homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   photo gallery   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > Music Discussion > Recording Studio
LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter

Recording Studio Discussion on everything recording based, such as mixing, mastering, mics, monitors and other gear.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 09-12-2010, 07:22 AM   #1
Banned

onpalehorse can only hope to improve
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Podx3 tone help!!

So my friend just got the pod x3 and we're trying to find a good tone for recording a heavy gated bulb/chimp spanner type tone. We're recording straight pod to usb port with no other audio interface, does the audio interface (i.e. m-audio profire 610) really make the difference when it comes to having great guitar tracks or does it have a lot to do with mastering and using plug ins, any help is appreciated and any vst's used to beef up guitars and make heavy guitar tracks let me know i am open to all suggestions

thanks in advance!
onpalehorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
Seven String

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 09-13-2010, 03:45 AM   #2
Banned

help
Unread 09-13-2010, 03:58 AM   #3
Stay Negative™

leandroab is pretty much the man.leandroab is pretty much the man.leandroab is pretty much the man.leandroab is pretty much the man.leandroab is pretty much the man.leandroab is pretty much the man.leandroab is pretty much the man.leandroab is pretty much the man.leandroab is pretty much the man.
No.

Podxt is already an interface. But it might not be as good as other ones in the realm of delay regarding playback. This could cost you if you are tracking with 4+ tracks + VST drums, + VST programs.

I have a toneport DI and it lags as hell. But I'm still investigating if this is due to Windows 7 being a bitch.

is the new black

RIP PETER STEELE

Music:
* www.soundclick.com/leandroabaurre
*www.soundcloud.com/leandroab

Guitar projects:

*Baritone 6 Conversion

Quotes:
* ''
I intend them to .... them with the long cock of the law." - Trashmanzac
* "
I think this mistake was the equivalent of a 6000 foot tall cock bukkake tsunami-ing Tokyo." - metallisuk
"I'm a big fan of the effects of alcohol." - Peter Steele
leandroab is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-13-2010, 04:07 AM   #4
Artist: Idoler

Slampop is a name known to allSlampop is a name known to allSlampop is a name known to allSlampop is a name known to all
dude, it's all post processing and eq with the POD unfortunately, and going into a different interface with decent preamps won't make that "special" difference you will be looking for "tonewise," though i highly recommend you use one anyway.

my soundclick page
http://www.soundclick.com/Idoler
my myspace page
www.myspace.com/idoler1
my old band page
www.myspace.com/houseofatreus1

"Don't be a fool!...He'll kill us all."
Slampop is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-13-2010, 03:38 PM   #5
Banned

yeah we are running vst drums, i've been using cubase to record for just a little and im still not really familiar with all the plug ins and post processing stuff it has to offer, if any of you guys have from experience can you get what you want out of what cubase has or do you find yourself downloading other plug ins specifically for your guitar tracks
Unread 09-13-2010, 04:33 PM   #6
SS.org Regular

manana is a jewel in the rough
I dont see how the interface makes any difference lag wise. I use more than 10 tracks plus superior drummer using 3+gb by itself and about 4-10 vsts on every track and i have 10ms lag with aiso. The only thing is the podx3 may not have the best A/D converter, best parts etc.

Check out my music!
Soundcloud.com/manana-1
manana is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-13-2010, 09:26 PM   #7
Oh God Damnit!

Antenna is just really niceAntenna is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by onpalehorse View Post
yeah we are running vst drums, i've been using cubase to record for just a little and im still not really familiar with all the plug ins and post processing stuff it has to offer, if any of you guys have from experience can you get what you want out of what cubase has or do you find yourself downloading other plug ins specifically for your guitar tracks
Cubase is a fine for recording and mixing, you're probably gonna have to d/l some good plug-ins though. Waves has some of the best you can get and you can also visit the forum GuitarAmpModeling.com and they have some great links to free VST plugins. Really all you should need for your guitars is a good compressor and a some parametric EQ.
Antenna is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-13-2010, 09:34 PM   #8
ALL HAIL DJOD

Rick has more eRep than he knows what to do with.Rick has more eRep than he knows what to do with.Rick has more eRep than he knows what to do with.Rick has more eRep than he knows what to do with.Rick has more eRep than he knows what to do with.Rick has more eRep than he knows what to do with.Rick has more eRep than he knows what to do with.Rick has more eRep than he knows what to do with.Rick has more eRep than he knows what to do with.Rick has more eRep than he knows what to do with.Rick has more eRep than he knows what to do with.Rick has more eRep than he knows what to do with.Rick has more eRep than he knows what to do with.Rick has more eRep than he knows what to do with.
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slampop View Post
dude, it's all post processing and eq with the POD unfortunately, and going into a different interface with decent preamps won't make that "special" difference you will be looking for "tonewise," though i highly recommend you use one anyway.
Damn, where the .... have you been?

Head of Agile Gestapo

Line 6 XDS95-->Line 6 POD X3 Pro-->Matrix GT800FX-->Line 6 Spidervalve 4x12 cabinet
Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-14-2010, 07:08 AM   #9
ss.org Regular

String7th will become famous soon enough
Quote:
The only thing is the podx3 may not have the best A/D converter, best parts etc.<!-- google_ad_section_end -->
Still the difference in A/D conversion between a Line 6 interface and a $600 interface is almost nothing. You will start to get better quality A/D conversion in the $1200 per channel Lynx or Apogee A/D/A. Even then it's a 1-2% improvement in the whole chain.

Your computer's specs will determine latency, the Pod by itself is fast enough, but the computer could be struggling. Pod or Profire, there's no significant audio quality difference.

I suggest record dry tracks with the pod and use Pod Farm for your tone. That way you can adjust afterwards to try different things.
String7th is offline   Reply With Quote