homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   photo gallery   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > General Discussion > Politics & Current Events
LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter

Politics & Current Events Discussion on political views, the war and world events here. Strictly moderated forum, so use your better judgement when posting.

Like Tree15Likes
  • 1 Post By Explorer
  • 3 Post By Stealthdjentstic
  • 1 Post By The Uncreator
  • 1 Post By Waelstrum
  • 2 Post By Explorer
  • 1 Post By decypher
  • 3 Post By Semichastny
  • 3 Post By highlordmugfug

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 05-20-2012, 04:53 PM   #1
He seldomly knows...

Explorer is pretty damn metal.Explorer is pretty damn metal.Explorer is pretty damn metal.Explorer is pretty damn metal.Explorer is pretty damn metal.Explorer is pretty damn metal.Explorer is pretty damn metal.Explorer is pretty damn metal.
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Psychiatrist who championed 'gay cure' admits he was wrong

Dr Robert Spitzer apologises for 'fatally flawed' study, published in 2001, which claimed gay people could be 'cured' if properly motivated.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/05/19/he...cure.html?_r=1

A decade later, researcher apologizes for study suggesting gays can go straight with therapy - The Washington Post

How One Flawed Study Spawned a Decade of Lies - Forbes

It's pretty interesting to see him willing to repudiate his former work. That's science, I guess, although clearly the original study was flawed, and was likely accepted due to his authority, which is also supposedly screened out when using the scientific method.

However... what will be interesting will be the reactions of the religious and conservative people who have a vested interest in the study being true. Science is able to discard old paradigms, theories and ideas when they are replaced. Given how long ideas like creationism have remained part of conservative American politics, and how disproven studies have lingered in that field, I suspect this study will similarly remain at the forefront of their thinking.

Your thoughts?
Durero likes this.

If you don't care enough to research your own question, why should anyone else care more?

"Pay no attention to his long winded posts... (Explorer) seldomly knows what he's talking about." Adam Of Angels

"Actual knowledge and a google bookmark are very different things." Anonymous neg-repper
Explorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
Seven String

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 05-20-2012, 04:56 PM   #2
Banned

Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
It wont affect those who were citing it in the first place. They'll just replace it with some other ridiculous "study".
Stealthdjentstic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-20-2012, 07:08 PM   #3
Control The Sun

The Uncreator is just really niceThe Uncreator is just really nice
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Respectable on his part, I'll give him that.
Gothic Headhunter likes this.

L A S C A I L L E 'S S H R O U D

Progressive Cosmic Death Metal

YouTube

Facebook
The Uncreator is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-20-2012, 07:45 PM   #4
Pretty wisdomous

Jakke is pretty damn metal.Jakke is pretty damn metal.Jakke is pretty damn metal.Jakke is pretty damn metal.Jakke is pretty damn metal.Jakke is pretty damn metal.Jakke is pretty damn metal.Jakke is pretty damn metal.
very scientific of him, only that it was about 40 years after the rest of the developed world had reached the same conclusion. Still, a good example of science in progress.

Member of the Injustice League with Pooluke41, -42 and BrainArt

I am Dr. Disappointinator, after an accident with a radioactive school teacher I now possess the ability to instantly crush all hopes and desires of any individual at any given time

Emotions are for women, and gay children
Jakke is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-20-2012, 08:16 PM   #5
All Fourths Advocate

Waelstrum is just really niceWaelstrum is just really nice
I doubt this will change much. He'll be ignored by the few who took him seriously, who will move on to some equivalent wrong (or corrupt) scientist. People who were already aware shall continue to ignore him, pausing momentarily to acknowledge that it takes guts to admit you're wrong, particularly on such a highly politicised topic.
AxeHappy likes this.
Waelstrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-20-2012, 08:55 PM   #6
He seldomly knows...

Explorer is pretty damn metal.Explorer is pretty damn metal.Explorer is pretty damn metal.Explorer is pretty damn metal.Explorer is pretty damn metal.Explorer is pretty damn metal.Explorer is pretty damn metal.Explorer is pretty damn metal.
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
I agaree that a lot of conservatives and religious sorts won't abandon their views, but without "scientific" backing for praying (or sciencing) away the gay, it will be harder and harder for the fringes to sway the middle of the road.

One thing which polls have shown over time is that talking about an issue like gay rights often means a shift in those who had previously been against them. Knowing that someone is gay makes those issues more real, and makes it hard for someone to come up with rational arguments against withholding rights from that person.

Similarly, ending the conservative/religious smokescreen of "It's a choice" will make it harder to continue supporting what those people want.
AxeHappy and PortalNathrakh like this.

If you don't care enough to research your own question, why should anyone else care more?

"Pay no attention to his long winded posts... (Explorer) seldomly knows what he's talking about." Adam Of Angels

"Actual knowledge and a google bookmark are very different things." Anonymous neg-repper
Explorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-21-2012, 07:36 PM   #7
SS.org Regular

decypher is a jewel in the rough
...and I was just about ready to turn my computer and music room into a nursery. dammit!
highlordmugfug likes this.
decypher is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-21-2012, 07:46 PM   #8
themuthaphukkindeath

highlordmugfug is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/highlordmugfug is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/highlordmugfug is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/highlordmugfug is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/highlordmugfug is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/highlordmugfug is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/highlordmugfug is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/
Feedback Score: 18 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by decypher View Post
...and I was just about ready to turn my computer and music room into a nursery. dammit!
highlordmugfug is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-21-2012, 07:49 PM   #9
SS.org Regular

Semichastny has a spectacular aura about
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
American Conservatives have an extremely difficult time understanding the difference between fact and opinion, this will change almost nothing.
Semichastny is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-21-2012, 07:52 PM   #10
themuthaphukkindeath

highlordmugfug is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/highlordmugfug is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/highlordmugfug is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/highlordmugfug is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/highlordmugfug is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/highlordmugfug is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/highlordmugfug is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/
Feedback Score: 18 reviews
Crazy religious homophobes use "scientific sources" that have been proven false, shown to be flawed, that had little to no actual rigor put into the methods, too small sample sizes to be relevant, etc all the time, so I'm sure the original work the man did will STILL be used, and if anything at all about their argument changes, it will be a small addendum about how the psychiatrist that "proved their point" eventually became one of them damn pinko commies.
highlordmugfug is offline   Reply With Quote