homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   photo gallery   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > Music Discussion > Recording Studio
Heritage Guitar Talk - Click here! LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter

Recording Studio Discussion on everything recording based, such as mixing, mastering, mics, monitors and other gear.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 10-16-2006, 12:45 PM   #1
SS.org Regular

Parka Dez is a splendid one to beholdParka Dez is a splendid one to beholdParka Dez is a splendid one to beholdParka Dez is a splendid one to beholdParka Dez is a splendid one to behold
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
First song using DFHS

Hey guys,

This is the first time i have used DFHS so dont be too harsh on me! This is still a rough mix, ill get the proper one done during the week.

http://www.bareknucklepickups.co.uk/...pic.php?t=5661

Tell me what you think

Cheers

Edit: I tried to update the file, but it deleted it and wouldn't let me upload anymore, so check it out here

http://download.yousendit.com/C16B0E1C5C807912
Parka Dez is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-16-2006, 12:48 PM   #2
SS.org Regular

Makelele is shredding to new heights.Makelele is shredding to new heights.Makelele is shredding to new heights.Makelele is shredding to new heights.Makelele is shredding to new heights.Makelele is shredding to new heights.Makelele is shredding to new heights.
Link isn't working.

Now I lay me down to sleep
Blah, blah, blah my soul to keep
If I die before I wake
I'll go to hell for heaven's sake
Makelele is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-16-2006, 01:15 PM   #3
SS.org Regular

Parka Dez is a splendid one to beholdParka Dez is a splendid one to beholdParka Dez is a splendid one to beholdParka Dez is a splendid one to beholdParka Dez is a splendid one to behold
Fixed, sorry about that! Thanks for telling me.
Unread 10-16-2006, 01:33 PM   #4
SS.org Regular

Makelele is shredding to new heights.Makelele is shredding to new heights.Makelele is shredding to new heights.Makelele is shredding to new heights.Makelele is shredding to new heights.Makelele is shredding to new heights.Makelele is shredding to new heights.
As far as I can tell, the drums sound fine. I also like the guitar tone. Sounds a bit like Meshuggah, except the riffs are more varied (ie not just chugging on the low-whatever meshuggah tune to). I liked it.

Now I lay me down to sleep
Blah, blah, blah my soul to keep
If I die before I wake
I'll go to hell for heaven's sake
Makelele is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-16-2006, 01:42 PM   #5
ALL HAIL DJOD

Rick is Odin incarnateRick is Odin incarnateRick is Odin incarnateRick is Odin incarnateRick is Odin incarnateRick is Odin incarnateRick is Odin incarnateRick is Odin incarnateRick is Odin incarnateRick is Odin incarnateRick is Odin incarnateRick is Odin incarnateRick is Odin incarnateRick is Odin incarnate
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Very nice!

Head of Agile Gestapo

Line 6 XDS95-->Line 6 POD X3 Pro-->Matrix GT800FX-->Line 6 Spidervalve 4x12 cabinet
Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-16-2006, 01:54 PM   #6
wake up dead

7slinger is a splendid one to behold7slinger is a splendid one to behold7slinger is a splendid one to behold7slinger is a splendid one to behold7slinger is a splendid one to behold
Feedback Score: 25 reviews
that's some really good stuff, tell us some particulars,
like what software you used for recording, what guitars,
amps, mics, that stuff...
7slinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-16-2006, 07:04 PM   #7
Banned

DSS3 is just really niceDSS3 is just really nice
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Sounds like you just got DFHS .

Try out some of the production settings that Thordendal included with the "sonor of metal" pack.
DSS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-16-2006, 07:20 PM   #8
blah!

nyck is just really nicenyck is just really nice
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Sweet riffage dude!
nyck is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-16-2006, 07:32 PM   #9
Canis lupis obscurus

The Dark Wolf is Odin incarnateThe Dark Wolf is Odin incarnateThe Dark Wolf is Odin incarnateThe Dark Wolf is Odin incarnateThe Dark Wolf is Odin incarnateThe Dark Wolf is Odin incarnateThe Dark Wolf is Odin incarnateThe Dark Wolf is Odin incarnateThe Dark Wolf is Odin incarnateThe Dark Wolf is Odin incarnateThe Dark Wolf is Odin incarnateThe Dark Wolf is Odin incarnateThe Dark Wolf is Odin incarnateThe Dark Wolf is Odin incarnate
That shit is ill, son. ....ing righteously badass.

I approve.
The Dark Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-16-2006, 07:40 PM   #10
SS.org Regular

Vegetta has much to be proud ofVegetta has much to be proud ofVegetta has much to be proud ofVegetta has much to be proud ofVegetta has much to be proud ofVegetta has much to be proud ofVegetta has much to be proud of

awesome tone man

this space for rent
Vegetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-16-2006, 08:41 PM   #11
ss.org Regular

rcfreak7772000 will become famous soon enough
shit :O i dig, i dig

i like the bass drum sound, lots of click,

add some bass and this would be on my mp3 player for awhile

good job, makes me want to buy a good computer so i could used dfh :P
rcfreak7772000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-16-2006, 08:50 PM   #12
SS.org Regular

Thanks guys! Much appreciated. The tune is actually a new tune for my band ( www.myspace.com/thesafetyfire ). Im going to give it a proper good mix during the week and will repost the remix of it.

In all honesty I probably wont redo the drums, Im far too lazy! However thanks for the tips DSS3, I will check them out.

For the recording setup I used a POD XT Pro, an Mbox, Pro Tools, DFHS and the standard PT plugins. Thanks for the comments on the riffs, it is much appreciated. This is a sort of one off really really heavy tune for the band, so glad to see people like it.

Thanks again!
Unread 10-16-2006, 10:30 PM   #13
Hylian Metal Master

Ryan deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.Ryan deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.Ryan deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.Ryan deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.Ryan deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.Ryan deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.Ryan deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.Ryan deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.Ryan deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.Ryan deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.Ryan deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.Ryan deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.Ryan deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.Ryan deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
nice writing man
Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-17-2006, 07:22 AM   #14
Desk Magnetic

Lozek has much to be proud ofLozek has much to be proud ofLozek has much to be proud ofLozek has much to be proud ofLozek has much to be proud ofLozek has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
That's sounding pretty good man. Are you running that via battery or the actual DFH gui?

Got some tips for if you're running a battery version, don't know if you could do the same via the DFH gui as I've never seen it.

To get your kicks more authentic, use two kicks as you would physically on a kit, get them virtually identical but then alter the tuning of one by literally one increment. It'll be hard to tell the difference unless you're sitting there A/Bing them against each other slowly, but in a song format it seems to add to the authenticity

On my kits, I link a set of close mic'd samples with a set of rooms samples at a much lower volume. If you do it really subtley, again it creates an almost subliminal effect of it being a real kit.

On your track, I felt that the snare was slightly distant, I'm not sure if it was sample choice or volume. Perhaps the same with the overheads just a touch? I think you might benefit from perhaps dropping the level of your kick drums slightly, and then adding an overall compression to the kit. That seems to make everything sound bigger and more 'in your face' but also gets good seperation from the other instruments.

But those are my opinions and it's all subjective
Lozek is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-17-2006, 09:01 AM   #15
SS Contributor

Ancestor is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Ancestor is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Ancestor is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Ancestor is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Ancestor is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Ancestor is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Ancestor is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/
Yeah, man, that is the shit. Production is really good, too.
Ancestor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-17-2006, 11:02 AM   #16
SS.org Regular

Thanks for the comments guys.
Here is a new mix of it

I tried out a few of the things you said Lozek. Im actually using the superior sampler.

The main problem im finding now, is that my songs are ....ing quiet compared to cd's, like nowhere near the volume. Any advice anyone?
Unread 10-17-2006, 11:08 AM   #17
Canis lupis obscurus

The Dark Wolf is Odin incarnateThe Dark Wolf is Odin incarnateThe Dark Wolf is Odin incarnateThe Dark Wolf is Odin incarnateThe Dark Wolf is Odin incarnateThe Dark Wolf is Odin incarnateThe Dark Wolf is Odin incarnateThe Dark Wolf is Odin incarnateThe Dark Wolf is Odin incarnateThe Dark Wolf is Odin incarnateThe Dark Wolf is Odin incarnateThe Dark Wolf is Odin incarnateThe Dark Wolf is Odin incarnateThe Dark Wolf is Odin incarnate
Quote:
Originally Posted by lepersmeesa
Thanks for the comments guys.
Here is a new mix of it

I tried out a few of the things you said Lozek. Im actually using the superior sampler.

The main problem im finding now, is that my songs are ....ing quiet compared to cd's, like nowhere near the volume. Any advice anyone?
Stereo compression and a good limiter on the master. The Waves L2 Limiter is really good for volume maximumization.

For quick and dirty stuff, I'll run a compressor > multiband EQ > limiter on my master tracks. Will get you into CD volume territory, if you desire. I'm no pro, however. Just an amateur who's learning, with a bit of education behind him.

Desertdweller could give you good tips for stuff, I'm sure.

Y'know what's funny? I didn't even realize you were part of that band The Safety Fire, but when I first heard this new song, I thought, "Wow. That sounds liek it would be great for that crazy British DEP/Meshuggah band I heard awhile back." I was thinking of you guys. I could hear your singer over that song in my head.

Stuff sounds amazing, man.
The Dark Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-17-2006, 11:33 AM   #18
SS.org Regular

Thanks Dark Wolf!! Your comments are really encouraging as we are sending some demo's of the new songs to some people, which could be extremely important. So thanks for that, made me smile! Im surprised you heard my band, was it off this forum?

Thanks for the advice as well, I may need to invest in some waves plugins, they sound goood!
Unread 10-22-2006, 11:04 AM   #19
SS.org Regular

ChaNce is just really niceChaNce is just really nice
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Wolf
Stereo compression and a good limiter on the master. The Waves L2 Limiter is really good for volume maximumization.

For quick and dirty stuff, I'll run a compressor > multiband EQ > limiter on my master tracks. Will get you into CD volume territory, if you desire. I'm no pro, however. Just an amateur who's learning, with a bit of education behind him.
This opens a WHOLE huge can of worms. There is a huge number of resources related to mastering on the web (Gearslutz.com or tweakheadz.com are two) but every expert in this area will tell you one thing:

Using software limiters and compressors on the bus to make your songs "CD loud" is a really bad idea. The problem is that all of the dynamics get squished out of the music.

A much better option is to use one of the indy mastering houses that uses analog equipment to master. One is Massive Mastering (massivemastering.com) Listen to the examples, he/they do a really good job. He also does a ton of heavy guitar-oriented music, and has a knack for getting the bottom end tightened up and powerful.

Also, the waves plugins are REALLY expensive. If you insist on doing yourself, look for the UAD-1 card and software, it sounds very nice (analog-y), and has high resale value. Look on ebay.
ChaNce is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-22-2006, 06:39 PM   #20
zombie

irg7620 is a jewel in the rough
i really like this clip. very well done. the drums sound somewhat what i am going to go for when i start putting my cd together. keep up the good work. excellent guitar tone as well.

We all need to be adopting green energy sources: solar, wind, alternative fuels. we only have one planet to live on.

www.sefdtufftruck.com
irg7620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-22-2006, 06:56 PM   #21
SS Contributor

Rev2010 is pretty damn metal.Rev2010 is pretty damn metal.Rev2010 is pretty damn metal.Rev2010 is pretty damn metal.Rev2010 is pretty damn metal.Rev2010 is pretty damn metal.Rev2010 is pretty damn metal.Rev2010 is pretty damn metal.
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Sounds great man!! Keep up the good work

Rev.

Rev2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-28-2006, 10:58 AM   #22
ss.org Regular

smueske is a jewel in the rough
It's expired. Perhaps get a soundclick account and upload it there. It's free and it doesn't expire.
smueske is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-28-2006, 05:00 PM   #23
SS.org Regular

I made an account. But everytime I upload my song, the hifi version is like slightly slower then the lofi version. With the lofi, being the correct one.

Any ideas anyone

www.soundclick.com/parkadez