homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   photo gallery   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > Music Discussion > Recording Studio
LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter

Recording Studio Discussion on everything recording based, such as mixing, mastering, mics, monitors and other gear.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 05-29-2010, 03:07 PM   #1
The Armada

JamesM is pretty much the man.JamesM is pretty much the man.JamesM is pretty much the man.JamesM is pretty much the man.JamesM is pretty much the man.JamesM is pretty much the man.JamesM is pretty much the man.JamesM is pretty much the man.JamesM is pretty much the man.
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
In need of digital amplification...

Hey there guys, first post! Schecter Loomis-7 NT is in the mail, get here dammit!

Anyway, I run a home studio and am taking a few things with me away to college. Profire 2626 Pro Tools 7.4 LE run.

But I am facing a dilemma... I can't bring my B-52 AT-100 with my Marshall 412 to a dorm room! Not even a small amp will do it. I need some kind of rack or virtual amplification. Now, I've seen the Axe-FX (My goal tone being Keith Merrow's, honestly) but I haven't the time, or the money honestly. I need a DI solution to do my recording for a tight, smooth metal sound.

Help! Thank you.

Sam.
JamesM is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
Seven String

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 05-29-2010, 03:47 PM   #2
Rational Gayz

Vangoatguitar will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
The cheapest and most effective thing I can think of is get a used Line 6 pod of some sort and get friendly with Impulse's.
Vangoatguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-29-2010, 03:50 PM   #3
Pantysniffing zombie

JJ Rodriguez has more eRep than he knows what to do with.JJ Rodriguez has more eRep than he knows what to do with.JJ Rodriguez has more eRep than he knows what to do with.JJ Rodriguez has more eRep than he knows what to do with.JJ Rodriguez has more eRep than he knows what to do with.JJ Rodriguez has more eRep than he knows what to do with.JJ Rodriguez has more eRep than he knows what to do with.JJ Rodriguez has more eRep than he knows what to do with.JJ Rodriguez has more eRep than he knows what to do with.JJ Rodriguez has more eRep than he knows what to do with.JJ Rodriguez has more eRep than he knows what to do with.JJ Rodriguez has more eRep than he knows what to do with.JJ Rodriguez has more eRep than he knows what to do with.JJ Rodriguez has more eRep than he knows what to do with.
Feedback Score: 18 reviews
GSP1101 would do the trick for you. I didn't particularly like the one I had (being used to an Axe FX) but I would rate it well above anything Line 6 has ever done. If you want a rig you could potentially use live, the GSP1101 and a solid state power amp like the Carvin DCM would do great.

I used a Carvin DCM and the Axe with a 4x12 and it sounded great even at bedroom volumes, and you could run the 1101 direct as well.
JJ Rodriguez is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-29-2010, 03:56 PM   #4
The Armada

JamesM is pretty much the man.JamesM is pretty much the man.JamesM is pretty much the man.JamesM is pretty much the man.JamesM is pretty much the man.JamesM is pretty much the man.JamesM is pretty much the man.JamesM is pretty much the man.JamesM is pretty much the man.
JJ,

Have you any recordings of the GSP1101?
Unread 05-29-2010, 03:59 PM   #5
Pantysniffing zombie

JJ Rodriguez has more eRep than he knows what to do with.JJ Rodriguez has more eRep than he knows what to do with.JJ Rodriguez has more eRep than he knows what to do with.JJ Rodriguez has more eRep than he knows what to do with.JJ Rodriguez has more eRep than he knows what to do with.JJ Rodriguez has more eRep than he knows what to do with.JJ Rodriguez has more eRep than he knows what to do with.JJ Rodriguez has more eRep than he knows what to do with.JJ Rodriguez has more eRep than he knows what to do with.JJ Rodriguez has more eRep than he knows what to do with.JJ Rodriguez has more eRep than he knows what to do with.JJ Rodriguez has more eRep than he knows what to do with.JJ Rodriguez has more eRep than he knows what to do with.JJ Rodriguez has more eRep than he knows what to do with.
Nope. I also don't have any recordings with the Axe, or my current rig.

Surprisingly, running an all tube rig now sounds great at bedroom volumes now.

[/showingoff]

I play this thing whisper quiet and it sounds great, but once you crank it up it explodes babies. I know. I've done it. The cleanup sucked though.
Unread 05-29-2010, 04:00 PM   #6
The Armada

Yeah, but it is always worth it.

Look at you, rubbing that Axe-FX in my face! Oh how I crrrrrave it!
Unread 05-29-2010, 04:01 PM   #7
Pantysniffing zombie

Yeah, but if you're a student and you're on a budget, I'm sure the GSP1101 would do you just fine.
Unread 05-29-2010, 04:03 PM   #8
The Armada

Thank you, that is quite a bargain if it really is as good as you say it is.
Unread 05-29-2010, 04:07 PM   #9
Pantysniffing zombie

The thing is is that I never played too much with the amp models on it. I was using it for effects like I am with the Axe using the 4 cable method. I wasn't too thrilled with the effects. I sold the Ultra and bought the 1101 to try and free up about $1500 I tried it before hand and thought I could live with it, but the effects routing isn't that fantastic, and I was thrilled with the quality of effects either, the Axe spoiled me So I sold it off and bought my Axe back.

Do you need crazy effects, and any kind of flexibility in routing them? If you do, the 1101 might not be your cup of tea. If you just want simple reverb and delay, and some amp models to run direct, it would get the job done for you. I didn't expect the 1101 to be on par with the Axe (as no one should for the price difference ) but I didn't really need the cash that bad and could live with the price difference. Then again, I work a full time job that pays decently, and live at home rent free
Unread 05-29-2010, 04:09 PM   #10
Now with Less Hair!

13point9 is a splendid one to behold13point9 is a splendid one to behold13point9 is a splendid one to behold13point9 is a splendid one to behold13point9 is a splendid one to behold
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
can you have 2 effect paths on the GSP? so route delays via the loop and OD/ Dist through the input?

[/thread hijack]

"I won't be satisfied until somebody can whammy a whole piano." Pink Freud

".... that, I'd rather eat 20 pounds of steak and then prove how jacked I am by having angry sex with their mothers whilst curling 200 pounds and drinking ale." maliciousteve
13point9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-29-2010, 04:13 PM   #11
The Armada

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ Rodriguez View Post
The thing is is that I never played too much with the amp models on it. I was using it for effects like I am with the Axe using the 4 cable method. I wasn't too thrilled with the effects. I sold the Ultra and bought the 1101 to try and free up about $1500 I tried it before hand and thought I could live with it, but the effects routing isn't that fantastic, and I was thrilled with the quality of effects either, the Axe spoiled me So I sold it off and bought my Axe back.

Do you need crazy effects, and any kind of flexibility in routing them? If you do, the 1101 might not be your cup of tea. If you just want simple reverb and delay, and some amp models to run direct, it would get the job done for you. I didn't expect the 1101 to be on par with the Axe (as no one should for the price difference ) but I didn't really need the cash that bad and could live with the price difference. Then again, I work a full time job that pays decently, and live at home rent free
Lol. I use essentially NO effects and all delay and reverb will be with all my Waves plugins. All I need is a freakin' fantastic guitar tone!
Unread 05-29-2010, 04:15 PM   #12
Pantysniffing zombie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 13point9 View Post
can you have 2 effect paths on the GSP? so route delays via the loop and OD/ Dist through the input?

[/thread hijack]
I'm pretty sure you can't, but I'll let someone a bit more knowledgable about the unit answer that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Armada View Post
Lol. I use essentially NO effects and all delay and reverb will be with all my Waves plugins. All I need is a freakin' fantastic guitar tone!
Then it should do you just fine.
Unread 05-29-2010, 04:16 PM   #13
The Armada

Yesssss. Lol.
Unread 05-29-2010, 04:29 PM   #14
Now with Less Hair!

13point9 is a splendid one to behold13point9 is a splendid one to behold13point9 is a splendid one to behold13point9 is a splendid one to behold13point9 is a splendid one to behold
Just read up on it, 4 cable works on the 1101

".... that, I'd rather eat 20 pounds of steak and then prove how jacked I am by having angry sex with their mothers whilst curling 200 pounds and drinking ale." maliciousteve
Unread 05-29-2010, 04:35 PM   #15
Pantysniffing zombie

Quote:
Just read up on it, 4 cable works on the 1101
Oh sorry, I thought you were talking about running 2 different effects paths, not the 4 cable method. I used it with the 4 cable method just fine.
Unread 05-29-2010, 04:37 PM   #16
Now with Less Hair!

Quote:
Oh sorry, I thought you were talking about running 2 different effects paths, not the 4 cable method. I used it with the 4 cable method just fine.
well i just read that when you do 4 cable it routes the delys and time based effects to the loop and OD and distortion go into the input, that all I want to do really and apparently this does it via 4 cable, sorry if my wording is bad, really new to effects processors

Unread 05-29-2010, 04:38 PM   #17
Pantysniffing zombie

It's okay, we all have character flaws. Except me. I'm ....ing perfect.
Unread 05-29-2010, 04:39 PM   #18
SS.org Regular

troyguitar is shredding to new heights.troyguitar is shredding to new heights.troyguitar is shredding to new heights.troyguitar is shredding to new heights.troyguitar is shredding to new heights.troyguitar is shredding to new heights.troyguitar is shredding to new heights.
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
If you don't care about spillover delay when switching patches, something like an RP255 will get you the same exact tone as an 1101 for a stupidly small amount of money.
troyguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-29-2010, 04:41 PM   #19
Now with Less Hair!

Quote:

I actually have no retort to that

I would mention about this pedovan thing but as I used to get ribbed about my missus being small, chinese and well, young looking I dont have a leg to stand on

Unread 05-29-2010, 04:43 PM   #20
The Armada

Quote:
Lol. Agreed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by troyguitar View Post
If you don't care about spillover delay when switching patches, something like an RP255 will get you the same exact tone as an 1101 for a stupidly small amount of money.
Really? The same? Hmmm... It is ugly compared to how the GSP1101 would look in my rack, but that is stupidly cheap. Can anyone forsee any problems with this?
Unread 05-29-2010, 04:47 PM   #21
Pantysniffing zombie

I've heard it has the same modeling, but I'm partial to rack stuff. Depends if you ever think you might want to use it as a live rig with a power amp, which you could do with the RP, just with more cables running back to a power amp. Just depends if you want to go rack mount or not.
Unread 05-29-2010, 04:48 PM   #22
Pantysniffing zombie

Quote:
I would mention about this pedovan thing but as I used to get ribbed about my missus being small, chinese and well, young looking I dont have a leg to stand on
It's okay, my woman is 7 years younger than me
Unread 05-29-2010, 05:24 PM   #23
The Armada

Thanks again guys! Sounds good.
Unread 05-29-2010, 07:53 PM   #24
SS.org Regular

troyguitar is shredding to new heights.troyguitar is shredding to new heights.troyguitar is shredding to new heights.troyguitar is shredding to new heights.troyguitar is shredding to new heights.troyguitar is shredding to new heights.troyguitar is shredding to new heights.
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Armada View Post
Really? The same? Hmmm... It is ugly compared to how the GSP1101 would look in my rack, but that is stupidly cheap. Can anyone forsee any problems with this?
Yeah I owned both the RP250 and the 1101 at the same time and the tone was identical. Grab a 250 or 255 off eBay for <$100 and leave it in your dorm room is what I would do (it's what I did, actually ). I still use my 250 for bedroom jamming. Use the DigiTech as your audio in/out interface via USB on the laptop and then either the headphone or 1/4" outs to some cheap monitors = best cheap-ass bedroom setup out there
troyguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-29-2010, 11:09 PM   #25
SS.org Regular

AustinW90 is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
You can always try the software route. Line6 Podfarm, Guitar Rig, Peavey Revalver, etc...
AustinW90 is offline   Reply With Quote