homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   photo gallery   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > Music Discussion > Recording Studio
LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter

Recording Studio Discussion on everything recording based, such as mixing, mastering, mics, monitors and other gear.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 12-02-2009, 12:19 AM   #1
hurr im a durr

metulkult is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Arrow Please be brtually honest. (Metalcore content)

Hey guys, my band jst finished recording in a very small studio in a buddies house. (for free)
i think for free the production is good, but needs some work.

basically, can you please give me some pro's, some con's, and thigns we could improve? please don't be too harsh :P
(keep inmind that the average age here is 15, and we've been playing together for about 4 months)

and me, the clean singer in the chorus... i've been taking vocals lessons for 2 weeks now, and im still trying to find my voice. i think the reason why they didnt' turn out so well is because i wasn't payign attention to the key enough, and i just tried to do my own thing, which ended up blowing! D:

anyways, here you go...

Stand Before the Rising Tide on MySpace Music - Free Streaming MP3s, Pictures & Music Downloads

thank you!
-dan
SBTRT

grr... messed up the title... ahaha sorry :P

Last edited by metulkult; 12-02-2009 at 12:20 AM. Reason: derp
metulkult is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
Seven String

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 12-02-2009, 12:42 AM   #2
SS.org Regular

Semikiller is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Wow man. For a group of kids that played for only 4 months together, that's damn good playing! The tone however sounds like it was recorded in a garage. I'm guessing you mic'd up some amps instead of line-in recording? I'm not a pro at micing amps but I know you can get very good quality guitars with line-in (I use a POD just like 10294810284 other people). But ANYWAYS theres tons of threads on here about getting great tones out of your amps. So good luck with that. Good job man.
Semikiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-02-2009, 12:46 AM   #3
hurr im a durr

thanks man!
yeah we mic'd up, we tried the line in on my amp, but it absolutely BLEW.

i think i'm gonna start my own home recording though... POD, here i come!
Unread 12-02-2009, 01:00 AM   #4
SS.org Regular

Sliggy is just really niceSliggy is just really nice
Line-ins on amps always blow.

Ok so basically it's kinda hard to make any criticisms when you're so inexperienced and the only advice I can give is to "keep at it." Honestly all you guys need is time.

Having said that, there's some serious potential here. For how young you guys are / how little time you've had together as a band you're off to a great start. The song is awesome too!

If I was being critical though I'd say the following:

1. Guitars are too high-endy, too gainy, and have too much presence. There's just too much going on to consider this recording anywhere near clean. Whether more cuts are required during the mixing phase, or whether you just need to change your amp settings / micing techniques, something has to happen.

Honestly though the tone sounds like you guys used a condenser mic from a distance and no 57 near the cab, when your guitar sound should mostly be what a nearby 57 captures and the condenser in the back just fills the air (as a general statement). There's plenty of air, just no body.
Sliggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-02-2009, 01:08 AM   #5
hurr im a durr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliggy View Post

Ok so basically it's kinda hard to make any criticisms when you're so inexperienced and the only advice I can give is to "keep at it." Honestly all you guys need is time.

Having said that, there's some serious potential here. For how young you guys are / how little time you've had together as a band you're off to a great start. The song is awesome too!

If I was being critical though I'd say the following:

1. Guitars are too high-endy, too gainy, and have too much presence. There's just too much going on to consider this recording anywhere near clean. Whether more cuts are required during the mixing phase, or whether you just need to change your amp settings / micing techniques, something has to happen.

Honestly though the tone sounds like you guys used a condenser mic from a distance and no 57 near the cab, when your guitar sound should mostly be what a nearby 57 captures and the condenser in the back just fills the air (as a general statement). There's plenty of air, just no body.
we did use a condenser on the cab's yeeeup.
but yeah, it's our firt qexperience recording, so all we can do is learn, right? aha

thanks man, anything anyone can reccomend maybe songwriting wise too?
Unread 12-02-2009, 01:52 AM   #6
The HUMANCENTiPAD

DVRP is a glorious beacon of lightDVRP is a glorious beacon of lightDVRP is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
it sucks jk. i <3 the vocals
DVRP is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-02-2009, 02:02 AM   #7
SS.org Regular

shredguitar7 is just really niceshredguitar7 is just really nice
vocals totally remind me of Death a little bit... good shit..
shredguitar7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-02-2009, 02:15 AM   #8
SS.org Regular

Sliggy is just really niceSliggy is just really nice
You need to use a 57 AND a condenser (if you're using the by the book method, which I'd recommend for beginners). Google "phase issues," learn about them, and avoid them during the micing process. Mix in a fashion that makes your 57 signal (the body) the most prominent, and your condenser should be background to add some air.

Songwriting wise dude like I said, all it's going to take is time. The more theory you learn, the more you listen to, the more ideas you get, the better they'll be. Having said that the songs are already kicking ass. ....in' GREAT potential here!
Sliggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-02-2009, 04:01 AM   #9
that guy

Dylan7620 is just really niceDylan7620 is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliggy View Post
I agree and disagree on this. In one way it can be a lot easier taking the mic positioning out of the equation, which can (sometimes) lead to it sounding like a radio shack mic thrown at the end of a friggin cave. So in one respect direct can be useful for a lot of demo/EP stuff for those that aren't so experienced in the recording world. You know pretty much what you're getting.

On the other hand I see the blow opinion, lol. No matter what, I don't think it will ever quite capture how the preamp interacts with the power amp, how the power amp interacts with the speaker, how the speaker interacts with the mic and how proper mic technique can be magical in producing a really great guitar tone. IMO most direct sounds (for the time being) will sound about 80% of their full tone potential.

Bottom line:
Direct= microwave, it works and depending on the dish can taste good
Mic= home baked meal, if you know how to do it, it can be almost orgasmic.

"are there gonna be snacks? i heard there were gonna be snacks."
Dylan7620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-02-2009, 03:55 PM   #10
ss.org Regular

redlol is on a distinguished road
....in sick jus redo the guitars better man and it will be br000otalzz. i like how you went for a thrashy sorta sound onthe firsttrack sick playing
<hints id="hah_hints"></hints>
redlol is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-02-2009, 05:52 PM   #11
hurr im a durr

thanks alot guys!
ahaha, id don't think ym singer has ever heard of death :p (unfortunately)
he's into shit like, suicide silence, job for a cowboy, white chapelle, etc. basically deathcore.
and yeah we were definitely goign for a more thrashy sound on the first track, and maybe a little bit more traditional sound on the second track.
we're thinking about making about half our songs melodic, and the other half thrashy/death metally diminished riff kinda stuff. we're working ont his one song that sounds like it would come straight out of a morbid angel album almost, except with melodic leads... i don't know :P

but yeah, we definitely are now learning from oru mistakes,a nd we're going back to the same place to record 3 more songs in the new year, i can't complain, cause it's free. lol.