homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   photo gallery   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > Music Discussion > Recording Studio
LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter

Recording Studio Discussion on everything recording based, such as mixing, mastering, mics, monitors and other gear.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 06-20-2010, 08:40 AM   #1
ss.org Regular

Johnny Caldera will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Pro Tools help - Recording E-Drums as MIDI

Hey guys,

Im pretty much a noob when it comes to recording electronic drums in the form of MIDI. I have an old roland electronic kit but i don't really like the sounds, i was wondering if there was a way i could record from the kit as midi, then replace the sounds with samples that i have taken from a friends drumkit? I have basically recorded my own samples from his kit and im just wondering if this is at all possible. Hopefully i make sense haha.

Cheers.
Johnny Caldera is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
Seven String

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 06-20-2010, 08:53 AM   #2
Needs more strings

EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Yes you can. You'll need a MIDI input on your computer or interface to record the MIDI from the electric kit. After that's done, you can insert a drum 'instrument' such as EZDrummer or Superior Drummer and the MIDI file will trigger the drums. The set up is a bit more advanced than that but there's the basics.

However, you say you want to use your own samples. In this case, you're going to need some kind of sampler instrument which allows you to load audio files in and assign them to seperate MIDI notes. Set up on this is fairly more complicated and I can't really give too much advice because it would be sampler specific. All I can say is I'm using Sonar with Cyclone DXI as my sampler and it is very nice. I don't know if it's available for other programs but I'm sure there's plenty of free samplers out there. Maybe ProTools even has a built in one?
EtherealEntity is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-20-2010, 09:03 AM   #3
ss.org Regular

Johnny Caldera will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Thanks dude, this helps me get my head around it a lot more than before.
Johnny Caldera is offline   Reply With Quote