homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   photo gallery   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > General Discussion > Politics & Current Events
LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter
  
Politics & Current Events Discussion on political views, the war and world events here. Strictly moderated forum, so use your better judgement when posting.

Like Tree229Likes

Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 04-16-2012, 03:20 AM   #201
SS.org Regular
 
flint757's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 5,085
Thanked: 9
flint757 is a splendid one to beholdflint757 is a splendid one to beholdflint757 is a splendid one to beholdflint757 is a splendid one to beholdflint757 is a splendid one to behold
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lern2swim View Post
Because that is not the way that brains are wired. And I'm not even speaking of human brains. I'm speaking of brains in general. There's not a single species on this planet that works in a comparable way to what you're talking about. And we can deny the fact that we are a part of nature all we want; it doesn't make it any more true.
Animal brains and human brains may be wired the same, but unlike other creatures we have more time to ponder and thus reach such possibilities I think. In other species only one sex demonstrates overkill beauty usually while trying to attract the other. We've hit a point where both sexes are trying to attract each other (women working arguably harder) so we are not the exact same anyways to other creatures. I've heard plenty of straight dude comment on how certain famous men look damn good so there are some holes in your theory.

That is a poor argument though since I suggested it and there are plenty of bisexual people who are attracted to both sexes and others who are comfortable with there sexuality so that being said wouldn't that mean a competition like that would be possible. Obviously it wouldn't exactly be mainstream popular, but still. you said it yourself that women can be attracted to other women (not necessarily sexually) so I think it is possible.

"In Djod We Trust"

flint757 is online now   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
Seven String

Beitrag Sponsored Links

__________________
This advertising will not be shown in this way to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on SevenString.org
   
Unread 04-16-2012, 03:32 AM   #202
Formerly Lern2Swim
 
Ben.Last's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 2,814
Thanked: 15
Ben.Last is a glorious beacon of lightBen.Last is a glorious beacon of lightBen.Last is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by flint757 View Post
Animal brains and human brains may be wired the same, but unlike other creatures we have more time to ponder and thus reach such possibilities I think. In other species only one sex demonstrates overkill beauty usually while trying to attract the other. We've hit a point where both sexes are trying to attract each other (women working arguably harder) so we are not the exact same anyways to other creatures. I've heard plenty of straight dude comment on how certain famous men look damn good so there are some holes in your theory.

That is a poor argument though since I suggested it and there are plenty of bisexual people who are attracted to both sexes and others who are comfortable with there sexuality so that being said wouldn't that mean a competition like that would be possible. Obviously it wouldn't exactly be mainstream popular, but still. you said it yourself that women can be attracted to other women (not necessarily sexually) so I think it is possible.
There's plenty of scientific evidence of actions throughout the animal kingdom that point to us being a lot closer on a basic level. Talking about things like male peacocks is really oversimplifying things, unless we take into account why the male peacocks are designed to try so hard to attract females. It's not actually a one sided thing. It just so happens that one side is more noticeable to us. Yes, we have many cognitive layers on top of those instincts, but it's become increasingly apparent to me over the years that that has as much a tendency to cloud matters as it does to provide us with clarity.
Ben.Last is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-16-2012, 03:44 AM   #203
WWSD?
 
DrakkarTyrannis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Maryland
Posts: 4,180
Thanked: 130
DrakkarTyrannis is the epitome of metal.DrakkarTyrannis is the epitome of metal.DrakkarTyrannis is the epitome of metal.DrakkarTyrannis is the epitome of metal.DrakkarTyrannis is the epitome of metal.DrakkarTyrannis is the epitome of metal.DrakkarTyrannis is the epitome of metal.DrakkarTyrannis is the epitome of metal.DrakkarTyrannis is the epitome of metal.
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghstofperdition View Post
I learned a lot from tnis thread, and most of what I've learned has little to do with the OP. It's a stern reminder that transpeople have many more dark days ahead. It's good to have a bit more clarity on where people stand; not just in this forum but in general. I see victories like what this girl achieved be blackened by hate, narrow-mindedness and just plain mean-spiritedness. It's like watching old footage of the civil rights protests all over again. Same hate, just repackaged and relabeled. It's like the old saying goes: "Those that do not learn from their history are doomed to repeat it." Well after gays and transgenders win their equal rights, I can't help but wonder who's gonna be America's scapegoat and punching bag next. Midgets? Senior citizens? I know Muslims are getting some pretty good flak from the right-wingers. Most likely them.

Murrica. .... yeah.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lern2swim View Post
Comparing everything to the civil rights movement does not, in fact, make it so. I'm sorry that everyone is not born a beige hermaphrodite, so that we can all be equally the same exact person, but it's just not the case. You may see hate, narrow mindedness, and mean spiritedness, but I, at the same time, do not see this as a victory of any sort, for anyone. I wish, for at least a little while, we could all get beyond trying to be exactly the same and beyond trying to cram every square peg into a round hole and enjoy and appreciate the ways that we are different. Does that sound like I'm looking for a scapegoat to you? I'd have a lot more respect for this woman if she did not use deceit and lies to achieve what you view as a "victory."

None of this... NONE OF IT... means I have slightly less than the utmost respect for how you choose to live your life, or how anyone else chooses to live their lives.
Once again he speaks the truth..

And secondly..I cannot STAND when gays etc compare their issue with the civil rights movement. It is NOT the same and it's insulting to even suggest it. If you're honestly going to compare a man not being allowed to be in a woman's pageant to relatives as recent as in my mother and grandmother's lifetime being lynched and killed in front of their families, and own boyfriend watching a cross burning on his lawn as a child just because he's biracial..then you have SERIOUSLY missed out on the issue.
ghostred7 likes this.
DrakkarTyrannis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-16-2012, 04:39 AM   #204
Pretty wisdomous
 
Jakke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: In a van... DOWN' BY THE RIVER!
Posts: 4,055
Thanked: 102
Jakke is pretty damn metal.Jakke is pretty damn metal.Jakke is pretty damn metal.Jakke is pretty damn metal.Jakke is pretty damn metal.Jakke is pretty damn metal.Jakke is pretty damn metal.Jakke is pretty damn metal.
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghstofperdition View Post
I learned a lot from tnis thread, and most of what I've learned has little to do with the OP. It's a stern reminder that transpeople have many more dark days ahead. It's good to have a bit more clarity on where people stand; not just in this forum but in general. I see victories like what this girl achieved be blackened by hate, narrow-mindedness and just plain mean-spiritedness. It's like watching old footage of the civil rights protests all over again. Same hate, just repackaged and relabeled. It's like the old saying goes: "Those that do not learn from their history are doomed to repeat it." Well after gays and transgenders win their equal rights, I can't help but wonder who's gonna be America's scapegoat and punching bag next. Midgets? Senior citizens? I know Muslims are getting some pretty good flak from the right-wingers. Most likely them.

Murrica. .... yeah.
What rights do I (even though I am a foreigner, but we'll say I'm american) have that a transperson don't have?




Member of the Injustice League with Pooluke41, -42 and BrainArt

I am Dr. Disappointinator, after an accident with a radioactive school teacher I now possess the ability to instantly crush all hopes and desires of any individual at any given time

Emotions are for women, and gay children
Jakke is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-16-2012, 09:04 AM   #205
GHETTO KING OF SWAG
 
The Reverend's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Arlington, TX
Posts: 3,190
Thanked: 10
The Reverend is shredding to new heights.The Reverend is shredding to new heights.The Reverend is shredding to new heights.The Reverend is shredding to new heights.The Reverend is shredding to new heights.The Reverend is shredding to new heights.The Reverend is shredding to new heights.The Reverend is shredding to new heights.
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
People don't make comparisons to the Civil Rights movement just out of whimsy. While transpeople, Jakke, legally have the right to get married in most states in America, run-of-the-mill gay people don't, so I suppose transpeople don't have any rights you wouldn't.

I think the main message of the Civil Rights movement went beyond a simple wish to reform laws. It was for the most part a desire to be treated as equals in every sense of the word, beyond the legal ramifications. Separate, but equal, does that ring a bell? So when people from the LGBT community make those comparisons, they actually aren't just making shit up. Hate crimes against LGBT people exist, Drak. It may not be as widespread as the institutionalized, centuries-old evil that black people here faced, but then again, their numbers are fewer and they've got the benefit of this somehow hated political correctness behind them. Hatred, intolerance, and discrimination against them exists. Why should they not liken their experience to one that's both relevant and recent in America's cultural heritage?

If you're going to 'like' my posts, give me some rep instead.

"
i just laughed at my own reflection, not sure if ugly or drunk" -Murmel

The Reverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-16-2012, 10:13 AM   #206
Banned
 
bob123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Michigan
Posts: 2,683
Thanked: 54
bob123 is a splendid one to beholdbob123 is a splendid one to beholdbob123 is a splendid one to beholdbob123 is a splendid one to beholdbob123 is a splendid one to behold
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
No one's rights were infringed upon. I Really dont understand why everyone is so up in arms about this.

HE (yes HE) was in a competition for women. Thatd be like a male stripper applying to a female strip club and getting mad for not being hired.

They have transgender pageants. sHE should go do one of them, because sHE would win all of them.
bob123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-16-2012, 10:40 AM   #207
Needs moar Gear.....
 
BlindingLight7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Indiana-USA
Posts: 2,310
Thanked: 52
BlindingLight7 has much to be proud ofBlindingLight7 has much to be proud ofBlindingLight7 has much to be proud ofBlindingLight7 has much to be proud ofBlindingLight7 has much to be proud ofBlindingLight7 has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
It took me 9 pages to come up with something witty...

Why ban her if the rest of the girls are just as fake? Fake tits, fake butts, fake faces, etc..

huzzah!

I'm going byebye now

so drunk



I'm on a rock floating through space.
BlindingLight7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-16-2012, 10:41 AM   #208
WWSD?
 
DrakkarTyrannis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Maryland
Posts: 4,180
Thanked: 130
DrakkarTyrannis is the epitome of metal.DrakkarTyrannis is the epitome of metal.DrakkarTyrannis is the epitome of metal.DrakkarTyrannis is the epitome of metal.DrakkarTyrannis is the epitome of metal.DrakkarTyrannis is the epitome of metal.DrakkarTyrannis is the epitome of metal.DrakkarTyrannis is the epitome of metal.DrakkarTyrannis is the epitome of metal.
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Reverend View Post
People don't make comparisons to the Civil Rights movement just out of whimsy. While transpeople, Jakke, legally have the right to get married in most states in America, run-of-the-mill gay people don't, so I suppose transpeople don't have any rights you wouldn't.

I think the main message of the Civil Rights movement went beyond a simple wish to reform laws. It was for the most part a desire to be treated as equals in every sense of the word, beyond the legal ramifications. Separate, but equal, does that ring a bell? So when people from the LGBT community make those comparisons, they actually aren't just making shit up. Hate crimes against LGBT people exist, Drak. It may not be as widespread as the institutionalized, centuries-old evil that black people here faced, but then again, their numbers are fewer and they've got the benefit of this somehow hated political correctness behind them. Hatred, intolerance, and discrimination against them exists. Why should they not liken their experience to one that's both relevant and recent in America's cultural heritage?
Because most of the people who try to liken them are people who haven't dealt with racism. As a gay black person..the first thing people notice is my race. Being gay is something people don't have to know if I choose not to tell them, but being black is something I can't hide and it's something many of my relatives have died for. A gay person has many opportunities, especially if they're white that a straight black person still doesn't have. Do you think all the very financially successful gays, gay power couples, etc are living the "struggle" that black people faced? To even imply such a thing is ignorant at best. I understand that gay people have it difficult in some aspects, but there are alternatives and things that can be done..however you can't do anything about being black..just ask all the people who were castrated, lynched, raped, beaten, humiliated, terrorized, and killed..I'm sure they wouldn't appreciate well-to-do white gay guys claiming they have it just as hard.
DrakkarTyrannis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-16-2012, 03:36 PM   #209
SS.org Regular
 
flint757's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 5,085
Thanked: 9
flint757 is a splendid one to beholdflint757 is a splendid one to beholdflint757 is a splendid one to beholdflint757 is a splendid one to beholdflint757 is a splendid one to behold
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrakkarTyrannis View Post
Because most of the people who try to liken them are people who haven't dealt with racism. As a gay black person..the first thing people notice is my race. Being gay is something people don't have to know if I choose not to tell them, but being black is something I can't hide and it's something many of my relatives have died for. A gay person has many opportunities, especially if they're white that a straight black person still doesn't have. Do you think all the very financially successful gays, gay power couples, etc are living the "struggle" that black people faced? To even imply such a thing is ignorant at best. I understand that gay people have it difficult in some aspects, but there are alternatives and things that can be done..however you can't do anything about being black..just ask all the people who were castrated, lynched, raped, beaten, humiliated, terrorized, and killed..I'm sure they wouldn't appreciate well-to-do white gay guys claiming they have it just as hard.
This actually matches a post I said earlier where a comparison/analogy leads to an emotional response dude. And even though you are right for sure that black people had it bad for a very long time, comparing yourself to their cause is just as insulting because things are not nearly as bad today as it was back then either.

I know people who couldn't be hired if they found out they were gay and there are instance of people getting the shit kicked out of them for being gay or any other form of LGBT so I disagree with you. Just because it is smaller numbers does not mean it isn't similar. You in fact are disgracing another culture just because you think it is worse. Yes someone can hide being gay, but that is ridiculous logic to say it just doesn't matter as much as someone else's struggles.

"In Djod We Trust"

flint757 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-16-2012, 03:37 PM   #210
SS.org Regular
 
flint757's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 5,085
Thanked: 9
flint757 is a splendid one to beholdflint757 is a splendid one to beholdflint757 is a splendid one to beholdflint757 is a splendid one to beholdflint757 is a splendid one to behold
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob123 View Post
No one's rights were infringed upon. I Really dont understand why everyone is so up in arms about this.

HE (yes HE) was in a competition for women. Thatd be like a male stripper applying to a female strip club and getting mad for not being hired.

They have transgender pageants. sHE should go do one of them, because sHE would win all of them.
The topic now has kind of transcended past this pageant and onto social issues and definitions, etc. of similar topic.

"In Djod We Trust"

flint757 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-16-2012, 03:50 PM   #211
Classy
Super Moderator
 
Randy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: The Electric City, NY
Posts: 16,705
Thanked: 171
Randy has an entire closet full of viking hats.Randy has an entire closet full of viking hats.Randy has an entire closet full of viking hats.Randy has an entire closet full of viking hats.Randy has an entire closet full of viking hats.Randy has an entire closet full of viking hats.Randy has an entire closet full of viking hats.Randy has an entire closet full of viking hats.Randy has an entire closet full of viking hats.Randy has an entire closet full of viking hats.Randy has an entire closet full of viking hats.Randy has an entire closet full of viking hats.Randy has an entire closet full of viking hats.
Feedback Score: 17 reviews
Can't be bothered to dig through this whole thread but all the HE talk is really disheartening.

I've known people who were transgender before and (at least the few I've been acquainted with) considered themselves to be the gender they migrated to. Their mindset was there and they just felt like they were born in the wrong body or at least born with the wrong plumbing or whatever. Now, it may not have been what Nimgoble was referring to but what I gathered from his arguments earlier (which I thought were some of the strongest in this thread), there are a LOT of things that factor into what "makes you a boy or a girl" and I, personally, find all of the "HE" this and "HE" that stuff to be pretty offensive.

Irrespective of the debate over the contest (which is now moot anyway), if somebody feels like a certain sex on the inside and they go through that much trouble to coordinate that appearance on the outside, they deserve a little more respect.

I don't care if it rains or freezes
Long as I got my plastic Jesus
Sittin' on the dashboard of my car

Argbadh - RHLCİ
Randy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-16-2012, 04:20 PM   #212
Formerly Lern2Swim
 
Ben.Last's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 2,814
Thanked: 15
Ben.Last is a glorious beacon of lightBen.Last is a glorious beacon of lightBen.Last is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy View Post
Can't be bothered to dig through this whole thread but all the HE talk is really disheartening.

I've known people who were transgender before and (at least the few I've been acquainted with) considered themselves to be the gender they migrated to. Their mindset was there and they just felt like they were born in the wrong body or at least born with the wrong plumbing or whatever. Now, it may not have been what Nimgoble was referring to but what I gathered from his arguments earlier (which I thought were some of the strongest in this thread), there are a LOT of things that factor into what "makes you a boy or a girl" and I, personally, find all of the "HE" this and "HE" that stuff to be pretty offensive.

Irrespective of the debate over the contest (which is now moot anyway), if somebody feels like a certain sex on the inside and they go through that much trouble to coordinate that appearance on the outside, they deserve a little more respect.
There's actually surprisingly little "he" talk, considering the topic and venue. Most people, even those of us who disagree with her being in the pageant or her methods to do so, seem pretty accepting of the fact that she's living her life as a woman.
Ben.Last is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-16-2012, 04:32 PM   #213
Classy
Super Moderator
 
Randy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: The Electric City, NY
Posts: 16,705
Thanked: 171
Randy has an entire closet full of viking hats.Randy has an entire closet full of viking hats.Randy has an entire closet full of viking hats.Randy has an entire closet full of viking hats.Randy has an entire closet full of viking hats.Randy has an entire closet full of viking hats.Randy has an entire closet full of viking hats.Randy has an entire closet full of viking hats.Randy has an entire closet full of viking hats.Randy has an entire closet full of viking hats.Randy has an entire closet full of viking hats.Randy has an entire closet full of viking hats.Randy has an entire closet full of viking hats.
Feedback Score: 17 reviews
Depends how you define "surprisingly little". I prefaced with "can't be bothered to dig through this whole thread" just to cover my ass on some specifics I might've missed but I've been keeping tabs on this one and had the opposite opinion... I'm actually surprised at the very thinly veiled bigotry TBH.

I don't care if it rains or freezes
Long as I got my plastic Jesus
Sittin' on the dashboard of my car

Argbadh - RHLCİ
Randy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-16-2012, 05:01 PM   #214
SS.org Regular
 
flint757's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 5,085
Thanked: 9
flint757 is a splendid one to beholdflint757 is a splendid one to beholdflint757 is a splendid one to beholdflint757 is a splendid one to beholdflint757 is a splendid one to behold
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy View Post
Depends how you define "surprisingly little". I prefaced with "can't be bothered to dig through this whole thread" just to cover my ass on some specifics I might've missed but I've been keeping tabs on this one and had the opposite opinion... I'm actually surprised at the very thinly veiled bigotry TBH.
Ya it is about half and half I'd say. Although in the middle of the thread it really wasn't nearly as prevalent as it is now if my memory serves well.

In terms of the thinly veiled bigotry it feels more like hypocrisy to me which is just as bad. Some of the rebuttals feel like when someone says, "because you live in a first world country you have nothing to complain about", in style like the civil rights stuff. Just because someone had it worse at a point in time does not mean someone else should be ignored.

As a counter argument to something mentioned earlier when it was said that someone can hide being gay, what if someone back in the 60's said you could just put on a coat of white skin so don't worry about us being racist (if that were possible). You'd be offended and find that that is indeed not a fix for the problem, it is barely a band aid (not at all really). Sounds ridiculous doesn't it, but that is what some are basically suggesting for LGBT people.

"In Djod We Trust"

flint757 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-16-2012, 05:19 PM   #215
H. Maddas
 
Pooluke41's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Cornwall, UK
Posts: 2,207
Thanked: 88
Pooluke41 is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Pooluke41 is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Pooluke41 is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Pooluke41 is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Pooluke41 is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Pooluke41 is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Pooluke41 is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by flint757 View Post
As a counter argument to something mentioned earlier when it was said that someone can hide being gay, what if someone back in the 60's said you could just put on a coat of white skin so don't worry about us being racist (if that were possible).
I don't think that they meant that you can hide it. eg: stay in the closet.
I think they meant that it's not a notable trait that you can see. Unless you are told that that person is gay you wouldn't know it. While being black is something you can't hide.

EDIT: I wrote the wrong thing..... Just noticed it this morning..



Member of the Injustice League with Jaake, BrainArt and -42

I am "The red marmalade", a super awesome crime fighter who's power involves throwing chunky marmalade into the eyes of orphans; blinding them and stopping them from becoming successful.


This cosmic dance; bursting decadence and withheld permissions, twists all our arms collectively. But, if sweetness can win, and it can, then I'll still be here tomorrow to high-five you yesterday, my friend. Peace.-Royal Tart Toter.
Pooluke41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-16-2012, 05:20 PM   #216
Banned
 
Stealthdjentstic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Vancouver, BC, Canadia
Posts: 19,953
Thanked: 338
Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Thats not what drakkar was saying at all. He was just saying you cant compare discrimination blacks faced with discrimination lgbt peeps do today.
Stealthdjentstic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-16-2012, 05:24 PM   #217
SS.org Regular
 
flint757's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 5,085
Thanked: 9
flint757 is a splendid one to beholdflint757 is a splendid one to beholdflint757 is a splendid one to beholdflint757 is a splendid one to beholdflint757 is a splendid one to behold
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealthdjentstic View Post
Thats not what drakkar was saying at all. He was just saying you cant compare discrimination blacks faced with discrimination lgbt peeps do today.
And my point is that doesn't diminish the problem in the slightest...

[EDIT]
That'd also be like saying Jews have suffered far more than black people so that didn't matter either though as another comparisons. Which again would be absolutely ridiculous. When this come to people being treated worse/less than human it does not change the fact that someone is being treated unfairly and perhaps violently abused in many cases.
highlordmugfug and Nimgoble like this.

"In Djod We Trust"

flint757 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-16-2012, 05:27 PM   #218
Banned
 
Stealthdjentstic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Vancouver, BC, Canadia
Posts: 19,953
Thanked: 338
Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Yeah, its just an offensive thing to say is all.
Stealthdjentstic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-16-2012, 05:32 PM   #219
SS.org Regular
 
flint757's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 5,085
Thanked: 9
flint757 is a splendid one to beholdflint757 is a splendid one to beholdflint757 is a splendid one to beholdflint757 is a splendid one to beholdflint757 is a splendid one to behold
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealthdjentstic View Post
Yeah, its just an offensive thing to say is all.
Touchy subjects always come across as offensive on both sides usually.

"In Djod We Trust"

flint757 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-16-2012, 05:39 PM   #220
Formerly Lern2Swim
 
Ben.Last's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 2,814
Thanked: 15
Ben.Last is a glorious beacon of lightBen.Last is a glorious beacon of lightBen.Last is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy View Post
Depends how you define "surprisingly little". I prefaced with "can't be bothered to dig through this whole thread" just to cover my ass on some specifics I might've missed but I've been keeping tabs on this one and had the opposite opinion... I'm actually surprised at the very thinly veiled bigotry TBH.
I'd be interested is knowing what you're considering to be thinly veiled bigotry.
For the most part, the only statements I've seen bigotry in have been contributed by people who've hopped into the thread, trolled some closed minded crap, then ran.
Ben.Last is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-16-2012, 06:15 PM   #221
SS.org Regular
 
flint757's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 5,085
Thanked: 9
flint757 is a splendid one to beholdflint757 is a splendid one to beholdflint757 is a splendid one to beholdflint757 is a splendid one to beholdflint757 is a splendid one to behold
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lern2swim View Post
I'd be interested is knowing what you're considering to be thinly veiled bigotry.
For the most part, the only statements I've seen bigotry in have been contributed by people who've hopped into the thread, trolled some closed minded crap, then ran.
Ya that is the bulk of it

"In Djod We Trust"

flint757 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-16-2012, 06:41 PM   #222
SS.org Regular
 
bhakan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: State College, Pennsylvania
Posts: 1,012
Thanked: 17
bhakan is just really nicebhakan is just really nice
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghstofperdition View Post
...I see victories like what this girl achieved be blackened by hate, narrow-mindedness and just plain mean-spiritedness...
I don't think there has really been that much hate in this thread. There have definitely been some insensitive posts (and I in no way condone them), but most people have worded their posts nicely. Saying it in a negative way such as saying " transgender people are freaks and will never in any way be male/female" is hateful and terrible, or saying something with no backing whatsoever (even nicely) is hate, like if someone says "I don't believe black people are as intelligent as white people," but nicely stating that even after a sex change a transgender person still has his/her original chromosomes is not really hateful and the people generally mean well.

EDIT: just realized the same topic was addressed in the posts directly above mine. If you were only referring to the couple of posts that were blatantly hateful then we are on the same page, so this would be invalid.
bhakan is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-16-2012, 07:24 PM   #223
WWSD?
 
DrakkarTyrannis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Maryland
Posts: 4,180
Thanked: 130
DrakkarTyrannis is the epitome of metal.DrakkarTyrannis is the epitome of metal.DrakkarTyrannis is the epitome of metal.DrakkarTyrannis is the epitome of metal.DrakkarTyrannis is the epitome of metal.DrakkarTyrannis is the epitome of metal.DrakkarTyrannis is the epitome of metal.DrakkarTyrannis is the epitome of metal.DrakkarTyrannis is the epitome of metal.
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by flint757 View Post
This actually matches a post I said earlier where a comparison/analogy leads to an emotional response dude. And even though you are right for sure that black people had it bad for a very long time, comparing yourself to their cause is just as insulting because things are not nearly as bad today as it was back then either.

I know people who couldn't be hired if they found out they were gay and there are instance of people getting the shit kicked out of them for being gay or any other form of LGBT so I disagree with you. Just because it is smaller numbers does not mean it isn't similar. You in fact are disgracing another culture just because you think it is worse. Yes someone can hide being gay, but that is ridiculous logic to say it just doesn't matter as much as someone else's struggles.
Similar in some ways..yes..but trying to pretend they're on the same level is an out and out lie. I'm not comparing myself to anything..as I've had a pretty good life on both fronts, however my close relatives were actually around during those times and they had it a lot worse. Getting into a fight for being gay is nowhere on the same level.
DrakkarTyrannis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-16-2012, 08:34 PM   #224
SS.org Regular
 
flint757's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 5,085
Thanked: 9
flint757 is a splendid one to beholdflint757 is a splendid one to beholdflint757 is a splendid one to beholdflint757 is a splendid one to beholdflint757 is a splendid one to behold
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrakkarTyrannis View Post
Similar in some ways..yes..but trying to pretend they're on the same level is an out and out lie. I'm not comparing myself to anything..as I've had a pretty good life on both fronts, however my close relatives were actually around during those times and they had it a lot worse. Getting into a fight for being gay is nowhere on the same level.
That is fair

By no means do I think they are the same either just that the smaller size doesn't make it any less bad.

"In Djod We Trust"

flint757 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-16-2012, 10:08 PM   #225
Lazy Ryebread Viking
 
ilyti's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Iqaluit (Nunavut), Canada
Posts: 2,298
Thanked: 23
ilyti is a name known to allilyti is a name known to allilyti is a name known to allilyti is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Guys, I wish we could all agree that Drak's view on the matter (that it's silly to comparing this issue to the civil rights movement) is completely right. If a gay black man has an opinion on whether being black or being gay is more of a challenge, take it from him. He has first hand experience with both, so his opinion should carry more weight with everyone. :2cents:
ilyti is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:35 PM.


Our Network: PRS Guitar Forum | Luthier Forum | SG Guitar Forum | Les Paul Forum | Marshall Amp Forum | Acoustic Guitar Forum

SS.org proudly supports St. Jude Children's Research Hospital

Copyright © 2004-2014, SevenString.org. All Rights Reserved.