homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   photo gallery   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > Music Discussion > Recording Studio
LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter

Recording Studio Discussion on everything recording based, such as mixing, mastering, mics, monitors and other gear.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 05-31-2010, 07:51 PM   #1
Redefining Sound

The Atomic Ass is a name known to allThe Atomic Ass is a name known to allThe Atomic Ass is a name known to allThe Atomic Ass is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Another mix quality thread (popular, ain't they?)

EDIT: I re-engineered the file, and now Soundclick won't let me upload the new version.

I'll post the updated file when I bump the thread.

When a well-packaged web of lies has been sold gradually to the masses over generations,
the truth will seem utterly preposterous and its speaker a raving lunatic. Dresden James

Buy my album, My Titanic Grave, at whatever price you choose on Bandcamp!
SoundClick MySpace Twitter Facebook YouTube - My music, my Let's Plays, and my anarchist home build.
The Atomic Ass is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
Seven String

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 06-06-2010, 10:58 PM   #2
Redefining Sound

The Atomic Ass is a name known to allThe Atomic Ass is a name known to allThe Atomic Ass is a name known to allThe Atomic Ass is a name known to all
<div style="width:473px; border:solid #999999 1px; background-image:url('http://www.soundclick.com/images/elogos/SC_ExtBG.png')">
<a href='http://www.soundclick.com/theatomicass'>
<div style="background-color:width:460px; height:45px; cursor:pointer; background-image:url('http://www.soundclick.com/images/elogos/SC_460.png');"></div></a>
<div id="lower"><object type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowScriptAccess="never" allowNetworking="internal" height="60" width="473" data="http://www.soundclick.com/player/V2/mp3player.swf">
<param name="allowScriptAccess" value="never" />
<param name="allowNetworking" value="internal" />
<param name="movie" value="http://www.soundclick.com/player/V2/mp3player.swf" />
<param name="loop" value="false" />
<param name="menu" value="false" />
<param name="quality" value="high" />
<param name="wmode" value="transparent" />
<param name="flashvars" value="playType=single&songid=9242970&scid=9242970 &q=hi&ext=1&autoplay=0" />
<param name="scale" value="noscale" />
<param name="salign" value="b" />
<param name="bgcolor" value="#000000" />
</object></div></div>

Oh yeah.

When a well-packaged web of lies has been sold gradually to the masses over generations,
the truth will seem utterly preposterous and its speaker a raving lunatic. Dresden James

SoundClick MySpace Twitter Facebook YouTube - My music, my Let's Plays, and my anarchist home build.
Unread 06-06-2010, 11:04 PM   #3
Pro Thread Killer

TreWatson is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/TreWatson is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/TreWatson is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/TreWatson is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/TreWatson is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/TreWatson is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/TreWatson is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
guitars are inaudible and the drums sound... unrealistic.

there be no snare.

but the guitars are buried and the kick sounds very tiny
TreWatson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-06-2010, 11:31 PM   #4
doesn't djent, sorry

Location: #3 most dangerous city in the U.S.... makes you feel all warm and fuzzy, doesn't it...?
the unbearable is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by TreKita View Post

there be no snare.

it's just an intro. the rest of the song could absolutely slay... we don't know yet. (peer pressure) the rest of the song better slay. tre's my bro, i'm sticking my neck out for you. don't let me down..

actually, as just an intro, it sounds good. but i wouldn't do a whole song that way.

Petrus Thomas Ratajczyk (January 4, 1962 April 14, 2010)
--------------------------------------------------------------------

me - is this "pink floyd-core"? don't answer, i'm totally not serious....

Opeth21 (n/k/a dbrozz) - have you even listened to music since '03? this is totally mellowstrat-chordprogcore. but dont take it too hard man
the unbearable is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-07-2010, 05:51 AM   #5
Redefining Sound

Quote:
Originally Posted by unbrblncvncfbng View Post
it's just an intro. the rest of the song could absolutely slay... we don't know yet. (peer pressure) the rest of the song better slay. tre's my bro, i'm sticking my neck out for you. don't let me down..

actually, as just an intro, it sounds good. but i wouldn't do a whole song that way.
That is the whole song.

It's the intro to the ALBUM. I'm going for a "THX audio" type of effect here.

Also, no real instruments were used in the production of this piece. Guitar Pro 6 did the playing of ALL INSTRUMENTS out to WAV, which was imported by Reaper and guitars were run through Guitar Rig 3 VST.

I'm forced to mix via headphones, so that's probably contributing.

Unread 06-07-2010, 05:55 AM   #6
Redefining Sound

Quote:
Originally Posted by TreKita View Post

there be no snare.

I boosted the power chord and gallop tracks a little in my project file after I posted that, so yeah, they don't sound quite as buried now, here anyway.

I'm not a drummer, so I don't a clue in hell as to where a snare would GO.

What sounds tiny about the kick, though? I use it as my baseline, and it's the loudest instrument in the mix, from a strictly VU standpoint. Too many highs? Not enough highs? Too little bass? I honestly can't tell from here, my headphones have a frequency response starting around 60-70hz.

Unread 06-08-2010, 05:40 AM   #7
Redefining Sound

Bump?

Unread 06-08-2010, 07:51 PM   #8
SS.org Irregular

iceythe is just really niceiceythe is just really nice
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
First off, I think the kick is the least of your worries at the moment. You should bring real guitars into the mix , otherwise it'll sound like a fighting scene BGM for a J-RPG from early 90s

Since you're working with waveforms, there is little changes to dynamics you can do other than changing volumes and envelopes.

Example of things you could do:
Lower the bass itself a few dB. Your kick can't stand out with the constant boom from it
Route (parallell) crash / cymbals / hi-hat to an FX track with some reverb to make it less dry
Pan the crashes slightly to each side
Lowering the leads a tad as well
Preferably I'd boost the mid-mid highs of the guitar track

As far as putting snare hits, the meat and potatoes way, depending on your groove preference, you can have it hit on the 3rd bar (out of 4) or 5th bar out of 8. Basically in the middle.
iceythe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-12-2010, 12:53 AM   #9
Redefining Sound

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceythe View Post
First off, I think the kick is the least of your worries at the moment. You should bring real guitars into the mix , otherwise it'll sound like a fighting scene BGM for a J-RPG from early 90s
Well, I'd have to learn to play in time first... That's an uphill battle. If I can get to that point before the album is set for release I'll track some real guitars, though.

Quote:
Since you're working with waveforms, there is little changes to dynamics you can do other than changing volumes and envelopes.

Example of things you could do:
Lower the bass itself a few dB. Your kick can't stand out with the constant boom from it
Route (parallell) crash / cymbals / hi-hat to an FX track with some reverb to make it less dry
Pan the crashes slightly to each side
Lowering the leads a tad as well
Preferably I'd boost the mid-mid highs of the guitar track
All of the crashes are on one track, so I may be in for some work there. I'll add a little 'verb and see where that takes me.

Quote:
As far as putting snare hits, the meat and potatoes way, depending on your groove preference, you can have it hit on the 3rd bar (out of 4) or 5th bar out of 8. Basically in the middle.
I'll have to try that.