homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   photo gallery   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > Music Discussion > Recording Studio
LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter

Recording Studio Discussion on everything recording based, such as mixing, mastering, mics, monitors and other gear.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 06-13-2010, 12:41 PM   #1
SS.org Regular

Elijah is just really niceElijah is just really nice
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Best instrument cables for recording purposes?

I've been looking a a few different options and really can't decide which one is best. I've been looking at Mogami platinums, Monster SP1000s and Analysis Plus yellow ovals. What should I go for?????
Elijah is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
Seven String

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 06-13-2010, 12:57 PM   #2
Ex Whiny Bitch

Scar Symmetry is a happy camper.Scar Symmetry is a happy camper.Scar Symmetry is a happy camper.Scar Symmetry is a happy camper.Scar Symmetry is a happy camper.Scar Symmetry is a happy camper.Scar Symmetry is a happy camper.Scar Symmetry is a happy camper.Scar Symmetry is a happy camper.Scar Symmetry is a happy camper.Scar Symmetry is a happy camper.Scar Symmetry is a happy camper.Scar Symmetry is a happy camper.
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Planet Waves gold plated are good enough for me.

I used to swear by Monster Cables but the damn things kept breaking all the time.

What happened to Jeff? Funny how he dropped off the radar now that the entire Western world disagrees with his right wing bullshit.
Scar Symmetry is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-13-2010, 12:59 PM   #3
Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator

MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Cables are cables. Unless you're running a couple hundred feet (which a buffer would easily fix) it really doesn't matter.

About 99% of "premium" cables are just BS.

Find some solid, affordable cables to use. They'll sound just as good as the big buck Monster and Mogami ones.

Need help with setting up a trem?
Need info on your Ibby?
Live in Milwaukee? Please feel free to message me.

New Rules. Read Them.
MaxOfMetal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-13-2010, 01:17 PM   #4
SS.org Regular

Well the reason I ask is because I can get easily hooked up with the big bucks cables, so money isn't the issue
Unread 06-13-2010, 01:19 PM   #5
Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator

MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elijah View Post
Well the reason I ask is because I can get easily hooked up with the big bucks cables, so money isn't the issue
Then it doesn't matter which you go with.

Need info on your Ibby?

New Rules. Read Them.
Unread 06-13-2010, 01:26 PM   #6
SS.org Regular

Ha, fair enough :P
Unread 06-13-2010, 02:49 PM   #7
djent n00b

tr0n is just really nicetr0n is just really nice
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Make the cables yourself, you can save hundreds on pounds/dollars. For instance, XLR cables can cost ~4 per foot (DCS Pro for example), OR, you can pay ~35 for a 100m reel of Vandamme cable, plus the Neutrik connectors and solder it together yourself. Will take maybe an afternoon to do the work depending on how much you need but the more cable you need the more cost-effective it is to make them yourself. I don't know what the savings might be in the US but maybe it's something to think about.

All your djent are belong to me.
tr0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-13-2010, 03:27 PM   #8
U gonna eat that?

Deadnightshade is a glorious beacon of lightDeadnightshade is a glorious beacon of lightDeadnightshade is a glorious beacon of light
I've compared cables only once in my life..it was a john doe one,and the other was a pricey fender vintage one.My brother played with his japanese (!) fender jazz bass through a crappy stagg practice bass amp..There was a difference in the sound..the fender sounded a bit more crap XD Really even then the difference was minimal just use a normal sturdy one,not the short ones that come with the allen wrenches of the guitar you just purchased,nor the ones that are..like the cables of older telephones and you'll be fine

Die.Get cremated.Laugh your ash off..
Deadnightshade is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-14-2010, 07:24 AM   #9
ss.org Regular

rfahey86 is on a distinguished road
Monster cables are good if you have an In/Out jack that is stretched and loose. But if you use them in a good jack it will stretch it slightly, and make it so that regular cable fit a little loose. I usually just use the Livewire cables from guitar center. They are descent quality and have a lifetime warrenty. If they stop working just bring them back.
rfahey86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-14-2010, 07:28 AM   #10
Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tr0n View Post
Make the cables yourself, you can save hundreds on pounds/dollars. For instance, XLR cables can cost ~4 per foot (DCS Pro for example), OR, you can pay ~35 for a 100m reel of Vandamme cable, plus the Neutrik connectors and solder it together yourself. Will take maybe an afternoon to do the work depending on how much you need but the more cable you need the more cost-effective it is to make them yourself. I don't know what the savings might be in the US but maybe it's something to think about.

Best "investment" I ever made for my rig was getting a 200" spool of cable and a bucket of connectors.

Need info on your Ibby?

New Rules. Read Them.
Unread 06-15-2010, 02:01 AM   #11
OOOAAARWWWRR

Wookieslayer is a glorious beacon of lightWookieslayer is a glorious beacon of lightWookieslayer is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by rfahey86 View Post
Monster cables are good if you have an In/Out jack that is stretched and loose. But if you use them in a good jack it will stretch it slightly, and make it so that regular cable fit a little loose. I usually just use the Livewire cables from guitar center. They are descent quality and have a lifetime warrenty. If they stop working just bring them back.
Yes I heard and have experienced this. Apparently monster cables and the gold plated ones are wider so they stretch out your jack over time! Prob not the best for recording devices such as pods unless u always use the same cable

Randall V2 / Titan + RS412XLT100
Tech 21 Midi Mouse, Alesis Midiverb III
Schecter Omen, OLP MM5 bass

http://www.soundcloud.com/wookieslayer
My Youtube channel - Gear demos and stuff
Wookieslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-15-2010, 03:54 AM   #12
ss.org Regular

YellowMustard can only hope to improve
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxOfMetal View Post
Cables are cables. Unless you're running a couple hundred feet (which a buffer would easily fix) it really doesn't matter
Absolute bullshit!

I strictly use Mogami Gold cables for recording and when compared to Monster Cables and some random cheaper cables there is a big difference. Are you sure you've tried Mogami cables? They are hands down the best cable made today.

Cables are not Cables. Thats flat out bullshit.

I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me. - Hunter S. Thompson
YellowMustard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-15-2010, 05:09 AM   #13
Captain tying knots

Andii is a glorious beacon of lightAndii is a glorious beacon of lightAndii is a glorious beacon of light
In my experience cables do make a big difference. The expensive ones aren't the best though. I've had random inexpensive ones that beat expensive brand named ones by miles. It's just a combination of some random factors that I can't seem to predict.

I use a shorter length for recording, Some short cables sound so bad that a good 18 or 19 foot will sound better though. Use your ears.

The prediction that can be made:
One brand to avoid is fender. They are consistently bad. Every single one of them is unusable. I don't know how they manage to botch something so simple every time without fail.
Andii is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-15-2010, 06:44 AM   #14
RG7 Whore

joelozzy is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Anyone have experience and/or opinions on DiMarzio Instrument cables?
joelozzy is offline   Reply With Quote