homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   photo gallery   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > General Discussion > Politics & Current Events
LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter

Politics & Current Events Discussion on political views, the war and world events here. Strictly moderated forum, so use your better judgement when posting.

Like Tree120Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 06-23-2012, 12:27 PM   #1
Nothing to see here

-42- is a splendid one to behold-42- is a splendid one to behold-42- is a splendid one to behold-42- is a splendid one to behold-42- is a splendid one to behold
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Pretty Sure Everyone is Against Racism...

...but words really fail me with regards to this campaign.

It's one thing to bring attention to the subtle aspects of racism that whites in general may take for granted, but I'm pretty sure that this is just whoring for controversy.
-42- is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Alt Today
Seven String

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 06-23-2012, 12:46 PM   #2
MFB
ExBendable

MFB is the epitome of metal.MFB is the epitome of metal.MFB is the epitome of metal.MFB is the epitome of metal.MFB is the epitome of metal.MFB is the epitome of metal.MFB is the epitome of metal.MFB is the epitome of metal.MFB is the epitome of metal.
Feedback Score: 13 reviews
Agreed.

This is kind of one of those unspoken things that people know about when you realize what racism is and look at it in the bigger picture. I saw a great tumblr post once talking about "white privilege" and how it doesn't mean we're better (and I would hope no white person actually thinks that's what it means we're entitled to) but that it means we'll never have insults that actually hurts us or remind us of the struggles we've had to overcome because they're virtually non-existant.
groph likes this.

(´・ω・`)

In space, no one can hear you bree. - Metal Ken
MFB is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-23-2012, 12:48 PM   #3
themuthaphukkindeath

highlordmugfug is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/highlordmugfug is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/highlordmugfug is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/highlordmugfug is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/highlordmugfug is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/highlordmugfug is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/highlordmugfug is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/
Feedback Score: 18 reviews
So... all white people should feel bad?

Yeah, that premise worked for feminists (all men are rapists) and for gay rights (all straight people are assholes), why not try it here?

Stupid ad is stupid.
highlordmugfug is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-23-2012, 12:49 PM   #4
SS.org Regular

athawulf is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Dramatic much?

This is a load of crap. Though I guess, according to this, that I don't have the inherent capacity to understand what they're suggesting.

On an aside, I like how the first girl's pupils are tiny. She seems to be uncomfortably blasted by a white camera light.
Metal_Webb likes this.

athawulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-23-2012, 12:52 PM   #5
MFB
ExBendable

MFB is the epitome of metal.MFB is the epitome of metal.MFB is the epitome of metal.MFB is the epitome of metal.MFB is the epitome of metal.MFB is the epitome of metal.MFB is the epitome of metal.MFB is the epitome of metal.MFB is the epitome of metal.
Feedback Score: 13 reviews
Calling it "crap" isn't right, as it is true and these things DO apply to us; but calling us out on it like it's our fault for how the past 3XX years of history played out isn't changing things either.

Also, the last ad poster with the writing on her neck about the "wrong neighborhood" - that can apply to ANY race.

(´・ω・`)

In space, no one can hear you bree. - Metal Ken
MFB is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-23-2012, 01:14 PM   #6
SS.org Regular

athawulf is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
I was referring to the ad campaign as a load of crap. Which it is.

And most of the comments which aren't even touching on tangible aspects of "white privilege"

comments about fair skin, about being normal, being unable to detect racism etc. All crap.

athawulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-23-2012, 01:46 PM   #7
Sea Turtles mate

Michael T is shredding to new heights.Michael T is shredding to new heights.Michael T is shredding to new heights.Michael T is shredding to new heights.Michael T is shredding to new heights.Michael T is shredding to new heights.Michael T is shredding to new heights.
Feedback Score: 50 reviews

The project that I'm working on is so secret... Even I don't know what I'm doing!

Michael T is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-23-2012, 02:55 PM   #8
Correct-handed

leftyguitarjoe is pretty damn metal.leftyguitarjoe is pretty damn metal.leftyguitarjoe is pretty damn metal.leftyguitarjoe is pretty damn metal.leftyguitarjoe is pretty damn metal.leftyguitarjoe is pretty damn metal.leftyguitarjoe is pretty damn metal.leftyguitarjoe is pretty damn metal.
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
This is stupid. Are they complaining about the lack of racism towards white people?

The past is irrelevant. What our ancestors did has nothing to do with us. We need to work on spreading tolerance and understanding for our current and future generations.
SirMyghin likes this.

"Yeah, sometimes when you're cool, you spontaneously combust into a fireball of awesomeness" - RenegadeDave
leftyguitarjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-23-2012, 04:20 PM   #9
SS.org Regular

Blind Theory is just really niceBlind Theory is just really nice
All I can get out of this is that they want some ....ed up form of equality. It is like, if racism won't go away completely then EVERYONE needs to be put on the same level and people need to be exponentially more racist towards white people just...because? I guess. As sad as our history is in some aspects, people need to realize that non-white races will always have a certain stigma about them if thinking like that remains common. This is just dumb.
Blind Theory is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-23-2012, 04:27 PM   #10
Grinder of strings

Baelzebeard is a glorious beacon of lightBaelzebeard is a glorious beacon of lightBaelzebeard is a glorious beacon of light
This sort of message only pushes people away from each other. I understand what they are "trying" to say, (compassion towards people of other races) but the delivery really puts me off.

It feels like they are trying to say that if you are white you should feel guilty about it, or that you are incapable of understanding racism from another perspective.

Is this from the mind of someone who may be "projecting" their own guilt on all whites? Who knows, maybe someday we can get along.
Baelzebeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-23-2012, 04:28 PM   #11
ss.org Regular

angelophile will become famous soon enough
For a while I was building up cultural stereotypes.
not necessarily a bad thing. I still read books on hinduism, buddhism, taoism etc + have loads of "world music" CDs.

these days I try to think in human universals, but am fascinated by differences, kind of a paradox.

(Maybe I'm trying to make up for not having perfect pitch?)

I'm getting sick of religious B.S. these days (as is my right I suppose)
and am returning to secular humanism.

I still have an "inner critic" that makes embarrassing superficial judgements of people, I think most people have to some degree.

Obviously what we see in others is often a reflection of ourselves, know yourself and know other people.
anthonyferguson likes this.
angelophile is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-23-2012, 04:35 PM   #12
Frets? What frets?

Varcolac has much to be proud ofVarcolac has much to be proud ofVarcolac has much to be proud ofVarcolac has much to be proud ofVarcolac has much to be proud ofVarcolac has much to be proud of
White privilege. We should be aware of it. Many people aren't. We don't need to hate ourselves, just need to realise the unfair advantage that your skin colour and centuries of institutional power has granted us.

Possibly not the best delivery of the message, but I can get behind the idea.

SchecterWhore: "Development, phase four. Beethoven
takes you for a ride through space in his Pontiac Trans Am."
Varcolac is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-23-2012, 04:45 PM   #13
came and went

TRENCHLORD is a name known to allTRENCHLORD is a name known to allTRENCHLORD is a name known to allTRENCHLORD is a name known to all
I know I don't feel guilty one bit. Try as they may.

Spending your first 23yrs. in a whose who of various 70s model trailers will tend to erase most self guilt of white priviledge.

But for those who grew up rich or middle-class, yes, you should hate yourself ( just being sarcastic) lol.
athawulf and Semichastny like this.
TRENCHLORD is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-23-2012, 08:15 PM   #14
Intrepid Jackass

Demiurge is a name known to allDemiurge is a name known to allDemiurge is a name known to allDemiurge is a name known to all
We already had a thread on this bullshit campaign. Real racism is terrible and we are still a long way from moving past it; creating a type of racism where someone is supposedly racism by being their race is just beyond the pale counter-productive and intellectually dishonest.

"I like Christian rock. It's very positive. It's not like those real musicians who think they're so cool and hip." -George Costanza
Demiurge is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-24-2012, 01:56 AM   #15
I Am the Table

renzoip is a glorious beacon of lightrenzoip is a glorious beacon of lightrenzoip is a glorious beacon of light
From my experience as a person who grew up in a country when I was a majority, and now live in one where I am a minority, I can say the following:

It's not hard to see racism when you are white, I'm sure the white people behind this campaign do not posses any special power that allows them to see more than other white people could, or to sympathize with the victims of institutionalized racism. I believe it's hard to acknowledge any form of discrimination against a minorities when you are a majority who does not want to lose his/her social privileges, whatever the context may be.

As far as the ads go, yes, they are not pretty. I did not enjoy seeing them, but I think that's the whole point of it, to bring to our attention a subject that makes many of us uncomfortable, and makes many of us get all defensive.
glassmoon0fo likes this.

DARK LEGACY - Progressive Power Metal from South FL!
renzoip is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-24-2012, 02:10 AM   #16
No longer 7-less

devolutionary is a jewel in the rough
OK, so I'm more privileged for being white. Cool. So... what do you want me to do about this completely uncontrollable fact of my existence? Kill myself? OK!
Anthony likes this.

You know, I'm not going to hate or target you for neg. rep. if you leave your name. I'm sure I can find plenty of other reasons to hate

Stop calling it detuned. It's tuned, just not to standard. It's not a ....ing DeVries.
devolutionary is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-24-2012, 02:47 AM   #17
I Am the Table

renzoip is a glorious beacon of lightrenzoip is a glorious beacon of lightrenzoip is a glorious beacon of light
Now that I actually looked at the website, the ads make more sense. And I don't see how they are trying to make people white people feel guilty about their skin color. I'm sure they are aware that this so called "white guilt" is stupid in that it does absolutely nothing to address the issue of institutionalized racism. I don't think that is what they are advocating, as so many of these defensive knee jerk reactions assume. I believe the whole point is to address what they believe is a problem. And you can't address a problem if you don't even want to admit that there is one to begin with.

Now, I still have some criticism for the campaign. For one, while it asks people to become aware and take action, I think it should be a little more specific about what kind of action should be taken. Another thing, while I think the campaign is well intentioned, I think it is still too "white-centered". What I mean by that is that they seem to believe the issue of racism, whether personal prejudice or institutionalized discrimination, is one where only "whites" have a burden, or a responsibility to address. Minorities, in many cases remain deeply divided, self conscious, and apathetic; this is very detrimental as well. IMO campaigns like these should forget the top-down approach they seem to be taking, and be more inclusive, so that all people could join forces and destroy the current social hierarchies.
glassmoon0fo likes this.

DARK LEGACY - Progressive Power Metal from South FL!
renzoip is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-24-2012, 04:50 AM   #18
Banned

ZEBOV is a name known to allZEBOV is a name known to allZEBOV is a name known to allZEBOV is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
This reminds me of a guy I was in jail with. He was black/white mixed and was always trying to act like he's a victim of racism. After he called me a racist, I threw him off a balcony, went downstairs, and beat the shit out of him some more. THAT is how much the racism card pisses me off. I judge people by their own merits. Granted, I call people racist names when they piss me off bad enough, and when I'm that pissed, I want to slug it out.
Anthony likes this.
ZEBOV is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-24-2012, 04:54 AM   #19
Geek-chic

liamh is a splendid one to beholdliamh is a splendid one to beholdliamh is a splendid one to beholdliamh is a splendid one to beholdliamh is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by MFB View Post

This is kind of one of those unspoken things that people know about when you realize what racism is and look at it in the bigger picture. I saw a great tumblr post once talking about "white privilege" and how it doesn't mean we're better (and I would hope no white person actually thinks that's what it means we're entitled to) but that it means we'll never have insults that actually hurts us or remind us of the struggles we've had to overcome because they're virtually non-existant.
"I'm a white man, you can't even hurt my feelings. What can you call a white man which really digs deep? Cracker? What a drag, bringing me back to the days of owning land and people" - Louis C.k
ittoa666 likes this.
liamh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-24-2012, 05:11 AM   #20
Needs more strings

Metal_Webb is a glorious beacon of lightMetal_Webb is a glorious beacon of lightMetal_Webb is a glorious beacon of light
"We're lucky we're white.
Lucky to be the majority"

Yeah, the 2.5 billion that make up China and India alone have something to say about that.

This whole campaign reeks of a similar smell to the whole "KONY2012" thing. Rich white kids getting all ruffled up about something they have no idea about.

"By the way, melted binding looks like marshmallow. But it really doesn't taste like it." - MapleLeaf97
Metal_Webb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-24-2012, 06:25 AM   #21
SS.org Regular

Nyx Erebos is a jewel in the rough
Most of racists people are dumb so you have to use a dumb reasoning to convince them.
Nyx Erebos is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-24-2012, 09:06 AM   #22
SS Contributor

Rev2010 is pretty damn metal.Rev2010 is pretty damn metal.Rev2010 is pretty damn metal.Rev2010 is pretty damn metal.Rev2010 is pretty damn metal.Rev2010 is pretty damn metal.Rev2010 is pretty damn metal.Rev2010 is pretty damn metal.
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
I don't know... the last lawfirm I worked for (I'm a Desktop Support Tech) my manager was hispanic and my supervisor was black. Both had higher held positions and plenty more cash than I. My mother and father divorced when I was two cause he was a nasty alcoholic. She raised my borther and I while on Welfare, which wasn't enough to pay all the bills so she had to do some occasional cleaning side work.

I dropped out of high school when I was 18, but that is because they were teaching me all the shit I already learned in my elementary school. I managed to make an ok life because I am an autodidact - I love to learn a lot on my own and was doing computers since like 6 years old.

I don't feel privileged at all. One of my hispanic co-worker desktop techs went on to become an IT manager and I am happy for him. I never wanted to be confined to a chair all day so I passed on opportunities to advance, one of which that same guy took to further his career.

Anyhow, I get the message of the ad... and maybe it's because I live in/around New York City that things are seen differently for me. Perhaps here we level out more than other parts of the country and have come further when it comes to racial equality so I don't notice the issue as much. What I will say though is I personally feel the more we bring up racism and keeps it's memory alive and well the longer it will live on. These ads IMO are NOT wise nor helpful to the cause because it focuses on another race and points out things that will just upset others and further create bias. I'm not saying we should all just put the blinders on, but it could've been done better. Why not a picture of a black man with slogans written on his face like, "Why am I not just as good as you?" or somethings like that? Pointing at our skin color and essentially calling us "Entitled" and "Favored" is pretty ridiculous and is a gross stereotype in and of itself.

Rev.

Rev2010 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-24-2012, 09:28 AM   #23
Dragonblade629

Hemi-Powered Drone is a glorious beacon of lightHemi-Powered Drone is a glorious beacon of lightHemi-Powered Drone is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Originally Posted by athawulf View Post
I was referring to the ad campaign as a load of crap. Which it is.

And most of the comments which aren't even touching on tangible aspects of "white privilege"

comments about fair skin, about being normal, being unable to detect racism etc. All crap.
I know what you're saying, their comments themselves hold a bit of racism, it seems.

They did a rather poor job at shopping the writing on the faces.
Hemi-Powered Drone is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-24-2012, 10:09 AM   #24
Banned

loki can only hope to improve
How is this not ant-white racism?

To me it has nothing to do with actual skin color; it has to do with how you were raised and how you act. There is a "Mainstream American" culture and anyone is free to join. You don't act like a criminal, you get an education and you work hard to succeed at your job. There are plenty of minorities that have followed the formula and are as successful as anyone else.

It has nothing to do with skin color. Even if you are white there are going to be people who are against you if you are tall or short, fat or skinny, strong or weak, rich or poor, smart or stupid. There are always people who will not like you no matter what but if you apply yourself and persevere you will eventually come out ahead.

I think it is hypocritical for some upper-middle class minority professor, who has proven minorities have a chance to succeed, to claim otherwise. Those who do fail have made seriously flawed decisions with how they conduct their lives. If you choose to identify with a dysfunctional sub-culture than you will suffer a hard life. Live like a gangsta, die like a gangsta. Live like a hard working American, die like a hard working American. Those who claim it is about race speak with a forked tongue.
loki is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-25-2012, 11:28 AM   #25
Not your bro, bro.

Treeunit212 is just really niceTreeunit212 is just really nice
Wrong.

"Far best is he who knows all things himself; Good, he that hearkens when men counsel right;
But he who neither knows, nor lays to heart another's wisdom, is a useless wight." -Aristotle

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Bury-T...app_2405167945
http://www.reverbnation.com/burythecreator
Treeunit212 is offline   Reply With Quote