homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   photo gallery   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > General Discussion > Politics & Current Events
LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter

Politics & Current Events Discussion on political views, the war and world events here. Strictly moderated forum, so use your better judgement when posting.

Like Tree286Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 07-01-2012, 04:12 AM   #101
GHETTO KING OF SWAG

The Reverend is shredding to new heights.The Reverend is shredding to new heights.The Reverend is shredding to new heights.The Reverend is shredding to new heights.The Reverend is shredding to new heights.The Reverend is shredding to new heights.The Reverend is shredding to new heights.The Reverend is shredding to new heights.
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Am I living in a different Texas than you guys? Before I moved to Austin for school, I lived in Tomball, a suburb of Houston, for you out-of-state (and in some cases, out-of-country) folk. Ignorance runs rampant in this state, literally dyed in the wool, and I was disturbed to have to look and printed ignorance in Biology. We covered it again in World History, but in that context, it's okay, simply because it's necessary in understanding, well, history. To be clear, I perfectly understand why it's in the books: it appeases the powers that be here. But why does that make it okay?

Furthermore, this state could do to actually spend time developing the critical thinking skills of its citizens. There's no problem with having conservative values politically, or being religious. There is, however, a problem when you have no idea why in the .... you're conservative/religious other than, "Well, someone somewhere along the line told me it was right/true." Dangerous things arise from that, historically speaking. I'm not trying to grease the slippery slope, either. The average Texan, to be blunt and honest, is not a well-informed person. At best, it's Fox News and Rush Limbaugh on 740 KTRH, at worst, it's just hearsay. It's disturbing hearing my brother talk with his construction buddies about how Obama killed his mother to hide the truth about his birth certificate. And there's a lot more examples of that, albeit less extreme.

I feel like Texas has a lot of potential that's just been buried underneath this ridiculous 'Texan Pride' that in our modern times is unwarranted. Make this state a place to be proud of or get the .... out, that's what I say.

If you're going to 'like' my posts, give me some rep instead.

"
i just laughed at my own reflection, not sure if ugly or drunk" -Murmel

The Reverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
Seven String

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 07-01-2012, 02:45 PM   #102
Jessofperdition

tacotiklah is the epitome of metal.tacotiklah is the epitome of metal.tacotiklah is the epitome of metal.tacotiklah is the epitome of metal.tacotiklah is the epitome of metal.tacotiklah is the epitome of metal.tacotiklah is the epitome of metal.tacotiklah is the epitome of metal.tacotiklah is the epitome of metal.
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
I'm late to the party, but Superintendent Chalmers pretty much sums up my feelings on having Creationism or religion of any form being taught in school:

Religion is something that should be taught by your parents only. If I wanted someone else to do my job for me, I'd ship the kids to bible camp. I send them to school to get an education, and develop logical, critical thinking, and problem solving skills. If I need them to learn more about Jesus, I'll have 'em talk to the Pastor.
Do I believe in Creationism? Yes. Do I believe in Evolution? Yes. I don't see them as being mutually exclusive from one another. Who's to say that God didn't create the first microbes, and then let things take their course from there?

But that is all irrelevant because I would want my kids to hear what the scientific communities' take is on it. That's what I pay taxes for, and that's what getting them up and ready at 6am every morning would be for.
Mexi, Jakke, UnderTheSign and 3 others like this.

Not sure how to interact with transgender people? Read this:
http://tranifesto.com/transgender-fa...-trans-people/
Check out my soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/jessica-macarthur

"I have an easier time taking BabyMetal seriously than the vast majority of death and black metal that gets posted here." -wat

"You can fuck anything....how do you think evolution happened?" - mcd
tacotiklah is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-01-2012, 05:06 PM   #103
Pretty wisdomous

Jakke is pretty damn metal.Jakke is pretty damn metal.Jakke is pretty damn metal.Jakke is pretty damn metal.Jakke is pretty damn metal.Jakke is pretty damn metal.Jakke is pretty damn metal.Jakke is pretty damn metal.
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
^And that is the resonable christian approach

Thumbs up for Chalmers

Member of the Injustice League with Pooluke41, -42 and BrainArt

I am Dr. Disappointinator, after an accident with a radioactive school teacher I now possess the ability to instantly crush all hopes and desires of any individual at any given time

Emotions are for women, and gay children
Jakke is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-02-2012, 02:03 PM   #104
SS.org Regular

flint757 is a splendid one to beholdflint757 is a splendid one to beholdflint757 is a splendid one to beholdflint757 is a splendid one to beholdflint757 is a splendid one to behold
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Here is the problem "most" of you are facing. To say it isn't true (creationism that is) is to say for the most part that Christianity is just completely wrong which is something most of y'all have said and believe. (as do I mind you, I'm not in the slightest bit religious) This is not something most people across the globe believe however since most of the world is in fact religious. Many do not see it as just historically relevant, but relevant to their life and very existence. I do agree with ghst though that if you are religious it would be far more rational to believe that the big bang theory and evolution go hand in hand with religion.

As for reverend you aren't wrong (I know plenty of morons), but don't throw a blanket over this state I know just as many sane, intelligent people as I do ignorant. As for the problems with people, education, crime, etc. That is a problem most urban cities (LA, New York) and southern states (Florida, Mississippi, Louisiana and yes Texas) all share. There is nothing unique about our situation here. For the most part I hate and love this state. I enjoy the state as it is because it is my home and finding work/home that is affordable isn't difficult if you have a skill set that is usable here. I do hate what our school system has become here especially since Bush passed the "No Child Left Behind" act which simply makes it easier for dumb ....s across the US to graduate. Leveling the playing field just makes it harder for people with real talent to excel IMO. I do agree Texas Pride is a ridiculous concept and that most people are just sheep following the herd, but this isn't the only state with that attitude otherwise Fox wouldn't be doing so well.

As for that video about security on campus to make money or whatever that is utter bullshit. The bad schools in terms of violence NEED extra security and if I'm certain in bad areas of other states have just as much.

I can respect the opinions though from those who have physically observed the good, the bad and the ugly.

As for the creationism thing once again that is rather off topic since before this pamphlet existed our textbooks have had them. It is a worthy topic on its own, but is not all that relevant here all things considered.

"In Djod We Trust"

flint757 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-03-2012, 02:30 PM   #105
ss.org Irregular

Nonservium is a glorious beacon of lightNonservium is a glorious beacon of lightNonservium is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
As a Texan I am deeply disappointed in our leadership and my neighbors on a nearly daily basis.

Religious beliefs have their place, that place is not biology. History and cultural classes, knock yourself out, but science? No.

To oppose critical thinking skills is just baffling to me. I realize that power corrupts but to openly support the creation of mindless idiots is disgusting no matter how you dress it up.

Most parents aren't fit to teach their kids anything beyond the basics like tying a shoe and wiping your own ass. Parental authority is laughable in the light of just how many idiots there are in this state. Look around you next time you're at Wal-Mart, fellow Texans, imagine all these people being the sole educational provider for their chidlren. That thought is ....ing terrifying to me.

Like it or not, there is a large majority in this state of ignorant, backwards, close-minded, mentally incompetant simpletons who'd prefer nothing but for things to stay the same in all directions forever. Most will never leave their social circle and will never be exposed to cultures differing from their own. New ideas aren't something they readily accept on any front.

I spent 22 years living with these cretins out west and I can tell you with 100% certainty that there are more of them than us. "Us" being rational, forward thinking, socially responsible down to earth people who can do things like simple math, reading and comprehension. I cannot say that I know an equal amount of sane, intelligent people here and it's not from lack of trying. I can see how you got that impression from living in a large city as things mix better here. Leave that city and you're headed back in time and definitely closer to special ed.
Nonservium is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-03-2012, 05:29 PM   #106
Luguta Tapping Pro~

Cynic is a name known to allCynic is a name known to allCynic is a name known to allCynic is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonservium View Post
Most parents aren't fit to teach their kids anything beyond the basics like tying a shoe and wiping your own ass.
Most teachers at my high school weren't really qualified to teach either, to be quite honest. One day, the woman who "taught" us Geometry told us about palindromes in a way that sounded like a grown person speaking with an infant. ....ing around, I told her, "Hey, did you know that 'TacoCat' is a palindrome?" It took her a good five minutes writing it on the chalkboard before turning around and responding with "You're right! It is!" I shit you not.

Not sure how that really added anything to this discussion, but I just wanted to share my experience.
synrgy and Nonservium like this.
Cynic is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-06-2012, 03:41 PM   #107
Powermetalbassist

Powermetalbass will become famous soon enough
In reponse to the OP's call for Cecession. I believe that is not an option in the states anymore. Also pretty sure most of the South East (Former CSA/Currently the Bible Belt) is going along with this.

Amurica - Land of the free and home of the Whopper?
Powermetalbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-06-2012, 03:56 PM   #108
ALL HAIL DJOD

Rick is Odin incarnateRick is Odin incarnateRick is Odin incarnateRick is Odin incarnateRick is Odin incarnateRick is Odin incarnateRick is Odin incarnateRick is Odin incarnateRick is Odin incarnateRick is Odin incarnateRick is Odin incarnateRick is Odin incarnateRick is Odin incarnateRick is Odin incarnate
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cynic View Post
Most teachers at my high school weren't really qualified to teach either, to be quite honest. One day, the woman who "taught" us Geometry told us about palindromes in a way that sounded like a grown person speaking with an infant. ....ing around, I told her, "Hey, did you know that 'TacoCat' is a palindrome?" It took her a good five minutes writing it on the chalkboard before turning around and responding with "You're right! It is!" I shit you not.
AxeHappy likes this.

Head of Agile Gestapo

Line 6 XDS95-->Line 6 POD X3 Pro-->Matrix GT800FX-->Line 6 Spidervalve 4x12 cabinet
Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-08-2012, 01:16 AM   #109
the green machine

Zugster is just really niceZugster is just really nice
Necris and Gothic Headhunter like this.

...this rig requires something with a little more kick... plutonium!
Zugster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-08-2012, 01:12 PM   #110
SS.org Regular

flint757 is a splendid one to beholdflint757 is a splendid one to beholdflint757 is a splendid one to beholdflint757 is a splendid one to beholdflint757 is a splendid one to behold
I'd like to point out that most Texans do in fact live in cities. We don't all ride horses and a lot of us don't even have an accent (or wear 10 gallon hats ). In fact people form the north east have a WAY stronger accent. I think the average population for a rural town is somewhere around 2500 so not many when you consider that rural towns are spread out between a lot of nothing. In fact if you drive across Texas you'll hit major cities and every like 50 miles or so a small town with a whole lot of nothing in the middle. (I'm sure my numbers aren't exact)

Religion itself is losing members on a daily basis, but like all things there is a transition that occurs and for those on one side they don't want it to happen and those on the other want it to happen faster. (neither will succeed)

Not sure how this adds to the discussion, but it just seems like the rest of the world needed a "sit down we need to chat"

"In Djod We Trust"

Unread 07-08-2012, 01:27 PM   #111
SS.org Regular

pink freud is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/pink freud is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/pink freud is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/pink freud is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/pink freud is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/pink freud is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/pink freud is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/
Quote:
Originally Posted by flint757 View Post
I'd like to point out that most Texans do in fact live in cities. We don't all ride horses and a lot of us don't even have an accent (or wear 10 gallon hats ). In fact people form the north east have a WAY stronger accent. I think the average population for a rural town is somewhere around 2500 so not many when you consider that rural towns are spread out between a lot of nothing. In fact if you drive across Texas you'll hit major cities and every like 50 miles or so a small town with a whole lot of nothing in the middle. (I'm sure my numbers aren't exact)

Religion itself is losing members on a daily basis, but like all things there is a transition that occurs and for those on one side they don't want it to happen and those on the other want it to happen faster. (neither will succeed)

Not sure how this adds to the discussion, but it just seems like the rest of the world needed a "sit down we need to chat"
I think the overriding point is that, sure, Texas may have some cosmopolitan centers, but it is essentially a given that Texas goes red every four years, and in essence will be supporting the GOP platform. That's the thing about voting for people, you support them through that effort.
pink freud is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-08-2012, 02:48 PM   #112
SS.org Regular

Yeah tis true we are mostly red which is why I've been trying as hard as any one citizen can to get the popular vote for Senator, governor, president, etc. in place. It may not make a difference in the long run (or short run), but it least I can go to sleep at night knowing that when I vote Dem or 3rd party that once all the votes in my county or state are gathered my vote did not go to the person I DID NOT vote for. Why we don't use popular vote for ALL elections is ridiculous to me. Given today's technology (and more informed voters than when it was first initiated albeit many are still uninformed) that we still use the electoral college system is just as ridiculous. It isn't like they keep things bias free or anything in fact I'd say the opposite occurs.
AxeHappy likes this.

"In Djod We Trust"

Unread 07-08-2012, 03:42 PM   #113
Luguta Tapping Pro~

Cynic is a name known to allCynic is a name known to allCynic is a name known to allCynic is a name known to all
Quote:

I can confirm that Northeast Texas does in fact have some twangin' going on. I'm fortunate enough to not have one, though. :3

Anyways, Texas isn't like how some of you make it out to be. Sure, there are some places close to what you describe, but that isn't Texas as a whole.
Cynic is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-08-2012, 03:51 PM   #114
SS.org Regular

Quote:
I can confirm that Northeast Texas does in fact have some twangin' going on. I'm fortunate enough to not have one, though. :3

Anyways, Texas isn't like how some of you make it out to be. Sure, there are some places close to what you describe, but that isn't Texas as a whole.
I meant northeast like Brooklyn accent, but yes there are areas in the north and west Texas with heavy accent. I apparently I have a dry/general American accent which I guess means I don't have one at all (I'm sure the Brits would disagree however) For some reason the smaller the community the more of a southern draw people have (in the south that is). Such a bizarre thing IMO.

I visited South Carolina and you want to talk Southern Draw, oh my god they talked so slow it was beyond ridiculous.

"In Djod We Trust"

Unread 07-10-2012, 07:59 AM   #115
ss.org Irregular

Nonservium is a glorious beacon of lightNonservium is a glorious beacon of lightNonservium is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
I visited South Carolina and you want to talk Southern Draw, oh my god they talked so slow it was beyond ridiculous.
I worked with a lady from SC and I couldn't stand talking to her. It was 100% slow motion conversation. Drove me completely nuts to even have to listen to her.
flint757 likes this.
Unread 07-10-2012, 06:20 PM   #116
Not your bro, bro.

Treeunit212 is just really niceTreeunit212 is just really nice
Quote:

Of course not. No state is represented by the crazies that just happen to have their voices heard the loudest. The difference is that these days those voices are the ones legislating and deciding the course of our future.

It's happening everywhere. I could make a thread about my home state of Michigan throwing a woman out of the house floor for saying the word Vagina in a debate about women's rights. In my own counties' town hall, four policemen were called in response to a group of women having a differing opinion on the counties' interpretation of the Citizens United ruling.

This kind of behavior and influence in ignorance needs to be spotlighted and ridiculed wherever it is, no matter how minuscule it seems. That's how you fight this; not by defending your state as a whole.

"Far best is he who knows all things himself; Good, he that hearkens when men counsel right;
But he who neither knows, nor lays to heart another's wisdom, is a useless wight." -Aristotle

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Bury-T...app_2405167945
http://www.reverbnation.com/burythecreator
Treeunit212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-10-2012, 07:46 PM   #117
SS.org Regular

DslDwg is a jewel in the rough
You guys realize that this document is written by a group of about thirty Texas Republicans and does not represent the beliefs part and parcel of all Texans.

I consider myself conservative but am not a registered Rebulican. I do agree with some of the concepts outlined in this document and others I do not. I'm guessing that's how most Americans are on most hot policitcal topics.

Conservative does not always go hand in hand with evangelical and the idea that all Texans are just some bible thumping wack jobs is a little narrow minded.
flint757 likes this.
DslDwg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-10-2012, 07:53 PM   #118
ALL HAIL DJOD

Rick is Odin incarnateRick is Odin incarnateRick is Odin incarnateRick is Odin incarnateRick is Odin incarnateRick is Odin incarnateRick is Odin incarnateRick is Odin incarnateRick is Odin incarnateRick is Odin incarnateRick is Odin incarnateRick is Odin incarnateRick is Odin incarnateRick is Odin incarnate
Quote:
Originally Posted by DslDwg View Post
You guys realize that this document is written by a group of about thirty Texas Republicans and does not represent the beliefs part and parcel of all Texans.

I consider myself conservative but am not a registered Rebulican. I do agree with some of the concepts outlined in this document and others I do not. I'm guessing that's how most Americans are on most hot policitcal topics.

Conservative does not always go hand in hand with evangelical and the idea that all Texans are just some bible thumping wack jobs is a little narrow minded.
Geoff, you clearly forgot that we all have horses and all wear 10 gallon hats.

Head of Agile Gestapo

Line 6 XDS95-->Line 6 POD X3 Pro-->Matrix GT800FX-->Line 6 Spidervalve 4x12 cabinet
Unread 07-10-2012, 08:58 PM   #119
SS.org Regular

pentecost will become famous soon enough
Quote:
I meant northeast like Brooklyn accent, but yes there are areas in the north and west Texas with heavy accent. I apparently I have a dry/general American accent which I guess means I don't have one at all (I'm sure the Brits would disagree however) For some reason the smaller the community the more of a southern draw people have (in the south that is). Such a bizarre thing IMO.

the drawl isn't uniquely southern, i've heard it from central illinois to northern iowa. in those areas, however, it's purely unique to the rural and/or socioeconomically depressed. southern crosses, meth, anti-obama stickers, and welfare checks... tough knot of whatthe.... to chew on, especially with such poor dental hygeine.
pentecost is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-10-2012, 09:12 PM   #120
SS.org Regular

So are we saying that the drawl is mental retardation
Bigfan and Gothic Headhunter like this.

"In Djod We Trust"

Unread 07-10-2012, 09:52 PM   #121
Bonitis.

Necris is shredding to new heights.Necris is shredding to new heights.Necris is shredding to new heights.Necris is shredding to new heights.Necris is shredding to new heights.Necris is shredding to new heights.Necris is shredding to new heights.
All of you Texans are Hank Hill in my eyes.

Extreme Syncopation =/= Poly-rhythmic

Necris is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-11-2012, 12:18 AM   #122
SS.org Regular

NO!!!!!!

I'm Bobby
Necris likes this.

"In Djod We Trust"

Unread 07-11-2012, 12:48 AM   #123
Reggie J Worthington

Sicarius is just really niceSicarius is just really nice
Can I be the french horn guy that lived in the Mega-lo-mart?
Gothic Headhunter likes this.

Through victory, my chains are broken.

Sicarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-11-2012, 06:14 AM   #124
ss.org Irregular

Quote:
I'm Bobby
GOT'DAMNIT BOY PULL YA PANTS UP!
flint757 likes this.
Unread 07-11-2012, 10:03 AM   #125
ALL HAIL DJOD

I'm definitely Boomhauer.

Head of Agile Gestapo