homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   photo gallery   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > Music Discussion > Recording Studio
Heritage Guitar Talk - Click here! LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter

Recording Studio Discussion on everything recording based, such as mixing, mastering, mics, monitors and other gear.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 12-13-2009, 01:59 PM   #1
Mid-Level Asshole

7 Strings of Hate is his own personal hero.7 Strings of Hate is his own personal hero.7 Strings of Hate is his own personal hero.7 Strings of Hate is his own personal hero.7 Strings of Hate is his own personal hero.7 Strings of Hate is his own personal hero.7 Strings of Hate is his own personal hero.7 Strings of Hate is his own personal hero.7 Strings of Hate is his own personal hero.7 Strings of Hate is his own personal hero.
Feedback Score: 30 reviews
Comments on my mix please?

Music page of Chris Sereday - MP3 music page on SoundClick
Give my track a listen and give me some comments on any problems with the mix/tones/drums ect. or anything you might think that I could do to improve it.
It would be much appreicated Its not finished or anything, and I'm going to be putting layers and lead spots on here, but I'm trying to get a solid outline with rhythm guitars.

As far as what I'm using and doing -
Nuendo for my DAW. DKFH for my drums. On guitars i'm using a SM57 and my Rectoverb with my Zebra custom and a BKP painkiller. I'm running 2 tracks hard left and 2 tracks hard right. Each pair has 1 track of mic slightly off axis and 1 track in about the middle of the cone.

The bass is just a synth untill i can get my buddies bass to lay down a real track for it.

I was having trouble with the tone being a bit ice picky, so i backed down the presence, and the tone on my guitar a bit. The guitars are slightly compressed, and I had to do a little eq reduction at about 125 to 160 hz to get the balance back from the palm muted parts.
Its a work in progress, but I'v just listened to it too many times and I need some experienced, fresh ears to give me a hand.

Confront and Destroy!
7 Strings of Hate is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
Seven String

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 12-13-2009, 04:29 PM   #2
Recording Bro

Zami77 is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I really like your guitar tone. I dont think that needs to be changed at all. the drums are good, but have that dfh sound (not much you can do there) I would suggest bringing them up overall and increasing the volume of the kick and snare on the kit. If bringing them up is causing you to go over 0db then slap a limiter on em and/or compress em. The song is really cool with the thick guitars and the arpegiation going on. One prob with the guitars is at some points you sound a little out of time, but nothing huge. also i cant say i like the abrupt end but this IS a work in progress. overall good job.
Zami77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-13-2009, 04:35 PM   #3
Mid-Level Asshole

7 Strings of Hate is his own personal hero.7 Strings of Hate is his own personal hero.7 Strings of Hate is his own personal hero.7 Strings of Hate is his own personal hero.7 Strings of Hate is his own personal hero.7 Strings of Hate is his own personal hero.7 Strings of Hate is his own personal hero.7 Strings of Hate is his own personal hero.7 Strings of Hate is his own personal hero.7 Strings of Hate is his own personal hero.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zami77 View Post
I really like your guitar tone. I dont think that needs to be changed at all. the drums are good, but have that dfh sound (not much you can do there) I would suggest bringing them up overall and increasing the volume of the kick and snare on the kit. If bringing them up is causing you to go over 0db then slap a limiter on em and/or compress em. The song is really cool with the thick guitars and the arpegiation going on. One prob with the guitars is at some points you sound a little out of time, but nothing huge. also i cant say i like the abrupt end but this IS a work in progress. overall good job.
Hey thanks for the comments. I posted this on MG.org and some of the guys also mentioned upping the volume on the drums a tad and on the snare specifically, so I have doen that.
About the time, I totally know, I get a little latentcy sometimes and i think i had a tad of that going on in addition to being a little out of time, but i'm still writing on the end of it so i'm going to definatly retrack everthing when i'm finished. I just prefer to get it all in 1 take instead of peiceing them together.

Confront and Destroy!
Unread 12-13-2009, 04:41 PM   #4
Pro Thread Killer

TreWatson is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/TreWatson is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/TreWatson is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/TreWatson is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/TreWatson is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/TreWatson is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/TreWatson is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
i like the airy feel everything has.

little bit of constructive criticism:

the cymbals can stand a teeny boost, by maybe about .5 db or so.

also, as a guitar player, be careful of the picking, the parts are a little late, and it throws off the composition a little for me.
TreWatson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-13-2009, 05:02 PM   #5
Mid-Level Asshole

Quote:
Originally Posted by TreKita View Post
i like the airy feel everything has.

little bit of constructive criticism:

the cymbals can stand a teeny boost, by maybe about .5 db or so.

also, as a guitar player, be careful of the picking, the parts are a little late, and it throws off the composition a little for me.
i'll check the cymbals
and like i said, i know i'm a bit out of time, but i'l fix that up on final recordings
thanks

Confront and Destroy!
Unread 12-14-2009, 12:43 AM   #6
SS.org Irregular

iceythe is just really niceiceythe is just really nice
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
As already mentioned the guitars are a tad offset, but you already aware of this. The tone works well I think. At first a little airy but it works, too. When you get around to tweak the drums, I'll suggest to alter them slightly. I think everyone knows of the sounds of DFH or atleast those who have fiddled with it a bit. However they fit good in the mix (good programming!), that should be said.

The attack of compressor smooths out the strike after you palm mute, so it could be an idea to lower the release of it a bit (I'm not sure how high you may have set it). Further this will sound a bit off when the tracks are offset by some milliseconds. Have you checked in Device Settings that In/Out latencies are same?

Other than that, great track. I'd love to see where it goes and the leads that will follow.
iceythe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-16-2009, 09:17 AM   #7
Doom man of Doom.

Harry is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Harry is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Harry is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Harry is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Harry is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Harry is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Harry is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Guitar tone is alright. Not particularly professional sounding, but certainly not bad at all. Remove a teeny, tiny bit of mid range, maybe a 1dB cut around 850Hz to make the guitars sit in the mix better.
Two tracks panned hard left and 2 hard right?
Why not pan 100/80/80/100? That will bring out the 4 guitar tracks much better.
No offense intended, but kick drum isn't good sounding at all.
Very woofy and extremely lacking in attack.
I don't know if you're aware of how kick drums work in metal, but they have to be scooped in the mids so that all you're left with is the bass content and clicky higher end attack.
It'll take a while to figure out how to get it right and it varies from mix to mix, but yeah, try scooping anything between 250Hz to 1Khz really, to remove that woofy kick sound. Since I don't work with DKFH personally, I can't really give you specifics to work with.

Do what you need to get a tight sound, even if requires recording in 20 second chunks or whatever, because it's not wrong to do that, it's just another approach, so don't always feel bound to tracking all in one go.
Harry is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-16-2009, 10:04 AM   #8
Mid-Level Asshole

^thanks for the comments harry

I'l try that with the track panning.
As for the kick drum, i personally kinda like it for this slow metal style, i'l fidget with it and see how it sounds with more of a punch than thud.

Confront and Destroy!