homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   photo gallery   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > General Discussion > Politics & Current Events
LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter

Politics & Current Events Discussion on political views, the war and world events here. Strictly moderated forum, so use your better judgement when posting.

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 03-31-2012, 05:18 PM   #1
Pretty wisdomous

Jakke is pretty damn metal.Jakke is pretty damn metal.Jakke is pretty damn metal.Jakke is pretty damn metal.Jakke is pretty damn metal.Jakke is pretty damn metal.Jakke is pretty damn metal.Jakke is pretty damn metal.
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Illustrated rhetorical fallacies

We are all internet people to varying degree on this board, and to internet people, especially on this sub-forum, arguments are bound to happen. There is a load of dishonest fallacies those inclined to can use, so I figure members who frequent P&CE might find this interesting.

They are also very pedagogically illustrated

Rhetorical fallacies.

Member of the Injustice League with Pooluke41, -42 and BrainArt

I am Dr. Disappointinator, after an accident with a radioactive school teacher I now possess the ability to instantly crush all hopes and desires of any individual at any given time

Emotions are for women, and gay children
Jakke is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
Seven String

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 03-31-2012, 05:35 PM   #2
SS.org Regular

ArkaneDemon is a glorious beacon of lightArkaneDemon is a glorious beacon of lightArkaneDemon is a glorious beacon of light
Great link, this kind of stuff needs to be kept in the back of one's head during any kind of rational discourse. I wish they would teach this kind of stuff earlier on in schools. At least in the area I've lived in, this kind of stuff isn't taught until first year university, in a course that is rarely taken anyways (critical thinking). Last term, I took it, and it was a class of roughly 100, with that class being the only section of the term. In a university with 26000 undergraduates...
tacotiklah likes this.
ArkaneDemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-31-2012, 05:43 PM   #3
Pretty wisdomous

Jakke is pretty damn metal.Jakke is pretty damn metal.Jakke is pretty damn metal.Jakke is pretty damn metal.Jakke is pretty damn metal.Jakke is pretty damn metal.Jakke is pretty damn metal.Jakke is pretty damn metal.
^I would love to take such a course (I have learned most of the stuff in the link myself though), might have to check if my university offers courses in logic or something similar...

I am Dr. Disappointinator, after an accident with a radioactive school teacher I now possess the ability to instantly crush all hopes and desires of any individual at any given time

Unread 03-31-2012, 05:46 PM   #4
SS.org Regular

ArkaneDemon is a glorious beacon of lightArkaneDemon is a glorious beacon of lightArkaneDemon is a glorious beacon of light
If your university has a philosophy department, it should definitely have logic, if not some other related courses. I'm taking an intro to formal logic next term, so I'm stoked.

Yeah I learned a majority of the critical thinking stuff outside of that course, but it did teach me a lot, and gave me the tools to see through the bullshit a lot easier
Unread 03-31-2012, 05:55 PM   #5
Pretty wisdomous

We've got everything man, largest university in Scandinavia

You seem to be interested in this stuff, any chance you are involved with the skeptics movement?

Unread 03-31-2012, 05:56 PM   #6
Djenderbender

tacotiklah is the epitome of metal.tacotiklah is the epitome of metal.tacotiklah is the epitome of metal.tacotiklah is the epitome of metal.tacotiklah is the epitome of metal.tacotiklah is the epitome of metal.tacotiklah is the epitome of metal.tacotiklah is the epitome of metal.tacotiklah is the epitome of metal.
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Excellent post and admittedly I've done a few of these in the past. Would it be considered a fallacy in and of itself to show this link to someone that is making one of these kinds of arguments?

"Statement 1: Animals of two different species (not to mention entirely different orders) is now considered natural.
Statement 2: Man is an animal.
Statement 3: I'm booking a flight to Antarctica.
Statement 4: None of your damn business why." -Xaios
tacotiklah is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-31-2012, 05:57 PM   #7
Got a 7

Randyrhoads123 is a jewel in the rough
This is great! Most people are guilty of using these in their arguments, even myself, and it's nice to see them laid out in a pretty simple way so that most everyone can understand them.
Randyrhoads123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-31-2012, 05:58 PM   #8
Pretty wisdomous

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghstofperdition View Post
Excellent post and admittedly I've done a few of these in the past. Would it be considered a fallacy in and of itself to show this link to someone that is making one of these kinds of arguments?
A weird appeal to authority maybe?

Unread 03-31-2012, 05:59 PM   #9
Pretty wisdomous

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randyrhoads123 View Post
This is great! Most people are guilty of using these in their arguments, even myself, and it's nice to see them laid out in a pretty simple way so that most everyone can understand them.
Agreed, some of these are pretty abstract, so having examples really help.

Unread 03-31-2012, 06:04 PM   #10
He seldomly knows...

Explorer is the epitome of metal.Explorer is the epitome of metal.Explorer is the epitome of metal.Explorer is the epitome of metal.Explorer is the epitome of metal.Explorer is the epitome of metal.Explorer is the epitome of metal.Explorer is the epitome of metal.Explorer is the epitome of metal.
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
It's not an appeal to authority to show how an argument doesn't actually address the matter at hand. Even if these fallacies are common enough to have a name, using a name for one, or explaining how one has gone wrong, doesn't rely upon any appeal to authority.

Since any claim which doesn't actually address a matter at hand can be shown to not affect the truth of that matter, showing how it doesn't address the matter doesn't rely upon any authority.

Ironic fallacy about calling out fallacies is ironic.
ArkaneDemon and Jakke like this.

If you don't care enough to research your own question, why should anyone else care more?

"Pay no attention to his long winded posts... (Explorer) seldomly knows what he's talking about."

"Actual knowledge and a google bookmark are very different things." Anonymous neg-repper
Explorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-31-2012, 06:06 PM   #11
SS.org Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakke View Post
I want to live in Sweden

Quote:
You seem to be interested in this stuff, any chance you are involved with the skeptics movement?
Alas, I'm not familiar with such a thing. Got any links or something to read, because Google isn't giving me anything definite about such a movement.
Unread 03-31-2012, 06:35 PM   #12
The Armada

JamesM is pretty much the man.JamesM is pretty much the man.JamesM is pretty much the man.JamesM is pretty much the man.JamesM is pretty much the man.JamesM is pretty much the man.JamesM is pretty much the man.JamesM is pretty much the man.JamesM is pretty much the man.
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
It's been mentioned, but I'll just say this to everyone...

If you can (or haven't already...), take a Logic class.

It was awesome.
JamesM is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-31-2012, 06:42 PM   #13
Pretty wisdomous

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArkaneDemon View Post
I want to live in Sweden
Oldest as well, although it was mainly built so we could have a university before the danes (1477)

Quote:
Alas, I'm not familiar with such a thing. Got any links or something to read, because Google isn't giving me anything definite about such a movement.
It's mainly a fancy word for organized scientific skeptics, among the more famous are Penn and Teller, Carl Sagan, James Randi, Michael Shermer, and PZ Myers. A common event almost all over the world is "Skeptics in the pub", where we go out, drink and discuss pseudo-science etc.

There are usually groups in most larger cities if you are interested to know more, there are also a number of podcasts about skeptisism.
highlordmugfug likes this.

Unread 03-31-2012, 09:01 PM   #14
SS.org Regular

Cool stuff. I knew what skepticism was, but I'll definitely have to check it out a bit more in depth and maybe grab some podcasts. The skeptics in the pub bit sounds interesting. At first I wasn't too convinced by it, but now it's more of a "well, why the .... not". Thanks for the info
Unread 04-01-2012, 03:05 AM   #15
All Fourths Advocate

Waelstrum is just really niceWaelstrum is just really nice
I approve of this. Many of these are pet peeves of mine, like when shampoo ads say that they contain natural ingredients. I always think that many kinds of acid occur naturally, but they probably won't be very good for your hair. Also the relativist fallacy was the bane of my existence my in senior english classes. They kept on talking about reality as though it's subjective, when IT'S ....ING NOT! YOU CAN DISCOVER UNIVERSAL TRUTHS IF YOU STUDY MATHS OR SCIENCE, MRS DAVIS! Sorry, but explaining the logical fallacies in the claims of my english teacher was a frustrating, fruitless, and thankless task. I'm angry again just remembering it.

However, did anyone else find it weird that the appeal to ignorance example was "Nobody has proved to me there is a god. Therefore there is no god." It looks a bit like a shifting of the burden of proof, which they have an example of further down the page. I know that it isn't really, but it looks that way. If it said that the statement "Nobody has proved to me there is a god. Therefore there is no god." is false, and therefore there is a god, it would certainly be a burden of proof issue. I guess they're advocating the withholdment of judgement until definitive proof is given, which can lead to the statement "Nobody has proved to me there is a god. Therefore there is nothing to lead me to believe there is a god.", which some would consider to mean the same as the statement "Nobody has proved to me there is a god. Therefore there is no god." In fact, I thought that if you just added a qualifying word or phrase to a couple of the examples of fallacies they would be perfectly fine statements. I guess that whoever wrote this must have been quite the pedant. (Ironic ad hominem ftw.) This probably doesn't matter, though.

Quote:
Oldest as well
Nice appeal to authority
Waelstrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-01-2012, 07:38 AM   #16
Pretty wisdomous

Quote:
Cool stuff. I knew what skepticism was, but I'll definitely have to check it out a bit more in depth and maybe grab some podcasts. The skeptics in the pub bit sounds interesting. At first I wasn't too convinced by it, but now it's more of a "well, why the .... not". Thanks for the info
I think it was either scottish or canadian skeptics who came up with the concept of skeptics in the pub...
Wel,, anyway, you're welcome. I have enjoyed consorting with skeptics very much, they are usually very nice people

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waelstrum View Post
I approve of this. Many of these are pet peeves of mine, like when shampoo ads say that they contain natural ingredients. I always think that many kinds of acid occur naturally but they probably won't be very good for your hair.
Arsenic is also very natural, as is mercury

Quote:
However, did anyone else find it weird that the appeal to ignorance example was "Nobody has proved to me there is a god. Therefore there is no god." It looks a bit like a shifting of the burden of proof, which they have an example of further down the page. I know that it isn't really, but it looks that way. If it said that the statement "Nobody has proved to me there is a god. Therefore there is no god." is false, and therefore there is a god, it would certainly be a burden of proof issue. I guess they're advocating the withholdment of judgement until definitive proof is given, which can lead to the statement "Nobody has proved to me there is a god. Therefore there is nothing to lead me to believe there is a god.", which some would consider to mean the same as the statement "Nobody has proved to me there is a god. Therefore there is no god." In fact, I thought that if you just added a qualifying word or phrase to a couple of the examples of fallacies they would be perfectly fine statements. I guess that whoever wrote this must have been quite the pedant. (Ironic ad hominem ftw.) This probably doesn't matter, though.
You are absolutely correct, claiming that there is no god subjects you to the same burden of proof as someone who claims there is a god.

Quote:
Nice appeal to authority
Did I say it was good because it was old?

Unread 04-01-2012, 07:53 AM   #17
All Fourths Advocate

Waelstrum is just really niceWaelstrum is just really nice
^ I originally typed arsenic, but I don't know what it would do to hair (it's probably of little consequence either way) so I changed it to acid.

Also, when these are taken together, it seems like you're at least implying that the oldest is the best.

Quote:
Quote:
Oldest as well
But I'm just being cheeky now.
Waelstrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-01-2012, 08:05 AM   #18
Pretty wisdomous

Quote:
^ I originally typed arsenic, but I don't know what it would do to hair (it's probably of little consequence either way) so I changed it to acid.
Arsenic poisoning can cause hair loss, at least according to wiki...
But I wager acid is even more no good for hair

Quote:
Also, when these are taken together, it seems like you're at least implying that the oldest is the best.
Impying eh?

Quote:
But I'm just being cheeky now.
I am not sure I like your tone young man

Unread 04-01-2012, 11:28 AM   #19
Resident Studio Nerd

KingAenarion is a glorious beacon of lightKingAenarion is a glorious beacon of lightKingAenarion is a glorious beacon of light
The Appeal to Novelty just reminded me of the How I met your Mother thing where Barney goes on about how new is always better and Ted keeps showing him how he's wrong

Quote:
I approve of this. Many of these are pet peeves of mine, like when shampoo ads say that they contain natural ingredients. I always think that many kinds of acid occur naturally, but they probably won't be very good for your hair. Also the relativist fallacy was the bane of my existence my in senior english classes. They kept on talking about reality as though it's subjective, when IT'S ....ING NOT! YOU CAN DISCOVER UNIVERSAL TRUTHS IF YOU STUDY MATHS OR SCIENCE, MRS DAVIS! Sorry, but explaining the logical fallacies in the claims of my english teacher was a frustrating, fruitless, and thankless task. I'm angry again just remembering it.

The perfect response to that kind of relativism I feel is to show them the circular nature of their own pluralist argument.

It tends to go like this.

You: So you believe that reality and truth are subjective?
Them: Yes.
You: So there is no singular truth for anything?
You: You're sure you believe this?
You: So the truth is, there is no singular truth? That's a self cancelling argument isn't it?
Them: Yes... wait no... wait... I mean... wait... NO YOU DON'T UNDERSTAND!

My band - Ex Curia - Prog in an Opeth meets Karnivool meets Porcupine Tree meets Tool kind of way
KingAenarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-01-2012, 11:37 AM   #20
Pretty wisdomous

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingAenarion View Post
It tends to go like this.

You: So you believe that reality and truth are subjective?
You: So there is no singular truth for anything?
You: You're sure you believe this?
You: So the truth is, there is no singular truth? That's a self cancelling argument isn't it?
Them: Yes... wait no... wait... I mean... wait... NO YOU DON'T UNDERSTAND!

Damn humanities...

Actually every humanist I have met have not understood the concept of absolute truth, this is not prejudice, but actually fact, I have not met a single one who could understand this. They have always gone "Well, that's your opinion, it might be true for somebody else.."

Bullshit. There are absolute truths, and my mother, for example, is terrible at understanding this fact. This was the source of some very heated discussions when I still lived at my parents' house.

Unread 04-01-2012, 02:10 PM   #21
Not your bro, bro.

Treeunit212 is just really niceTreeunit212 is just really nice
Although I already have a somewhat well trained ear for logical fallacies, I still want to memorize this list for every time my co-workers' Ron Pauling husband tries to educate me about the New World Order and the progress of Arizona Sheriff Joe Arpaio's birth certificate investigation.

Nice find.

"Far best is he who knows all things himself; Good, he that hearkens when men counsel right;
But he who neither knows, nor lays to heart another's wisdom, is a useless wight." -Aristotle

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Bury-T...app_2405167945
http://www.reverbnation.com/burythecreator
Treeunit212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-01-2012, 02:23 PM   #22
Frets? What frets?

Varcolac has much to be proud ofVarcolac has much to be proud ofVarcolac has much to be proud ofVarcolac has much to be proud ofVarcolac has much to be proud ofVarcolac has much to be proud of
I like that the "Ad Hoc Rescue" category uses a Monty Python quote as the example.

Otherwise, good stuff, Captain. The logic is infallible.

ilyti likes this.

SchecterWhore: "Development, phase four. Beethoven
takes you for a ride through space in his Pontiac Trans Am."
Varcolac is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-01-2012, 09:57 PM   #23
Lazy Ryebread Viking

ilyti is a name known to allilyti is a name known to allilyti is a name known to allilyti is a name known to all
^ Damn, beat me to it!
ilyti is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-02-2012, 07:17 PM   #24
Pretty wisdomous

Ther is an excellent documentary released free on youtube called Here Be Dragons (anyone else get vibes of Terry Pratchett?), and it's about logical fallacies and critical thinking, I recommend anyone interested to check it out

Treeunit212 likes this.

Unread 04-05-2012, 01:35 PM   #25
surrounded by chairs

groph has much to be proud ofgroph has much to be proud ofgroph has much to be proud ofgroph has much to be proud ofgroph has much to be proud ofgroph has much to be proud of
I don't think I saw a reductio ad hitlerum anywhere in there. This list is incomplete. Therefore Hitler, I lose.
groph is offline   Reply With Quote