing all of it.

On that note, I'm going to ....ing bed
Unread 10-25-2006, 02:25 AM   #11
Canis lupis obscurus

The Dark Wolf is Odin incarnateThe Dark Wolf is Odin incarnateThe Dark Wolf is Odin incarnateThe Dark Wolf is Odin incarnateThe Dark Wolf is Odin incarnateThe Dark Wolf is Odin incarnateThe Dark Wolf is Odin incarnateThe Dark Wolf is Odin incarnateThe Dark Wolf is Odin incarnateThe Dark Wolf is Odin incarnateThe Dark Wolf is Odin incarnateThe Dark Wolf is Odin incarnateThe Dark Wolf is Odin incarnateThe Dark Wolf is Odin incarnate
Quote:
Eh... I couldn't disagree more. I don't think LoG does anything remotely interesting. I also think your "anything below C# sucks" crusade you're on right now is pretty ridiculous.
Hmm. Odd. Because I completely disgaree with part 1 of your contention, Nick, but I completely agree with part 2.

Go figure.
Unread 10-25-2006, 02:26 AM   #12
Nick // Axe Palace

Vince: Your tone is sounding real nice so far, congrats.

Bob: That's cool. I don't hate Lamb of God, they just bore me basically. I'm not really into modern american bands for the most part. Not my style.
Unread 10-25-2006, 02:27 AM   #13
Canis lupis obscurus

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdweller
you know, it was fun tuning the bass down to the dropped C config. I tuned C-C-G-C-F, on the 5-string, and it was pretty cool having my choice of using either the big, bassy 5th string for the root notes, or using the lighter, flappier 4th string. I used both on my recordings today. I pulled a 12 hour session today, recording tons of guitars & bass, then mixing all of it.

On that note, I'm going to ....ing bed
If you want to ever try to double drop route like me (I think no one does. Most are too sane ) and you want the bass to match, you need an insanely think bass string to go low F. (My old bass player was tuned to it on his 6-string Alavarez. Sounded good.)

What was it... .168 I think? Something like that. Just beastly.
Unread 10-25-2006, 02:28 AM   #14
Vince is X!!!

LoG's music =

LoG's vocals =

I have friends that are hardcore into lamb of god. I love listening to their new stuff, but their singer does grate on me after awhile. Still, they'd be a ....ing great band to see live. I'd definitely be in the pit for that one.

TDW, I'm not going to low F
Unread 10-25-2006, 02:31 AM   #15
Canis lupis obscurus

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdweller
TDW, I'm not going to low F
If you ever hung with me for a week or 2 you would.

You'd at least ....ing try it!
Unread 10-25-2006, 02:38 AM   #16
Vince is X!!!

of course I would

I'd love to hang out with you for a week or two. Get the .... out of Toledo and out to our dirt basin, you ass
Unread 10-25-2006, 02:42 AM   #17
OldschoolGhettostyle

Naren has more eRep than he knows what to do with.Naren has more eRep than he knows what to do with.Naren has more eRep than he knows what to do with.Naren has more eRep than he knows what to do with.Naren has more eRep than he knows what to do with.Naren has more eRep than he knows what to do with.Naren has more eRep than he knows what to do with.Naren has more eRep than he knows what to do with.Naren has more eRep than he knows what to do with.Naren has more eRep than he knows what to do with.Naren has more eRep than he knows what to do with.Naren has more eRep than he knows what to do with.Naren has more eRep than he knows what to do with.Naren has more eRep than he knows what to do with.
Awesome riffs, Vince. And very cool tone.

Quote:
Again personal taste. I think Lamb Of God's riffs are the most interesting out there right now.

I very rarely play in drop tunings. In bands where I used my hardtail, I would play 90% of songs in standard intervals (either standard or one step down) and the other 10% in a drop tuning (drop-D or drop-C). I don't think I could ever be in a band where every song was in a dropped tuning. I write a lot of stuff in dropped tunings that I wouldn't write in standard. But, I feel very restricted in a drop tuning. In a normal tuning, I feel free and I can write anything. That's just how I feel.

Quote:
If you ever hung with me for a week or 2 you would.

You'd at least ....ing try it!
Dude, I thought your tuning sounded great, but I would never tune to that. If I moved back to the Toledo area and we got in a band together, I would just play something different when you were playing that low F. Maybe you'd be tuned to your FCGCFAD and I'd be in my ADGCFAD (or, like the good old days, BEADGBE. That might be a good idea).

The F works for you, but not for me.

Last edited by Naren; 10-25-2006 at 02:45 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Unread 10-25-2006, 02:55 AM   #18
Canis lupis obscurus

I my tuning.

But not for low chugga chugga. Really, A is low enough. I just love the chord and riff shapes I get with it. And all the different keys that seem to open up. Most liberating thing I ever did for my playing.
Unread 10-25-2006, 02:55 AM   #19
Banned

Quote:
Seriously - who is doing anything even remotely new with drop D, drop C, drop B, or drop Bb?
Unread 10-25-2006, 03:23 AM   #20
Nick // Axe Palace

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSS3
Seriously - who is doing anything even remotely new with drop D, drop C, drop B, or drop Bb?
I don't really disagree with you there. If you were talking about C standard or Bb standard though, I'd have to disagree
Unread 10-25-2006, 03:43 AM   #21
Hylian Metal Master

Ryan deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.Ryan deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.Ryan deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.Ryan deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.Ryan deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.Ryan deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.Ryan deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.Ryan deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.Ryan deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.Ryan deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.Ryan deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.Ryan deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.Ryan deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.Ryan deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
I try not to judge bands/players on if their riffage is completely original or not. Most everything has been done before, in one form or another. If it sounds good, it sounds good. ...Everyone's a ....in critic these days; out to prove how much more their taste is distinguished than others. /rant sorry

I like your riff Vince. It sounds good ;D
Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-25-2006, 03:49 AM   #22
OldschoolGhettostyle

I agree, Ryan.

Oftentimes I'll hear a band and be really getting into their riffs and solos and vocals, then someone comes along and calls them "unoriginal" or "uninspired." Of course, then they cite some boring band like "Nevermore" as being a really original and interesting band (obviously, in my opinion, I don't think they are).

Really... everyone's a critic. Geez.

I liked Vince's riff too, by the way.
Unread 10-25-2006, 04:04 AM   #23
Canis lupis obscurus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naren
I agree, Ryan.

Oftentimes I'll hear a band and be really getting into their riffs and solos and vocals, then someone comes along and calls them "unoriginal" or "uninspired." Of course, then they cite some boring band like "Nevermore" as being a really original and interesting band (obviously, in my opinion, I don't think they are).

Really... everyone's a critic. Geez.

I liked Vince's riff too, by the way.
Hey! I love Nevermore. I think they're terrific.

But there's not a lot I don't like. I guess, generally, anything that doesn't sound overly much like it's just trying to remove my money from my wallet.

BTW, I also thought Vince's riff sounded A-1. In fact, I steal it!

Ok, I kid. Great riff, though.
Unread 10-25-2006, 04:45 AM   #24
OldschoolGhettostyle

Quote:
Hey! I love Nevermore. I think they're terrific.

But there's not a lot I don't like. I guess, generally, anything that doesn't sound overly much like it's just trying to remove my money from my wallet.

BTW, I also thought Vince's riff sounded A-1. In fact, I steal it!

Ok, I kid. Great riff, though.
Yeah, I know. I was exaggerating a bit. The only thing I don't like about Nevermore is the singer's voice - and I guess even that could grow on me. I just don't see why everyone worships Loomis. I don't think his riffs or solos are particularly unique or special. Eh, just my opinion. If everyone had the same opinion, this world would be quite boring.

I'm pretty open when it comes to music as well. When I went to Loud Park, there were 36 bands there and there were only like 2-3 that I saw that I didn't like (and I didn't hate them either. I just didn't care for them).

You got that extra seven all set up for me?
Unread 10-25-2006, 08:02 AM   #25
ss.org Regular

Roundhouse_Kick is a glorious beacon of lightRoundhouse_Kick is a glorious beacon of lightRoundhouse_Kick is a glorious beacon of light
Wow, I would actually call nevermore one of the most original and inspiring bands around haha! Ah well......

That riff was badass vince, had a cool arch enemy vibe to it!
Roundhouse_Kick is offline   Reply With Quote