homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   photo gallery   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > Music Discussion > Recording Studio
LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter

Recording Studio Discussion on everything recording based, such as mixing, mastering, mics, monitors and other gear.

Like Tree46Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 04-10-2011, 03:21 AM   #76
GHETTO KING OF SWAG

The Reverend is shredding to new heights.The Reverend is shredding to new heights.The Reverend is shredding to new heights.The Reverend is shredding to new heights.The Reverend is shredding to new heights.The Reverend is shredding to new heights.The Reverend is shredding to new heights.The Reverend is shredding to new heights.
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
If prizes means a bunch of rep or something kinda inconsequential, then maybe. I would think the prestige of being that week's winner would be enough .

And Psyy, we tried the hour thing, but with the number of people across the globe, there would be no ideal time to start it, and it would have to get unnecessarily complex to be feasible. I'm banking on no one utilizing the full 24-hours to work on a song, since a lot of us have either school or work or familial obligations that take up most of our time. In the spirit of fun, try to limit yourself to an hour.

As far as a leader or organizer or what have you...I'll volunteer, unless one of you wiser, more established members would like to do the honors. Even better yet, a mod? Fancy forum editing skills would be useful .

With the time scale being bumped up to a day, having to meet up in a chatroom might not be necessary anymore. We could just pick a theme, post it in a thread, and then await links. Instead of voting, we could count likes (and finally put them to good use ) and that would declare the winner!

Let's keep the ideas coming!

EDIT: 'd by everyone. Curse my slow typing speeds.

If you're going to 'like' my posts, give me some rep instead.

"
i just laughed at my own reflection, not sure if ugly or drunk" -Murmel

The Reverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
Seven String

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 04-10-2011, 03:22 AM   #77
Ex Whiny Bitch

Scar Symmetry is a happy camper.Scar Symmetry is a happy camper.Scar Symmetry is a happy camper.Scar Symmetry is a happy camper.Scar Symmetry is a happy camper.Scar Symmetry is a happy camper.Scar Symmetry is a happy camper.Scar Symmetry is a happy camper.Scar Symmetry is a happy camper.Scar Symmetry is a happy camper.Scar Symmetry is a happy camper.Scar Symmetry is a happy camper.Scar Symmetry is a happy camper.
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
All this time I've never to thought to ask the OP how this is done on the community where he got the idea from?

What happened to Jeff? Funny how he dropped off the radar now that the entire Western world disagrees with his right wing bullshit.
Scar Symmetry is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-10-2011, 03:26 AM   #78
Another Sinking Shit

Kurkkuviipale is pretty damn metal.Kurkkuviipale is pretty damn metal.Kurkkuviipale is pretty damn metal.Kurkkuviipale is pretty damn metal.Kurkkuviipale is pretty damn metal.Kurkkuviipale is pretty damn metal.Kurkkuviipale is pretty damn metal.Kurkkuviipale is pretty damn metal.
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Yea, and why not make multiple contests. More contests = More fun fun fun fun fun fun fun fun fun fun fun fun fun...
Scar Symmetry likes this.
Kurkkuviipale is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-10-2011, 03:27 AM   #79
SS.org Regular

Clydefrog is shredding to new heights.Clydefrog is shredding to new heights.Clydefrog is shredding to new heights.Clydefrog is shredding to new heights.Clydefrog is shredding to new heights.Clydefrog is shredding to new heights.Clydefrog is shredding to new heights.Clydefrog is shredding to new heights.
Feedback Score: 13 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Reverend View Post
Like my idea
I'm not really into this for the competition, by the way, because I will never win one, especially when measured against the creative talent on this board. It just seems like a lot of fun, which I 100% support.

I think maybe we should scrap the one hour part, though. Make it a day-long contest. Most of us don't have a full 24-hours to devote to this, and it'll still be in the spirit of fun. Anyone else have some ideas?
The entire point is to challenge your compositional abilities within the confines of a very short amount of time. An entire day would be counterproductive (no pun intended).
sarkophagus likes this.
Clydefrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-10-2011, 03:28 AM   #80
Ex Whiny Bitch

Scar Symmetry is a happy camper.Scar Symmetry is a happy camper.Scar Symmetry is a happy camper.Scar Symmetry is a happy camper.Scar Symmetry is a happy camper.Scar Symmetry is a happy camper.Scar Symmetry is a happy camper.Scar Symmetry is a happy camper.Scar Symmetry is a happy camper.Scar Symmetry is a happy camper.Scar Symmetry is a happy camper.Scar Symmetry is a happy camper.Scar Symmetry is a happy camper.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Reverend View Post
Even better yet, a mod? Fancy forum editing skills would be useful
I nominate Randy.

What happened to Jeff? Funny how he dropped off the radar now that the entire Western world disagrees with his right wing bullshit.
Unread 04-10-2011, 03:29 AM   #81
Another Sinking Shit

Kurkkuviipale is pretty damn metal.Kurkkuviipale is pretty damn metal.Kurkkuviipale is pretty damn metal.Kurkkuviipale is pretty damn metal.Kurkkuviipale is pretty damn metal.Kurkkuviipale is pretty damn metal.Kurkkuviipale is pretty damn metal.Kurkkuviipale is pretty damn metal.
I've tried doing shit in an hour. It's hard, but it's certainly possible.

And why not multiple...
Unread 04-10-2011, 03:29 AM   #82
GHETTO KING OF SWAG

The Reverend is shredding to new heights.The Reverend is shredding to new heights.The Reverend is shredding to new heights.The Reverend is shredding to new heights.The Reverend is shredding to new heights.The Reverend is shredding to new heights.The Reverend is shredding to new heights.The Reverend is shredding to new heights.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurkkuviipale View Post
Yea, and why not make multiple contests. More contests = More fun fun fun fun fun fun fun fun fun fun fun fun fun...
I feel like this contest should be named "Rebecca Black's Fun Hour of Power".
I mean, it'll most likely take place on a weekend...
It's about fun...

Just a thought.

"

Unread 04-10-2011, 03:31 AM   #83
SS.org Regular

Clydefrog is shredding to new heights.Clydefrog is shredding to new heights.Clydefrog is shredding to new heights.Clydefrog is shredding to new heights.Clydefrog is shredding to new heights.Clydefrog is shredding to new heights.Clydefrog is shredding to new heights.Clydefrog is shredding to new heights.
compo:ThaSauce - Rounds

Here is the OHC site that I participate in. It's well organized and has the hour limit for a reason; it's to CHALLENGE yourself. An entire day defeats the purpose of challenging yourself (and others). Consider me AGAINST it.

Also, it is not limited to guitar. In fact, quite the opposite.
Unread 04-10-2011, 03:32 AM   #84
Ex Whiny Bitch

Just throwing this out there...

We could have 3 competions, USA/Canada- UK/Europe - Australasia.

Then the three winners of those areas get voted as 1st, 2nd and 3rd place?

A mod leading on this would be essential for it to work as we need someone impartial that has some degree of authority for regulation and such.
theo and The Reverend like this.

Unread 04-10-2011, 03:36 AM   #85
The Care Cup's Empty

Psyy is a jewel in the rough
Not to be a downer, but wouldn't that sort of ruin it for the Aussies? I personally relish the idea of more competition, which I'm sure I'd find here in North America, but aside from the Aussies, do we really have all that many asia-area forum goers around here? Seems like it could be pretty limited.

Not like I have a better idea, though.
Psyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-10-2011, 03:44 AM   #86
All Fourths Advocate

Waelstrum is just really niceWaelstrum is just really nice
I don't think we'd have enough people to have separate contests. I think the counting the likes system would be best. If we had the time at 10PM-11PM Saturday Greenwich mean time, that would make it from 8AM-9AM Sunday on the east coast of Australia, and a range of 12PM-1PM to 5PM-6PM in America. Is that time ok with everyone?

EDIT: Actually, as pointed out, counting likes would allow multiple votes. I was just thinking about what would be easiest to set up, but I guess a poll is not too hard either.
DGKarehere likes this.
Waelstrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-10-2011, 03:54 AM   #87
Ex Whiny Bitch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waelstrum View Post
I don't think we'd have enough people to have separate contests. I think the counting the likes system would be best. If we had the time at 10PM-11PM Saturday Greenwich mean time, that would make it from 8AM-9AM Sunday on the east coast of Australia, and a range of 12PM-1PM to 5PM-6PM in America. Is that time ok with everyone?
Sounds good, though a poll would be better than counting Likes if you want to take that route.

10pm-11pm is fine with me! Saturday/Sunday yeah?

Unread 04-10-2011, 03:54 AM   #88
Another Sinking Shit

Umm, what's the problem?

We put up a day where people have to choose one hour to work on. I live in Finland: I choose my one hour to be 5pm. It can be as individual as that because there's no preventing cheating if someone really likes to ruin it.

Everyone posts their one hour composition on the forum within say, two days. Then we start the nominations.

As easy as that.
Unread 04-10-2011, 03:55 AM   #89
GHETTO KING OF SWAG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scar Symmetry View Post
Sounds good, though a poll would be better than counting Likes if you want to take that route.

10pm-11pm is fine with me! Saturday/Sunday yeah?
I agree with this.

"

Unread 04-10-2011, 03:57 AM   #90
Another Sinking Shit

Counting on likes would be stupid. That would allow people to give more than one vote.
Unread 04-10-2011, 04:02 AM   #91
Ex Whiny Bitch

Quote:
Counting on likes would be stupid. That would allow people to give more than one vote.
See my last post

Unread 04-10-2011, 04:07 AM   #92
Another Sinking Shit

Ye, just approvin'.
Unread 04-10-2011, 04:38 AM   #93
SS.org Regular

The scoring system used for the community that currently does OHCs is as follows:

3 votes. First place is worth 5, second 3, third 1. You get 3 votes each, and align the votes by your favorite entries.

Or is it 3, 2, and 1 points? I don't know, one of those two. Also, the get together and recording needs to occur all at the same time; no delayed entries. You sit down ALL at the same time and do your deal ALL at the same time. The hour is up, you have 10 minutes to mix it, 10 minutes to upload it, and the listen party begins.
Unread 04-10-2011, 04:40 AM   #94
progressive insanity

IAMLORDVADER is a glorious beacon of lightIAMLORDVADER is a glorious beacon of lightIAMLORDVADER is a glorious beacon of light
If you had it over an entire day we could have arule that you have to post when you begin your song and after the hour and 20 has past(upload times etc) you could post again in the same thread quoting your original post, theres still the issue of people using over an hour for it but if people need an ego boost that bad they'll find a way around it anyway
IAMLORDVADER is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-10-2011, 04:48 AM   #95
SS.org Regular

in-pursuit is just really nicein-pursuit is just really nice
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Quote:
Umm, what's the problem?

We put up a day where people have to choose one hour to work on. I live in Finland: I choose my one hour to be 5pm. It can be as individual as that because there's no preventing cheating if someone really likes to ruin it.

Everyone posts their one hour composition on the forum within say, two days. Then we start the nominations.

As easy as that.
I am in agreeance with this guy, anyone who wants to cheat will find a way to cheat no matter how it's organised. And anyone who cares that much about people cheating and robbing them of the possibility of winning a competition whose sole purpose is to challenge and improve their own writing skills, is perhaps not in it for the right reasons. I can understand the concern, but there's never going to be a more level playing field than 24 hours.
in-pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-10-2011, 04:51 AM   #96
Sixstring Regular

ScatteredDimension is a jewel in the rough
Definitely would like to give it a try!
ScatteredDimension is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-10-2011, 04:57 AM   #97
The Care Cup's Empty

Psyy is a jewel in the rough
I think what Clyde is getting at is it's more a community event than the individual-oriented spin we're trying to put on it. The theme is given to everyone participating at a set time; everyone stops at the same time, and everyone begins to listen to the results at the same time.

I know we're trying to cater to everyone. I support this, it's just I think we'd enjoy it more as a group if we took Clyde's original outline, at least as a starting point.

It seems that at least one timezone is going to get shafted (either really early or really late) but I'm just not sure how to best fit it so everyone is as minimally ....ed as possible. For the west coast NA's, east coast Australia is 18 hours ahead, so if we were to hold it at 1 p.m PST, we'd have the Australians up at at least 7 a.m, which would consequently have the eastern Europeans composing around midnight.
Psyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-10-2011, 04:57 AM   #98
Ibanez whore

theo is a splendid one to beholdtheo is a splendid one to beholdtheo is a splendid one to beholdtheo is a splendid one to beholdtheo is a splendid one to behold
Super keen for this idea.
theo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-10-2011, 09:44 AM   #99
Another Sinking Shit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psyy View Post
I think what Clyde is getting at is it's more a community event than the individual-oriented spin we're trying to put on it. The theme is given to everyone participating at a set time; everyone stops at the same time, and everyone begins to listen to the results at the same time.

I know we're trying to cater to everyone. I support this, it's just I think we'd enjoy it more as a group if we took Clyde's original outline, at least as a starting point.

It seems that at least one timezone is going to get shafted (either really early or really late) but I'm just not sure how to best fit it so everyone is as minimally ....ed as possible. For the west coast NA's, east coast Australia is 18 hours ahead, so if we were to hold it at 1 p.m PST, we'd have the Australians up at at least 7 a.m, which would consequently have the eastern Europeans composing around midnight.
I don't see why we'd enjoy this more if the others have advantage on the game. Just let people compose something within a day and make sure that the time spent on it shouldn't be more than one hour, and we'd be set.

It shouldn't be hard to set up a system that gives us the chance to start listening and voting @ one time. Just to prevent that the earliest dudes doesn't get advantage of the fact that they have more time to get voted or that people get keen on their songs, etc.
Unread 04-10-2011, 09:55 AM   #100
prh
SS.org Regular

prh has much to be proud ofprh has much to be proud ofprh has much to be proud ofprh has much to be proud ofprh has much to be proud ofprh has much to be proud of
skimmed this thread and id definitely be in! i used to do 2-hour songs like this just for fun, and most of my EP songs were written in a day haha

and sorry if ive missed it but does this mean that you would open your daw, record as much music as possible, mix and master it and then post a link in 60 mins?

and just some ideas:

there should be some sort of limitation announced just before we start (bpm/key/time signature) so that people cant just record prewritten riffs or something

and also maybe a time limit for the composition like, 2 minutes or something, so we dont get poorly tracked 40 minute epics and then insanely well produced 2 minute clips competing

if anything this could result in a really cool compilation CD though haha!
prh is offline   Reply With Quote