homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   photo gallery   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > Music Discussion > Recording Studio
LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter

Recording Studio Discussion on everything recording based, such as mixing, mastering, mics, monitors and other gear.

Like Tree48Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 06-03-2012, 01:58 AM   #176
Depths of Europa

depths of europa is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Hey guys,
I am using fruity loops 8 with drum samples i cut out of Pantera Vulgar Display of Power... It soudns alright I guess. Would Superior Drummer improve my drum sound?
depths of europa is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
Seven String

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 06-04-2012, 04:16 PM   #177
Depths of Europa

Superior Drummer vs. Fruity Loops 8

What would the advantages be to use Superior Drummer over Fruity Loops 8?

Are there any features that make it better/ less time consuming etc?

My current setup works and all, I just kind of want to be convinced that Superior Drummer is worth the $350.

Thanks guys
Unread 06-04-2012, 07:05 PM   #178
Needs more strings

EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
^ FL is a DAW..Superior Drummer is a drum instrument.
I guess you mean FL includes its own drum samples?
Well do you like the difference in sound between those and the Superior Drummer demos on the website? I haven't heard FL but I'm going to guess you're mad if that's not the case
EtherealEntity is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-05-2012, 08:45 PM   #179
Depths of Europa

Quote:
Originally Posted by EtherealEntity View Post
^ FL is a DAW..Superior Drummer is a drum instrument.
I guess you mean FL includes its own drum samples?
Well do you like the difference in sound between those and the Superior Drummer demos on the website? I haven't heard FL but I'm going to guess you're mad if that's not the case
Yeah I made my own samples by cutting drum sounds from a Pantera album. They sound good and all but I know now that Superior drummer is way better.

Do the majority of the people on here using Superior also have "The Metal Foundry' add-on? I checked their site and both come to $528 before shipping.
Unread 06-05-2012, 11:26 PM   #180
Depths of Europa

Ok, so I'm about to purchase SD 2.0 and The Metal Foundry off Amazon (way cheaper for some reason).

Is Metal Machine EZX only for the EZ Drummer software, or will it work on Superior Drummer 2.0 too? The Toon Track site is kind of unclear about this.

If it does work on SD, I will buy it now all together.

Anyone?
Unread 06-06-2012, 06:25 AM   #181
Needs more strings

EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.
Shop around buddy, expansions are 50% off for a few days at certain retailers.
Yeah EZX are expansions for EZDrummer.
You can load them inside Superior, just like you can run EZD inside Superior. But yes you'll need to own EZD to license EZxs.
Unread 06-06-2012, 03:30 PM   #182
Depths of Europa

Quote:
You can load them inside Superior, just like you can run EZD inside Superior. But yes you'll need to own EZD to license EZxs.
Too late, haha. I bit the bullet and bought it directly off Toontrack. I attempted getting it through Amazon but they won't ship it to Canada.

I got the partial download version, so they are mailing me the retail box apparently. I was trying to get it all up and running last night but no luck yet. I figure if I read this entire thread it might answer some of my questions.
Unread 06-07-2012, 02:41 AM   #183
Depths of Europa

Quote:
Hey man,

You seem to know what you're talking about when it comes to SD... I installed Superior Drummer and The Metal Foundry and I see them in my C:/ Program Files, but I'm not sure what to do from here.

I use Reaper to record, but it's the 64 version, will SD work on it? I tried loading it in Reaper under Options>Preferences>VST>Vst Plug in Paths> Add..

Then I tried selecting various folders within my C:/Toontracks and tried pressing OK, but they still don't show up under the Reaper instrument section.

Could this be because I am running the 64 version of Reaper? (I'm actually not really sure what the difference between 64 and 32 is, to be honest)

Also, what do most people on here use to create the Midi files for SD?

Thanks for your help man!
Unread 06-07-2012, 05:37 AM   #184
Needs more strings

Probably yes. There is a 64 bit update available on the website. Head there and update all your products. Then you'll be able to select a 64 bit plugin. It's also possible that the folders you selected don't contain the plugin. You're looking for a .dll file - check it's in there.

I use Guitar Pro a lot of the time, other times if I'm writing in my DAW recording guitar as I go I'll just use the piano roll.
Unread 06-08-2012, 10:19 AM   #185
Depths of Europa

Quote:
Probably yes. There is a 64 bit update available on the website. Head there and update all your products. Then you'll be able to select a 64 bit plugin. It's also possible that the folders you selected don't contain the plugin. You're looking for a .dll file - check it's in there.

I use Guitar Pro a lot of the time, other times if I'm writing in my DAW recording guitar as I go I'll just use the piano roll.
So I installed the 'Partial Download' version for SD2.0, which was available through the Toontracks website. Basically I bought it and it has the install file for Superior Drummer, Toontracks solo, and The Metal Foundry. It just has limited sounds for now, until the retail box with the CD's arrives in the mail.

I can open Superior drummer in Toontracks Solo, but when I search through all of the folders in my C Drive, there are no .dll files in there. Reaper is asking for a .dll file in Preferences>VST plug-in settings

Maybe this initial download version isnt compatible with a DAW until I do the full install?
Unread 06-08-2012, 10:52 AM   #186
Master Groove Seeker

SilverEvolver is just really niceSilverEvolver is just really nice
Here ya go guys, sick sale on and it's retail box too! Just $200 for Superior 2.0 and Metal Foundry!

Home | AudioDeluxe

Joe
SilverEvolver is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-08-2012, 11:12 AM   #187
Needs more strings

^ Nah it should definitely work man. I got the same. I was hoping to download it all and remember being dissapointed I had to wait for the box for the full kit haha but it worked all the same.
Run the installer again and check where everything is going.
If you have no .dlls in your C drive then you've either got them on another harddrive or you have no plugins at all. Hell I did a search for .dll and got thousands of results that aren't even audio related! Might wanna filter that search to your Program Files folders.
I found mine here C:\Program Files\VstPlugins\Toontrack\64bit
Unread 06-08-2012, 12:32 PM   #188
Depths of Europa

Quote:
^ Nah it should definitely work man. I got the same. I was hoping to download it all and remember being dissapointed I had to wait for the box for the full kit haha but it worked all the same.
Run the installer again and check where everything is going.
If you have no .dlls in your C drive then you've either got them on another harddrive or you have no plugins at all. Hell I did a search for .dll and got thousands of results that aren't even audio related! Might wanna filter that search to your Program Files folders.
I found mine here C:\Program Files\VstPlugins\Toontrack\64bit
That worked!! Mine were in that location too. Thanks!
EtherealEntity likes this.
Unread 06-10-2012, 04:42 PM   #189
SS.org Regular

Ericjutsu is a jewel in the rough
oh man that's brutal buying the toontrack products at full price when they are on sale half off on amazon and other sites. Ez drummer and metal machine both for about 100 bucks is a sick deal. But yeah the ez drummer or sd2.0 are way better than using fruity loops with pantera drum samples. I'm sure you'll love it.
depths of europa likes this.
Ericjutsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-11-2012, 02:58 PM   #190
Depths of Europa

OK, I'm learning more and more about this software each time I use it, and so far I have been able to program beats successfully, but I keep running into the same problem:

When I have a project on the go in Reaper, and I am working on the midi section programming the drums, if I close the main Superior Drummer window (the window with the 3D Drums), I don't know how to get it back. I find myself selecting the "add virtual instrument" again and re-opening Superior Drummer, but then it opens a second Superior Drummer track in Reaper and wants to create channels for all the drums again, which I know must be wrong.
Unread 06-11-2012, 05:57 PM   #191
Needs more strings

^ Don't know Reaper but most DAWs I've used have an instrument/synth window or have the plugin inserted as an 'effect' in the mixer.
Unread 06-12-2012, 05:27 PM   #192
ss.org Regular

Dunloper can only hope to improve
Yep, he's right. Just go up to the track that has the actual midi track on it (should be labeled Superior Drumm...2) and where it has the FX button (it should be green) just click it and it should automatically dock the SD window back at the bottom of reaper under where it shows the multitracks. The little tab should be to the right of the "mixer" tab. Just click on the tab (it should say something like: "FX: Track 2 Superior Drummer 2") and drag it up from where it's at to the middle of the screen. That should undock SD. Hope this helped!
Attached Images
File Type: png sd screen shot.png (194.3 KB, 33 views)
Dunloper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-29-2012, 03:03 PM   #193
SS.org Regular

tank is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
guys, where can I download fine midi grooves?

shred or die!

my shots! http://tanky92.deviantart.com/gallery/
tank is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-29-2012, 05:45 PM   #194
ss.org Regular

rstare will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by tank View Post
guys, where can I download fine midi grooves?
You can get them from ToonTrack. Sign in and go to support, select your product, and it'll be there.
Or, there's some free loops at the following:
- OddGrooves Drum Loops
Groove Monkee - Midi Drum Loops, Midi Drum Patterns, Drum Loops, Drum Beats, free midi loops
rstare is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-01-2012, 10:21 PM   #195
ss.org Regular

minorlive is on a distinguished road
Hey guys, I'm having a really big problem with 2.0. When I open Superior in Reaper, it is only able to load my old EZDrummer kits. The Avatar kit doesn't show up in the drop-down. When I go into the SL-Avatar folder in the first install disk, there is no usable install file, just a bunch of generic "files" (under file type, it just says "file" rather than an install application) along with the Sounds folder and the EULA. I hope I'm being clear as this is the only way I could think to explain my problem. Any help?
minorlive is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-08-2012, 03:06 PM   #196
SS.org Regular

ArrowHead is just really niceArrowHead is just really nice
I think under the "settings" tab in superior you can point it to your avatar folder. The check mark will turn green if it sees it.
ArrowHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-08-2012, 08:05 PM   #197
SS.org Regular

Enselmis is a jewel in the rough
Anybody know how to trigger your own samples on top of S2.0 samples? Say I wanted to beef up the kicks with a sample I made or found, how would I go about doing this?
Enselmis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-08-2012, 10:47 PM   #198
Just another SunBro

niffnoff is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enselmis View Post
Anybody know how to trigger your own samples on top of S2.0 samples? Say I wanted to beef up the kicks with a sample I made or found, how would I go about doing this?
I believe there's vsts that use triggers on the sample I'm not exactly 100% sure. Ola Englund used one in one of his videos a long time ago.

I used to be an arrow like you
But then I took a rock to the knee
Soundcloud was arrow to the knee
Facebook Music Page
niffnoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-09-2012, 12:11 PM   #199
Needs more strings

2 methods.
Sample replacement such as Drumagog, that people use on real recorded kits.
OR duplicating your midi part out to a sampler to play a different kit. I use Battery for this.
I also use audio>midi on real kits to do the same because I don't have Drumagog haha.
Unread 07-09-2012, 01:37 PM   #200
SS.org Regular

Enselmis is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
2 methods.
Sample replacement such as Drumagog, that people use on real recorded kits.
OR duplicating your midi part out to a sampler to play a different kit. I use Battery for this.
I also use audio>midi on real kits to do the same because I don't have Drumagog haha.
Duplicating the MIDI part seems to make the most sense. I'll give it a shot with battery. Took me a little while to figure out how to make outs for each sample with battery but I've got it down. Will update with results.
EtherealEntity likes this.
Enselmis is offline   Reply With Quote