homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   photo gallery   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > Music Discussion > Recording Studio
LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter

Recording Studio Discussion on everything recording based, such as mixing, mastering, mics, monitors and other gear.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 05-07-2010, 06:19 PM   #1
ss.org Regular

Sin3rgy will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Question Judge my clean VOX plz kthx

Hey guys. i'm a little new to recording and singing, well new and a little rusty. I started singing but am sort of still figuring it out.

I can't tell if my voice is decent or if I have annoying nasally pitches that I can't realize because it's my own voice. So let me know what you think of the vox.

BTW the screams are crappy...I can't figure out how to scream. I've tried the zen of screaming, but i just can't find a comprehensive guide or can't find the muscles on how to do it and not make it sound dumb.

Anyways, let me know if my voice is crap and has strange nasal qualities, or if it's aight.

-Sn3

1. http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page...songID=9113222

2. http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page...songID=9113247
Sin3rgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Alt Today
Seven String

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 05-07-2010, 06:36 PM   #2
ss.org Regular

Th3 Beyond is on a distinguished road
cheesy....
Th3 Beyond is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-07-2010, 09:01 PM   #3
Tr00f

matt397 is a glorious beacon of lightmatt397 is a glorious beacon of lightmatt397 is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Originally Posted by Th3 Beyond View Post
cheesy....
Wow that was a productive comment.
Anyways, it's definitely not the kind of stuff I listen to vocals aside, but the vocals themselves sound solid, they don't sound forced, every note was nailed, it was very clean. kudos for posting clean vocals, most wouldn't have the balls to post vocals and those that do are almost always screaming.

Gsus died for your sins

Tell the people there's an invisible man in the sky that created the universe and the vast majority believe you. Tell them the paint is wet and they have to touch it to be sure. - George Carlin
matt397 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-07-2010, 09:48 PM   #4
ss.org Regular

shredfreak is a jewel in the rough
Sounds surprizingly good, kinda reminds me of trivium (or at least as far as i can remember).

The zen of screaming is utter bullshit though . There is some good stuff around for that if you google around a bit. Although i have to say that you screaming in those tracks isn't halg as bad a you make it sound
shredfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-08-2010, 12:53 AM   #5
ss.org Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt397 View Post
Wow that was a productive comment.
Anyways, it's definitely not the kind of stuff I listen to vocals aside, but the vocals themselves sound solid, they don't sound forced, every note was nailed, it was very clean. kudos for posting clean vocals, most wouldn't have the balls to post vocals and those that do are almost always screaming.

thanks for the comments man. i actually did all of it (guitar and drums), but am mainly wanting critique on the vocals.
Unread 05-08-2010, 01:35 AM   #6
ss.org Regular

Bananalyze is a jewel in the rough
Someone else who sings!

You've definitely got better range than I do. I can't think of anything to say about your cleans, except that I'm not really into the style (but that's just a personal preference). From what I can hear you have good technique.
Bananalyze is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-08-2010, 07:41 AM   #7
Intrepid Jackass

Demiurge is a name known to allDemiurge is a name known to allDemiurge is a name known to allDemiurge is a name known to all
Your vocal performance is fine.

The positive is that you're hitting the notes and enunciating well.
The negative is that you're just hitting the notes and enunciating well.

Obviously, if you're asking for feedback then you're still growing, so you're at a good point right now. With the technical stuff down pat, you just need to develop style and nuanced delivery. Listen to records and see what seasoned vocalists are doing- they might lilt their timing, use vibrato, throw in some grit, and maybe even slur the enunciation for the sake of a fluid-sounding line... all those things are kind of like what guitarists might do in playing a melody. Being distinct and having a memorable delivery is the name of the game. There are thousands of people who can hit notes... who line up at American Idol auditions every year and get sent home because they never thought to develop a style to go with the ability.

Anyway, good work so far, and keep it up.

"I like Christian rock. It's very positive. It's not like those real musicians who think they're so cool and hip." -George Costanza
Demiurge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-08-2010, 02:18 PM   #8
ss.org Regular

Thanks for the advice guys. I guess I just sort of "sing"...I don't have that great of a style. I don't think I'll ever be in a band singing or that sort of thing, but it's nice to be able to express some ideas by recording vocals.
Unread 05-09-2010, 06:26 AM   #9
Pastor Of Muppets

ChasingTheSun is on a distinguished road
Frankly, i really dig your vocals. Sever Ties sounds really polished to me. The tone of your vocals really fits in with that metalcore style of music. Frankly, i'm envious because your voice shits all over my singing voice.... i have to struggle to stay anywhere near pitch, and even when i do i still sound like a whingy girl. For being able to avoid that, you get my props.

In regards to screaming Shred is right, Zen of Screaming is not really a guide to how to scream so much as the correct techniques for minimalizing damage to the vocalchords. The trick to finding your place in the screaming world is A) working out what style of screaming/growling (because there a tonne of them) it is that you're going for and then B) practicing it until it becomes second nature. In your case, the screams sound really quite good, but i need to ask how much (if at all) it hurts to do them, because a couple of your high ones sounded a bit strained. If it is a strain to hit and or sustain some of the high screams then you likely need to work on diaphram support, and ease back the amount of vocal chord restriction you're adding into the equation.

Don't know if any of that is help full suggestions... i'm a guitarist more than a singer, so i don't know how constructive it actually is, or whether i'm just preaching rudimentary singing 101.
ChasingTheSun is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-09-2010, 12:25 PM   #10
ss.org Irregular

Zand3 is a jewel in the rough
The music is a little poppy for me, even though it's not really pop at all. But the vocals sound really good to me. I would like to hear you over some fall of troy style music. Hey, since they broke up, maybe you need to be the next fall of troy style band hehe
Zand3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-11-2010, 05:55 AM   #11
Oh God Damnit!

Antenna is just really niceAntenna is just really nice
Reminds me of older and new As I lay dying, I think you sound great buddy. and just a side note the music is ....ing solid as well. Your vocals are mianstreamish, but that is a good thing it wouldn't be called mainstream if a shit ton of people didnt like it. I say you have a great foundation for vocals now all you gotta do is find little things to make you stand out on your own with your originality. Finding little tidbits of new stuff to learn how to do to add to your arsenal of vocalism, yea I know I just created a new word.
Antenna is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-11-2010, 07:22 AM   #12
Singlecoils = tr00

JohnIce is his own personal hero.JohnIce is his own personal hero.JohnIce is his own personal hero.JohnIce is his own personal hero.JohnIce is his own personal hero.JohnIce is his own personal hero.JohnIce is his own personal hero.JohnIce is his own personal hero.JohnIce is his own personal hero.JohnIce is his own personal hero.
Setting aside the fact that I'm quite allergic to that style of vocals, it's competent. You hit the notes and the lyrics are distinguishable, and it doesn't sound too forced. But there's definately not a lot of originality in your vocal style, and I think "mainstreamish" is a very gentle term for it.

That said, more power to anyone willing to do clean vocals in a metal context

- edit - Btw, using caps and chanspeak in thread titles is a great way to piss off the mods here. I'd keep that in mind if I were you, stuff like "plz kthx" has been known to get people banned here. Just a friendly warning, mate

Guitar player and vocalist of Mark Zero: https://www.facebook.com/MarkZeroOfficial
JohnIce is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-11-2010, 08:01 AM   #13
Just a Chump

SomeChump is a jewel in the rough
I think the vocals on both songs are great. Both are mainstream sounding vocals, Which is a good thing if you start playing radio pop rock XD.

PS: to JohnIce, keep on Funkin' bro. xD

My Monster Jams.
http://soundcloud.com/bmarshall-jams

Listen!
SomeChump is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-11-2010, 10:41 AM   #14
SS.org Regular

Espaul is a glorious beacon of lightEspaul is a glorious beacon of lightEspaul is a glorious beacon of light
I would say like the dude above.. This is exactly the sound that is popular today, so in the eyes of the majority your vocals are great!

You: "I'd like a Coke." Waiter:"Is Pepsi ok?" You: "Is Monopoly money ok?"

http://www.youtube.com/concretenor
Espaul is offline   Reply With Quote