homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   photo gallery   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > Music Discussion > Recording Studio
LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter

Recording Studio Discussion on everything recording based, such as mixing, mastering, mics, monitors and other gear.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 11-27-2010, 08:33 PM   #1
Spastic Kitchen!

bostjan is pretty much the man.bostjan is pretty much the man.bostjan is pretty much the man.bostjan is pretty much the man.bostjan is pretty much the man.bostjan is pretty much the man.bostjan is pretty much the man.bostjan is pretty much the man.bostjan is pretty much the man.
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Northern Lights ~ Bostjan Zupancic

Soundclick - Northern Lights by Bostjan Zupancic

Feedback is welcome!

[URL="http://sites.google.com/site/bostjanzupancickhereb/"[/URL]
bostjan is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
Seven String

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 11-29-2010, 01:46 PM   #2
Spastic Kitchen!

bostjan is pretty much the man.bostjan is pretty much the man.bostjan is pretty much the man.bostjan is pretty much the man.bostjan is pretty much the man.bostjan is pretty much the man.bostjan is pretty much the man.bostjan is pretty much the man.bostjan is pretty much the man.
Hmm, either

a) It's too mediocre to garner any comments

or

b) You guys don't like it and don't want to say anything bad.

Some background for the song:

Written by me. The inspiration for the song was the short story "Northern Lights" by Wyllis Cooper, about the northern lights and an invading species of cryogenic arthropods who use mind control to execute a plan to invade the Earth.

Recorded with:

Boss 10-track digital recorder.
Oni 7-string tuned BEADGBE (low to high)
Oni 8-string tuned BEADGBEA (low to high)
Dean Edge 6F fretless bass.
Sure SM-57LC.

All of the drums were programmed sloppy by me on the Boss recorder's built-in drum machine.

Unread 11-29-2010, 01:53 PM   #3
Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator

MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
It's certainly interesting, and by that I mean it's not my typical cup of tea and thus is somewhat alien to me. The guitars sounded pretty good though, and the playing seemed to be very clean. I think with some better/different drums and a bit more bass in the mix (instrument, not freq.) it'd be even better.

I'll need to give a better listen later when I'm not hearing it through poor quality laptop speakers.

Need help with setting up a trem?
Need info on your Ibby?
Live in Milwaukee? Please feel free to message me.

New Rules. Read Them.
MaxOfMetal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-29-2010, 02:34 PM   #4
WhiskeyTangoFoxtrot

Customisbetter is pretty damn metal.Customisbetter is pretty damn metal.Customisbetter is pretty damn metal.Customisbetter is pretty damn metal.Customisbetter is pretty damn metal.Customisbetter is pretty damn metal.Customisbetter is pretty damn metal.Customisbetter is pretty damn metal.
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
I just gave it a listen and I'll be honest.

It sound like you recorded it on a recorder totally dry, summed and then uploaded.

Now for punk acts this is generally acceptable. However a piece like this generally gets significantly more production.

The vocals need compression badly, and the guitar tracks are clipping. The playing is seriously good but its all a jumbled mess once its summed together and clipping.

I'll leave the drums alone as they are the built in drum machine.

The song has potential, but the way you are recording is limiting the potential IMO.

http://www.sevenstring.org/forum/signaturepics/sigpic17517_3.gif
Customisbetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-29-2010, 03:34 PM   #5
Spastic Kitchen!

Thanks guys!

So, I need some compression on the guitar?

The playing could have been a lot better. What you hear for the leads are my first and second takes dubbed together. The first take was pretty sloppy, and I was very close to leaving it out of the mix, but I thought it sounded thicker with both takes together.

Max, did you have any specific thoughts about the composition? Looking back, I guess the chord structure and meter are pretty generic. Funny how I never think of that until after the fact.

Thanks again for the feedback!

Unread 11-29-2010, 05:07 PM   #6
The Armada

JamesM is pretty much the man.JamesM is pretty much the man.JamesM is pretty much the man.JamesM is pretty much the man.JamesM is pretty much the man.JamesM is pretty much the man.JamesM is pretty much the man.JamesM is pretty much the man.JamesM is pretty much the man.
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Comments are extremely elusive here. Lame, right?

Custom said what needed to be said about production, but I'm a composition nerd so I'll say a few words!

The progression is very cliche. Is that a bad thing? Only if that isn't what you were looking for. These progressions are so commonly used because, well, they work! And to be honest, I think that kind of numb corny nature of the progression suits the "story" you're telling well.

Consider making this an episode, this idea solidified by the "doomy" sections. While I normally frown upon many dry theme elements in music--as it tends to become very, very contrived--I think this is just screaming for it.

The fade is quite too sudden, in my opinion, as well.
JamesM is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-30-2010, 02:58 PM   #7
Spastic Kitchen!

I think I may have to start again with this one. After sinking in and listening to it again myself, I'm not 100% satisfied with the rhythm guitar tone. I likely would not have ever listened to it as critically if it was not for you, and I thank you for that.

Unread 11-30-2010, 07:13 PM   #8
WhiskeyTangoFoxtrot

Customisbetter is pretty damn metal.Customisbetter is pretty damn metal.Customisbetter is pretty damn metal.Customisbetter is pretty damn metal.Customisbetter is pretty damn metal.Customisbetter is pretty damn metal.Customisbetter is pretty damn metal.Customisbetter is pretty damn metal.
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
I can't really give you any advice on recording with a recorder as from my year of experience trying to make it work, I realized its just WAY too ....ing hard to record, mix and sum on a recorder.

My opinion is Ditch the box and get a proper computer based setup.

http://www.sevenstring.org/forum/signaturepics/sigpic17517_3.gif
Customisbetter is offline   Reply With Quote