homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   photo gallery   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > General Discussion > Politics & Current Events
LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter

Politics & Current Events Discussion on political views, the war and world events here. Strictly moderated forum, so use your better judgement when posting.

Like Tree12Likes
  • 2 Post By C2Aye
  • 6 Post By SamSam
  • 2 Post By vampiregenocide
  • 1 Post By 7 Dying Trees
  • 1 Post By athawulf

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 03-22-2012, 07:33 PM   #1
The White-Knuckler

Philligan has much to be proud ofPhilligan has much to be proud ofPhilligan has much to be proud ofPhilligan has much to be proud ofPhilligan has much to be proud ofPhilligan has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
UK Student Extradited to US for Piracy

So the TVShack admin (a 23 year old dude) has been in prison in the UK for hosting copyrighted material, and now he's gonna get extradited to the states and faces prison time there

https://torrentfreak.com/pirating-uk...the-us-120313/

My Flickr.

"it blowed the emg's in the dirt" - De Vries

"Richlite is to Paper Mache as Carbon Composite is to charcoal briquettes." - Max
Philligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
Seven String

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 03-22-2012, 11:03 PM   #2
He seldomly knows...

Explorer is the epitome of metal.Explorer is the epitome of metal.Explorer is the epitome of metal.Explorer is the epitome of metal.Explorer is the epitome of metal.Explorer is the epitome of metal.Explorer is the epitome of metal.Explorer is the epitome of metal.Explorer is the epitome of metal.
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
I'm not sure I understand the story stating that linking is legal in the UK, but that the person was in jail. What was he in jail for? Had he violated any UK laws?

Somehow, I'm feeling like the news story omitted a few details to make a point. What's missing?

If you don't care enough to research your own question, why should anyone else care more?

"Pay no attention to his long winded posts... (Explorer) seldomly knows what he's talking about."

"Actual knowledge and a google bookmark are very different things." Anonymous neg-repper
Explorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-23-2012, 05:26 AM   #3
Bonitis.

Necris is shredding to new heights.Necris is shredding to new heights.Necris is shredding to new heights.Necris is shredding to new heights.Necris is shredding to new heights.Necris is shredding to new heights.Necris is shredding to new heights.
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
I'm going to second needing more details, although I am confused that someone who has never stepped foot in the United States is being extradited here, but then again I have no working knowledge of extradition laws for either country involved.

Extreme Syncopation =/= Poly-rhythmic

Necris is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-23-2012, 11:48 AM   #4
SS.org Regular

pink freud is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/pink freud is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/pink freud is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/pink freud is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/pink freud is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/pink freud is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/pink freud is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I'm guessing we two countries have a treaty stating that we will respect each others copyrights and people caught breaking them will be subject to charges in whichever respective country the copyright resides in.
pink freud is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-23-2012, 11:01 PM   #5
He seldomly knows...

Explorer is the epitome of metal.Explorer is the epitome of metal.Explorer is the epitome of metal.Explorer is the epitome of metal.Explorer is the epitome of metal.Explorer is the epitome of metal.Explorer is the epitome of metal.Explorer is the epitome of metal.Explorer is the epitome of metal.
That still doesn't explain why he's already in jail. They wouldn't stick him in a UK prison for violating a foreign law.

----

One day, when we were reading the morning paper, I noticed a story about some homeless people who had started a fire in a house and had burned to death in the night. I was struck by the photos of the people from while they were alive... and wondered where the photos of the homeless had come from. My girlfriend was upset that I wasn't more sympathetic about their trying to stay warm.

Doing a little digging, I found out they were photos from when the people had variously been arrested for crimes both large and small, including violent crimes, including drug crimes (not simple possession).

My girlfriend apologized to me for having been suspicious of there being more to the story... but only after I showed how much more there was. *laugh*

If you don't care enough to research your own question, why should anyone else care more?

"Pay no attention to his long winded posts... (Explorer) seldomly knows what he's talking about."

"Actual knowledge and a google bookmark are very different things." Anonymous neg-repper
Unread 03-24-2012, 08:39 AM   #6
has the groove.

C2Aye has much to be proud ofC2Aye has much to be proud ofC2Aye has much to be proud ofC2Aye has much to be proud ofC2Aye has much to be proud ofC2Aye has much to be proud ofC2Aye has much to be proud of
Richard O'Dwyer - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

This has a bit more info on the context of the situation. He spent one night in prison when the extradition request was made, which makes it seem like he was arrested at the request of another government. The extradition treaty between the US and the UK is very much a one-way deal which the UK having no similar powers over citizens in the US.
C2Aye is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-24-2012, 04:40 PM   #7
GAS problems

SamSam is just really niceSamSam is just really nice
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
The USA ignore serveral international bodies of law as they see fit and expect extradition orders of their own to be carried out. This is nothing new.
SamSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-24-2012, 05:14 PM   #8
A Chap Called Ross

vampiregenocide harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.vampiregenocide harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.vampiregenocide harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.vampiregenocide harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.vampiregenocide harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.vampiregenocide harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.vampiregenocide harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.vampiregenocide harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.vampiregenocide harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.vampiregenocide harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.vampiregenocide harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.vampiregenocide harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.vampiregenocide harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.
Bit stupid really. Our citizens who break laws in our country should be dealt with by our justice system.
Michael T and Bigfan like this.
vampiregenocide is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-27-2012, 01:55 AM   #9
7string Ghost

Iamasingularity is a jewel in the rough
This is just unjust. Anonymous have launched Operation Retribution in regards to this case.

Grand Moff Tim: "Sometimes when you want some ass, you have to eat some fake lashes. That's just life man.

Red Seas Fire: "When it doubt, downpick everything."
Iamasingularity is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-27-2012, 06:23 PM   #10
Dan

Dan is pretty damn metal.Dan is pretty damn metal.Dan is pretty damn metal.Dan is pretty damn metal.Dan is pretty damn metal.Dan is pretty damn metal.Dan is pretty damn metal.Dan is pretty damn metal.
Feedback Score: 12 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamasingularity View Post
This is just unjust. Anonymous have launched Operation Retribution in regards to this case.
What is that going to prove though? They will just take down another website or two and people will forget about it next week

I find it appaling that the US can just simply do this and get away with it. I couldn't care less if this kid has broken their laws, he was in the UK when he did it and he should be sent to trial here. It would be like me crossing the road in the middle of the street in the UK and getting a fine from the US for jaywalking

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-27-2012, 09:28 PM   #11
He seldomly knows...

Having heard many arguments for and against extradition during the whole Pinochet thing, I'm fascinated by the novel claim that someone shouldn't be extradited to a country if the crime of which they are accused wasn't performed in that country, and if the action was legal in their own country.

I'm not saying that this rises to the same level as Pinochet's actions, but just noticing that the claim is novel, and that there are many instances of successful extradition where the accused never set foot in the country pursuing extradition.

Unread 03-31-2012, 09:11 AM   #12
Dan

Dan is pretty damn metal.Dan is pretty damn metal.Dan is pretty damn metal.Dan is pretty damn metal.Dan is pretty damn metal.Dan is pretty damn metal.Dan is pretty damn metal.Dan is pretty damn metal.
Feedback Score: 12 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Explorer View Post
Having heard many arguments for and against extradition during the whole Pinochet thing, I'm fascinated by the novel claim that someone shouldn't be extradited to a country if the crime of which they are accused wasn't performed in that country, and if the action was legal in their own country.

I'm not saying that this rises to the same level as Pinochet's actions, but just noticing that the claim is novel, and that there are many instances of successful extradition where the accused never set foot in the country pursuing extradition.
But the issue at hand isnt about any form of action taking place on US soil. It took place in Cyberspace. Sure some people in the USA may have clicked on his website, but because they clicked and watched the video on US soil does that make him a criminal? He never actually uploaded anything for people to watch, he simply laid the platform for others to do so.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-31-2012, 02:44 PM   #13
He seldomly knows...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan View Post
But the issue at hand isnt about any form of action taking place on US soil. It took place in Cyberspace. Sure some people in the USA may have clicked on his website, but because they clicked and watched the video on US soil does that make him a criminal? He never actually uploaded anything for people to watch, he simply laid the platform for others to do so.
I thought he encouraged the posting and availability of copyrighted materials, including those of copyright holders who are located in the US.

I understand your viewpoint, that a member of a carjacking ring who is in another country shouldn't be held liable if a car is stolen in the US but sent to, say, Russia. It's not a matter of where a crime has been done in this case, apparently, but where the victim is located.

----

I also understand the argument that cybercrime and pirating isn't criminal in the minds of some, but if it is recognized in the law, then invoking the cyberspace argument isn't really relevant unless you change the laws and remove the legal principle of copyright. Given that copyright is the basis of intellectual property, I don't think that will go forward.

Unread 04-01-2012, 03:10 AM   #14
7string Ghost

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan View Post
What is that going to prove though? They will just take down another website or two and people will forget about it next week
No, that is not what will happen. There will be a list exposing government workers/officials use of sites such as tvshack, along with a video on the operation. Yeah attacks are aimed for gathering attention usually, not info.

I really don't get why it's so hard to understand that this extraditation law is flawed and being used for corrupt reasons. With this extraditation going through, it is a clear invitation for the US government to extradite more citizens of the UK. It's pretty obvious that tvshack is not the only link hosting site, with thousands, even more accessing such services on a daily basis. There is no question that this extraditation "agreement" is broken, a major deprivation of human rights as well as a global threat. He should be tried at his nation's court, not handed over to another government on a silver platter.

MPs: UK must overhaul US extradition treaty now | News | ZDNet UK

Grand Moff Tim: "Sometimes when you want some ass, you have to eat some fake lashes. That's just life man.

Unread 04-03-2012, 09:39 AM   #15
Sarcy English Twat

Location: 7th Ethereal Plane of interstellar hell, Innit Bruv, Safe, London, UK
7 Dying Trees has an entire closet full of viking hats.7 Dying Trees has an entire closet full of viking hats.7 Dying Trees has an entire closet full of viking hats.7 Dying Trees has an entire closet full of viking hats.7 Dying Trees has an entire closet full of viking hats.7 Dying Trees has an entire closet full of viking hats.7 Dying Trees has an entire closet full of viking hats.7 Dying Trees has an entire closet full of viking hats.7 Dying Trees has an entire closet full of viking hats.7 Dying Trees has an entire closet full of viking hats.7 Dying Trees has an entire closet full of viking hats.7 Dying Trees has an entire closet full of viking hats.7 Dying Trees has an entire closet full of viking hats.
Feedback Score: 44 reviews
You know, any country with any amount of pride would protect it's citizens.

That soldier who killed a load of innocent afghans, he's not going to be tried in Afghanistan is he now.

Double standards.

Even more reasons to leave the country :/
Dan likes this.

The Chaos has come:
www.chaosanct.com
7 Dying Trees is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-03-2012, 07:48 PM   #16
SS.org Regular

athawulf is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Can we extradite the people that thought this was a reasonable course of action back to reality so we can slap the shit out of them?
Necris likes this.

athawulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-04-2012, 12:38 PM   #17
SS.org Regular

ViolaceousVerdance will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by athawulf View Post
Can we extradite the people that thought this was a reasonable course of action back to reality so we can slap the shit out of them?
Yes, please
ViolaceousVerdance is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-05-2012, 12:31 AM   #18
7string Ghost

#OR is on course.