homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   photo gallery   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > General Discussion > Politics & Current Events
LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter

Politics & Current Events Discussion on political views, the war and world events here. Strictly moderated forum, so use your better judgement when posting.

Like Tree29Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 06-20-2012, 03:12 PM   #1
Pretty wisdomous

Jakke is pretty damn metal.Jakke is pretty damn metal.Jakke is pretty damn metal.Jakke is pretty damn metal.Jakke is pretty damn metal.Jakke is pretty damn metal.Jakke is pretty damn metal.Jakke is pretty damn metal.
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Finally the Higgs boson?

There is a substantial rumour in the scientific community that data might have been found that can point us to the Higgs boson, the mythical particle that is predicted to be the final puzzle piece in the standard model.

I should stress that this is not verified yet, but it do looks promising... If it turns out to be correct, the researchers can book their tickets to Stockholm immediately

So fellow scientifically minded board members, what do you think?

Member of the Injustice League with Pooluke41, -42 and BrainArt

I am Dr. Disappointinator, after an accident with a radioactive school teacher I now possess the ability to instantly crush all hopes and desires of any individual at any given time

Emotions are for women, and gay children
Jakke is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
Seven String

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 06-20-2012, 03:17 PM   #2
Banned

bob123 is a splendid one to beholdbob123 is a splendid one to beholdbob123 is a splendid one to beholdbob123 is a splendid one to beholdbob123 is a splendid one to behold
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
This will be the 40th time they've "discovered" it. When they get everything down on paper, I'll start believing them.
bob123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-20-2012, 03:23 PM   #3
Bonitis.

Necris is shredding to new heights.Necris is shredding to new heights.Necris is shredding to new heights.Necris is shredding to new heights.Necris is shredding to new heights.Necris is shredding to new heights.Necris is shredding to new heights.
Good evidence must be shown first, my belief comes afterward.

Extreme Syncopation =/= Poly-rhythmic

Necris is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-20-2012, 03:27 PM   #4
Pretty wisdomous

Jakke is pretty damn metal.Jakke is pretty damn metal.Jakke is pretty damn metal.Jakke is pretty damn metal.Jakke is pretty damn metal.Jakke is pretty damn metal.Jakke is pretty damn metal.Jakke is pretty damn metal.
I would say that the two alleged sigma-4 are pretty interesting, it is not proof just yet, but highly interesting...

*EDIT* Oh yeah, for anyone who has been fortunate enough not to do any quantum physics, sigma-4 (or 4-sigma) means that there are 4 standard deviations in their measuring values.
TL;DR for anyone who don't want to read a wiki article in probability (I really can't blame you). Visualize you are shooting at a target, you have an expected point where you know you should hit (say the bullseye) with this ammunition (this is the expected charge the researchers have that they expect a particle to have). Around there you have circles which are named 1 standard deviation, 2 standard deviations etc. If you then fire and it hits at the five circle, that is too far a distance for the bullet to have deviated from the expected target by sheer chance (the probability that it has done so by sheer chance is one in a million), so you see that you have to check if there is anything wrong with the gun or with your bullets as there must be something influencing the path.

If we parallel this to the experiment, the researchers has allegedly found a particle with a much higher charge than a proton should have at two separate occasions that the probability of this being due to chance are miniscule. But this is only allegeldy.

I am Dr. Disappointinator, after an accident with a radioactive school teacher I now possess the ability to instantly crush all hopes and desires of any individual at any given time

Unread 06-20-2012, 03:50 PM   #5
Correct-handed

leftyguitarjoe is pretty damn metal.leftyguitarjoe is pretty damn metal.leftyguitarjoe is pretty damn metal.leftyguitarjoe is pretty damn metal.leftyguitarjoe is pretty damn metal.leftyguitarjoe is pretty damn metal.leftyguitarjoe is pretty damn metal.leftyguitarjoe is pretty damn metal.
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I'll look forward to the announcement. I hope this is real.

"Yeah, sometimes when you're cool, you spontaneously combust into a fireball of awesomeness" - RenegadeDave
leftyguitarjoe is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-20-2012, 05:37 PM   #6
SS.org Regular

Blind Theory is just really niceBlind Theory is just really nice
While it would be cool, I am highly skeptical. There was a thread earlier this year I believe stating the same thing and nothing came of it. I personally don't believe we have the technology to accurately detect some of these things yet. It's not to say we won't but I don't think we are there yet. If this turns out to be legit it will open a TON of doors and yes, they will definitely be booking a ticket to Stockholm.
Blind Theory is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-21-2012, 03:00 AM   #7
Pretty Your Petunia

brutalwizard is shredding to new heights.brutalwizard is shredding to new heights.brutalwizard is shredding to new heights.brutalwizard is shredding to new heights.brutalwizard is shredding to new heights.brutalwizard is shredding to new heights.brutalwizard is shredding to new heights.
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
I dont really carry wiki articles with too much weight.

But i eagerly await the finding of the higgs boson!!

It would be too neat.

Check out my band

Facebook.come/forsythiaofficial

My youtube
youtube.com/therealgtarbeast666

I don't think that we ever thought of it as the equivalent of music, as the end-goal was to buy more in-game slut clothes-- schecterwhore on rock band

Im a super chill mellow ambient slut. --7 STRINGS OF HATE
brutalwizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-21-2012, 05:48 PM   #8
Control The Sun

The Uncreator is just really niceThe Uncreator is just really nice
Don't get me all excited without something. I really feel I will be alive for it's discovery, so I am always a bit anxious for it

L A S C A I L L E 'S S H R O U D

Progressive Cosmic Death Metal

YouTube

Facebook
The Uncreator is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-22-2012, 09:08 PM   #9
SS.org Regular

Phlegethon is a jewel in the rough
only one more sigma to go before it's official. IIRC the standard for discovery stuff like this is 5 sigma, and choosing to look at the optimistic side. but like others have mentioned, the data has to back the findings and any tests that find the higgs boson will have to pass scientific muster for this sort of thing

but celebrating that we're getting it done, even if it's taking longer than some would like

Contributing writer for guitars canada: www.guitarscanada.com

Guitar lessons for the Hamilton region in southern ontario in the comfort of your home, contact me via PM or the following email address: odetoanote@gmail.com

Phlegethon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-22-2012, 10:57 PM   #10
Sycamore Trees

Murdstone is a glorious beacon of lightMurdstone is a glorious beacon of lightMurdstone is a glorious beacon of light
This would be really sweet if they can close the case.

I hope for the sake of everyone though that they double-checked that all the machines were plugged in correctly...
AxeHappy likes this.
Murdstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-23-2012, 11:03 AM   #11
Pretty wisdomous

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murdstone View Post
I hope for the sake of everyone though that they double-checked that all the machines were plugged in correctly...
DAMN YOU FAULTY GPS!!

Unread 06-23-2012, 11:19 AM   #12
The Armada

JamesM is pretty much the man.JamesM is pretty much the man.JamesM is pretty much the man.JamesM is pretty much the man.JamesM is pretty much the man.JamesM is pretty much the man.JamesM is pretty much the man.JamesM is pretty much the man.JamesM is pretty much the man.
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Skeptical.
JamesM is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-24-2012, 01:50 PM   #13
Control The Sun

The Uncreator is just really niceThe Uncreator is just really nice
Excitement Builds Over Expected Higgs Boson Announcement | LHC | Space.com

L A S C A I L L E 'S S H R O U D

Progressive Cosmic Death Metal

YouTube

Facebook
The Uncreator is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-24-2012, 07:14 PM   #14
Freemanologist

Chickenhawk is shredding to new heights.Chickenhawk is shredding to new heights.Chickenhawk is shredding to new heights.Chickenhawk is shredding to new heights.Chickenhawk is shredding to new heights.Chickenhawk is shredding to new heights.Chickenhawk is shredding to new heights.
<--- Cautiously optimistic, as usual.

Liberty has never come from the government.
Liberty has always come from the subjects of it.
The history of liberty is a history of resistance.
- Woodrow Wilson
Chickenhawk is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-24-2012, 07:47 PM   #15
Gearus Pimptasticus
Super Moderator

technomancer is Odin incarnatetechnomancer is Odin incarnatetechnomancer is Odin incarnatetechnomancer is Odin incarnatetechnomancer is Odin incarnatetechnomancer is Odin incarnatetechnomancer is Odin incarnatetechnomancer is Odin incarnatetechnomancer is Odin incarnatetechnomancer is Odin incarnatetechnomancer is Odin incarnatetechnomancer is Odin incarnatetechnomancer is Odin incarnatetechnomancer is Odin incarnatetechnomancer is Odin incarnate
Feedback Score: 36 reviews
I'll be excited when there are some verified findings, they've been leaking hints that they might have data that suggests the Higgs for what, the past year or so now?

Incoming
It's a surprise

Site Rules. Read Them.
technomancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-25-2012, 12:13 AM   #16
SS.org Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by technomancer View Post
I'll be excited when there are some verified findings, they've been leaking hints that they might have data that suggests the Higgs for what, the past year or so now?
There have been many premature declarations of discovery for the Higgs Boson in the past. Not just this past year. As with everything it is trial and error until success but the Higgs Boson isn't exactly like learning how to kickflip a skateboard. Skepticism here is a very good idea. I seriously hope this is true. Words could not describe how cool it would be to witness a scientific discovery of this magnitude in my lifetime. I feel it would be equal to what bystanders must have felt when Einstein came out with Relativity or something.
Unread 06-25-2012, 06:56 PM   #17
Some call me... Tim

Grand Moff Tim is pretty much the man.Grand Moff Tim is pretty much the man.Grand Moff Tim is pretty much the man.Grand Moff Tim is pretty much the man.Grand Moff Tim is pretty much the man.Grand Moff Tim is pretty much the man.Grand Moff Tim is pretty much the man.Grand Moff Tim is pretty much the man.Grand Moff Tim is pretty much the man.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Theory View Post
I seriously hope this is true. Words could not describe how cool it would be to witness a scientific discovery of this magnitude in my lifetime. I feel it would be equal to what bystanders must have felt when Einstein came out with Relativity or something.
Which is to say, for the average person, absolutely nothing .

"We must not indulge in unfavorable views of mankind, since by doing it we make bad men believe they are no worse than others, and we teach the good that they are good in vain." - Walter Winchell

"Progressive music used to be about thinking outside the box, but now it's just about fitting as many notes inside the box as possible, and it bores me to tears." -Sol Niger 333 [paraphrased]

"It is important to be a Jedi." - Mika
Grand Moff Tim is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-26-2012, 01:46 PM   #18
SS.org Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grand Moff Tim View Post
Which is to say, for the average person, absolutely nothing .
Got me there, Tim.
TheHandOfStone likes this.
Unread 06-29-2012, 09:56 PM   #19
PC rig poster boy

JPhoenix19 is a splendid one to beholdJPhoenix19 is a splendid one to beholdJPhoenix19 is a splendid one to beholdJPhoenix19 is a splendid one to beholdJPhoenix19 is a splendid one to behold
Feedback Score: 14 reviews
wtf, I don't understand any of this...

...sorcery.
Murmel likes this.

Ask enough questions, and you can answer anything.
JPhoenix19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-29-2012, 10:14 PM   #20
SS.org Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhoenix19 View Post
wtf, I don't understand any of this...

...sorcery.

The Higgs Boson can be thought of like a pool that particles have passed through. In theory the Higgs is a sort of field that particles pass through to give them their mass as we see it. There is more to it than that but that is the easiest way to explain it.
Unread 07-02-2012, 03:48 PM   #21
SS.org Regular

Mexi is just really niceMexi is just really nice
God particle is 'found': Scientists at Cern expected to announce Higgs boson particle has been discovered on Wednesday | Mail Online

looks like this is shaping up to be true!
Mordacain and Jakke like this.

My father warned me about the dangers of alcohol: "never make a martini with too much vermouth"
Mexi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-02-2012, 03:48 PM   #22
Pretty wisdomous

Unread 07-02-2012, 05:15 PM   #23
Freemanologist

Chickenhawk is shredding to new heights.Chickenhawk is shredding to new heights.Chickenhawk is shredding to new heights.Chickenhawk is shredding to new heights.Chickenhawk is shredding to new heights.Chickenhawk is shredding to new heights.Chickenhawk is shredding to new heights.
Quote:
Scientists at the Large Hadron Collider are expected to say they are 99.99 per cent certain it has been found - which is known as 'four sigma' level.
Quote:
However, the two groups, CMS and ATLAS, are expected to stop short of confirming its existence.

Liberty has never come from the government.
Liberty has always come from the subjects of it.
The history of liberty is a history of resistance.
- Woodrow Wilson
Chickenhawk is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-02-2012, 05:19 PM   #24
Pretty wisdomous

It's really that they will say that they are pretty damn sure that they have found it, but they won't say that they are completely sure that they have found it.

Science!

Unread 07-02-2012, 05:43 PM   #25
ss.org Regular

steve1 is just really nicesteve1 is just really nice
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I suppose this is one of those circumstances where 99.99% isn't quite enough. Is 100% even possible in science though? Never being 100% is what drives the scientific world.
steve1 is offline   Reply With Quote