homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   photo gallery   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > General Discussion > Politics & Current Events
LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter

Politics & Current Events Discussion on political views, the war and world events here. Strictly moderated forum, so use your better judgement when posting.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 12-04-2007, 04:32 AM   #226
Stop the Madness!

Nick is a splendid one to beholdNick is a splendid one to beholdNick is a splendid one to beholdNick is a splendid one to beholdNick is a splendid one to behold
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
haha but i was still right

you were just more right.

still though if folk in the USA had to pay $8.31 it would be anarchy time lol
Nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
Seven String

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 12-04-2007, 04:39 AM   #227
Hard-On For Freedom™

JBroll is deemed true by Crom himselfJBroll is deemed true by Crom himselfJBroll is deemed true by Crom himselfJBroll is deemed true by Crom himselfJBroll is deemed true by Crom himselfJBroll is deemed true by Crom himselfJBroll is deemed true by Crom himselfJBroll is deemed true by Crom himselfJBroll is deemed true by Crom himselfJBroll is deemed true by Crom himselfJBroll is deemed true by Crom himselfJBroll is deemed true by Crom himself
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
No, it would be battery time.

Actually, wait... that might be a *good* thing...

*plots scheme to make gasoline even more ridiculously expensive for the entire world*

Jeff
JBroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-04-2007, 04:39 AM   #228
OldschoolGhettostyle

Naren has more eRep than he knows what to do with.Naren has more eRep than he knows what to do with.Naren has more eRep than he knows what to do with.Naren has more eRep than he knows what to do with.Naren has more eRep than he knows what to do with.Naren has more eRep than he knows what to do with.Naren has more eRep than he knows what to do with.Naren has more eRep than he knows what to do with.Naren has more eRep than he knows what to do with.Naren has more eRep than he knows what to do with.Naren has more eRep than he knows what to do with.Naren has more eRep than he knows what to do with.Naren has more eRep than he knows what to do with.Naren has more eRep than he knows what to do with.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick View Post
haha but i was still right

you were just more right.

still though if folk in the USA had to pay $8.31 it would be anarchy time lol
You were right in that UK gallons are 4.55 liters.

But my price of $8.31 would be an accurate conversion, while your gallon rate would be $10.01 which would be even more ridiculous.

Yeah, it would be anarchy in the US if gas prices got that expensive (without the dollar inflating as well). I can't even imagine $10 for a gallon of gas. That could cost over $100 to fill your tank.
Naren is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-04-2007, 04:44 AM   #229

Toshiro is the epitome of metal.Toshiro is the epitome of metal.Toshiro is the epitome of metal.Toshiro is the epitome of metal.Toshiro is the epitome of metal.Toshiro is the epitome of metal.Toshiro is the epitome of metal.Toshiro is the epitome of metal.Toshiro is the epitome of metal.
Feedback Score: 20 reviews
It would be time to buy a bicycle.
Toshiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-04-2007, 04:48 AM   #230
OldschoolGhettostyle

Naren has more eRep than he knows what to do with.Naren has more eRep than he knows what to do with.Naren has more eRep than he knows what to do with.Naren has more eRep than he knows what to do with.Naren has more eRep than he knows what to do with.Naren has more eRep than he knows what to do with.Naren has more eRep than he knows what to do with.Naren has more eRep than he knows what to do with.Naren has more eRep than he knows what to do with.Naren has more eRep than he knows what to do with.Naren has more eRep than he knows what to do with.Naren has more eRep than he knows what to do with.Naren has more eRep than he knows what to do with.Naren has more eRep than he knows what to do with.
Or buy a house right next to where you work.
Unread 12-04-2007, 04:50 AM   #231
Banned

Stitch deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.Stitch deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.Stitch deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.Stitch deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.Stitch deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.Stitch deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.Stitch deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.Stitch deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.Stitch deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.Stitch deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.Stitch deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.Stitch deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.Stitch deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.Stitch deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naren View Post
You were right in that UK gallons are 4.55 liters.

But my price of $8.31 would be an accurate conversion, while your gallon rate would be $10.01 which would be even more ridiculous.

Yeah, it would be anarchy in the US if gas prices got that expensive (without the dollar inflating as well). I can't even imagine $10 for a gallon of gas. That could cost over $100 to fill your tank.
As it stands, a saloon car over here will quite happily cost over £40 to fill up - $82.60.

Regardless of inflation or lack thereof of the USD, you guys simply don't pay what your petrol is worth, and you don't get taxed the obscene amount we do. Of the $2.20 per litre, between $1.20 and $1.60 is tax - I can't remember the exact figure.
Stitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-04-2007, 04:58 AM   #232
OldschoolGhettostyle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stitch View Post
As it stands, a saloon car over here will quite happily cost over £40 to fill up - $82.60.

Regardless of inflation or lack thereof of the USD, you guys simply don't pay what your petrol is worth, and you don't get taxed the obscene amount we do. Of the $2.20 per litre, between $1.20 and $1.60 is tax - I can't remember the exact figure.
Then why HAVE a car? I really don't see the point. I mean, in most parts of the US, a car is absolutely necessary to get anywhere, but in many parts of Europe, it isn't (not all, obviously).

I don't have a car here in Japan or a motorcycle. Even if someone gave me one, I'd sell it immediately. They're just more expensive than they're worth: insurance, the cost of the vehicle itself, the insane price of gas, the costs involved for keeping it checked up and fixing it when it breaks... I'm glad that I live in a country where I am not inconvenienced at all by not owning an "automobile."

Edit: And I don't see why the British government is raping you on taxes. It'd be expensive enough JUST paying the taxes alone.
Unread 12-04-2007, 05:11 AM   #233

Toshiro is the epitome of metal.Toshiro is the epitome of metal.Toshiro is the epitome of metal.Toshiro is the epitome of metal.Toshiro is the epitome of metal.Toshiro is the epitome of metal.Toshiro is the epitome of metal.Toshiro is the epitome of metal.Toshiro is the epitome of metal.
Feedback Score: 20 reviews
Our entire infrastructure is based on the automobile, this is why people over here flip out over gas prices.

We've dug our own grave on this one.
Toshiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-04-2007, 05:22 AM   #234
Tone Whore

garcia3441 is his own personal hero.garcia3441 is his own personal hero.garcia3441 is his own personal hero.garcia3441 is his own personal hero.garcia3441 is his own personal hero.garcia3441 is his own personal hero.garcia3441 is his own personal hero.garcia3441 is his own personal hero.garcia3441 is his own personal hero.garcia3441 is his own personal hero.
Quote:
Edit: And I don't see why the British government is raping you on taxes. It'd be expensive enough JUST paying the taxes alone.
To help pay for their social services.

(Correct me if I'm wrong.)

"Im sick and tired of hearing things
From uptight, short-sighted, narrow-minded hypocritics
All I want is the truth
Just gimme some truth. "
John Lennon
garcia3441 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-04-2007, 05:30 AM   #235
Stop the Madness!

Nick is a splendid one to beholdNick is a splendid one to beholdNick is a splendid one to beholdNick is a splendid one to beholdNick is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Then why HAVE a car? I really don't see the point. I mean, in most parts of the US, a car is absolutely necessary to get anywhere, but in many parts of Europe, it isn't (not all, obviously).

I don't have a car here in Japan or a motorcycle. Even if someone gave me one, I'd sell it immediately. They're just more expensive than they're worth: insurance, the cost of the vehicle itself, the insane price of gas, the costs involved for keeping it checked up and fixing it when it breaks... I'm glad that I live in a country where I am not inconvenienced at all by not owning an "automobile."

because our public transportation system is for want of a better phrase '....ing shit'

If i want to get to my home from the city centre after 11pm at night and without owning a car i have 2 options Pay for a cab which would run me $22 ish or walk in which case i would be home approximatley 3 and a half hours after leaving

Our public transport is also expensive. So owning a vehicle is the lesser fo 2 evils really.

Most european countries have great public transport which runs 24/7 but we have very few services like that here in glasgow and none that run anywhere near where i live.
Unread 12-04-2007, 05:35 AM   #236
Banned

Stitch deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.Stitch deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.Stitch deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.Stitch deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.Stitch deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.Stitch deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.Stitch deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.Stitch deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.Stitch deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.Stitch deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.Stitch deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.Stitch deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.Stitch deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.Stitch deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.
^ What Nick said.

Its hardly an issue for me now - I live less than one minute from the city centre - but in my old house, out on the suburbs, you had one bus every half an hour. It meandered into town taking 45 minutes to achieve a journey that takes 20 in the car, charged me £2.30 (almost $5) for the privelage - and that was one-way - I then had to pay that coming home too. It stopped running at about 10pm and didnt start again til 6am, so you either didn't have nights out or you stayed with friends.

Parking is a bitch over here too, but at least in a car you don't get the baolute ....ing NUTTERS you do on the public transport system, which seems to be the den of the drunk, homeless, 15&pregnant and the religious loons who are very ill in the head.

The car doesn't smell of cider, vomit, urine and smoke, either.
Unread 12-04-2007, 05:38 AM   #237
Stop the Madness!

Quote:
Originally Posted by garcia3441 View Post
To help pay for their social services.

(Correct me if I'm wrong.)

sorry wait a minute while i wipe the coke i just sprayed all over my monitor off...

Our social services are absolutley horrible.

If i need some sort of surgery i could wait like 4 months before its done. even if its time sensitive.

I play for my countrys basketball team. if i want to play basketball in a regulation size gym it will cost me roughly £100 to rent the gym for an hr and in some places double that.

When i lived in america i could walk into an open gym session for free.

There were outdoor courts all over the place allong with places people could play football and baseball.

we hardly have any outdoor facilities here at all basketball courts are very rare and even soccer pitches which youd think would be all over the place are few and far between and the ones that are there are not maintained and so end up getting ripped down or left to fall down, grass gets overgrown etc.

(im using sport as an example here as its one im familiar with)

When we say we get raped on tax we really mean it because we give them something and never get it back!!!!!

the only people that benifit from our high taxation are people who break the law and or take drugs and who really dont deserve anything.

rant\
Unread 12-04-2007, 05:44 AM   #238
Canis lupis obscurus

The Dark Wolf is Odin incarnateThe Dark Wolf is Odin incarnateThe Dark Wolf is Odin incarnateThe Dark Wolf is Odin incarnateThe Dark Wolf is Odin incarnateThe Dark Wolf is Odin incarnateThe Dark Wolf is Odin incarnateThe Dark Wolf is Odin incarnateThe Dark Wolf is Odin incarnateThe Dark Wolf is Odin incarnateThe Dark Wolf is Odin incarnateThe Dark Wolf is Odin incarnateThe Dark Wolf is Odin incarnateThe Dark Wolf is Odin incarnate
Quote:
^ What Nick said.

Its hardly an issue for me now - I live less than one minute from the city centre - but in my old house, out on the suburbs, you had one bus every half an hour. It meandered into town taking 45 minutes to achieve a journey that takes 20 in the car, charged me £2.30 (almost $5) for the privelage - and that was one-way - I then had to pay that coming home too. It stopped running at about 10pm and didnt start again til 6am, so you either didn't have nights out or you stayed with friends.

Parking is a bitch over here too, but at least in a car you don't get the baolute ....ing NUTTERS you do on the public transport system, which seems to be the den of the drunk, homeless, 15&pregnant and the religious loons who are very ill in the head.

The car doesn't smell of cider, vomit, urine and smoke, either.
Welcome to almost every city in the US, Stitch. Our public transit, with a few exceptions (New York, DC, Boston... maybe Philly and Chicago) is abysmal. Utterly.

http://www.wolf.org
The Dark Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-04-2007, 05:52 AM   #239
Tone Whore

garcia3441 is his own personal hero.garcia3441 is his own personal hero.garcia3441 is his own personal hero.garcia3441 is his own personal hero.garcia3441 is his own personal hero.garcia3441 is his own personal hero.garcia3441 is his own personal hero.garcia3441 is his own personal hero.garcia3441 is his own personal hero.garcia3441 is his own personal hero.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Wolf View Post
Our public transit, with a few exceptions (New York, DC, Boston... maybe Philly and Chicago) is abysmal. Utterly.
The closest bus stop to my house is about 9.5 miles.

All I want is the truth
Just gimme some truth. "
John Lennon
Unread 12-04-2007, 05:57 AM   #240
Tone Whore

Quote:
If i need some sort of surgery i could wait like 4 months before its done. even if its time sensitive.
Thankfully I didn't have to wait, but within weeks of being unable to pay I started getting calls from collection agencies.

Quote:
There were outdoor courts all over the place allong with places people could play football and baseball.

we hardly have any outdoor facilities here at all basketball courts are very rare and even soccer pitches which youd think would be all over the place are few and far between and the ones that are there are not maintained and so end up getting ripped down or left to fall down, grass gets overgrown etc.
Here you'd better have a gun. The neighborhoods that the outdoor courts are located aren't exactly the safest.

All I want is the truth
Just gimme some truth. "
John Lennon
Unread 12-04-2007, 05:59 AM   #241
Stop the Madness!

true the public transport for where i lived in MO was....well there wasnt any!!

However you guys dont get raped first on the price of learning to drive (we must now sit a minimum of 20 lessons usually priced around £17.50 ($35 each) so $700 to take lessons we then have to sit a theory test which i passed first time and cost me $40 for the pleaseure but if you fail you need to pay each time and keep sitting it till you pass. You then have to sit the practical test which will cost your around $160 and is the same that if you fail you pay each time you re sit.

Then you pass and you get raped on the price of buying a car you can get old cheap shit ones but if you want something half decent you pay out the ass for it. Then you need insurance which for young people in our country is a ....ing nightmare. Some of my friends in america were driving 5l V8 trans am firebirds at the age of 17. Insurance here for that car for a 17 year old would cost about $2-3000 a year (yes your read that right).

Then you get raped on the price of petrol.

Rule Britania...
Unread 12-04-2007, 06:00 AM   #242
Djavli te ponesli

El Caco is deemed true.El Caco is deemed true.El Caco is deemed true.El Caco is deemed true.El Caco is deemed true.El Caco is deemed true.El Caco is deemed true.El Caco is deemed true.El Caco is deemed true.El Caco is deemed true.El Caco is deemed true.El Caco is deemed true.
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Well you guys have described our public transport in major cities, where I live we have school bus, one taxi and a bus that leaves town once a day.
El Caco is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-04-2007, 06:02 AM   #243
Stop the Madness!

Quote:
Originally Posted by garcia3441 View Post
Here you'd better have a gun. The neighborhoods that the outdoor courts are located aren't exactly the safest.

I played on many, and against a few dodgey looking characters but there was respect for the game and i never had any problems.

Also people didnt feel the need to destroy the baskets for the sake of it and they were always maintained.
Unread 12-04-2007, 06:03 AM   #244
Banned

Quote:
Welcome to almost every city in the US, Stitch. Our public transit, with a few exceptions (New York, DC, Boston... maybe Philly and Chicago) is abysmal. Utterly.
Yes, but my point is that this is negated by the relatively low cost of petrol, vehicles, learning to drive...

Over here BOTH are bloody expensive.

And what Nick said is totally right - the majority of state benefits go to people like the smackhead couple I followed walking home today - shouting and weaving , hitting each other and grinning their toothless smile. Creeps.
Unread 12-04-2007, 06:06 AM   #245
Stop the Madness!

Quote:
And what Nick said is totally right - the majority of state benefits go to people like the smackhead couple I followed walking home today - shouting and weaving , hitting each other and grinning their toothless smile. Creeps.
lol so true
Unread 12-04-2007, 06:46 AM   #246
Canis lupis obscurus

The Dark Wolf is Odin incarnateThe Dark Wolf is Odin incarnateThe Dark Wolf is Odin incarnateThe Dark Wolf is Odin incarnateThe Dark Wolf is Odin incarnateThe Dark Wolf is Odin incarnateThe Dark Wolf is Odin incarnateThe Dark Wolf is Odin incarnateThe Dark Wolf is Odin incarnateThe Dark Wolf is Odin incarnateThe Dark Wolf is Odin incarnateThe Dark Wolf is Odin incarnateThe Dark Wolf is Odin incarnateThe Dark Wolf is Odin incarnate
Quote:
Yes, but my point is that this is negated by the relatively low cost of petrol, vehicles, learning to drive...
I wasn't disagreeing with you...

Just adding some commentary.

http://www.wolf.org
The Dark Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-04-2007, 06:50 AM   #247
Banned

Quote:
I wasn't disagreeing with you...

Just adding some commentary.
I know, sweetheart.

I just didn't want some jumped 14 year old using it as a stepping stone to jump at me from. I know YOU weren't saying what you said to deflate my argument, but some others may have done.
Unread 12-04-2007, 06:59 AM   #248
Tone Whore

Quote:
I played on many, and against a few dodgey looking characters but there was respect for the game and i never had any problems.

Also people didnt feel the need to destroy the baskets for the sake of it and they were always maintained.
That doesn't describe any of the courts here in Little Rock.

All I want is the truth
Just gimme some truth. "
John Lennon
Unread 12-04-2007, 07:07 AM   #249
Tone Whore

Quote:
you can get old cheap shit ones but if you want something half decent you pay out the ass for it.

[off-topic]A few years ago I bought a 1976 Reliant Scimitar on Ebay.

All I want is the truth
Just gimme some truth. "
John Lennon
Unread 12-04-2007, 07:08 AM   #250
Tone Whore

Quote:
true the public transport for where i lived in MO was....well there wasnt any!!

However you guys dont get raped first on the price of learning to drive (we must now sit a minimum of 20 lessons usually priced around £17.50 ($35 each) so $700 to take lessons we then have to sit a theory test which i passed first time and cost me $40 for the pleaseure but if you fail you need to pay each time and keep sitting it till you pass. You then have to sit the practical test which will cost your around $160 and is the same that if you fail you pay each time you re sit.

Then you pass and you get raped on the price of buying a car you can get old cheap shit ones but if you want something half decent you pay out the ass for it. Then you need insurance which for young people in our country is a ....ing nightmare. Some of my friends in america were driving 5l V8 trans am firebirds at the age of 17. Insurance here for that car for a 17 year old would cost about $2-3000 a year (yes your read that right).

Then you get raped on the price of petrol.

Rule Britania...
Damn!!!

All I want is the truth
Just gimme some truth. "
John Lennon